Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 29 Jul 2014, 02:50

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling all Duke (Fuqua) Fall 2009 applicants!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
Schools: Tuck
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 117 [1] , given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Duke (Fuqua) Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 19 Dec 2008, 16:21
This post received
KUDOS
atlmba2009 wrote:
Ntang wrote:
There was a blurb at the bottom of that acceptance letter I found interesting - the admissions office will contact you in the fall of 2009 to find out what you've been doing in the interim since accepting the offer.

Seriously, they said "since accepting the offer" in your initial notification of admission? Isn't that a tad presumptuous?

You don't understand! Now the tables have turned! It's like dating. Now Duke has said "I love you!".

Remember when you said in your essays "As a Duke MBA student I plan to..."

Well, now it's there turn!

RF

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Duke (Fuqua) Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 20 Dec 2008, 11:25
My wording wasn't exact - I was just getting across the gist of what they said.

Yeah, I can't imagine they would hold it against me for going to enjoy myself a bit before school started. Now that I know I'm in somewhere, at least, I'm quitting my job in May (June at the latest) to go do some traveling. Wonder how the adcom would react to hearing about my two-month coke bender in South America before starting classes?
Current Student
Schools: Ross '12 (MBA/MS)

Kudos [?]: 66 [0], given: 34

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Duke (Fuqua) Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 20 Dec 2008, 11:30
Ntang wrote:
Wonder how the adcom would react to hearing about my two-month coke bender in South America before starting classes?

You can use your experience to expand the "perspectives" of your fellow classmates.
Current Student
Schools: Michigan

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Duke (Fuqua) Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 20 Dec 2008, 11:38
YihWei wrote:
Ntang wrote:
Wonder how the adcom would react to hearing about my two-month coke bender in South America before starting classes?

You can use your experience to expand the "perspectives" of your fellow classmates.

Minus the coke part, I've actually been thinking about doing that. Either south America or eastern Europe.
SVP
SVP
Schools: Kellogg '11
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 176 [0], given: 31

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Duke (Fuqua) Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 20 Dec 2008, 13:05
YihWei wrote:
Ntang wrote:

Teach them "networking" skills you learned...
Manager
Manager

Re: Calling all Duke (Fuqua) Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 21 Dec 2008, 10:41
In all seriousness, my plan now is to do a two-month trip from Niamey or Ouagadougou (capitals of Niger and Burkina Faso, respectively) to Dakar, overland via bush taxi. I'm a returned Peace Corps volunteer and know my way around francophone African countries, and I'm really looking forward to it. Any takers?
Current Student
Schools: Chicago Booth '11
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Duke (Fuqua) Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 21 Dec 2008, 11:10
Ntang wrote:
In all seriousness, my plan now is to do a two-month trip from Niamey or Ouagadougou (capitals of Niger and Burkina Faso, respectively) to Dakar, overland via bush taxi. I'm a returned Peace Corps volunteer and know my way around francophone African countries, and I'm really looking forward to it. Any takers?

Sounds exciting. I've always wanted to do an African trek. I'll probably be back home in eastern Africa myself (I live in California now). It all depends on when my brother decides to get married.
Manager
Manager
Schools: Haas, Booth-PT

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 1

Re: Calling all Duke (Fuqua) Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 21 Dec 2008, 18:26
Do I have to submit official transcript of my undergrad to apply or a scan would be fine? whats the requirement...anyone can share a link or something...

-----------------------------------------
My best friend gave me the best advice

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 70 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Duke (Fuqua) Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 21 Dec 2008, 18:30
mindgame wrote:
Do I have to submit official transcript of my undergrad to apply or a scan would be fine? whats the requirement...anyone can share a link or something...

When you start your application, I believe it is in the education section where you can upload your transcript. I scaned mine to a pdf file.
3 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: Ross '12 (MBA/MS)

Kudos [?]: 66 [3] , given: 34

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Duke (Fuqua) Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 22 Dec 2008, 02:04
This post received
KUDOS
Now that all the R1 excitement has died down a bit (congrats to all you admits, btw!), I thought I'd post my experiences visiting/interviewing at Fuqua.

I was on campus from 12/11-13. One of my college roommates, who is a FY (first year student) at Fuqua, advised me to visit that weekend because it was the last day of classes for term 2. Thinking back on my experiences, I don't think there could have been a better time for me to visit. I had a blast!

I touched down at RDU late Thursday (12/11) night and headed straight for Station 9, a popular graduate student only apartment/condominium complex about 2 miles away from Fuqua. It ended up being a 25-30 minute cab ride that cost about 42$ (including tip). Not bad at all.

Interview
The next morning, I headed to campus where I chatted with current students and other perspectives in the visitor's lounge as I waited for my tour and lunch to start. After the tour of Fuqua and a quick bite to eat, I had my interview with a current SY (second year student). Even though my interviewer stuck to a list of questions, the interview was very conversational and low-pressure. Here are some of the questions that I remember:

Why an MBA? Why Duke?
Resume walkthrough.
3 strengths.
3 weaknesses.
3 people you'd like you have on your team.
Leadership example.
What is your leadership style?
When do you decide to take a leadership role on a team?
What do you contribute to a team?
There's one spot left in this year's incoming class. Tell me why Duke should take you.

There were a few more questions, but I can't remember them off the top of my head. Nothing out of the ordinary and definitely no surprises. This was probably my best interview, and ironically, the interview that I prepared the least for.

Fuqua Friday
The tour was great and the interview went well but everything afterwards was what made my trip so enjoyable. Every Friday, Fuqua has a happy hour type event called Fuqua Friday. There are snacks and free beer available for people to just hang out, chat, and unwind after a busy week. It's hosted by a different organization or club and this week there was a brand challenge.

My friend and his partner organized a challenge called "Jell-O Shot", comparing Jell-O made with sugar with Jell-O made with sweetner. The objective of the game was to throw a ping pong ball the length of a table into a cup with a Jell-O shot in it. A made shot resulted in a point earned for your section. Regardless of miss or make, you would get to eat a Jell-O shot (non-alcoholic) and then guess whether it was sugar or sugar-free. A correct guess would also earn your section a point. Other tables compared products such as body spray and lipstick but I didn't get a chance to visit them since I was too busy tallying the points for Jell-O Shot, drinking beer, and stuffing my face with chicken fingers and cheese-infused tater tots. If any of you current Fuqua students happen to come by the table, I was the guy in the back wearing the blue zip-up fleece.

Fuqua Vision
Around 7, people started filing out of the Fox Center and toward the auditorium for Fuqua Vision, a SNL-type video comedy show. Throughout the term, students create videos that poke fun at business school related topics and especially their fellow classmates. The popularity of this event was amazing and the line to get into the auditorium filled the atrium. Inside wasn't much better as students lined the hallways and sat on the stairs just to catch the show, which lasted about an hour. This was a perfect example of how tight-knit the student body is at Fuqua.

Nightlife
Later that night we went to a house party, where about 20-30 FYs were hanging out and drinking. It was a really relaxed atmosphere and the perfect opportunity to chat with students about their experiences at Fuqua. Everyone was really friendly and very open to chatting with me and introducing me to their friends who also shared my goals and interests. I even ran into my tour guide there!

A few beers later we made our way to a local bar called Shooters. Nothing too special, just a few bars and a mechanical bull, but supposedly it's one of the more popular hangouts for Fuqua students (moreso by lack of options than by choice, haha). Inside, a man with a mullet wearing a t-shirt with the American flag on it ran up to me and yelled, "MY ancestors and YOUR ancestors can live in HARMONY. Wooooooooooo!!!!!" and proceeded to give me many hi-fives. I was caught off guard at first, but being the happy drunk that I am, I soon recripocated his excitement. Fun times.

Overall, I had a blast. I got my interview out of the way and I was able to experience Fuqua outside of the cookie-cutter tour/class/info session that people usually experience during a campus visit. My visit allowed me to really immerse myself in the culture of Fuqua and see how students interact with each other, not only in a school atmosphere but also in their personal lives. I feel like this is a place I can see myself spending the next 2-3 years of my life.

Round 2 here I come!
Attachments

File comment: Fuqua Foxes or local hotties? You decide...
Shooters.JPG
Shooters.JPG [ 79.28 KiB | Viewed 1924 times ]

File comment: Jell-O Shot!
Jell-O Shot.JPG
Jell-O Shot.JPG [ 72.22 KiB | Viewed 1914 times ]

VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 117 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Duke (Fuqua) Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 22 Dec 2008, 05:38
YihWei wrote:
Now that all the R1 excitement has died down a bit (congrats to all you admits, btw!), I thought I'd post my experiences visiting/interviewing at Fuqua.

Nice summary Yihwei!! :drunk

RF

Manager
Manager
Schools: Haas, Booth-PT

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 1

Re: Calling all Duke (Fuqua) Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 22 Dec 2008, 07:44
eileen1017 wrote:
mindgame wrote:

When you start your application, I believe it is in the education section where you can upload your transcript. I scaned mine to a pdf file.

Thanks!

-----------------------------------------
My best friend gave me the best advice

Manager
Manager
Schools: Duke, Darden (i/v-ed, withdrawn),Kellogg

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Duke (Fuqua) Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 23 Dec 2008, 05:46
I put this question on another thread as well. I wonder what effect the loan w/o cosigner is having on international applicants. I know for sure couple of friends who have decided against applying to several schools because of the loan issue.

Has the volume of international applicants gone down? Are we going to see less diverse classes in top B- schools?
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Duke (Fuqua) Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 24 Dec 2008, 00:33
I am "dinged", that ends the only real hope of getting into B School this year. The co-signor clause has hit me so badly that any other college is ruled out. All the best to guys who got through!!
Manager
Manager

Re: Calling all Duke (Fuqua) Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 24 Dec 2008, 06:08
deepakp wrote:
I am "dinged", that ends the only real hope of getting into B School this year. The co-signor clause has hit me so badly that any other college is ruled out. All the best to guys who got through!!

It must have, as it leaves only 3 schools to apply to..K/Chi/HBS..and we all know how diifcult it is for Indian applicants to get admit from these schools.

But even admits have been hit hard. At least one admit I know has decided to go ahead with the Indian School of Business, solely due to loan issue.

At least Duke has demonstrated empathy with int'l admits by being open to deferrals and trying hard to put something in place.

Schools such as Ross and Columbia have gone several notches down in my eyes, I know it means nothing, because of their response to the loan scenario..
Manager
Manager

Re: Calling all Duke (Fuqua) Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 24 Dec 2008, 07:00
Does anyone know how many students receive merit scholarships of any amount?
Manager
Manager

Re: Calling all Duke (Fuqua) Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 24 Dec 2008, 10:36
I know at least 2 EA admits who received 20k + schol..SV6 being one of them.
Intern
Intern
Schools: Ross, Kellogg, Johnson

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Michigan (Ross) Fall 2009 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 24 Dec 2008, 21:20
seeing all you guys get into Duke makes me feel want to apply there too...not saying it is easy...don't know why i dodn't consider duke upto now! refurb, spidey anyone...if you know some kind folks at duke ready to give me some inside info to help me with my school-specific essay app, please PM me.

also if such info can be shared by u, let me know. (more and more i am feeling this should be on a duke forum)

also is duke older app friendly? i am 34(!)...i know i repeat myself...but late applicant thought repeats itself everyday day at least a million times in my head :)

without a visit, is there a chance in R2?
VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 117 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Michigan (Ross) Fall 2009 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 25 Dec 2008, 08:26
rscricket wrote:
seeing all you guys get into Duke makes me feel want to apply there too...not saying it is easy...don't know why i dodn't consider duke upto now! refurb, spidey anyone...if you know some kind folks at duke ready to give me some inside info to help me with my school-specific essay app, please PM me.

also if such info can be shared by u, let me know. (more and more i am feeling this should be on a duke forum)

also is duke older app friendly? i am 34(!)...i know i repeat myself...but late applicant thought repeats itself everyday day at least a million times in my head :)

The best way to get in contact with some current Duke students is search for clubs that you are interested in. Most of them list the club leadership and that way you'll get a perspective from someone with similar interests.

I think Duke is quite older applicant friendly. The average age of matriculation is 29. I'll be 33 when I start b-school and another gmatclub member just got accepted and is 36.

RF

Current Student
Schools: Chicago Booth '11

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Michigan (Ross) Fall 2009 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 25 Dec 2008, 09:52
rscricket wrote:

Hi rscricket,

I'm a R1 admit and I am 35. I'll be nearly 36 at matriculation. Also, even though I live in the US (California), I didn't get a chance to visit the campus. I requested and was granted an alumni interview in San Francisco. I think my interviewer was also in his mid-30s when he attended Duke. I did attend a Duke info session out here in California, though. Also, I had a good theme throughout my application that had to do with one particular aspect of Duke's new global initiative. I think it showed that I really researched the school well.

Good luck on your app!
Re: Calling all Michigan (Ross) Fall 2009 Applicants!   [#permalink] 25 Dec 2008, 09:52