Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 01:33

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling all Duke (Fuqua) Fall 2009 applicants!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
SVP
SVP
Schools: Kellogg '11
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 179 [0], given: 31

Re: Calling all Duke (Fuqua) Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 08 Oct 2008, 12:14
raabenb wrote:
$42 from airport to Fuqua, $46 from Fuqua to the airport.

thanks raabenb!!
Current Student
Schools: Duke, UCLA, Cornell, Ross,Tuck, Haas
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Duke (Fuqua) Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 08 Oct 2008, 12:22
which hotel do you guys recommend and in which area, I am trying to book a rental and hotel.
SVP
SVP

Re: Calling all Duke (Fuqua) Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 08 Oct 2008, 12:27
prospect wrote:
which hotel do you guys recommend and in which area, I am trying to book a rental and hotel.

I'm staying at the Marriott Courtyard (http://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/rdufs-courtyard-durham-near-duke-university-downtown) in Durham.

I heart my marriott points :)
VP
VP
Schools: Tuck
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 117 [0], given: 6

Re: Calling all Duke (Fuqua) Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 08 Oct 2008, 12:28
prospect wrote:

I haven't stayed there yet, but you can get a room at La Quinta at Chapel Hill for under $60/night! And a free breakfast! :P

It's only a couple miles from campus.

It got great reviews on tripadvisor.com and hotels.com.

RF

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Director
Director
Schools: Cornell '11
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 133 [0], given: 29

Re: Calling all Duke (Fuqua) Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 08 Oct 2008, 12:44
I stayed at the R. David Thomas Executive Conference Center for $140......its very nice and right on the Fuqua premises. Highly recommended.

"George is getting upset!"

Manager
Manager

Re: Calling all Duke (Fuqua) Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 08 Oct 2008, 13:47
refurb wrote:

refurb,

is there any shuttle service available from hotel to campus?
VP
VP

Re: Calling all Duke (Fuqua) Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 08 Oct 2008, 14:29
SV6 wrote:
refurb wrote:

refurb,

is there any shuttle service available from hotel to campus?

I didn't check as I'll be renting a car (sounds like the cheaper way anyways).

If I were you I'd call and check.

RF

SVP
SVP
Schools: The Duke MBA, Class of 2009
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 180 [0], given: 2

Re: Calling all Duke (Fuqua) Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 08 Oct 2008, 14:40
if you'll be here on Saturdays, stay later for the fun events that i'm coordinating!!

(We're having some tech problems with the new web site, so they're not posted, but I promise they're real)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Duke (Fuqua) Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 08 Oct 2008, 15:39
I have a friend there.He said he can drop me at the campus.
Current Student
Schools: CBS, Cornell, Duke, Ross, Darden
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 188 [0], given: 4

Re: Calling all Duke (Fuqua) Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 08 Oct 2008, 19:57
tigershahkhan wrote:
hey, im from the area of Chapel Hill/Duke, are you kidding me????? I also plan on applying for new year 10 EA, still got to ace that GMAT, anyway. my point is if you got to go to Duke, from the airport take the TTA bus, which is a transit bus, but goes straight to its main terminal and then you can transfer from their to a bus that goes directly to Duke, only for $2.00 each way, so maybe a total of an extra of half an hour trip. And for a nice but cheap place to stay is Red House Inn (i think thatz the name) its right next to 15-501 and Interstate 40. If you wanna get to check out Chapel Hill, or better yet, you got an interview at Kennan and want to knock down 2 birds with one stone, take the Robertson Scholars bus, it free, just like all the other buses in Chapel Hill. Hope this helps.

I think I got a headache trying to read this post.
Current Student
Schools: Duke, UCLA, Cornell, Ross,Tuck, Haas

Re: Calling all Duke (Fuqua) Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 09 Oct 2008, 07:37
Thanks guys! Will book soon...
Current Student
Schools: CBS, Cornell, Duke, Ross, Darden
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 188 [0], given: 4

Re: Calling all Duke (Fuqua) Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 09 Oct 2008, 09:02
ryguy904 wrote:
I attended the info session in Santa Monica last night. Only about 15 prospective students. In addition to an adcom officer, the associate dean made a surprise appearance (I think he coincidentally happened to be traveling to LA). There were also three alumni who attended.

A couple of takeaways:
1) During the presentation, they beat the "leader of consequence" bit to death. :beat Based on this, I have no doubt that success on essay #4 is going to be CRITICAL to one's success on the application.
2) The staff and alumni were super duper friendly. I've been to probably 5-6 of these events over the last 2 years, and this was by far the friendliest group of people. The adcom was very warm and inviting and not intimidating at all. It was almost as if they were so thankful that we attended and wanted to give as much info on the program/process as possible.

As a (personal) side note, I spent a good deal of time chatting with the associate dean and the adcom member after the session. I seriously got a free 20 minute interview. My work experience is pretty interesting (especially considering what is going on with the financial/credit markets right now) and I felt like I really had a great opportunity to articulate my candidacy through my experiences. I hadn't planned to go into this whole spiel, but things just kind of went that direction. Not sure if these folks are coming to a town near you, but if there was a small turnout for the reception in LA, then you are likely to get some decent personal attention in another city as well.

Another thing that I wanted to add (as I remembered this when I was at lunch with terp06 yesterday!). As mentioned, I work for a company severly impacted by the financial/credit crisis. I asked the assoc. dean if there would be any sort of black cloud over my resume or a bad impression that I was merely applying for MBA school because of my situation (in fact, I am not applying because of my situation, but didn't want it to necessarily look as if that is the case). His response was "not at all." In fact, he said they are actively trying to recruit people from Bear Stearns (Alan Schwartz was a Dukie), Lehman Brother, and Wachovia (Bob Steele in a Dukie).
Current Student
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 1

Re: Calling all Duke (Fuqua) Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 10 Oct 2008, 17:46
I am ready for the EA, but not finding an interview spot. What happens if I submit my app, but can't interview until 1st Nov?

Granted I was late in looking for an interview slot, I was extremely busy with some changes on the personal front. Did you all get an interview slot?
VP
VP

Re: Calling all Duke (Fuqua) Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 10 Oct 2008, 18:13
aakashganga wrote:
I am ready for the EA, but not finding an interview spot. What happens if I submit my app, but can't interview until 1st Nov?

Granted I was late in looking for an interview slot, I was extremely busy with some changes on the personal front. Did you all get an interview slot?

In your situation, I would email the adcom. I setup my interview a long time ago (R1).

RF

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Duke (Fuqua) Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 10 Oct 2008, 19:19
aakashganga wrote:

Did you actually schedule an interview for Nov 1st? If you did you should be fine since that date is the EA interview deadline. The thing is I don't think there are any Nov 1st slots left, since it's a Saturday slot and those go fast.
Current Student
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 1

Re: Calling all Duke (Fuqua) Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 10 Oct 2008, 19:23
No. I didn't. By the time I could finalize a date, all slots were gone.
SVP
SVP

Re: Calling all Duke (Fuqua) Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 10 Oct 2008, 20:02
Didn't realize this:

Quote:
Transcripts
Your application for admission to The Duke MBA must include a legible, scanned copy of your official transcript(s) that can be uploaded to the online application form. Self-reported transcripts are not acceptable with the online application. You should submit scanned transcripts for each college or university you have attended. Hard copies of official transcripts will not be accepted prior to an offer of admission.

I'll have to be uber-organized on Monday to get this!
Director
Director
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 51 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Duke (Fuqua) Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 11 Oct 2008, 16:29
I just signed up for my interview and noticed that the email said the dress code is business casual. Are you guys actually dressing business casual or are you wearing a suit? I'd prefer to wear a suit. For those that have already interviewed - how many people at your visit were in suit v non suit? Thanks
VP
VP

Re: Calling all Duke (Fuqua) Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 11 Oct 2008, 16:32
IHateTheGMAT wrote:
I just signed up for my interview and noticed that the email said the dress code is business casual. Are you guys actually dressing business casual or are you wearing a suit? I'd prefer to wear a suit. For those that have already interviewed - how many people at your visit were in suit v non suit? Thanks

I noticed that too and I was going to go with a suit, but I'm curious what others who have actually interviewed did.

RF

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Chicago (R2), Kellogg (R2), Tuck (R1), Darden (R1), Cornell (R1), Texas (R2), Rice (R1)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Duke (Fuqua) Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 11 Oct 2008, 16:41
where did u read that?

Traffic never sleeps...

Re: Calling all Duke (Fuqua) Fall 2009 applicants!   [#permalink] 11 Oct 2008, 16:41