Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Sep 2014, 22:50

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling all Duke-Fuqua Applicants(2015 Intake) Class of 2017

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 750 Q48 V45
GPA: 3.97
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Re: Calling all Duke-Fuqua Applicants(2015 Intake) Class of 2017 [#permalink] New post 21 Aug 2014, 13:28
Thanks for the write-up Farhan. Very cool of you to go and report back!
VP
VP
Followers: 73

Kudos [?]: 444 [0], given: 452

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Calling all Duke-Fuqua Applicants(2015 Intake) Class of 2017 [#permalink] New post 21 Aug 2014, 20:01
stevenfuqua wrote:
asimov wrote:
stevenfuqua wrote:
I'm looking forward to a relaxing year 2 :-D
LoL, don't buy the SY propaganda. Fall semester is probably the hardest one, unless you already got a return offer and plan to go back. Spring will be better, especially if you go study abroad. Enjoy your SY.

Hey now, don't shatter my dreams. At least we get to pick our own teams..

Haha.. Thanks for coming to the rescue, Asimov.

Steven, let's catch up when you're here!

My Debrief | MBA Timeline - New! Stay on top of deadlines, receive recommendations for each stage, get reminders.

Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

Annual Report Digs Into Duke MBA Hiring Trends [#permalink] New post 22 Aug 2014, 10:00
FROM Fuqua Current Student Blogs: Annual Report Digs Into Duke MBA Hiring Trends
Every year Fuqua pulls together employment data that confirms our continued status as a top-tier business school. But before our 2013-2014 final report is published later this fall, I wanted to share some preliminary statistics and trends for the Duke Daytime MBA Classes of 2014 (full-time) and 2015 (intern).

There are some prominent themes we observed this past year–those of diversification, personalization, and complexity. Each is increasingly prevalent for our students and employers. Our students have highly diverse interests, and want and need customized ways to navigate a relatively robust yet complex job market. On the employer side, increasingly specific talent needs are reflected in their recruiting processes and the competition to capture student attention.

Our role at Fuqua, and especially within the Career Management Center (CMC),  is to satisfy both student and employer priorities and to grow Duke’s brand in the global job market–something that will benefit our current students and 18,000+ alumni. To accomplish our goal we will continue to strengthen our recruiting network in the U.S. and around the globe, with not only large employers but also small to medium-sized businesses and start-up companies, across key industries and functions.

For additional insights and career trends from last year, please read excerpts from the CMC annual report for 2013 – 2014.

ForumBlogs - GMAT Club’s latest feature blends timely Blog entries with forum discussions. Now GMAT Club Forums incorporate all relevant information from Student, Admissions blogs, Twitter, and other sources in one place. You no longer have to check and follow dozens of blogs, just subscribe to the relevant topics and forums on GMAT club or follow the posters and you will get email notifications when something new is posted. Add your blog to the list! and be featured to over 300,000 unique monthly visitors

This post has been originally posted on the Admissions Blog and re-posted here for convenience

Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

Annual Report Digs Into Duke MBA Hiring Trends [#permalink] New post 26 Aug 2014, 13:00
FROM Fuqua Current Student Blogs: Annual Report Digs Into Duke MBA Hiring Trends
Every year Fuqua pulls together employment data that confirms our continued status as a top-tier business school. But before our 2013-2014 final report is published later this fall, I wanted to share some preliminary statistics and trends for the Duke Daytime MBA Classes of 2014 (full-time) and 2015 (intern).

There are some prominent themes we observed this past year–those of diversification, personalization, and complexity. Each is increasingly prevalent for our students and employers. Our students have highly diverse interests, and want and need customized ways to navigate a relatively robust yet complex job market. On the employer side, increasingly specific talent needs are reflected in their recruiting processes and the competition to capture student attention.

Our role at Fuqua, and especially within the Career Management Center (CMC),  is to satisfy both student and employer priorities and to grow Duke’s brand in the global job market–something that will benefit our current students and 18,000+ alumni. To accomplish our goal we will continue to strengthen our recruiting network in the U.S. and around the globe, with not only large employers but also small to medium-sized businesses and start-up companies, across key industries and functions.

For additional insights and career trends from last year, please read excerpts from the CMC annual report for 2013 – 2014.

ForumBlogs - GMAT Club’s latest feature blends timely Blog entries with forum discussions. Now GMAT Club Forums incorporate all relevant information from Student, Admissions blogs, Twitter, and other sources in one place. You no longer have to check and follow dozens of blogs, just subscribe to the relevant topics and forums on GMAT club or follow the posters and you will get email notifications when something new is posted. Add your blog to the list! and be featured to over 300,000 unique monthly visitors

This post has been originally posted on the Admissions Blog and re-posted here for convenience

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 25 [1] , given: 17

Re: Calling all Duke-Fuqua Applicants(2015 Intake) Class of 2017 [#permalink] New post 29 Aug 2014, 20:12
This post received
KUDOS
The questions in the letter of recommendations have changed. When I spoke to my recommenders, I had used these questions during the discussion: http://www.fuqua.duke.edu/daytime-mba/a ... tructions/

I am told that the questions in the online form are different.
Fuqua Thread Master
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V37
GMAT 2: 720 Q47 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Other (Non-Profit and Government)

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 11

GMAT ToolKit User
Calling all Duke-Fuqua Applicants(2015 Intake) Class of 2017 [#permalink] New post 30 Aug 2014, 14:53
Hello Guys,

We recently got an opportunity to talk to Current Duke student and Prominent GMATClub member - Stevenfuqua - and get his insights on Duke MBA programs. Here are the excerpts from the discussion.

Steven is currently an MBA student at the Duke University Fuqua School of Business (Class of 2015). He is passionate about health care commercialization and entrepreneurship. In the summer of 2014, he completed his commercial internship at Bristol-Myers Squibb. Prior to school he was in the science world and did research at the National Institutes of Health for 3 years studying HIV and the human immune system.

Who would be an ideal applicant to your program based on admissions, culture, and the program in general?

Steven:- There is no ideal applicant to Fuqua. We come from such a wide range of backgrounds and diverse set of cultures that makes it impossible to answer this question. What you may be asking is whether there is a set of qualities that make people successful in Fuqua's culture. Here are a few that I've noticed consistently:

A. Passionate. Fuqua students are very passionate about what they do. This is what drives them in pursuing career choices that are both traditional and less traditional for MBAs. Applicants who stand for something and want to make a difference in the world will find themselves very happy here.

B. Team player. Fuqua students want each other to succeed. We want to win, but only when the team wins as well. We are very authentic with each other and develop deep personal relationships in the two years that we are here. If you excel in a collaborative environment and enjoy trusting your team mates, then Fuqua is a great place.

C. Has consequential leadership potential. At Fuqua, we don't just teach leadership, we produce the consequential leaders of tomorrow. By consequential, we mean leaders who not only drive shareholder value, but also make the world a better place. We teach leaders to follow their moral compass and stick with their values. We view true leaders as those who decide to pursue the hard rights and not the easy wrongs. People who have this and #2 in their DNA will succeed at Fuqua.

D. Is excellent, but recognizes the need to grow. Fuqua students were excellent in their past careers, but were reflective enough to understand their developmental needs. Fuqua students have the capacity to identify their weaknesses and act on them during their two years here.

GPA, GMAT, Application Essays, Interview, Work Experience, and Extra Curricular. If you asked to arrange these parameters in the order of their importance at Fuqua – what would it be?

Steven:- Work Experience, EC, Interview, Essays, GMAT, GPA - in this order.

What advantage, if any, is there in applying in a specific round over another?

Steven:- Can't confirm for Fuqua, but generally for b-schools, EA>R2=R1>R3

Are the on-campus and off-campus interviews treated equally or there is any preference to one over other?

Steven:- I'd assume that they would be treated equally as Fuqua is looking to attract the best talent globally.

Do you recommend a school visit? Is it a must?

Steven:- A school visit is highly recommended, but not necessary. There are many other ways to learn about the school culture and classroom experience, such as speaking to current students.

Can you comment on the Employment process of the school? What support do students get from Career Services dept, peers, and alumni?

Steven:-

Recruiting preparation starts in the summer. Students begin having sessions on resumes, interviews, networking during Global Institute in August. Then in September students are matched with their career fellows (second year MBAs), who help them with their resumes, cover letters, and interview preps. In general, companies start coming to campus in Fall 1 and Fall 2, and those are the busiest terms for internship recruiting.

The Career Management Center (CMC): engages with Fuqua starting during the summer prior the the first year. The CMC mainly plays two roles: (A) They teach students how to optimize our resumes and cover letters, manage the off-campus recruiting process, and coach students for interviews. (B) They engage with companies and make sure the best companies come to campus and that students have access to recruiters at those companies.

Peers: Second years are actively involved in coaching first year MBAs. Student clubs host career events that are designed to help first years navigate the recruiting process and offer tips from those who went before them. Career fellows are actively coaching students. Second years in general are very open to having one-on-ones with first years who are interested in the firms they interned at or who just want to learn more about the industry, do casing/interview prep, etc. Fuqua is very student-run, as I've blogged about.

Alumni: In general Fuqua has a very active and engaged alumni network. We are given the tools to begin our off campus job search early and we start with alumni first. Many alumni serve as recruiters for companies that come on campus as well. Fuqua also has structured programs that match alumni with current students, offering formal mentorship opportunities, in addition to an endless amount of informal resources.

Which companies (and from which sectors) generally recruit in the school? How strong school’s alumni network is?

Steven:- Fuqua is a general management program and gets a wide range of sectors and a big list of companies that come on campus. I'd encourage prospective students to browse the employment reports from previous years and see if their target companies recruited on campus. http://www.fuqua.duke.edu/mba_recruitin ... tatistics/

I have not done an analysis on Fuqua's general alumni network, but I do have data that it is best-in-class for health care. An easy way for prospective students to do this would be to do searches on LinkedIn with their target schools and industries and get a sense of the quantities.

Which student clubs or groups are in the school? What social and philanthropic opportunities and opportunities to get involved in leadership roles one can get in these groups?

Steven:- List of clubs https://fuqua.campusgroups.com/club_sig ... _type=2176
First year MBAs can get involved through serving as cabinet members. Second year MBAs also form the leadership team and mentor first years. There are also leadership positions within the MBA Association and the 6 sections of the first year class that students can get involved with.

Is there anything related to Financial Aid worth a mention?

Steven:- Nothing out of the ordinary.

Can you think of a few good and bad reasons for applicants to reach out to current students? Esp. Before submitting an application?

Steven:- Good reasons:
A. Made good effort to do research but could not find the answer to a few specific questions relating to their career goals or a particular resource at the school.

B. Want to learn about specific examples of the school culture at play.

C. Want to learn about life, networking, and career options in RTP.

D. Debating between offers.

Bad reasons:
A. To ask for a student recommendation.

B. Ask general questions about the school and its culture. For example, what is Team Fuqua or what is consequential leadership are general questions and their answers can be found by going through the Fuqua website or reading student blog posts. A better question would be to ask about how Team Fuqua has made a difference in a current student's leadership development or future career goals.
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 9

Re: Calling all Duke-Fuqua Applicants(2015 Intake) Class of 2017 [#permalink] New post 31 Aug 2014, 07:09
KingShark wrote:
The questions in the letter of recommendations have changed. When I spoke to my recommenders, I had used these questions during the discussion: http://www.fuqua.duke.edu/daytime-mba/a ... tructions/

Hey KingShark,

Can you post the actual questions on the online form?
Also, can you confirm whether a "letter of recommendation" is needed for Fuqua, or will these questions suffice?

Thanks!
2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 25 [2] , given: 17

Re: Calling all Duke-Fuqua Applicants(2015 Intake) Class of 2017 [#permalink] New post 01 Sep 2014, 06:05
This post received
KUDOS
krammer wrote:
KingShark wrote:

Hey KingShark,

Can you post the actual questions on the online form?
Also, can you confirm whether a "letter of recommendation" is needed for Fuqua, or will these questions suffice?

Thanks!

1. Comment briefly on the context of your interaction with the applicant.
2. How do the applicant's performance, potential, or personal qualities compare to those of other well-qualified individuals in similar roles?
3. What do you perceive as the applicant's areas for growth? Describe the applicant's awareness of these areas and his/her response to constructive feedback.
4. Please include additional comments you feel will be helpful to the Admissions Committee.

These are the questions that referees must answer in the letter of recommendation. They must also rate the applicant on a scale of 1 - 5 for a number of qualities.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V37
GPA: 2.88
WE: Analyst (Commercial Banking)

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 1

Re: Calling all Duke-Fuqua Applicants(2015 Intake) Class of 2017 [#permalink] New post 01 Sep 2014, 22:45
Hi, I applied in 2013 for Daytime MBA program and I am reapplying with in a year. Recommendation instructions for Reapplicant says that I need to submit only one recommendation but the system is not allowing me to submit me the final application and asking me the name of second recommender. Does anyone else facing the same issue?
1 KUDOS received
Fuqua Thread Master

Kudos [?]: 19 [1] , given: 11

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Calling all Duke-Fuqua Applicants(2015 Intake) Class of 2017 [#permalink] New post 02 Sep 2014, 02:50
This post received
KUDOS
pratikgupta wrote:
Hi, I applied in 2013 for Daytime MBA program and I am reapplying with in a year. Recommendation instructions for Reapplicant says that I need to submit only one recommendation but the system is not allowing me to submit me the final application and asking me the name of second recommender. Does anyone else facing the same issue?

Apps sometimes have minor glitches. They get resolved as people point them out. I would recommend contacting application-processing@fuqua.duke.edu and letting them know about your situation.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Duke-Fuqua Applicants(2015 Intake) Class of 2017 [#permalink] New post 02 Sep 2014, 09:28
On November 20th-23rd, Duke will be hosting the MBA Workshop for Minority Applicants.

I attended this workshop two years ago when I was a prospective student and I found it to be extremely helpful in terms of engaging with current students and alums, getting a feel for the classes and school environment, and meeting the admissions team before interviews. Accommodations are provided and the weekend is open to all prospective candidates that share a commitment to diversity, regardless of background.

Here's the application address: events.fuqua.duke.edu/mbaworkshop
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance
WE: Asset Management (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 1

Re: Calling all Duke-Fuqua Applicants(2015 Intake) Class of 2017 [#permalink] New post 02 Sep 2014, 11:43
evpowery wrote:
On November 20th-23rd, Duke will be hosting the MBA Workshop for Minority Applicants.

I attended this workshop two years ago when I was a prospective student and I found it to be extremely helpful in terms of engaging with current students and alums, getting a feel for the classes and school environment, and meeting the admissions team before interviews. Accommodations are provided and the weekend is open to all prospective candidates that share a commitment to diversity, regardless of background.

This will only be beneficial if I plan on applying Round 2, correct?
Intern
Intern

Re: Calling all Duke-Fuqua Applicants(2015 Intake) Class of 2017 [#permalink] New post 03 Sep 2014, 06:46
Marcg153 wrote:
evpowery wrote:

This will only be beneficial if I plan on applying Round 2, correct?

It actually allows you to interview (whether you're applying R1, R2 or R3) while you're in Durham instead of having to make another trip back to interview. It's also an opportunity to get to know the school regardless of when you're applying. Hope that helps!
Intern
Intern

Re: Calling all Duke-Fuqua Applicants(2015 Intake) Class of 2017 [#permalink] New post 03 Sep 2014, 07:05
EA
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Healthcare, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 680 Q47 V31
GMAT 2: 730 Q50 V38
GPA: 3.59
WE: Manufacturing and Production (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 2

Re: Calling all Duke-Fuqua Applicants(2015 Intake) Class of 2017 [#permalink] New post 08 Sep 2014, 05:50
I am in for R1. Good luck everybody!
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Re: Calling all Duke-Fuqua Applicants(2015 Intake) Class of 2017 [#permalink] New post 11 Sep 2014, 04:32
Office Hours with a member of the Admissions Committee

I noticed there was an option to visit the school and attend an event "Office Hours with a member of the Admissions Committee". This sounds like a great opportunity to talk face to face with a member of the admissions committee. Does anyone have insight into the best use of this time? Based on what I found on the "Fuqua Visit Us Scheduling Tool" its is time for talking about admissions requirements and how to fill out the application. I was on the wait list last year and will be applying again so I do have some question about the specifics of being a re-applicant. If anyone has done this event in the past let me know.

Event Description
"Do you have a question about our admission requirements or completing your application? A member of the Admissions Committee will be available in the lobby for Office Hours each day of the Campus Visit Program. These sessions are optional for our visitors."
MBA Blogger
Concentration: Finance, Healthcare
GMAT Date: 08-09-2014

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 24

Re: Calling all Duke-Fuqua Applicants(2015 Intake) Class of 2017 [#permalink] New post 11 Sep 2014, 19:43
evpowery wrote:

I am extremely interested in attending this. Would you happen to know how competitive getting an invite is? I'm trying to decide between applying for the Women's Weekend, which takes place in October, or this one.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Healthcare, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 680 Q47 V31
GMAT 2: 730 Q50 V38
GPA: 3.59
WE: Manufacturing and Production (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 2

Re: Calling all Duke-Fuqua Applicants(2015 Intake) Class of 2017 [#permalink] New post 12 Sep 2014, 04:50
asgillette wrote:

I noticed there was an option to visit the school and attend an event "Office Hours with a member of the Admissions Committee". This sounds like a great opportunity to talk face to face with a member of the admissions committee. Does anyone have insight into the best use of this time? Based on what I found on the "Fuqua Visit Us Scheduling Tool" its is time for talking about admissions requirements and how to fill out the application. I was on the wait list last year and will be applying again so I do have some question about the specifics of being a re-applicant. If anyone has done this event in the past let me know.

Event Description
"Do you have a question about our admission requirements or completing your application? A member of the Admissions Committee will be available in the lobby for Office Hours each day of the Campus Visit Program. These sessions are optional for our visitors."

It is definitely a great opportunity to meet adcom member. But since they specifically pointed out the scope of the interaction, you should have very thoughtful and specific questions about requirements and application.

I recently scheduled my campus visit, but i did not select this option. I am still debating whether or not to choose to do 'open interview'. Any thoughts on pros and cons?
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V39
GPA: 3.75

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 4

Re: Calling all Duke-Fuqua Applicants(2015 Intake) Class of 2017 [#permalink] New post 13 Sep 2014, 06:10
Applied for EA round today! :) All the best everyone!

Posted from my mobile device Image
Fuqua Thread Master

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 11

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Calling all Duke-Fuqua Applicants(2015 Intake) Class of 2017 [#permalink] New post 13 Sep 2014, 07:50
KaptainK wrote:
asgillette wrote:

Event Description

It is definitely a great opportunity to meet adcom member. But since they specifically pointed out the scope of the interaction, you should have very thoughtful and specific questions about requirements and application.

I recently scheduled my campus visit, but i did not select this option. I am still debating whether or not to choose to do 'open interview'. Any thoughts on pros and cons?

Definitely take advantage of the open interview option. You won't be admitted without an interview, so why take the chance of getting invited to one? This is a definite way to get in front of the adcom and to show that you care enough about the school.
Re: Calling all Duke-Fuqua Applicants(2015 Intake) Class of 2017   [#permalink] 13 Sep 2014, 07:50