Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 11:10

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling all Duke (Fuqua) Fall 2009 applicants!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: CBS, Cornell, Duke, Ross, Darden
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 188 [1] , given: 4

Re: Calling all Duke (Fuqua) Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 07 Nov 2008, 14:03
This post received
KUDOS
refurb wrote:
ryguy904 wrote:
Wanted to give a recap on my 2 1/2 visit to Durham for my interview.

AWESOME post-interview report!

Thanks ryguy!

You mentioned that there are four or so places that most students live. Do most students arrive on campus by car or is one of these four places within walking distance (under 20 min)??

RF

Not sure. I will inquire with my friend, next time I chat with him. Are you looking to not have a car there? May be a bit of a chilly walk in the winter-although certainly not Chicago/Kellogg style.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: Duke, UCLA, Cornell, Ross,Tuck, Haas
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 3 [1] , given: 0

Re: Calling all Duke (Fuqua) Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 13 Nov 2008, 09:39
This post received
KUDOS
Good luck to all the EA round applicants, results out tomorrow!
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: Darden, Stern, CBS, Johnson, Fuqua

Kudos [?]: 10 [1] , given: 0

Re: Calling all Duke (Fuqua) Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 14 Nov 2008, 07:28
This post received
KUDOS
sam77sam7 wrote:
Yes! Out with it!

Ok, ok...sorry to keep you waiting, here goes:

The person I spoke to graduated only a few years ago, so I expect that all of the information remains relevant. Here is what I learned:

- Interviews are given by 2nd year students, which I think most of us knew previously.
- Your interviewer usually has only about 10 minutes to read over your resume before you meet with him/her, so don’t expect them to be intimate with your history. Know your resume well enough to walk the interviewer through it.
- The interviewer’s goal is NOT to give a recommendation to admissions. The Adcom makes all admit/deny decisions. The interview is used as a consistency check (ie. if the Adcom already liked you, the interview will solidify their choice or cause them to review your app again. It can also work the other way, where they are questionable, but then you ace the interview and sway them in the right direction).
- The interviewer is going to transcribe as much of your answers as possible, which will be given to the Adcom (read: use this as your chance to add anything you couldn’t fit into your app and make sure you’re succinct enough to get through all questions)
- The interviewers aren’t given a set of questions; instead they are given topics to highlight and are free to create their own questions, so that’s why we see various reports of questions and interview experiences.
- There are about five categories that the interviewers should highlight and will give a 1-5 score on: 1. Readiness for B-school (Why MBA? Why now?) 2. Fit with Fuqua (Personality, etc.) 3. Interpersonal skills (Lead a team; deal with a problem, etc.) 4. Teamwork (VERY big at Fuqua, have team examples prepared, how will you add value to a team?) 5. Initiative/Leadership. I imagine most of these questions can blend together, but those are the categories that you are “scored” on.
- Expect behavioral questions (“Tell me about a time when…”)
- Fuqua is very high on openness/comfort, so try to match the demeanor of your interviewer. Try to be conversational if your interviewer is relaxed, and if your interviewer is all business (I was told this should be rare), then try to remain a bit more serious.
- They understand everyone will have “interview anxiety,” just try to relax, especially since they are looking for fit with Fuqua (and you should be looking for the same).
- Make sure to have a few good questions to ask at the end.

I asked if there was anything specific I should know/prepare. I was told to know the school and any recent news that might be relevant. Nothing over the top, just show that you have done your homework. Don’t go in unprepared.

I was also told that since you are interviewing with students, they are often thinking “Is this someone I could work with on a team or have in my class?” You should think the same as you’re meeting students.

Another recommendation I was given: review your app and read it while thinking, “On what grounds could I be denied admission?” Try to highlight examples that will strengthen that area.

One thing that I know has been mentioned here before: attire. I was told that as long as you look presentable, it shouldn’t be an issue. You certainly won’t gain/lose points for wearing a tie.

LASTLY, AND PROBABLY MOST IMPORTANTLY…

The school name is pronounced FEW-kwa.

NOT FOO-kwa.

I think that’s it. I’m going down to FEW-kwa on TOOs-day, so I’ll let you know if any/all of this holds true…now back to that NYU app (38 hours till the deadline).
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: R1: HBS(A), Kellogg(A), Michigan(A), Duke(A), Wharton(D)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 32 [1] , given: 0

Re: Calling all Duke (Fuqua) Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 14 Nov 2008, 14:52
This post received
KUDOS
I just had my interview, campus tour, and lunch with student today. I felt the interview went extremely well! It was extremely laid back and conversational. Below is a quick recap:

Interview
- 2nd year student
- 45 minutes
- Questions: Walk through resume/experiences, Why MBA, Why now, Why Duke, Leadership/Teamwork experience, previous and current EC activities, which activities do you plan to get involved in at Duke, any questions?

My interviewer was extremely nice and passionate about Duke and Team Fuqua. (As is everyone I encountered throughout the day. There were 1y students in the waiting area chatting with everyone before and after interviews which was very helpful. The waiting are was pretty full with candidates. EVERYONE HAD A SUIT ON. I was told by current and former students before hand to wear a suit even though the invite said business casual. I would definitely recommend doing the same.

Tour
The tour was pretty basic, but the new building is extremely nice. The classrooms and meeting rooms are all very nice and hi-tech. However, there is a no laptop policy in almost all classes. I was even more impressed with the campus in general. It is extremely beautiful.

Overall, my experience at Duke today has been phenomenal. I could definitely see myself here over the next 2 years.

Now the waiting game...3 down, 3 to go!
1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
Schools: Tuck
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 117 [1] , given: 6

Re: Calling all Duke (Fuqua) Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 19 Nov 2008, 06:25
This post received
KUDOS
Back from my interview at Duke!

I actually had my interview with an admissions member, which apparently is quite rare, but I didn't get asked any questions that haven't already been posted here. Very conversational and relaxed. Like LeftOut said, we had a fire drill so we got delayed for 5 min, but my interview lasted the other 55 mins.

Since my list of questions to ask were more directed at current students, I had a chance to ask the admin member about the admin process. She said they have first and second readers. If both give the app the thumbs down, it get immediately rejected. If only one reader gives it a thumbs down, it still goes to committee.

Once at committee, the readers sit around and advocate for the apps they read. The applicants stats are put up on screen and the written comments are read out loud. This way each candidate can be judged against the entire pool. The committee then makes a yes/no/waitlist decision. If, at the end a reader feels that an applicant hasn't been fully considered, he or she can bring up it up at the end for a second look. She also said the people who end up on the waitlist are the people are very exceptional overall, but in light of the pool as a whole, fall towards the bottom (common sense I guess).

Highlights:
- got to meet LeftOut and Aaudetat (super nice! she let me sit in on one of her team meetings!)
- really freakin' cold (28F or so in the morning)
- the HSM program is very impressive! The amount of interaction with the the greater Duke school and within industry is very impressive. The program is very flexible too. Basically, if you can come up with a good idea, they'll probably let you do it. The HSM course I sat in on was very impressive as well. One of the professors has many years of experience at a major pharma company and offered amazing insight into the decisions these companies make when bringing new drugs to market.
- as expected the building is very impressive and absolutely huge
- the school is very student driven. One student told me that summer intro program for 1st years was very overwhelming for many. So the students worked with faculty to reorganize it! I got plenty of other example where the school and students worked together to improve the program.

RF

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 0

Re: Calling all Duke (Fuqua) Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 03 Dec 2008, 08:30
This post received
KUDOS
RMaven21 wrote:
totally forgot about this forum this year, i used it extensively when studying for GMAT last year
add me to the EA list~!

Early Action applicant
Submitted: 10/14
App Complete E-mail: 10/28
Phone Interview Invitation: 11/6 (US citizen overseas)
Completed Phone Interview w/ SY: 11/8
Waitlisted: 11/14
Called adcom to clarify some things: 11/16
Final decision: Accepted on 11/20

Hi RMaven21,

Can I ask why you feel you got WL and why you feel you got off the WL? I applied EA and got WL and I'm really looking to get accepted.

Thanks,
Mark

You can PM me if you want.
1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
Schools: Tuck
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 117 [1] , given: 6

Re: Calling all Duke (Fuqua) Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 19 Dec 2008, 16:21
This post received
KUDOS
atlmba2009 wrote:
Ntang wrote:
There was a blurb at the bottom of that acceptance letter I found interesting - the admissions office will contact you in the fall of 2009 to find out what you've been doing in the interim since accepting the offer.

Seriously, they said "since accepting the offer" in your initial notification of admission? Isn't that a tad presumptuous?

You don't understand! Now the tables have turned! It's like dating. Now Duke has said "I love you!".

Remember when you said in your essays "As a Duke MBA student I plan to..."

Well, now it's there turn!

RF

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: Fuqua '11
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 38 [1] , given: 0

Re: Calling all Duke (Fuqua) Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 21 Jan 2009, 08:34
This post received
KUDOS
woncosmo wrote:
Has any R2 international applicant heard from Duke?

I am an applicant from India. My app status shows - Submission Status: Submitted

Has any of your app status changed?

It took a while for the R1 international applicants to hear from Admissions, FYI.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: Duke, Darden (i/v-ed, withdrawn),Kellogg

Kudos [?]: 6 [1] , given: 0

Re: Calling all Duke (Fuqua) Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 30 Jan 2009, 10:13
This post received
KUDOS
From what I see in various forums, especially a B-school forum very popular in India, the drop in int'l applicants/admits for Duke is nothing but RUMOR. I can see a large number of int'l admits in the Fuqua Admit Facebook group.

However the same cannot be said about certain other schools. For example, Darden has significantly reduced offers to int'l applicants.

That said, if a solution for the loan w/o cosigner issue is not found soon, the number of int'l matriculants will certainly drop compared to earlier years. This may affect decisions of other admits. I know a fellow admit who has chosen Duke over a UE because of the international diversity Duke offers.

Last edited by abhyudaya on 30 Jan 2009, 17:00, edited 1 time in total.
1 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP
Schools: The Duke MBA, Class of 2009
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 180 [1] , given: 2

Re: Calling all Duke (Fuqua) Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 30 Jan 2009, 13:20
This post received
KUDOS
Hi, all. I was just at a talk by the dean yesterday, and Duke's commitment to global breadth - in the curriculum, the recruiters, and the student body - remains as strong as ever. The int'l campuses are moving forward as planned and they're even planning recruiting trips to the UAE and China, and maybe others.

I also have good news: the Business Week article and the resulting chatter on the blogs is completely NOT correct.

So, here is where Fuqua is with the int'l loan issue: we've found a solution that is essentially status quo from this year, but Blair and company are working on something even better. There has been no official announcement as they work out the details. So stay tuned and have faith.

cheers
aau
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: Cornell Johnson School
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 7 [1] , given: 0

Re: Calling all Duke (Fuqua) Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 30 Jan 2009, 15:11
This post received
KUDOS
http://www.businessweek.com/bschools/bl ... ation.html

here's a new BW article - "Loan Situation Looks Rosier for Duke's International Applicants"
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Schools: HBS 2011

Re: Calling all Duke (Fuqua) Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 31 Jan 2009, 04:25
This post received
KUDOS
finblue wrote:
woncosmo, I'm on the same boat with you- received the two e-mails last evening, but have no interview invite yet.
Since I'm an international applicant from asia, naturally I signed up for an alum interview.
Getting a little nervous, does this mean they don't inted to invite me for it?

Before prompting a deluge of Fuqua-defending emails
I'll state that i'm a huge fan and its my #1 choice if admitted.
But...

1) Received official communication reminding us about R2 deadline, but with the wrong date on it
2) Random email stating all was submitted, but before my interview (which is scheduled for next w/e)

My point is that although the school is great, they don't seem to be managing the communication with us applicants particularly well so i wouldn't get too nervous yet about not having an invite. Good luck anyway!
1 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP
Schools: The Duke MBA, Class of 2009
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 180 [1] , given: 2

Re: Calling all Duke (Fuqua) Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 31 Jan 2009, 11:33
This post received
KUDOS
Hey, gang. Just to follow up on the int'l loan conversation, I wanted to share an email I just received from the dean:

Quote:
I wanted to take a moment to share an update on our efforts to secure an improved loan program for our international students. Fuqua’s leadership team has been working on a number of fronts to address this issue, and I’m pleased to report positive results that should allay any concerns international students might have about being able to pursue their studies at Fuqua.

First, let there be no uncertainty: Our international students will be able to secure loans for their studies at Fuqua without the need for a U.S. co-signer. We have a solution in hand that will meet students’ needs, with terms similar to those offered for the current academic year.

At the same time, we are part of a consortium of top business schools that is exploring other lender options to ensure international students are getting the best possible loan terms.

Other Options

We have been actively engaged in discussions with banks in China, India, and a number of different regions around the world to identify further appropriate loan programs. These conversations have been fruitful, and negotiations are ongoing.

Further meetings are taking place with U.S. regional banks that have not previously provided international loans, but have expressed interest in our loan proposals and in establishing a relationship with Fuqua.

Yet another option being considered is an internal funding strategy that would utilize our own resources to fund the international loans, should that prove necessary.

Though we have already identified a loan program that will suit the needs of our international students, we continue to consider this range of permanent solutions in order to be certain our students are able to secure the most favorable loan terms available.

Next Steps

I will update you and the rest of the Fuqua community with more complete details on the international loan program when all options have been fully examined. By the end of February, we will be in a position to announce to current and prospective international students a package of loan options for students from different regions with varying borrowing needs.

Fuqua’s global strategy and the strong international contacts that have resulted from that strategy allow us to examine a number of loan programs. In the current challenging economic environment, we’re well positioned to ensure the most favorable loan terms to enable students from around the world to pursue MBA studies at Duke.

Blair
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: Darden, Stern, CBS, Johnson, Fuqua

Kudos [?]: 10 [1] , given: 0

Re: Calling all Duke (Fuqua) Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 03 Feb 2009, 08:19
This post received
KUDOS
Jerz wrote:
applicant1 wrote:
I applied to the Second Round and have interviewed. The Notification date is set at march 10th. Does anybody know if Duke ever tells applicants their decision before the notification date? Or is it always on the notification date? Is it by phone or email?

In R1, there was no advance notice, there was an email on the decision date that said to check status online. I would think R2 will be the same.

I believe the R1 status change email actually came a day early.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Schools: HBS 2011

Re: Calling all Duke (Fuqua) Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 04 Feb 2009, 01:52
This post received
KUDOS
mlchang616 wrote:
What do you guys think about R3 for Duke? Do you think R3 for Duke is a long shot for most given that application numbers have been up so far in both rounds for most schools? I've spoken to a few reps about applying in R3 and most say that each round is equally evaluated. However, a majority of the applications usually come in through R1 & R2. I'm curious whether anyone has heard anything about R3 for Duke.

Thanks,
-M

I think R3 is more fairly evaluated in schools with a lower yield (like Duke).
After they have made their R2 offers they must be a lot less sure of class size and profile than at schools with the >90% yields. To get the class sized and in correct demographics and profile i'm sure they do utilize R3.

Anyway, Duke don't have a rep for discriminating against re-applicants so i don't think there is much to lose by firing in a R3 application? Anyway, best of luck
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Re: Calling all Duke (Fuqua) Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 06 Feb 2009, 09:10
This post received
KUDOS
About transportation:

Check Alamo Car Rental Agency. I booked a combo. on Expedia that came to about $85.00 for one night at a Hotel (right near Fuqua) and a rental car for one day.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: Fuqua '11

Kudos [?]: 8 [1] , given: 3

Re: Calling all Duke (Fuqua) Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 06 Feb 2009, 14:05
This post received
KUDOS
smokedpotatoes2 wrote:
Also any good (cheap) restaurant recommendations?

Hard to go wrong with anything on Ninth St, and the prices are usually pretty good. I am partial to Chubby's Tacos.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Schools: Columbia, Duke

Kudos [?]: 2 [1] , given: 0

Re: Calling all Duke (Fuqua) Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 08 Feb 2009, 07:37
This post received
KUDOS
Came back from my Duke interview! It was awesome! Here are some information I can share:

1) Cabs are available to Duke at the airport, trip costs about $42 with tips, credit cards accepted
2) There are in fact alot of people going to Duke from the airport, I met a few people going to the interview, so we shared a cab, turned out paying $12. Just ask.
3) Going back to the airport from Duke is a bit harder because you need to call and appoint for a cab, you better write down the number for cabs in the airport before you head to Duke
4) Head to Breeden Hall when on campus
5) Weather reached 72F, compared to New York 32F

Here are some questions asked in the one hour interview:

1) Walk through resume
2) Short/Long term goals
3) Why Duke
4) What can you contribute outside of class
5) How would a colleague describe you
6) What are two areas of improvements you hope to strengthen at Duke
7) Anything you would like to tell admissions

Other useful information:

1) Bring your resume, they will ask for it
2) The interview, tour, administration were all handled by Duke students in Breeden Hall
3) First was to sign in with the students, they will have portfolios and name tags prepared for you
4) You have a home-base near where you sign in to sit with other applicants, and some Duke students will be there to chat with you
5) Interviewers, basically second year students, will come pick up and bring applicants into a small room to conduct interview
6) They will show you Breeden Hall and Fox Center, basically all in the same building, if you signed up for a tour
7) Every student will have business cards to give out, so you don't need to specifically write down their contact unless they ran out of cards

Hope this helps!
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: UCLA, Ross, Berkeley
WE 1: Information Technology

Kudos [?]: 5 [1] , given: 3

Re: Calling all Duke (Fuqua) Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 12 Feb 2009, 04:42
This post received
KUDOS
RonONeal wrote:
Hey woncosmo, I got an invite Jan. 22 but found it about a week late because it was caught in my spam filter.
I am a US applicant but currently live abroad.

OMG! A million Thank You!s

I just searched my Spam and sure enough there was my Fuqua Interview invite.

woncosmo,
I'm an international applicant from India.

Do or Do Not.. There is no try
-- Master Yoda

1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: Fuqua

Kudos [?]: 40 [1] , given: 0

Re: Calling all Duke (Fuqua) Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 13 Feb 2009, 06:41
This post received
KUDOS
You'll excuse the snark, but the irony of the president of DeBeers speaking about corporate social responsibility and African development is a little overwhelming. Oy.
Re: Calling all Duke (Fuqua) Fall 2009 applicants!   [#permalink] 13 Feb 2009, 06:41