Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Sep 2014, 04:36

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling all Duke (Fuqua) Fall 2009 applicants!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Current Student
Schools: Cornell, Duke, Kellogg, Ross
WE 1: 5
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 1

Re: Calling all Michigan (Ross) Fall 2009 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 25 Dec 2008, 11:24
In many respects a BSchool is like a woman. Show them you are interested, worth-while and that you researched them well and you will in good shape. You can contact students on the club listed in Fuqua.

rscricket wrote:
seeing all you guys get into Duke makes me feel want to apply there too...not saying it is easy...don't know why i dodn't consider duke upto now! refurb, spidey anyone...if you know some kind folks at duke ready to give me some inside info to help me with my school-specific essay app, please PM me.

also if such info can be shared by u, let me know. (more and more i am feeling this should be on a duke forum)

also is duke older app friendly? i am 34(!)...i know i repeat myself...but late applicant thought repeats itself everyday day at least a million times in my head :)

without a visit, is there a chance in R2?
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Michigan (Ross) Fall 2009 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 25 Dec 2008, 13:37
spideyeclipse27 wrote:
In many respects a BSchool is like a woman. Show them you are interested, worth-while and that you researched them well and you will in good shape. You can contact students on the club listed in Fuqua.

rscricket wrote:
seeing all you guys get into Duke makes me feel want to apply there too...not saying it is easy...don't know why i dodn't consider duke upto now! refurb, spidey anyone...if you know some kind folks at duke ready to give me some inside info to help me with my school-specific essay app, please PM me.

also if such info can be shared by u, let me know. (more and more i am feeling this should be on a duke forum)

also is duke older app friendly? i am 34(!)...i know i repeat myself...but late applicant thought repeats itself everyday day at least a million times in my head :)

Good analogy... except for the research part. Research a woman too much and she'll tell all her friends you're creepy. Research a woman really well and then you have a restraining order to deal with.
Current Student
Schools: Cornell, Duke, Kellogg, Ross
WE 1: 5

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 1

Re: Calling all Michigan (Ross) Fall 2009 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 25 Dec 2008, 22:17
haha..true. I meant you should know what she is good at and appreciate her for that :)

flood wrote:
spideyeclipse27 wrote:

rscricket wrote:

Good analogy... except for the research part. Research a woman too much and she'll tell all her friends you're creepy. Research a woman really well and then you have a restraining order to deal with.
Current Student
Schools: Fuqua '11
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Duke (Fuqua) Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 26 Dec 2008, 03:39
Random Q, so the AdCom I interviewed with sent me a follow up email after my acceptance to congratulate me and also talking about how I would really enjoy the school. I feel I owe some type of response, but hey I won't lie I definitely want to see what is up with my other applications and so forth before making a decision (like any rational thinker, right?). Any suggestions as to how I can write something that is respectful but not misleading (aka it was great to meet with you as well, cant wait to start!)
SVP
SVP
Schools: Kellogg '11
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 178 [0], given: 31

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Duke (Fuqua) Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 26 Dec 2008, 08:09
bostonsparky wrote:
Random Q, so the AdCom I interviewed with sent me a follow up email after my acceptance to congratulate me and also talking about how I would really enjoy the school. I feel I owe some type of response, but hey I won't lie I definitely want to see what is up with my other applications and so forth before making a decision (like any rational thinker, right?). Any suggestions as to how I can write something that is respectful but not misleading (aka it was great to meet with you as well, cant wait to start!)

Do you want to tell them you have other options? If so, a nicer version of..."thanks much. I'm pretty excited to have gotten in. Team Fuqua (or whatever trait they mentioned) is definitely a huge bonus of Duke and one I'll incorporate into my decision process. Have a great holiday, xo, bostonsparky."
Current Student
Schools: Chicago Booth '11
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Duke (Fuqua) Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 26 Dec 2008, 09:55
bostonsparky wrote:

I replied to my alum interviewer's congratulatory email with a message about how excited I was and that I'm already making plans to attend Blue Devil Weekend in April. So if you are planning on going to the BDW, then such a response would be honest (and noncommittal).
VP
VP
Schools: Tuck
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 117 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Duke (Fuqua) Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 27 Dec 2008, 17:52
ac8706 wrote:
Have a great holiday, xo, bostonsparky."

I think he should probably drop the "xo" part!! :wink:

RF

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 76 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Duke (Fuqua) Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 28 Dec 2008, 06:51
A question for those already admitted. I did my duke interview before I start writing my essays. Now that when I am writing those essays, I realize that I did kinda of poorly during the interview. I want to change some of the answers. I understand that the interview is more of checking the consistency. But can I still change my answers in the essay to improve that? For example, when they asked me about contribution in the interview, I only answered one. But now that I realize I have a lot more I can contribute and the one I answered in the interview is kind of weak answer. Can I write my essay on other contributions I plan to bring?
Manager
Manager
Schools: Columbia, Haas, IESE, Yale, Fuqua, Darden, NYU, Georgetown

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Duke (Fuqua) Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 28 Dec 2008, 08:15
working on my essays now finding the LOC essay to be difficult. Any other debreifs on the interview?
SP
VP
VP
Schools: Tuck
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 117 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Duke (Fuqua) Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 28 Dec 2008, 08:59
eileen1017 wrote:
A question for those already admitted. I did my duke interview before I start writing my essays. Now that when I am writing those essays, I realize that I did kinda of poorly during the interview. I want to change some of the answers. I understand that the interview is more of checking the consistency. But can I still change my answers in the essay to improve that? For example, when they asked me about contribution in the interview, I only answered one. But now that I realize I have a lot more I can contribute and the one I answered in the interview is kind of weak answer. Can I write my essay on other contributions I plan to bring?

Of course! The interview is not an all-encompassing summary of you as a candidate. The smartest thing to do would be to not repeat what you said in your interview, in your essays. That way, you can include stuff you didn't have room to include in your essays.

The only thing I would be worried about is contradicting yourself in your essays. You don't want to say "One contribution will be my knowledge of the semi-conductor market" during your interview, then state in your essays "I hope to strengthen one of my weaknesses: my knowledge of the semi-conductor market."

RF

SVP
SVP
Schools: Kellogg '11
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 178 [0], given: 31

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Duke (Fuqua) Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 28 Dec 2008, 12:39
refurb wrote:
ac8706 wrote:
Have a great holiday, xo, bostonsparky."

I think he should probably drop the "xo" part!! :wink:

RF

LOL. That would be pretty funny if he actually wrote that though... :lol:
Current Student
Schools: Duke, Michigan, Yale, Georgetown, Kellogg, Wharton

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Duke (Fuqua) Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 28 Dec 2008, 19:49
Any Round 1 admits hear back about merit scholarships?

I'm a fellow admit anxiously awaiting my admissions package.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Duke (Fuqua) Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 29 Dec 2008, 06:44
Yep. There was a letter in the admit package I got in the mail with a merit scholarship offer. I sorta get the impression that they spread around a lot of merit money... is that right?
Director
Director
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Duke (Fuqua) Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 29 Dec 2008, 07:18
Ntang wrote:
Yep. There was a letter in the admit package I got in the mail with a merit scholarship offer. I sorta get the impression that they spread around a lot of merit money... is that right?

When did you get your package? I have not yet received mine....

Did they send you a tracking number or anything?
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Duke (Fuqua) Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 29 Dec 2008, 07:24
No, no notice at all. But keep in mind I live about 10 minutes away from the Duke campus, which is probably why I got my package so quickly.

Also, FYI, Blue Devil Weekend ends just a few days before you have to decide to accept/decline the scholarship and/or admit offer.
Concentration: Marketing, Other
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GMAT 2: 660 Q V
GPA: 3.64
WE: Accounting (Accounting)

Kudos [?]: 66 [0], given: 77132

CAT Tests
Re: Calling all Duke (Fuqua) Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 29 Dec 2008, 07:30
I received mine as well, on the 23rd?
Received a merit scholarship, nothing spectacular though :)
SVP
SVP
Schools: Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
WE 1: IB - Restructuring & Distressed M&A
Followers: 72

Kudos [?]: 688 [0], given: 548

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: Calling all Duke (Fuqua) Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 29 Dec 2008, 07:35
jlola21 wrote:

You are gonna have to post "JLola21's Guide to Getting Admits and Scholarship $ friom Every Single School Applied" soon........it will become a sticky, I am sure. :-D

Current Student
Schools: Duke, Michigan, Yale, Georgetown, Kellogg, Wharton

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Duke (Fuqua) Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 29 Dec 2008, 07:50
Just got mine this morning. 8k/ yr. Like Ntang mentioned, it definitely seems like they try to spread the wealth around.

I had another question/thought for everyone out there about scholarships. Does Duke revisit award amounts later in the process. A lot of the people getting money there also have admits to higher ranked schools (Tuck, Kellogg, Booth, etc). Given Duke's relatively low historical yield it certainly seems possible that a number of these folks will opt to forgo the scholarship at Duke to attend the higher ranked program. In that case, do you think Duke ends up redistributing the dollars?

I was just curious to see if anyone had any insight into the process.
Director
Director
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Duke (Fuqua) Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 29 Dec 2008, 07:56
blake5790 wrote:
Given Duke's relatively low historical yield it certainly seems possible that a number of these folks will opt to forgo the scholarship at Duke to attend the higher ranked program. In that case, do you think Duke ends up redistributing the dollars?

I don't know for sure, but I would guess in distributing money, they distribute more than they plan to fulfill because they know that many students will decline the offer for a higher ranked school. Just like the admissions process, if the class is 500 people, they admit 1,000 with the knowledge that 500 will go elsewhere.

Nothing to back that up, just how I think it makes the most sense.

~Sam
Concentration: Marketing, Other
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GMAT 2: 660 Q V
GPA: 3.64
WE: Accounting (Accounting)

Kudos [?]: 66 [0], given: 77132

CAT Tests
Re: Calling all Duke (Fuqua) Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 29 Dec 2008, 08:00
ninkorn wrote:
jlola21 wrote:

You are gonna have to post "JLola21's Guide to Getting Admits and Scholarship $ friom Every Single School Applied" soon........it will become a sticky, I am sure. :-D

Hah yea right! I am foreseeing a stream of dings coming my way.
Re: Calling all Duke (Fuqua) Fall 2009 applicants!   [#permalink] 29 Dec 2008, 08:00