Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Apr 2014, 08:03

Hurry Up:

Last day of registration for Dealing with a Ding - Webinar by GMATClub and Admissionado Consulting.

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling all Duke (Fuqua) Fall 2009 applicants!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
SVP
SVP
Schools: The Duke MBA, Class of 2009
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 177 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Duke (Fuqua) Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 30 Jul 2008, 17:29
solaris1 wrote:
It places well, but apparently the only office McK/B/B hires for out of Duke is Atlanta. So you may want to keep that in mind?

sonibubu wrote:
How is Fuqua for consulting for career switchers? I see some McK/B/B hires but it's possible they all had previous consulting experience.

Not true. I've got a BCG friend in Chicago, and one in NYC. Another in TX. Yes, a bunch in Atlanta. But that's how consulting often works - a school's recruiting team sends their recruits to the local office. Deloitte is probably the most prone to that, but they all do.

We had 14 people summering at BCG this year. Of the three I know well, none of them had a background in consulting.
SVP
SVP

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Duke (Fuqua) Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 30 Jul 2008, 17:37
i just wrote something kinda longish that got deleted, so I'll just say that our student body is diverse (in terms of ethnicity, citizenship, career background, function, and who knows what else).

Duke has a great program for social enterprise.

And I'm not online much, but will try to be helpful.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
Followers: 74

Kudos [?]: 688 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Duke (Fuqua) Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 30 Jul 2008, 19:06
sonibubu wrote:
solaris1 wrote:
It places well, but apparently the only office McK/B/B hires for out of Duke is Atlanta. So you may want to keep that in mind?

dammit! thanks for the info. I'm trying to go west coast post-MBA.

Something to keep in mind. West coast gigs at the big 3 are some of the most sought after positions and thus are often the hardest to get. If you get an offer from one of those companies and you want to work in MC, your best bet is to suck it up for a few years then try to transfer to a location you prefer. I would say the only near surefire way to land a west coast MC job at one of the big 3 is to get your MBA from Stanford.

Its interesting that Duke is adding the ED round...I wonder if part of this might be due to the increased application volume and this might help to spread it out if they have a small adcom office. Of course it will also allow them to control their R2 admits a little more...they will have a number of committed students figured out before the R2 applications pour in. I remember hearing about Duke giving a lot of deferments this year, could be yield took a big jump this year which is possible due to the increased volume/decrease acceptance rates at higher ranked schools.

Kellogg Class of 2010...still active and willing to help. However, I do not do profile reviews, don't offer predictions on chances and am far to busy to review essays, so save the energy of writing me a PM seeking help for these. If I don't respond to a PM that is not one of the previously mentioned trash can destined messages, please don't take it personally I get so many messages I have a hard to responding to most. The more interesting, compelling, or humorous you message the more likely I am to respond.

Director
Director
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Duke (Fuqua) Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 18 Aug 2008, 09:45
Does anyone know the recommendation questions asked last year by Duke?

Thanks!

~Sam
Director
Director
Schools: Cornell '11
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 129 [0], given: 29

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Duke (Fuqua) Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 18 Aug 2008, 10:00
It was available in PDF for download on Fuqua's application. I am not sure if it is still up. I have a copy of the form saved on my computer at home so I will post it when I get home (if you still need it).

sam77sam7 wrote:
Does anyone know the recommendation questions asked last year by Duke?

Thanks!

~Sam

"George is getting upset!"

Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Duke (Fuqua) Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 18 Aug 2008, 12:23
Thanks raab, I would really appreciate it!
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Duke (Fuqua) Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 19 Aug 2008, 14:09
I was planning a campus visit and interview at the same time. But after seeing the R1 interview schedule it seems I have to postpone my trip to sometime in Nov. This also means that I cannot mention about campus visit in my application. I have never visited Duke campus before. How serious is adcom about campus visits? Do you think I should plan two visits one before the deadline and another one for an interview in Nov.

How other people are handling this situation?

Any advice is appreciated.

thanks
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Schools: Cornell '11
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 129 [1] , given: 29

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Duke (Fuqua) Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 19 Aug 2008, 14:21
This post received
KUDOS
As promised!

sam77sam7 wrote:
Thanks raab, I would really appreciate it!

Attachments

Recommendation_Duke_2008.pdf [55.46 KiB]
Downloaded 164 times

To download please login or register as a user

"George is getting upset!"

Current Student
Schools: Duke, UCLA, Cornell, Ross,Tuck, Haas
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Duke (Fuqua) Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 19 Aug 2008, 15:02
I am worried about the class visit as well , since the interview slots are available only for Nov. it will not be possible to mention about the visit it in the essays. With the current airfares don't think I can make multiple trips!
Current Student

Re: Calling all Duke (Fuqua) Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 19 Aug 2008, 15:04
dagrobo wrote:
I was planning a campus visit and interview at the same time. But after seeing the R1 interview schedule it seems I have to postpone my trip to sometime in Nov. This also means that I cannot mention about campus visit in my application. I have never visited Duke campus before. How serious is adcom about campus visits? Do you think I should plan two visits one before the deadline and another one for an interview in Nov.

How other people are handling this situation?

Any advice is appreciated.

thanks

I am worried about the class visit as well , since the interview slots are available only for Nov. it will not be possible to mention about the visit in the essays. With the current airfares don't think I can make multiple trips!
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Duke (Fuqua) Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 19 Aug 2008, 15:44
Thanks Raab!! I really appreciate it.
VP
VP
Schools: Tuck
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 112 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Duke (Fuqua) Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 19 Aug 2008, 20:50
prospect wrote:
I am worried about the class visit as well , since the interview slots are available only for Nov. it will not be possible to mention about the visit in the essays. With the current airfares don't think I can make multiple trips!

I'm still not sure if I'm applying to Duke R1 or R2, but I scheduled an interview in mid-November. If I do submit my app R1 (Oct 22nd), then I too won't be visiting before I apply.

I'm going to make up for that by contacting current students and alumni (Duke has a great alumni database that you can search).

RF
SVP
SVP

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Duke (Fuqua) Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 20 Aug 2008, 06:46
Guys, don't worry about not visiting before application submission. yes, your essays are richer, but if you do your homework, you'll be fine. Read every word of the web site, talk to current students or alums, etc.

I didn't visit until after I had submitted, and look at me now......(tongue firmly in cheek)

Sometimes visits are more about yield management than part of the actual application.

And search for a post by lhotseface - he had good advice for personalizing your app. He probably posted it sometime in December (or maybe Nov) of 2006....aeons ago.
Intern
Intern

Re: Calling all Duke (Fuqua) Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 20 Aug 2008, 15:27
aaudetat,
I am asssuming that you are currently attending Duke. Can you provide your insights about the interview process.

How long is the interview?
What is the focus of the interview?

Thanks
1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
Schools: Tuck
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 112 [1] , given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Duke (Fuqua) Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 20 Aug 2008, 15:51
This post received
KUDOS
aaudetat wrote:
And search for a post by lhotseface - he had good advice for personalizing your app. He probably posted it sometime in December (or maybe Nov) of 2006....aeons ago.

Found it!!

http://gmatclub.com/forum/p282155#p282155

RF
Intern
Intern

Re: Calling all Duke (Fuqua) Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 20 Aug 2008, 16:41
refurb wrote:
aaudetat wrote:

Found it!!

http://gmatclub.com/forum/p282155#p282155

RF

Thanks RF
Good job. I was trying to search this in office today. Now even my manager knows what I do in office. :)
Current Student

Re: Calling all Duke (Fuqua) Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 21 Aug 2008, 11:41
Hi,

Is anybody planning on applying to the Duke MBA Weekend for Women event? I am really interested but by the time the event takes place I would have already submitted my application. From the description of the program , it looks like the event is targeted towards prospective students applying in the Round 2.

Any comments?
SVP
SVP

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Duke (Fuqua) Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 21 Aug 2008, 14:39
prospect wrote:
Hi,

Is anybody planning on applying to the Duke MBA Weekend for Women event? I am really interested but by the time the event takes place I would have already submitted my application. From the description of the program , it looks like the event is targeted towards prospective students applying in the Round 2.

Any comments?

you should totally go - i was on the organizing committee last year. about half of the students applied in r1, about half in r2...of course, last year's was a bit earlier. but my point is, do it! it's a great time and good networking.
SVP
SVP

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Duke (Fuqua) Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 21 Aug 2008, 14:42
dagrobo wrote:
aaudetat,
I am asssuming that you are currently attending Duke. Can you provide your insights about the interview process.

How long is the interview?
What is the focus of the interview?

Thanks

interviews are with SYs, 30 min long. generally very chatty and informal. you'll likely get "walk me through your resume" and "why duke? why mba?" and "tell me about a team role you've had."

I know that in the last 2 yrs, there have been extensive post-interview reports, if anyone cares to dig it up. (can you guys tell i hate searching for old posts?)
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Duke (Fuqua) Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 21 Aug 2008, 14:46
Any current Duke students know much about the Cross-Continent EMBA program? Any thoughts/feedback that you may have heard about this program? It sounds solid to me since I could keep my job and get my MBA at the same time. However, I'm worried about the whole "networking" prospects with the program since it's only a class of about 50-60 students and it is a part-time program.

Any thoughts? Thanks!
Re: Calling all Duke (Fuqua) Fall 2009 applicants!   [#permalink] 21 Aug 2008, 14:46