Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 02 Sep 2014, 13:18

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling all Duke (Fuqua) Fall 2009 applicants!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Current Student
Schools: Ross '12 (MBA/MS)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 69 [0], given: 34

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Duke (Fuqua) Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 16 Jan 2009, 17:58
Ntang wrote:
I heard from a good friend currently at Fuqua that the internship search this year is a barren wasteland. John Deere, a huge destination previously for Fuqua interns, canceled all their intern interviews, which was pretty unprecedented. Everyone's scrambling to find something for this summer. Anyone wanna comment?

That seems pretty consistent with what I was hearing during my visit in early-December. I haven't the slightest clue if that is also the case at other schools, so I wasn't sure what to think. Either way, it can't be a good thing.

So, what happens if you don't get an internship? Does that even happen?
VP
VP
Schools: Kellogg Class of 2011
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 237 [0], given: 17

Re: Calling all Duke (Fuqua) Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 18 Jan 2009, 05:00
I wouldn't get too worried about recruiting next year just yet. Sure, recruiting may be down this year, but for people applying for entry in fall 2009, we won't start recruiting for at least another 9 months. A lot can happen between now and then.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

SVP
SVP
Schools: The Duke MBA, Class of 2009
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 178 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Duke (Fuqua) Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 19 Jan 2009, 09:01
NJMike wrote:
I wouldn't get too worried about recruiting next year just yet. Sure, recruiting may be down this year, but for people applying for entry in fall 2009, we won't start recruiting for at least another 9 months. A lot can happen between now and then.

There's also not a whole lot you can do about it at this point, other than the usual "career preparedness" stuff.

Guys, not to be a total booster, but I'd throw out there that it's hard to say just what this all looks like right now. Things are changing quickly, and it's hard to say how it will shake out. Outside of banking, we haven't lost too many recruiters, and other than JD, the recruiters we've lost would only take on a couple students per year. I definitely think it's a good thing that Duke has relationships with such a wide variety of industries and companies. It helps us absorb the hits, which are mostly concentrated in banking.
Intern
Intern
Schools: HBS, Kellogg (i/v ed), Tuck(Ding), Duke (admitted), Ross
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Duke (Fuqua) Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 19 Jan 2009, 09:21
aaudetat wrote:
NJMike wrote:

I definitely think it's a good thing that Duke has relationships with such a wide variety of industries and companies. It helps us absorb the hits, which are mostly concentrated in banking.

aaudetat,
Really a booster. right now so many of Duke admits are worried about many things and jobs being one of them. Another issue that concerns a lot of international so much so that they have also formed a facebook group of Duke MBA admits who need co-signors!!. The issue is we are not hearing any thing from Duke or for that matter from any of University. Do you have any insight into what Duke is doing on this issue? May be that some of daredevils will manage first year's funds but then they will exhaust all their loan taking options and will not have any funding option for their second year. any idea about what duke or other institutes are doing and any solution in near future?
thanx.
SVP
SVP

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Duke (Fuqua) Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 19 Jan 2009, 09:52
mbaleader wrote:
aaudetat wrote:
NJMike wrote:

I definitely think it's a good thing that Duke has relationships with such a wide variety of industries and companies. It helps us absorb the hits, which are mostly concentrated in banking.

aaudetat,
Really a booster. right now so many of Duke admits are worried about many things and jobs being one of them. Another issue that concerns a lot of international so much so that they have also formed a facebook group of Duke MBA admits who need co-signors!!. The issue is we are not hearing any thing from Duke or for that matter from any of University. Do you have any insight into what Duke is doing on this issue? May be that some of daredevils will manage first year's funds but then they will exhaust all their loan taking options and will not have any funding option for their second year. any idea about what duke or other institutes are doing and any solution in near future?
thanx.

Yes, everyone should be worried about jobs. But it's just too soon to know how it will shake out: first round interviews only began a couple weeks ago.

As for the int'l loans: ugh! What an issue.

For early admit, the official word is that while the deposits were due, if funding was not secured by X date (don't remember exactly when), students could get a refund or an automatic deferral. In the meantime, ALL of Fuqua (all the deans, etc) are working on other options. The reality is that int'l MBA loans are freakin' risky, and probably more so in this economy. So some sort of risk management is required. One option is to have Duke itself guarantee the loan, or some other bank. Anyway, all of the schools are dealing with it. BTW - let me know what you all are hearing from other schools.

thanks
aau
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

Re: Calling all Duke (Fuqua) Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 20 Jan 2009, 08:23
Has any R2 applicant heard from Duke?
My app status shows - Submission Status: Submitted

Has any of your app status changed?
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Duke (Fuqua) Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 20 Jan 2009, 08:39
People I want your opinion.

I have been waitlisted in Duke. I am attending an info session conducted the by the Dean of MBA program. Any Clue how to leverage the opportunity to strengthen my candidature ?
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Duke (Fuqua) Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 20 Jan 2009, 08:42
I am an international R-2 applicant
I was interviewed yesterday and I know of few other people here (Israel) who got the invitation.
Manager
Manager

Re: Calling all Duke (Fuqua) Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 20 Jan 2009, 08:45
@rash733 - When did you submit the app?

I did it on Jan 7 2009 and haven't heard anything from them.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Duke (Fuqua) Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 20 Jan 2009, 10:06
Anyone going to Durham for an interview this weekend?

I submitted my app Round 2 and will be flying in (and out) on Saturday.
SVP
SVP
Schools: Kellogg '11
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 176 [0], given: 31

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Duke (Fuqua) Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 20 Jan 2009, 11:59
MBAAspirant2008 wrote:

I have been waitlisted in Duke. I am attending an info session conducted the by the Dean of MBA program. Any Clue how to leverage the opportunity to strengthen my candidature ?

Maybe ask them if they have any tips for waitlisted candidates?

Also, did you get any emails from them w/ instructions for the waitlist? Those might contain some insight.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Duke (Fuqua) Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 20 Jan 2009, 12:05
isa wrote:
MBAAspirant2008 wrote:

Maybe ask them if they have any tips for waitlisted candidates?

Also, did you get any emails from them w/ instructions for the waitlist? Those might contain some insight.

Thanks..but the waitlist instructions did not contain such tip !!
Director
Director
Schools: Cornell '11
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 132 [0], given: 29

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Duke (Fuqua) Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 20 Jan 2009, 12:13
To begin, I am on the waitlist as well. IMHO, I would do only what they suggest in the waitlist FAQ that we received. When you are on the waitlist you have to walk a very fine line that can teeter between helping and hurting. If you "bug" them too much, or act desparate, it can hurt your chances. I am not sure what you would be able to do in an info session that could help your chances. 1) The Dean most likely will not remember you 2) They will probably just refer you to the FAQ if you bring up the waitlist.

The best way to leverage the info session is to leave a trail that you attended. Dont just show up. Sign up. If you send in an update letter as the FAQ suggests, maybe mention the info session in a passage about "fit". My two cents :-D

MBAAspirant2008 wrote:

"George is getting upset!"

SVP
SVP
Schools: Kellogg '11
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 176 [0], given: 31

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Duke (Fuqua) Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 20 Jan 2009, 12:19
Raabend wrote:
To begin, I am on the waitlist as well. IMHO, I would do only what they suggest in the waitlist FAQ that we received. When you are on the waitlist you have to walk a very fine line that can teeter between helping and hurting. If you "bug" them too much, or act desparate, it can hurt your chances. I am not sure what you would be able to do in an info session that could help your chances. 1) The Dean most likely will not remember you 2) They will probably just refer you to the FAQ if you bring up the waitlist.

The best way to leverage the info session is to leave a trail that you attended. Dont just show up. Sign up. If you send in an update letter as the FAQ suggests, maybe mention the info session in a passage about "fit". My two cents :-D

MBAAspirant2008 wrote:

That's a great point Raabend - from everything I've read about waitlists (at all schools, not just Duke), they really emphasize following the directions given by the school.
SVP
SVP

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Duke (Fuqua) Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 20 Jan 2009, 12:28
could you guys summarize the instructions duke gave you? i'm curious as to the official policy.

As for the info session, I agree: sign up and mention it a letter. I also think it's ok to talk with the admissions folks if you have the opportunity. Don't storm the person, don't monopolize the conversation, etc. But if you catch him/her afterward, ask an intelligent question, and if appropriate, follow up with something like, "the info you presented today has definitely increased my interest in Duke and I really hope to be admitted from your waitlist."
2 KUDOS received
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 132 [2] , given: 29

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Duke (Fuqua) Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 20 Jan 2009, 13:03
This post received
KUDOS
Waitlist Q & A
This correspondence is intended to provide you with answers to frequently asked questions regarding our waitlist process. It is our hope that this will alleviate concerns or questions you have regarding your waitlist status.

Q: How many people are on the waitlist?
We are unable to disclose an exact number of people who are waitlisted. Candidates on the waitlist may be admitted or may choose to remove their name from the waitlist at any point in the process. Therefore, the actual number of candidates on the waitlist can vary from day to day. Please be advised that the Admissions Committee has made a conscious decision to limit the number of applicants extended a place on the waitlist.

Q: Can I retake the GMAT?
Yes. We will accept new scores from an applicant who has elected to remain active on the waitlist. Deciding to retake the GMAT is a personal decision. If you feel that you did not test at your highest potential, it might be in your best interest to retake the test. In deciding to retest, applicants have found it helpful to compare themselves to the 80% range (630-750), you may want to consider sitting for the GMAT again and submitting your new score. Should you elect to take the GMAT again, please notify our office so we may look for your new score.

Q: Is the waitlist ranked and if so what number am I on the waitlist?
No. The waitlist is not ranked. However, it is imperative that you inform the Committee of your intentions to remain active on the waitlist. Only those applicants who have elected to remain active on the waitlist will be considered for admission.

Q: When will the Admissions Committee review waitlisted candidates?
The Admissions Committee may review applications of candidates on the waitlist at any point of time during the application process. You will be informed immediately if/when a new decision has been made on your application. As such, please be sure to keep us informed of any changes in your contact information.

Q: When is the latest I would be admitted from the waitlist?
In the past, we have admitted students from the waitlist as late as the start of Orientation in August.

Q: I was waitlisted for an interview. What should I do?
The Office of Admissions will contact you via e-mail to coordinate a telephone or alumni interview. No action is needed on your part until you receive the e-mail. Please be assured that the interview will be scheduled to allow enough time for the Admissions Committee to consider the interview when the waitlist is next reviewed.

Q: I was not waitlisted specifically for an interview. May I schedule an interview?
If you have not interviewed, you are welcome to schedule a campus visit and interview. Out of fairness to all applicants and due to limited space availability, only one interview may be conducted for an applicant per admission cycle. We are unable to grant requests for a second interview. This includes both alumni interviews and campus interviews.

Q: May I submit additional information for the Admissions Committee to consider?
Yes. During the coming months you may submit additional information that you feel will be helpful to the Committee in consideration of your file. Brevity and relevance are important when determining what to submit to the Admissions Committee. It is not necessary to duplicate information already covered in your application. All information must be submitted via e-mail to ensure that it will be placed in your file. Examples may include:

*Information on recent professional or community accomplishments
*an additional recommendation
*scanned official transcripts for recently completed coursework
*a copy of a new test score (note: official score must also come from ETS)
*any changes in contact information (mailing address, phone number, e-mail address)

Q: How should I submit additional information?We prefer that any updates to your file be submitted to our e-mail account specifically designated for applicants on the waitlist. This account is checked regularly and you will receive verification of your emal receipt within 5-7 business days. Should you prefer to send an update via post mail and you wish to have verification of the receipt of your mailing, please use a carrier that provides a delivery confirmation.

Q: To whom should I submit additional information?
All updates sent via e-mail should be submitted to: mbawaitlist@fuqua.duke.edu. Please note that this account is for the receipt of application updates only. We respectfully request that you direct any inquiries regarding your status on the waitlist to our office via telephone, (919) 660-7705. Your cooperation is greatly appreciated.

All post mail correspondence updating your application file should be sent to the attention of:

Attention: Waitlist Coordinator
The Duke MBA
Office of Admissions
The Fuqua School of Business
Duke University
1 Towerview Drive
Durham, NC 27708-0104

Q: I have a question that has not been addressed in the Waitlist Q&A. What should I do?

Should you have an inquiry regarding the waitlist process, please feel free to contact our office via telephone and ask to speak with an Admissions Officer. You may reach us during business hours, Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m.- 5:00 p.m., EST. We would be happy to speak with you and address any questions or concerns you have regarding your application status.

Manager
Manager

Re: Calling all Duke (Fuqua) Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 21 Jan 2009, 08:22
Has any R2 international applicant heard from Duke?

I am an applicant from India. My app status shows - Submission Status: Submitted

1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: Fuqua '11
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 36 [1] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Duke (Fuqua) Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 21 Jan 2009, 08:34
This post received
KUDOS
woncosmo wrote:
Has any R2 international applicant heard from Duke?

I am an applicant from India. My app status shows - Submission Status: Submitted

It took a while for the R1 international applicants to hear from Admissions, FYI.
Current Student
Schools: Fuqua Class of 2011

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Duke (Fuqua) Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 21 Jan 2009, 08:38
Raabend wrote:

MBAAspirant2008 wrote:

I am waitlisted as well, just wanted to get your input on submitting additional information. I've submitted two additional recs, along with a letter the day after I was waitlisted detailing some updates and my intention to attend if admitted.

They instructions say keep any updates relevant and brief, so what do you think about additional stuff to submit? I mean a 1/2-1 page essay on fit is brief, but is it relevant? I'm trying to stay in front of them, but I don't want to be annoying and submit crap so they get pissed.

What have you all submitted since you were waitlisted, and what are your plans?
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 132 [0], given: 29

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Duke (Fuqua) Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 21 Jan 2009, 08:48
My volunteer director submitted a single additional rec letter about one week after I was waitlisted. She was able to give a non-professional assessment of my leadership. In addition, last week, I submitted a 1 1/2 page update letter detailing changes in my professional role, raise, and performance bonus.

I would not submit anything unless I was sure it shed light on something not in my earlier application package.

2 recs may be a tad overbaord because the FAQ specifies one additional rec. Since you submitted 3 things already, I am not sure what else there could be to add without going overboard. It might have been a better idea to add a "fit" paragraph in the earlier letter.....

thesadmachine wrote:
I am waitlisted as well, just wanted to get your input on submitting additional information. I've submitted two additional recs, along with a letter the day after I was waitlisted detailing some updates and my intention to attend if admitted.

They instructions say keep any updates relevant and brief, so what do you think about additional stuff to submit? I mean a 1/2-1 page essay on fit is brief, but is it relevant? I'm trying to stay in front of them, but I don't want to be annoying and submit crap so they get pissed.

What have you all submitted since you were waitlisted, and what are your plans?

Re: Calling all Duke (Fuqua) Fall 2009 applicants!   [#permalink] 21 Jan 2009, 08:48