Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Sep 2014, 01:55

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling all Duke (Fuqua) Fall 2009 applicants!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
VP
VP
Schools: Tuck
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 117 [0], given: 6

Re: Calling all Duke (Fuqua) Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 01 Oct 2008, 17:40
SV6 wrote:
But does it matter whether you schedule the interview before submitting the app or after submitting?

It does not. Check out Aaudetat's post earlier in this thread.

LINK

RF

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
SVP
SVP
Schools: Kellogg '11
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 178 [0], given: 31

Re: Calling all Duke (Fuqua) Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 01 Oct 2008, 18:43
ah-ha! Fuqua does weekend interviews! You can't see a class but can still do the interview. That works out really well for me since I can fly in Friday night after work, interview on Saturday and then go back.

anyone else going to be around Duke on 11/1?
:)
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Duke (Fuqua) Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 03 Oct 2008, 05:40
Wow, all the interview slots for the Early Round have already been filled up! This is really surprising since its only early October and the interview deadline is November 1! I check 4 days ago and their were still plenty of slots, but now they are gone! Just wondering are their any early rounders here who were not able to schedule an interview (like me)?

Man, I really hate having to delay submission to R2 just because of this.
Director
Director
Schools: Cornell '11
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 132 [0], given: 29

Re: Calling all Duke (Fuqua) Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 03 Oct 2008, 05:54
I have my interview tomorrow! Debrief coming soon :-D

"George is getting upset!"

SVP
SVP
Schools: The Duke MBA, Class of 2009
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 179 [0], given: 2

Re: Calling all Duke (Fuqua) Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 03 Oct 2008, 07:13
nutty2010 wrote:
Wow, all the interview slots for the Early Round have already been filled up! This is really surprising since its only early October and the interview deadline is November 1! I check 4 days ago and their were still plenty of slots, but now they are gone! Just wondering are their any early rounders here who were not able to schedule an interview (like me)?

Man, I really hate having to delay submission to R2 just because of this.

hey, nutty. i checked in with admissions, and here's what I got:
Quote:

Please tell them to select round one only in the interview scheduling system. This should open more slots to them. They will need to check the interview deadline for early action to ensure that they sign up for an interview on a day prior to that deadline.

hope this helps!
Intern
Intern

Re: Calling all Duke (Fuqua) Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 03 Oct 2008, 07:41
aaudetat wrote:
Please tell them to select round one only in the interview scheduling system. This should open more slots to them. They will need to check the interview deadline for early action to ensure that they sign up for an interview on a day prior to that deadline.

hope this helps![/quote]

Hmmm, this is quite confusing because it looks like the adcoms are sending out conflicting messages. The interview deadline for Early Action is November 1st, but from the quote above it makes it seem the last day for an actual interview would be on October 31. This is odd because when I checked the interview slots 4 days ago one could select slots to interview on November 1st. A few minutes ago, I just scheduled my interview for November 1st, but in R1, since the Early Action option is no longer avaliable for selection on the on-line interview scheduler. I called up an adcom to ask if I can still be considered an early round applicant, since technically my interview would be right on the November 1st deadline. The adcom said that this would be fine and I would still be considered an early app candidate.

Your quote above, though, makes me nervous again, since it sounds like the last day for an interview is actually October 31. What really annoys me is that they seem to be changing the deadlines. Four days ago, one could schedule an November 1s interview in Early action, now that same say while still avaliable is only avaliable in R1. This just makes no sense.

PS: The earliest interview slot avalible now is November 1st (and there is only 1 slot left, I just took the other one), which would coincide with the early round interview deadline.
SVP
SVP

Re: Calling all Duke (Fuqua) Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 03 Oct 2008, 08:29
nutty2010 wrote:
aaudetat wrote:

hope this helps!

Quote:
Hmmm, this is quite confusing because it looks like the adcoms are sending out conflicting messages. The interview deadline for Early Action is November 1st, but from the quote above it makes it seem the last day for an actual interview would be on October 31. This is odd because when I checked the interview slots 4 days ago one could select slots to interview on November 1st. A few minutes ago, I just scheduled my interview for November 1st, but in R1, since the Early Action option is no longer avaliable for selection on the on-line interview scheduler. I called up an adcom to ask if I can still be considered an early round applicant, since technically my interview would be right on the November 1st deadline. The adcom said that this would be fine and I would still be considered an early app candidate.

Your quote above, though, makes me nervous again, since it sounds like the last day for an interview is actually October 31. What really annoys me is that they seem to be changing the deadlines. Four days ago, one could schedule an November 1s interview in Early action, now that same say while still avaliable is only avaliable in R1. This just makes no sense.

PS: The earliest interview slot avalible now is November 1st (and there is only 1 slot left, I just took the other one), which would coincide with the early round interview deadline.

[/quote]
I think it's ok; just read the email as "prior to the deadline." On the deadline is still ok.
Intern
Intern

Re: Calling all Duke (Fuqua) Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 03 Oct 2008, 09:51
Thanks AAU, yeah I read your post again and noticed that it was "sign up for an interview on a day prior to that deadline" and not "conduct the interview on a day prior to that deadline". So I guess November 1st is still good for early action. Phew!
Director
Director
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 51 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Duke (Fuqua) Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 03 Oct 2008, 12:47
Hey guys,

Could you guys do me a favor and answer a couple quick, dumb questions I could probably find out with a little bit of research but don't feel like doing myself :-D It looks like I'll be taking a shot at submitting R1 to Duke and I was wondering - Do I need to send official GMAT scores? Can you schedule your interview before or after your app or does it have to be before? Are the rec questions the same as last year (I saw the PDF of that on this thread). Thanks!
VP
VP

Re: Calling all Duke (Fuqua) Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 03 Oct 2008, 13:18
IHateTheGMAT wrote:
Hey guys,

Could you guys do me a favor and answer a couple quick, dumb questions I could probably find out with a little bit of research but don't feel like doing myself :-D It looks like I'll be taking a shot at submitting R1 to Duke and I was wondering - Do I need to send official GMAT scores? Can you schedule your interview before or after your app or does it have to be before? Are the rec questions the same as last year (I saw the PDF of that on this thread). Thanks!

I'd email the adcom to answer your first question (unless someone else already has).

For your second question, you can interview up to Dec 6th for R1, even though the app is due Oct 27th.

Don't know about the rec questions.

RF

Intern
Intern

Re: Calling all Duke (Fuqua) Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 03 Oct 2008, 13:46
The R1 interview deadline is November 20 according to Duke's website

http://www.fuqua.duke.edu/programs/duke ... _deadlines

and yet their online interview scheduler allows you to pick December interview dates for Round 1.

Just another layer of confusion...
VP
VP

Re: Calling all Duke (Fuqua) Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 03 Oct 2008, 15:08
nutty2010 wrote:
The R1 interview deadline is November 20 according to Duke's website

http://www.fuqua.duke.edu/programs/duke ... _deadlines

and yet their online interview scheduler allows you to pick December interview dates for Round 1.

Just another layer of confusion...

:? :? :? :? :? :? :?

I'm pretty sure I got the Dec 6th deadline off their website, but apparently they've change it. Hmm.. my R1 interview is 3 days before the deadline!!!

RF

SVP
SVP

Re: Calling all Duke (Fuqua) Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 03 Oct 2008, 16:48
wow I'm glad I nabbed a 11/1 interview then!
Director
Director
Schools: Cornell '11
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 132 [0], given: 29

Re: Calling all Duke (Fuqua) Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 03 Oct 2008, 17:03
Hello from Durham! More specifically the R David Thomas Executive Center!

"George is getting upset!"

SVP
SVP

Re: Calling all Duke (Fuqua) Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 03 Oct 2008, 17:13
raabenb wrote:
Hello from Durham! More specifically the R David Thomas Executive Center!

hope you're having fun...i'm at home, north of east campus, doing corp fin (which is not fun)
SVP
SVP

Re: Calling all Duke (Fuqua) Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 04 Oct 2008, 18:41
Thanks for sharing! Glad it went well for you and that you loved fuqua - I hope when I visit I have such a positive experience :)

raabenb wrote:
Interview Complete!

The interview was with a second year student.

Questions:

5-10 minute resume walkthrough.
Why MBA, why now?
Short term and long term goals?
Why Fuqua?
What will you contribute in and out of class?
What are your greatest strengths, weaknesses?
Give me an example of your leadership in action.
Give me an example of your teamwork.
How would you handle a difficult team member?
How would your colleagues describe you?
Give me an example of when your ethics were challenged.

I think it went VERY well. The back and forth was great. We were both Seinfeld fans so we had some good laughs about Seinfeld references. Overall it lasted 45 min to 1 full hour.

Later in the day I did a campus tour and my tour guide was a guy I went to high school with in PA (I am still friend with his sister). We were totally weired out by how random it was.....

All in all, I had a GREAT experience. LOVED FUQUA.
VP
VP

Re: Calling all Duke (Fuqua) Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 05 Oct 2008, 16:41
aaudetat wrote:
hope you're having fun...i'm at home, north of east campus, doing corp fin (which is not fun)

Aaudetat,

Can you elaborate on how the class sections are setup? From the website I gathered that you're are assigned to one of six sections for your core courses. I assume that you're broken down further in to teams (by course?)?

- do you stay with the same section/team for the whole first year?
- how are sections assigned? I noticed at Tuck they hand pick each team to ensure a good mix, while at Cornell it was a little more random....

Thanks!
RF

SVP
SVP

Re: Calling all Duke (Fuqua) Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 05 Oct 2008, 17:03
refurb wrote:
aaudetat wrote:

Aaudetat,

Can you elaborate on how the class sections are setup? From the website I gathered that you're are assigned to one of six sections for your core courses. I assume that you're broken down further in to teams (by course?)?

- do you stay with the same section/team for the whole first year?
- how are sections assigned? I noticed at Tuck they hand pick each team to ensure a good mix, while at Cornell it was a little more random....

Thanks!
RF

That corp fin assignment is still not done, but anyway...

Yes, the entire class of 430-ish is divided into 6 sections. You are in your section for the entire first semester and for one class the second semester. In other words, you take the core classes with your section. Within your section, you have your first year team, sometimes called an ILE Team. You work with that team throughout the core. Duke does its best to create diverse teams and sections, based on nationality, gender, and career background. Ditto for teams.

There are some exceptions to the "You take the whole core with your section and have the same team" rule. If you pass out of stats, for example, and you're on my team, then our team will be down one person for stats, but we'll see you again in econ. Also, some courses don't require a six-person team, so the teams split (accounting).

Either way, you will spend a lot of time with your ILE team and your section.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Duke (Fuqua) Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 05 Oct 2008, 17:24
Can anyone give tips on the 'Leader of consequence' essay?

Thanks
VP
VP

Re: Calling all Duke (Fuqua) Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 05 Oct 2008, 17:48
aaudetat wrote:

That corp fin assignment is still not done, but anyway...

Yes, the entire class of 430-ish is divided into 6 sections....

Thanks Aaudetat! Now get back to that corp finance assignment!! :wink:

RF

Re: Calling all Duke (Fuqua) Fall 2009 applicants!   [#permalink] 05 Oct 2008, 17:48