Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 05 Mar 2015, 14:34

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling all Duke (Fuqua) Fall 2009 applicants!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Tuck, Ross (R1), Duke, Tepper, ISB (R2), Kenan Flagler (R2)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Duke (Fuqua) Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 19 Oct 2008, 13:08
refurb wrote:
rgajare14 wrote:
Have you guys copy pasted the essay question in the document that you upload for Duke ?

Nope. It didn't specifically ask for it (unlike Michigan), so I wasn't willing to give up the space! :wink:

When you finish your app, it gives you a chance to see the app as the adcom will see it (pdf file). When you upload the essays, the app software actually puts headers on each page. For the first essay it puts "Short Essay 1", then your name and app ID number.

So there shouldn't be a need to put it there yourself.

BTW, look over the pdf file carefully, some of the formatting doesn't transfer well. If you notice, the apps asks you for "part-time work during school" in two different places. But on the pdf, it doesn't really belong in one of the places.

RF

Yeah..I just noticed what you are saying about the Essay no and app Id on every page of the pdf. Anyhow, I had included the question in Tuck and Ross apps, since there the limitation was based on words and not no. of pages.

Before I submitted the Tuck and Ross apps, I did take a careful look at the app generated pdf. But somehow didn't take notice of the essay no. on the header :)

So now, I am certainly not including the question for Duke
VP
VP
Schools: Tuck
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 118 [0], given: 6

Re: Calling all Duke (Fuqua) Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 19 Oct 2008, 13:26
rgajare14 wrote:
Yeah..I just noticed what you are saying about the Essay no and app Id on every page of the pdf. Anyhow, I had included the question in Tuck and Ross apps, since there the limitation was based on words and not no. of pages.

Same here. Ross specifically asks you put the question in the documents you upload, but even if they didn't I would include them as, like you said, they doesn't limit you to a certain number of pages.

RF

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Duke (Fuqua) Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 20 Oct 2008, 08:36
A query about Duke Apps.

They have a section in the educational information section:

Duke requires completion of at least one college-level calculus course with a 'C' or better prior to enrollment. Have you met this requirement?

Well I am a 2003 passout and my Engg. College is VTU Belgaum affiliated. So what calculus course are these guys talking about? Anybody out there can help me?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Chicago (R2), Kellogg (R2), Tuck (R1), Darden (R1), Cornell (R1), Texas (R2), Rice (R1)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Duke (Fuqua) Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 20 Oct 2008, 09:04
refurb wrote:
rgajare14 wrote:

Same here. Ross specifically asks you put the question in the documents you upload, but even if they didn't I would include them as, like you said, they doesn't limit you to a certain number of pages.

RF

Hi I quoted Math 2 and Math 3. I am also from VTU!

Traffic never sleeps...

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: Calling all Duke (Fuqua) Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 20 Oct 2008, 14:25
deepakp wrote:
A query about Duke Apps.

Duke requires completion of at least one college-level calculus course with a 'C' or better prior to enrollment. Have you met this requirement?

Well I am a 2003 passout and my Engg. College is VTU Belgaum affiliated. So what calculus course are these guys talking about? Anybody out there can help me?

Did you study Applied Mathematics during your engineering ?
From my understanding, they want to know whether you have studied -
derivatives, integration and advanced topics related to this.

I studied in Mumbai university. And we had the basics of calculus in the 12th grade itself. Later during Engineering, we had it repeated , but this time it was much more advanced.

Hope that helps.
Current Student
Schools: Duke, UCLA, Cornell, Ross,Tuck, Haas
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Duke (Fuqua) Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 20 Oct 2008, 15:16
rgajare14 wrote:
deepakp wrote:
A query about Duke Apps.

I studied in Mumbai university. And we had the basics of calculus in the 12th grade itself. Later during Engineering, we had it repeated , but this time it was much more advanced.

Hope that helps.

Is using DSP course from Masters OK? What do you guys think? DSP was 70% even more calculus.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: Calling all Duke (Fuqua) Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 20 Oct 2008, 15:52
prospect wrote:
rgajare14 wrote:
deepakp wrote:
A query about Duke Apps.

Hope that helps.

Is using DSP course from Masters OK? What do you guys think? DSP was 70% even more calculus.

:-D It has been more than 7 years and my great memory is failing me. What is DSP ? Is it Digital Signal Processing ? Even if DSP had Calculus, I would refrain from using that to refer to a Calculus background, the only reason being the name. Applied Mathematics, Advanced Mathematics, etc tend to be more appealing. Just my two cents.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: Calling all Duke (Fuqua) Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 21 Oct 2008, 16:35
To Refurb and all those who have submitted their Duke app -

Till what detail did you follow the resume format prescribed in Duke App ? The sample resume is 1 pager and I get that they expect a one page resume and not more. But for example

• the sample has a title of "EXPERIENCE" while I am using "WORK EXPERIENCE".
  • The sample has Education first and I have education last.
  • The sample calls "ADDITIONAL INFORMATION" while I call it "COMMUNITY and INTERESTS".

Additionally there is a slight difference in the amount of indentation I use.

What do you guys think ? Should I follow the sample intricately or I can ignore these fine details ? After all, a resume can have some personalization, right ?
SVP
SVP
Schools: Kellogg '11
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 183 [0], given: 31

Re: Calling all Duke (Fuqua) Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 21 Oct 2008, 16:50
rgajare14 wrote:

Till what detail did you follow the resume format prescribed in Duke App ? The sample resume is 1 pager and I get that they expect a one page resume and not more. But for example

• The sample calls "ADDITIONAL INFORMATION" while I call it "COMMUNITY and INTERESTS".

What do you guys think ? Should I follow the sample intricately or I can ignore these fine details ? After all, a resume can have some personalization, right ?

My resume is similar-ish to that - 1 page, has education first and calls the section "Additional Information". I have the same resume for all my schools so I don't have to change it too much. I also am not planning to change the formatting/indentation....my version is v. legible :)
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V0
GMAT 2: 740 Q40 V50
GMAT 3: 700 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.6

Kudos [?]: 81 [0], given: 84977

Re: Calling all Duke (Fuqua) Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 21 Oct 2008, 17:03
Are you guys keeping that profile summary? And the way they put 5 lines for just your contact information - That is a LOT of space!

ac8706 wrote:
rgajare14 wrote:

My resume is similar-ish to that - 1 page, has education first and calls the section "Additional Information". I have the same resume for all my schools so I don't have to change it too much. I also am not planning to change the formatting/indentation....my version is v. legible :)
VP
VP
Schools: Tuck
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 118 [0], given: 6

Re: Calling all Duke (Fuqua) Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 21 Oct 2008, 23:45
rgajare14 wrote:

I figured it was more of a guideline that a strict format requirement. I just made sure mine was clearly laid out and had the same information.

I left it at that.

RF

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: Calling all Duke (Fuqua) Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 22 Oct 2008, 04:43
Guys. Thanks for your responses. I think I wont get very crazy about it.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: Calling all Duke (Fuqua) Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 22 Oct 2008, 04:44
jlola21 wrote:
Are you guys keeping that profile summary? And the way they put 5 lines for just your contact information - That is a LOT of space!

I totally agree. My name and contact details are wrapped in two lines. I have used pipe separation. Looks decent
Current Student
Schools: Fuqua '11
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Duke (Fuqua) Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 22 Oct 2008, 08:32
rgajare or anyone else who knows-

where is this 'sample resume' you speak of? Do you have a URL by chance? I've been googling for 'sample duke MBA resume' with little success.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [1] , given: 0

Re: Calling all Duke (Fuqua) Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 22 Oct 2008, 08:51
This post received
KUDOS
bostonsparky wrote:

where is this 'sample resume' you speak of? Do you have a URL by chance? I've been googling for 'sample duke MBA resume' with little success.

when you click on the apply now link it will take you a applyyourself url, here once you enter you username and pin you are directed to a page to enter your details. On the left hand side you see a bar, the link to download the sample resume is at the bottom.
Current Student
Schools: Fuqua '11
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Duke (Fuqua) Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 22 Oct 2008, 10:04
deepakp wrote:
bostonsparky wrote:

when you click on the apply now link it will take you a applyyourself url, here once you enter you username and pin you are directed to a page to enter your details. On the left hand side you see a bar, the link to download the sample resume is at the bottom.

found it - thanks deepak!
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Duke (Fuqua) Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 22 Oct 2008, 10:51
Re: the resume format, I am positive that those guys do not care a lick what the headers are titled or what format it's in, as long as it's readable, accessible and easily understandable (like any business resume). I just uploaded my standard resume, with the Objective section rewritten with something about getting into Fuqua.

As for the calculus course, just FYI, I have two friends who have gotten into Fuqua without having previously taken a calculus course in college. They were just requested to satisfactorily complete such a course either in the spring or over the summer before matriculating. So I don't think it's something to freak out about.
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 1

Re: Calling all Duke (Fuqua) Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 22 Oct 2008, 17:49
Any EA applicants here? Has anyone scheduled an interview? or already had one? How are you preparing/prepared?
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
WE: General Management (Manufacturing)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 15

Re: Calling all Duke (Fuqua) Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 22 Oct 2008, 18:38
aakashganga wrote:
Any EA applicants here? Has anyone scheduled an interview? or already had one? How are you preparing/prepared?

Ya, I am an EA applicant.... But I am international, So still waiting for that alum interview invite.....Haven't heard from Duke yet.... :?
Anyone who has got the invite????

Eat like a Pig, Lift like a Demon & Sleep like Dead.............

Director
Director
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 53 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Duke (Fuqua) Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 22 Oct 2008, 18:43
Does anyone know how many deferrals duke gave out last year? I remember hearing about them giving out tons of deferrals to late rounders last year because they admitted to many people in the early rounds. Some amount of the class of 2011 is already accounted for, which will further decrease their acceptance rate this year, but I'm not sure how much.
Re: Calling all Duke (Fuqua) Fall 2009 applicants!   [#permalink] 22 Oct 2008, 18:43

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  11   12   13   14   15   16   17  ...  50    Next  [ 990 posts ]