Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Aug 2014, 06:26

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling all Duke (Fuqua) Fall 2009 applicants!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: Fuqua '11
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 36 [1] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Duke (Fuqua) Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 13 Feb 2009, 08:32
This post received
KUDOS
Toubab wrote:
You'll excuse the snark, but the irony of the president of DeBeers speaking about corporate social responsibility and African development is a little overwhelming. Oy.

Wow. If anyone goes to this, be sure to ask her about what Cecil Rhodes(founder of DeBeers) really intended the money for 'Rhodes Scholars' to be used for. Next thing they'll have Nike's CEO talk about southeast Asian labor practices.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: Yale SOM 2011
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 9 [1] , given: 7

Re: Calling all Duke (Fuqua) Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 13 Feb 2009, 08:52
This post received
KUDOS
Just got back from my Duke interview! The campus is awsome. The vibe I got reminds me of my undergrad (a good thing since I had a blast)

Here's my debrief:

1.) Airport is really close I rented a car for 2 days for about $100.00
2.) Head to Breeden Hall when on campus
3.) Weather was perfect maybe 65 F.

Here are some questions asked in my aprox hour long interview:

1.) If you could only show me an inch of your resume what would you show me?
2.) If you could only highlight one thing on your resume what would it be and why?
3.Walk through resume
4.) Short/Long term goals
5.) Why Duke?
6.) What can you contribute outside of class?
7.) How would your friends describe you?
8.) What areas of improvements you hope to strengthen at Duke?
9.) If you caught some one violating the ethics code what would you do?
10.) If you could pick 3 people to be on your team alive or dead who would they be and why?

Useful information (as highlighted by TheFreedomAngel):

1) Bring your resume, they will ask for it
2) The interview, tour, administration were all handled by Duke students in Breeden Hall
3) First was to sign in with the students, they will have portfolios and name tags prepared for you
4) You have a home-base near where you sign in to sit with other applicants, and some Duke students will be there to chat with you
5) Interviewers, basically second year students, will come pick up and bring applicants into a small room to conduct interview
6) They will show you Breeden Hall and Fox Center, basically all in the same building, if you signed up for a tour
7) Every student will have business cards to give out, so you don't need to specifically write down their contact unless they ran out of cards
8.) It says busniness casual, but I wore a suit and so did most other applicants

Good luck everyone :lol:
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: Duke, Darden (i/v-ed, withdrawn),Kellogg
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [1] , given: 0

Re: Calling all Duke (Fuqua) Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 13 Feb 2009, 09:26
This post received
KUDOS
bostonsparky wrote:
Toubab wrote:
You'll excuse the snark, but the irony of the president of DeBeers speaking about corporate social responsibility and African development is a little overwhelming. Oy.

Wow. If anyone goes to this, be sure to ask her about what Cecil Rhodes(founder of DeBeers) really intended the money for 'Rhodes Scholars' to be used for. Next thing they'll have Nike's CEO talk about southeast Asian labor practices.

My take is the sooner DeBeers/Nike take a stand and begin correcting the wrongs the better. It may sound corny, but stories of Angulimal and Schindler come to mind.

Lets remind them of their "true" intentions/track record, make them feel guilty and then extract their help.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: Fuqua

Kudos [?]: 39 [1] , given: 0

Re: Calling all Duke (Fuqua) Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 13 Feb 2009, 10:19
This post received
KUDOS
Just in case anyone else was perplexed by that reference...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angulimal
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: Kellogg, Duke, Ross, Chicago Booth

Kudos [?]: 7 [1] , given: 0

Re: Calling all Duke (Fuqua) Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 01 Mar 2009, 09:09
This post received
KUDOS
Hi guys,

I'm an R2 applicant to Duke. I submitted my app on 01/07 and interviewed on-campus on a Super Satrurday (01/31). Could someone please add me to the R2 team on the first page -- thanks.

I am assuming all R2 applicants must have gotten the address update email a couple of days ago. It read something like this:

Dear shayne:

The Duke MBA Office of Admissions is preparing for the March 10 release of our
admission decisions for the current application round. Admission decisions are
communicated via e-mail and a hard copy of the decision letter is sent in the
mail. The mailing address and preferred phone number that we currently have
on file is below. Please notify our office immediately if this information has
changed to ensure that you receive this correspondence.

My address

Thank you again for your interest in The Duke MBA!

Sincerely,

The Duke MBA Office of Admissions
919-660-7705
application-processing@fuqua.duke.edu

The email mentioned preferred phone number but didn't have anything on the file for me as a phone#. I have browsed this thread and it seems as though most applicants are informed via the online system anyway. So is there even a point in emailing them back with a preferred phone #?
1 KUDOS received
Current Student

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Duke (Fuqua) Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 09 Mar 2009, 08:20
This post received
KUDOS
puipui wrote:
Does the adcom call the applicants for R-1?

Not that I'm aware of. I wasn't called.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Re: Calling all Duke (Fuqua) Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 10 Mar 2009, 08:13
This post received
KUDOS
Just got my acceptance to Duke :woohoo
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: Kellogg, Emory, Booth, Yale, Cornell, Duke

Kudos [?]: 29 [1] , given: 3

Re: Calling all Duke (Fuqua) Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 10 Mar 2009, 08:45
This post received
KUDOS
I am in.
But I am pretty sure, I am headed to Cornell.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Schools: Haas, Duke , Ross
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 0

Re: Calling all Duke (Fuqua) Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 10 Mar 2009, 08:46
This post received
KUDOS
yay...i am in. :) Congrats to the admits! And good luck to those who wait!

Last edited by energystar on 10 Mar 2009, 09:20, edited 1 time in total.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Duke (Fuqua) Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 10 Mar 2009, 08:52
This post received
KUDOS
Looks like the WLs are pretty prevalent today. Keep in mind:

1) The school historically has had a sub-50% yield rate. Yes I'm sure it wishes that was higher but at the same time I feel it's a testament to how many really bright students apply to Duke.

2) Duke's pretty much the first R2 school to release decisions. Later this month when some other schools release their decisions, some students will start to send back their cards declining admission.

3) If you look at the wait list stats for Duke on GClub from last year, a lot of the WLs later became admits

So there are definitely concrete reasons for optimism guys!
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: Ross '12 (MBA/MS)

Kudos [?]: 67 [1] , given: 34

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Duke (Fuqua) Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 10 Mar 2009, 09:21
This post received
KUDOS
Hoooray!

I am in for the class of 2012. I'm a dual degree applicant, so I'm still waiting on my decision from the Nicholas School.

:rotate :rotate :rotate

PS - I also messed up royaly on the LOC essay.

Profile | GMAT | Erb Institute

1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Schools: Cornell '11
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 131 [1] , given: 29

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Duke (Fuqua) Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 10 Mar 2009, 10:04
This post received
KUDOS
Wow that is definately very very rare that an interviewer would A) say that B) you dont get in after they say that.......

Whether or not you contact her, you should examine how the interview ended. Did she sound very open to the thought of you contacting her directly with admissions questions or was it more "if you have any other questions about the program, please contact me"?

If it was the latter or you are not sure, I again would not contact them directly.

MBAAspirant2008 wrote:
The worst part is my interview was conducted by the adcom member (personal one) and she said that i was a stellar candidate and she would be shocked if i don't get in !!

So should i give her that shock atleast ? ha ha

I mean should i tell her..and ask some inputs from her ?

or else i should just hold on and chill !! (prob i got too much carried away by the interviewer's comments)

"George is getting upset!"

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Re: Calling all Duke (Fuqua) Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 20 Mar 2009, 06:54
This post received
KUDOS
WOW. I got my admit package in the mail yesterday and was surprised and delighted to find that Duke offered me a very hefty merit scholarship. I'm still in a state of shock :punk
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Re: Calling all Duke (Fuqua) Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 20 Mar 2009, 13:26
This post received
KUDOS
Carterman32 wrote:
smokedpotatoes2 wrote:
WOW. I got my admit package in the mail yesterday and was surprised and delighted to find that Duke offered me a very hefty merit scholarship. I'm still in a state of shock :punk

What do you consider "hefty"? I got $8000/yr, and consider that pretty useless given that the education costs almost $130,000.

18,000/year -- 18/50 (tutition only) = 36% savings so I view 36% scholarship as very generous, considering I wasn't expecting a scholarship at all!!! :bouncer
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Duke (Fuqua) Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 20 Mar 2009, 17:28
This post received
KUDOS
Regardless of what people say: the $18k is AWESOME, you should be PROUD of it, and it will DEFINITELY help out with your overall finances. Congrats!

smokedpotatoes2 wrote:
I'm sorry to hear that 36% off barely makes a dent to you. For me that was great news as I wasn't expecting anything and I'm very appreciative that Duke would be so generous!

1 KUDOS received
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Duke (Fuqua) Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 28 Apr 2009, 06:01
This post received
KUDOS
We have a lot of people on GmatClub who got accepted from a waitlist, myself included. This is a great year to be on waitlists because the application volume has gone down overall (for most schools compared to last year). Be positive! And the fact that you are on 3 waitlists, your chances to get off at least one are pretty good 8-)

BklynMatt wrote:
I am also in the same boat. However, i know from the BW board that Fuqua did remove people from the WL at the round 3 deadline. however, i don't have a lot of faith in waitlists this year (and this is coming from someone on 3 of them).

1 KUDOS received
Current Student

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Duke (Fuqua) Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 06 May 2009, 07:18
This post received
KUDOS
eileen1017 wrote:
Will the school send any notice to the waitlisted student and let them know that at the end they are still getting rejected because no more seats left? I still haven't heard anything from Duke yet for the R2 WL. I know that the deadline for those who want to attend Duke to send in deposit is May 1st. I guess I should still wait a little bit longer? I am thinking maybe they want to know how many people actually send in the deposit and then decide to remove someone from WL? Any thoughts?

I know that they accept deposits as long as they were postmarked by the deposit deadline as opposed to received (per an email I got from their MBA office). So I'm sure it'd be at least a week before they'd say "ok, all these people didn't pay it, lets replace them with these people" etc.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: Duke, Michigan, Yale, Georgetown, Kellogg, Wharton
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [1] , given: 0

Re: Calling all Duke (Fuqua) Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 06 May 2009, 11:09
This post received
KUDOS
Hey everyone, I officially committed to Duke a few weeks ago.

I also wanted to pass along some information that I had from Admissions. They said that they had a really high yield from the early action round and rounds 1 and 2, so very few waitlisters and round 3 applicants will be getting in. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but hopefully you guys will still make it in.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: Fuqua

Kudos [?]: 39 [1] , given: 0

Re: Calling all Duke (Fuqua) Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 19 Jun 2009, 09:55
This post received
KUDOS
Fuqua's 2008-2009 preliminary employment report is out. Judge for yourself.

https://www.fuquaworld.duke.edu/cmcfile ... -03-09.pdf

Also, for what it's worth, I prefer the Federal (bar) and Elmo's (diner) in Durham.
Director
Director
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Duke (Fuqua) Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 11 Jul 2008, 04:09
Has Duke released their questions yet?

~Sam
Re: Calling all Duke (Fuqua) Fall 2009 applicants!   [#permalink] 11 Jul 2008, 04:09