Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Sep 2014, 12:08

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Duke Fuqua 2012 - Calling All Applicants

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.5
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 19

Re: Fuqua 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 11 Sep 2011, 16:45
Any GMATclubber interviewing during the open interview period (Sep15-Oct15). I am thinking about scheduling an interview and a campus visit sometime late september. Just wanna see if anybody else is planning to do the same during the open period.
Thanks.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: Fuqua 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 12 Sep 2011, 04:45
topMBA12 wrote:
Any GMATclubber interviewing during the open interview period (Sep15-Oct15). I am thinking about scheduling an interview and a campus visit sometime late september. Just wanna see if anybody else is planning to do the same during the open period.
Thanks.

My interview is set for Saturday 10/1. I heard they had sat interview slots so I jumped on one when the interviews opened up.
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V39
GPA: 3.13
WE: Corporate Finance (Aerospace and Defense)
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 43 [0], given: 46

GMAT Tests User
Re: Fuqua 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 12 Sep 2011, 05:08
rgupta83 wrote:
topMBA12 wrote:
Thanks.

My interview is set for Saturday 10/1. I heard they had sat interview slots so I jumped on one when the interviews opened up.

My visit/interview is Friday the 23rd. I was thinking about the saturday slots, but I wanted to sit in on a class. I'm applying R1 (11/1) so I thought the class visit would give me more ammo for my essays.

Also, my little sister goes to NC State (~15 miles away) so I have a free place to stay!

Go Blue!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: Fuqua 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 12 Sep 2011, 06:49
tfincham86 wrote:
My visit/interview is Friday the 23rd. I was thinking about the saturday slots, but I wanted to sit in on a class. I'm applying R1 (11/1) so I thought the class visit would give me more ammo for my essays.

Also, my little sister goes to NC State (~15 miles away) so I have a free place to stay!

Yea I had to reserve my slot without knowing what I would be doing. I am trying to make it to campus on Friday for class visit and what not but not sure it will work out with my current project.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.65
WE: Consulting (Telecommunications)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 6

Re: Fuqua 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 12 Sep 2011, 12:15
In for EA ...if my APp is ready ...swamped with work as of now...

but if app is not satisfactory will apply in R1.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: 560 Q36 V31

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 27

GMAT Tests User
Re: Fuqua 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2011, 01:34
Has anyone here applied to the Early action round already?

I was thinking of early action. But doesn't seem like it'll happen.

petrifiedbutstanding

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: Q V
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 79 [0], given: 157

GMAT Tests User
Re: Fuqua 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 16 Sep 2011, 10:18
What is with the application form asking " Have you taken the services of any Admission Consultant"?

There could be two implications.

They may think that your writing skills are not reflected by the essays.
They may be interested in starting an admissions consultation offered by the school itself, why waste it on third party when the professors and students can make money

danza kuduro song is good.

If you found the reply to be helpful, give kudos.

Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 18

Re: Fuqua 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 16 Sep 2011, 10:21
BlueRobin wrote:
What is with the application form asking " Have you taken the services of any Admission Consultant"?

They may be interested in starting an admissions consultation offered by the school itself, why waste it on thord party when the professors and students can make money

Good question.
Did anyone use a consultant and lie about it on the application?
Did anyone use a consultant and admit to it?

Also, how truthful were people on the list of other schools that they applied to?
I chose to leave a couple off.
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V35

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 9

Re: Fuqua 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 18 Sep 2011, 08:15
I am in for round 1 :)
Current Student

GMAT Tests User
Re: Fuqua 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 19 Sep 2011, 04:20
My interview is this friday and I couldn't be more excited. This will be my first time seeing Fuqua in action as I've been on campus a few times on my own.

Do any current Fuqua students have any suggestions on anything I 'must do' or 'must see' on my visit?

I'll be there all day friday, into the late evening as my sister lives in Raleigh so I have a free place to stay!

Go Blue!

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: Fuqua 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 20 Sep 2011, 04:20
hi guys, im in for R1
i have a question. my undergrad GPA is super shitty, a 2.4 (i just plain slacked off cuz i got too interested in sports i.e club level football) anywho, ill have 5 years WE at the time of matriculation, specifically in the energy industry,ima petrolem engg., with all 5 years being a combination of technical/managerial exp. Also 2 promotions and a $2 millon cost savings proposal, presented infront of the managing director, later i think i have some solid work ex. my goals are inline with my career uptill now, and i have done significant research on them which i think can be clearly seen in my essays.
now my question is
do i need to seperately address my GPA in the optional essay?
i have a gmat of 720 v42 q47.
very good recs. from my boss and my mentor.
and also if i do write it, then do i talk about my stint with football and what i learnt from it, as in soul serching/ finding myself by pursuing my goal.

Posted from my mobile device Image
Expert Post
VP
VP
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2012
Followers: 28

Kudos [?]: 323 [0], given: 19

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Fuqua 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 20 Sep 2011, 18:44
Expert's post
tfincham86 wrote:
Do any current Fuqua students have any suggestions on anything I 'must do' or 'must see' on my visit?
I would highly suggest that you to go Fuqua Friday. You can get to know the students and the culture. Also reach out to the professional clubs in the career you are interested in to see if you can speak with some current students. Just note, that it's short notice, so be cognizant of that when reaching out.

Diversity

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: Fuqua 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 21 Sep 2011, 05:25
spellbinder wrote:
hi guys, im in for R1
i have a question. my undergrad GPA is super shitty, a 2.4 (i just plain slacked off cuz i got too interested in sports i.e club level football) anywho, ill have 5 years WE at the time of matriculation, specifically in the energy industry,ima petrolem engg., with all 5 years being a combination of technical/managerial exp. Also 2 promotions and a $2 millon cost savings proposal, presented infront of the managing director, later i think i have some solid work ex. my goals are inline with my career uptill now, and i have done significant research on them which i think can be clearly seen in my essays.
now my question is
do i need to seperately address my GPA in the optional essay?
i have a gmat of 720 v42 q47.
very good recs. from my boss and my mentor.
and also if i do write it, then do i talk about my stint with football and what i learnt from it, as in soul serching/ finding myself by pursuing my goal.

I would definitely call it out if there are any trends you can address. If every semester/quarter was just around 2.4 it might not make sense, but if there are peaks and valleys you can try to explain what changed during that time.
Manager
Manager

Re: Fuqua 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 21 Sep 2011, 06:05
asimov wrote:
tfincham86 wrote:
I would highly suggest that you to go Fuqua Friday. You can get to know the students and the culture. Also reach out to the professional clubs in the career you are interested in to see if you can speak with some current students. Just note, that it's short notice, so be cognizant of that when reaching out.

Anyone planning to visit this Friday?
I will be visiting. Not interviewing, though.
Current Student

GMAT Tests User
Re: Fuqua 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 21 Sep 2011, 06:34
LionsSBC12 wrote:
asimov wrote:
tfincham86 wrote:

I'll be there all day for a visit/interview.

Go Blue!

Expert Post
VP
VP
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2012
Followers: 28

Kudos [?]: 323 [0], given: 19

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Fuqua 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 22 Sep 2011, 13:15
Expert's post
LionsSBC12 wrote:

Hi LionsSBC12, if you are visiting, you should contact the General Management Club at Fuqua. Saw that on your profile interest. They are pretty cool people, I bet they would be happy to chat with you at Fuqua Friday.
http://fuqua.campusgroups.com/gmc/home/

Diversity

Manager
Manager

Re: Fuqua 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 22 Sep 2011, 15:27
asimov wrote:
LionsSBC12 wrote:

Hi LionsSBC12, if you are visiting, you should contact the General Management Club at Fuqua. Saw that on your profile interest. They are pretty cool people, I bet they would be happy to chat with you at Fuqua Friday.
http://fuqua.campusgroups.com/gmc/home/

Hey Asimov,

I'm actually a step ahead of you on that.
I have already spoken with a member of the GMC and have made arrangements to meet with a few of them tomorrow!
Thanks for recommending it though!
Current Student

GMAT Tests User
Re: Fuqua 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 24 Sep 2011, 03:09
I just got back from my visit/interview at Fuqua. I'll post a full rundown later but my time there was a blast. Fuqua and all the people there are really amazing!

Go Blue!

Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Fuqua 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 24 Sep 2011, 08:24
LionsSBC12 wrote:
BlueRobin wrote:

They may be interested in starting an admissions consultation offered by the school itself, why waste it on thord party when the professors and students can make money

Good question.
Did anyone use a consultant and lie about it on the application?
Did anyone use a consultant and admit to it?

Also, how truthful were people on the list of other schools that they applied to?
I chose to leave a couple off.

I am curious about this as well. What does everyone think about this? Do you guys think Duke is going to reject people on the basis that they used a consultant?
Current Student
Affiliations: Beta Gamma Sigma - Business Honors Society, FINRA Securities Licenses, CA Insurance Licenses
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V38
GMAT 2: 750 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.47
WE: Sales (Retail Banking)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 8

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: Fuqua 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 24 Sep 2011, 08:41
R2

Brandon Hoffman
http://www.linkedin.com/in/bdhoffman

Management Leadership of Tomorrow (MLT) - MBA Programs Fellow
MLT LA Chapter - Board Member / Recruiting Officer
Net Impact - Professional Chapter Co-President
MBADiversity Organization - Global Fellow, CHINA

Re: Fuqua 2012 - Calling All Applicants   [#permalink] 24 Sep 2011, 08:41