Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 05:10 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 05:10

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V45
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Strategy
GMAT 1: 690 Q46 V40
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [1]
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 640 Q48 V29
GMAT 2: 670 Q49 V32
GPA: 3.33
WE:Analyst (Retail Banking)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: General Management, Organizational Behavior
GPA: 3.97
WE:Other (Other)
Send PM
Re: Calling all Duke (Fuqua) Applicants (2016 Intake) Class of 2018!! [#permalink]
ibiza6403 wrote:
About to start my journey, Round 3 app submitted. Hoping for an interview invite.

Best of luck ibiza6403. Luckily for R3, the timeline is compressed a bit as interview invites go out about 2 weeks after the deadline.

Please let us know if you have questions about the interview process.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Re: Calling all Duke (Fuqua) Applicants (2016 Intake) Class of 2018!! [#permalink]
succulents wrote:
D2d13 wrote:
Did anyone actually get the scholarship page/email/SISS update?

I got the scholarship page. It was on the second page of my acceptance letter.

Congratulations to you and jkzdc on the invite AND merit scholarship.

It looks like you have a big decision to make regarding where you'll be matriculating--are you leaning one way or another now?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [0]
Given Kudos: 135
Send PM
blueapple wrote:
GMATAssociate wrote:
fadedglory wrote:
Portal updated. Are all the other admits also getting "Financial Aid information not ready for release" ?

Seeing the same, which is confusing. The website states that it will be on page 2 of the admissions letter. Did any accepted applicants have a page 2 or have they possibly changed their notification?

I specifically asked the ad com member that called me this morning regarding financial aid. She said any scholarships would be in the letter sent later in the day. Since I did not have a second page, that means no merit scholarship.

that's right Blueapple, if you don't see a scholarship on the second page of your application package, then unfortunately atleast for now there is no scholarship :/
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Finance, Technology
GMAT 1: 710 Q45 V42
GPA: 3
WE:Securities Sales and Trading (Other)
Send PM
No other updates today? I'm on WL from RD1...really hoping for good news to come through. I'm surprised how quiet it is today.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Concentration: Finance
Send PM
jumper41 wrote:
No other updates today? I'm on WL from RD1...really hoping for good news to come through. I'm surprised how quiet it is today.

I'm not expecting much today unfortunately.

I am in the same position as you, waitlist from R1. It looks like they admitted several off the WL yesterday, and told people on the phone that they would be making all acceptance calls yesterday. I assume that means no good news for me, and I will just continue to remain on the waitlist...
Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V39
GPA: 3.58
WE:Project Management (Consulting)
Send PM
Anyone else having issues with SISS loading?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Send PM
It's not loading for me.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V39
GPA: 3.58
WE:Project Management (Consulting)
Send PM
thomasdodsonian wrote:
It's not loading for me.

Hopefully the system is busy while they upload all our acceptance letters.... wishful thinking
Manager
Manager
Send PM
FYI, the US News and World Report just released their latest business school rankings. I created a Fuqua specific thread, including a link to the ratings.

2017-usnwr-ranking-out-215141.html
So I logged onto SISS for the first time today (Round 3 applicant) and I can't figure out where I can see the status of my application. The interface looked more like an IT Financial Services interface than a portal...
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 109 [0]
Given Kudos: 79
Concentration: General Management, Technology
Schools: Duke '18 (M)
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V41
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Congratulations to all R2 Admits and welcome to the Class of 2018!!! Can't wait to meet you all! I am an EA admit, so I have been in this for about 5 months now. If anyone needs any help deciding or has any questions regarding the process, do reach out.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
GPA: 2.98
Send PM
Any advice for re applicants? I gave my best, had a pretty unique profile(national level muay thai athlete, pro soccer, android developer at samsung, NITian, 720 GMAT, Corporate soccer management experience for an year.) but still got a ding. Any suggestions are most welcome.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
kushagra10 wrote:
Any advice for re applicants? I gave my best, had a pretty unique profile(national level muay thai athlete, pro soccer, android developer at samsung, NITian, 720 GMAT, Corporate soccer management experience for an year.) but still got a ding. Any suggestions are most welcome.

I was admitted in R2. I think Fuqua puts a lot of emphasis on culture fit. They are looking for your true understanding of "Team Fuqua" and whether you can leverage your previous experience to show your resonation with this definition. My suggestion would be reach out to alum or try your best to visit the school. Try to see from what perspective can you relate to the school culture. Fuqua alum are the most friendly, warming and helpful alum I have ever seen and the school is very collaborative.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Just a friendly reminder for users to update their profile with their admittance decision. We currently have 110 R2 applicants with an unknown final decision and 281 among all rounds.

I'm sure past user data was helpful for many during the application process, so having an updated profile will be equally as helpful to future applicants.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
Send PM
FROM Fuqua Current Student Blogs: How Fuqua Molded Me into an Entrepreneur
A few weeks ago, a number of newly admitted students descended on Fuqua for Blue Devil Weekend. I was reminded that 2 short years ago, I was the newly admitted student trekking to Durham to find out if Fuqua was a place that could fuel my dreams.

Many of those dreams were written down on a scrap of paper I kept in my white coat during my third year of medical school. That scrap contained a list of problems I saw in health care that, if solved, would improve our field for both patients and physicians. That scrap of paper also formed the core of my business school admissions essays—I was truly looking for the school that would help turn those ideas into action.

From Idea to Impact

Transitioning from the hospital to Fuqua
At the top of that list was, “Put the service back in medicine.”

I’d gone to medical school after doing health policy work and shadowing physicians in my native West Virginia, where community service felt synonymous with medicine. Somewhere between the intense volume of scientific material I consumed and the long hours I kept in the hospital as medical student, I became increasingly frustrated that my work felt separated from the impact I wished to have in the world. I’d even said to a physician mentor that there should be a ‘Teach for America’ type pathway for health careers so students like me didn’t end up feeling so lost. Still, I came to Fuqua thinking that solving that problem was a ‘someday’ idea and probably not an endeavor for me to lead.

Two years later, I’m the co-founder of MedServe, a service-learning program in primary care medicine for pre-health students. We call ourselves, of all things, the “Teach for America” for healthcare. Clinics have signed on and invested money in a pilot project; real college seniors have submitted applications to give 2 years of their lives to participate. What happened between my scribbled frustrations with the health care system and a real company? Fuqua. In particular, Fuqua gave me the concrete skills and supportive environment to make something that seemed only tangible in the distant future a short-term reality.

The Skills

Getting early pitch experience with help from P4E
As a first-year MBA, my very first event as an official Fuqua student was the annual Kickoff Pitch Event for Duke’s Program for Entrepreneurs (P4E), a multi-term course on entrepreneurial execution. As I recall, I sat in the back of the room silently through the whole event, too nervous to pitch any of my white coat list ideas. However, I was inspired by the curiosity and creativity of my peers and started talking to them, eventually enrolling in the course with someone else’s project that closely overlapped with an item on my list.

Over 3 terms, P4E didn’t give me the magical toolkit for starting a company. Instead, it gave me the series of questions to ask during that process and a broad understanding of what can go wrong (and how to prevent or survive a problem). It also gave me the opportunity to get in front of a number of seasoned entrepreneur mentors and give voice to my ideas (and those ideas’ strengths and flaws). What it gave me, really, was the confidence that problem-solving through entrepreneurship was, as Fuqua’s Center for the Advancement of Social Entrepreneurship (CASE) Senior Fellow Dan Heath would say, extraordinarily difficult but not mysterious in its core components.

The Support
As is the case for many entrepreneurs, my first effort ended in failure and I was faced with trying to make a radical pivot. I ultimately chose to pivot to the medicine-meets-service idea that continued to haunt me and that formed the nugget that has grown into my current startup. The skills I built in P4E gave me some of the confidence to pivot, but really that choice was driven by the supportive community of Fuqua. Chiefly, by CASE whose Director, Erin Worsham, actively mentored me throughout my first project and walked me (in the depths of mid-pivot despair) through my next steps forward.

It was also CASE that took a chance on me and my second idea through their Launch Pad Prize—seed funds for MBA students to launch social enterprises—and a summer of mentorship from business author and CASE Senior Fellow Dan Heath. In true supportive CASE fashion, Dan stretched his summer of assistance through most of the fall to help me accelerate my progress. Similarly, Fuqua’s Career Management Center (CMC) assumed a continued supportive role even during months when I was working on the project largely as a solo venture. The CMC’s Entrepreneurship Counselor Jennifer Fink has grown accustomed to periodically emailing me and asking how I am doing and if she can help. This network of continuous support has proven as crucial to my entrepreneurial education as the complimentary coursework I’ve completed as a Fuqua student.

The Result

Winning UNC’s contest was an extra pleasure for a Duke team during basketball season
Fuqua has given me the rare opportunity to see a dream of mine turn into a tangible reality. My medicine-meets-service notion has evolved into MedServe. My team—including fellow Fuquans, medical students and undergraduates—has expanded my vision of the potential for a program like this. We’ve been able to sell our dream to a dozen clinics across North Carolina for pilot in 2016, and we’ve received about double the number of interested students than we’ll have capacity to accommodate this year. We’ve raised about $200,000 towards making our pilot a reality. And we’ve had the great pleasure of being recognized for our work, recently winning the 2016 University of North Carolina Social Entrepreneurship Contest.

I’m excited for the potential opportunities that lie ahead for this year’s admitted students in the Class of 2018 and current applicants. The past 2 years have taught me that, if you fully engage in the Fuqua process, this can be a place that transforms your sense of your own capabilities. For my own personal and professional development, I see the tangible product of that transformation every time I work on MedServe.

You can learn more about Anne’s startup, MedServe, in the video below and the team’s Indiegogo campaign here.

The post How Fuqua Molded Me into an Entrepreneur appeared first on Duke MBA Student Blog.

This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 109 [0]
Given Kudos: 79
Concentration: General Management, Technology
Schools: Duke '18 (M)
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V41
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
kushagra10 wrote:

Hey Kushagra,
I am a re-applicant who got through EA this year.

I think what worked for me was the way I aligned my story. While your profile looks impressive and GMAT is good, you have to understand that the Indian applicant pool is highly competitive and will always remain so. So in order to stand out, you need a good story that makes your package unique.

What worked for me was this understanding and also reaching out to a lot of students and alumni and understanding what the school wanted. And then try and weave that information into your story.

I know I said story multiple times there, but after 9 rejections last year, I realised the importance of this aspect a lot. It comes down to branding, and if you can do that well you have a fair shot.

Hope this helps. Do reach out if you need any more advice.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 40
Concentration: Healthcare, Marketing
GMAT 1: 660 Q47 V34
GMAT 2: 680 Q48 V35
GPA: 3.37
WE:Engineering (Health Care)
Send PM
Submitted my application for round 3. I hope the yield isn't crazy high like last year. But, fuqua is 6th on gmatclub interms of the number of applications submitted.
Any fellow applicants?
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  35   36   37   38   39   40   41   42   43   44   45   46   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts