Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Jul 2014, 05:42

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling all Duke (Fuqua) Fall 2009 applicants!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
SVP
SVP
Schools: Kellogg '11
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 176 [0], given: 31

GMAT Tests User
Calling all Duke (Fuqua) Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 10 Jul 2008, 19:05
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Good luck everyone! :lol:

Edited to add:
Here's the link to the 2008 thread: http://gmatclub.com/forum/103-t50217?hilit=duke+2008

Application Statistics

THE EARLY ACTION TEAM (3)
-----------------------------------
aakashganga | Dinged
devansh_god | Dinged
nadtrans (aka Traffix) - accepted

THE ROUND 1 TEAM
Submitted: 26
Accepted: 14 (53.8%)
Matriculating: 2
Waitlist: 3
Dinged: 7
* = First post in thread
-----------------------------------
prospect - matriculating
thesadmachine - waitlisted | accepted | matriculating
bostonsparky - accepted
CPGMBA - accepted (Withdrawn for HBS)
goldfishee27 - accepted (Withdrawn for Wharton)
IHateTheGMAT - accepted (Withdrawn for Tuck)
irishspring - accepted (Withdrawn for Cornell)
isa - accepted (Withdrawn for Kellogg)
olive - accepted (Withdrawn for Booth)
ntang - accepted
mbaleader | accepted*
Jerz | accepted* (Withdrawn for Kellogg)
refurb - accepted (Withdrawn for Tuck)
sam77sam7 - accepted
yaazol | accepted*
raabenb - waitlisted (Withdrawn for Cornell)
zmfatla - waitlisted (Withdrawn for Ross)
chaospersonified - Dinged*
Fall09 - Dinged w/ interview
flood - Dinged*
LeftOut - Dinged w/ interview
ozzie123 - Dinged*
rgajare14 - Dinged w/ interview
ryguy904 - Dinged w/ interview
deepakp - submitted 10/27
ZHL226 - submitted 10/26 | interview 11/10

Round 2
Total Applicants: 16
Admits: 7
Waitlist: 3
Dings:
Unknown: 6

shayne - admitted
smokedpotatoes - admitted (Withdrawn for Yale)
BearStearner - admitted (Withdrawn for Cornell)
atlantic - admitted (Withdrawn for Ross)
energystar - admitted
BklynMatt - admitted
YihWei - admitted (Withdrawn for Ross)
mindgame - WL
Minimal81 - WL
csboard23
eileen1017
indianghetto
intrinsicreality
Omne
rash733
TheFreedomAngel - Dinged
Attachments

duke1.jpg
duke1.jpg [ 30.94 KiB | Viewed 13796 times ]

Last edited by ryguy904 on 30 Apr 2009, 08:31, edited 25 times in total.
Updated R2 information
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
9 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: CBS, Cornell, Duke, Ross, Darden
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 184 [9] , given: 4

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Duke (Fuqua) Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 07 Nov 2008, 10:57
This post received
KUDOS
Wanted to give a recap on my 2 1/2 visit to Durham for my interview.

North Carolina - Beautiful state (this was my first time visiting). So many trees, I felt like I was in the woods! Living in SoCal my whole life, I've never experienced the season change with the leaves turning and all of that good stuff. Such a beautiful time to be there. When I arrived on Sunday it was ~70 degrees and there were even students out on the grass in bathing suits! It did rain pretty good on Tuesday morning when I left, though.

Durham - Not quite what I was expecting. When I got off the freeway (or highway or whatever they call them in NC), I needed to drive about 2 miles on one of the main streets to where I was staying. I was surprised at the “run down” look of the city. There were a lot of buildings that were old and tired and I could not tell if they were just old, or the remnants of former businesses that were no longer operating. Again, not what I was expecting. I later did a city tour with my friend and got to experience some of the shopping, nightlife, etc. that Durham has to offer. Slightly improved my perception of the city of Durham, but clearly a stark contrast to Los Angeles or any of Southern California (OC, SD, etc.) for that matter. Traffic was non-existent, something I certainly appreciated, having had to drive almost an hour and a half to go 25 miles to attend the Darden reception in Beverly Hills this week.

Duke University – Amazing campus. Having gone to a state school in California, I'm not used to the funding that private universities have and how that translates into to quality and size of the facilities. Gothic style buildings were amazing - as I understand the founder of the school modeled the campus after Princeton. Enormous sprawled out campus (similar to UCLA in that particular regard). I got to check out Cameron Indoor, the student center, Football Stadium, the campout site, and the huge chapel, and of the umpteen gyms, among other things. The exterior of the buildings was a throwback to mid 1800’s and simply stunning. The inside however, including Fuqua (discussed in more detail below) was up-to-date, with the most modern, cutting edge technology and aesthetic appointments.

Fuqua Experience - The building is awesome. It’s huge! Everything is within the building: classrooms, team rooms, library, cafeteria, large guest speaker auditorium, etc.) The building is very functional and practical. I can totally understand how people say that they don’t leave the building at all until 7-8 pm. Classrooms are very modern with first-rate recording technology. No laptop policy, by the way (which I like!). The library is very cool. Lots of places to study. Very practical books (job search, resume, industry stuff, etc). The team rooms are very cool. They probably have 40-50 of these (maybe more, I dunno) and there is a monitor in the center of the building that lets you know if rooms are free or occupied so you don’t have to search all over the building to find an empty room. Each of the study rooms has a huge wide screen monitor (maybe 27” or 32”) so students can all see the same file/presentation without peering over somebody’s laptop. The students were pretty down to earth and friendly. Even amongst ethnic groups that can be traditionally very rigid (read: no sense of humor or ability to discuss anything outside of school/business), I thought that students were social, engaging, and had great senses of humor.

Business School Women – OK, this topic is usually talked about in jest on this board, but I feel committed to comment on this. Before I do so, I must preface this by saying that I live in Los Angeles and my standards of attractive (or hot, or fill in the blank with your preferred adjective) are VERY high. An “LA 10” is different from a "10" in an other city in this country (IHateTheGMAT and Terp06 will back me up on this) with maybe an exception or two (Miami comes to mind). So I will comment on the Fuqua women, based on my LA scale.

I hereby name the women of the Fuqua Business School as The Fuqua Foxes. Again, keep in mind, the women won’t be able to compete with women in Brentwood, Santa Monica, and Westwood, but seriously, I’d say that there were “7’s” EVERYWHERE :shock: (again, a "7" is a great score on LA standards)! In comparison of the six (top 15 schools) that I’ve been to, the Dukies by far stole the cake. So for those guys that consider this as a factor in their decision-making process for school selection, keep Duke in the running.

Interview (Overall) - my interview was with a 2Y student. For better or for worse, it was not very conversational, as others on this board have indicated with their experiences. It was definitely scripted and my interviewer essentially went from one question to the next. No follow up on any of my answers, which was surprising for 2 reasons - 1) He didn’t have a finance background and I’m sure a lot of what I discussed went over his head (despite my diligent effort to put things in layman terms) and 2) I have pretty interesting work experience and work for a company that has been in the news A LOT over the past 12+ months. So not to get any questions was disappointing (I even told him to please feel free to ask questions, and that I am not shy or embarrassed about the situation). Given his background, he may not have known about my company as it is...Finally, he didn’t know what the CFA was. Shame on Duke! I know the school “trains” its interviewers and to not cover some basic fundamentals with the interviewers is highly disappointing. The fact aside that the CFA designation is difficult to achieve, a lot of my volunteer work is mentoring CFA candidates, so his lack of understanding dampens the value and significance of my extracurriculars that I shared with him. When I spoke to some students later that asked me how my interview went and when I mentioned this fact, they were embarrassed that this happened and shocked that someone (even in a non-finance career path) would not know about this, especially somebody conducting interviews. Enough on that, though. Since so many people are asking about this, about 75% of people in the admissions lobby were wearing suits. I choose business casual and am glad that I did. Personally. I thought suits were way too stuffy for the environment, regardless of how good it may make me look ;) Just my take on the matter, though.

Interview Questions
Walk me through your resume
ST/LT goals
Why MBA
Why now
Why Duke
Leadership Experience
Team Experience
Why should Duke accept me
40 minutes – done!

Class Visit – I sat in on a Strategy core class. I’m not going to go into specifics, because people’s experiences vary greatly when it comes to class visits. Overall, I thought it was pretty cool.

Private Equity Club Meeting - I attended the Private Equity student club meeting, which was awesome! The club is only two years old, but was able to pull a heavy hitter middle-market i-bank. An MD and a ’08 Fuqua grad showed up to give a very brief intro on the company and then went into discussing the role of private equity firms (their main clients), the current status of the industry, and a typical example of an LBO. The meeting was scheduled to go for an hour, but the MD was enjoying the presentation and the questions and it ended up lasting for over 90 minutes and he stuck around at least another 45 minutes to answer questions. From talking to the president of the private equity club, he said that the company would be hiring Fuqua students for internships (and possibly full-time positions based on the internships). Overall, I was highly impressed by the club’s ability to bring in this big-gun from a solid i-bank and the fact that the firm wants to (for lack of a better word) hire Fuqua students.

I-Bank Recruiting - Recruiting is alive and well at Duke. The big banks (or whoever is left) have all been coming to campus as well. Also, about 40+ students just did the week on Wall St trek and had successful results. There is an expectation, though that students will follow up with additional visits to NY (only $135 round trip from Raleigh and a quick flight, according to my friend) for “informational” interviews. The formal recruiting has not started, but these early interactions are essential to making the closed list when things kick into high gear in January. It’s hard to tell how many spots will be available at these banks, but all of the big names (and even the traditional 2nd/3rd tier, which has become the 1st/2nd tier, I suppose) are highly interested in recruiting Dukies. JPMorgan (Jamie Dimon has 2 kids at Duke undergrad right now, I believe and also recently came down to give a standing room only presentation at Fuqua) sent (what my friend referred to as “an army”) 30+ people to the information session alone. Same with Bank of America. Among others, Goldman Sachs was also on campus and did some off campus schmoozing when their presentation was over.

If you have further questions, I can try and answer them. I wanted to provide a brief overview of my thoughts on some of the highlights from my trip. Overall, I had a truly great experience and could definitely see myself there for two years.
4 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 176 [4] , given: 31

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Duke (Fuqua) Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 07 Dec 2008, 12:12
This post received
KUDOS
Hi folks! Just got done with the women's weekend - the session was well-run, I had a great time. Thought I'd share my notes from sessions and chatting with current students. Some of this is relatively common knowledge about the school but I hope it helps anyway..

Misc obeservations:
- Current students at Fuqua are all super nice and helpful, answered all my questions (even the blunt annoying ones like "so why did you really choose Fuqua over Kellogg?" and "if you got in here and at school x, where would you go? why?")
- Durham is really...less than exciting. It seems that students really bond about the fact that they are in Durham. (several said, "it's like tuck and hanover...only duke and durham")
- Everything really is student run - from Fuqua Friday to the whole weekend, it was all organized by the students. Was really well done!

Admissions/Financial Aid
- Every app is read at least twice, by staff/students/contract essay readers (mostly alums)

- Biggest Pitfalls the AdCom sees on essays:
1) make sure you answer the essay question being asked
2) Make sure your answer is tailored to Duke - don't copy/paste from other schools
3) Be cautious with humor - sometimes the meaning doesn't come across well, just ends up being awkward
4) Make sure you demonstrate passion (for the school, your job, etc)

- Qualities they look for in your app:
1) Do you think differently?
2) Do you value culture? will you be a good fit?
3) How will you give back and impact your school, classmates?

- They expect this year to be as competitive or slightly more than last year. Despite the slight increase in apps, they don't plan to increase the class size
- Leaders of Consequence essay (many people asked about this): Adcom said they were looking to understand how you will shape the world. Broadly speaking, outside work, what impact will you have on the world?

HSM
- If you are applying for HSM, the HSM office does review your app prior to admission.
- Fuqua is looking to increase classes on the payor side, increase integration w/ law and policy schools through classes
- if you want to do anything in the healthcare space and don't have HSM, recruiters will ask you why you didn't do the HSM concentration
- they are looking to start a HSM GATE trip for next year to Africa
- About 20% of students are in HSM; the program enrollment is not capped though.

Entrepeneurship at Fuqua
- Huge push to get Fuqua known for Entrepeneurship - they want people to say "Oh Entrep Schools? Like MIT, Haas, Stanford and Duke?"
- There's a Program for Entrepeneurs that gives you course credit for starting a company; it's invitation only, based on interest expressed in your application. This year, they had 6 people doing it, for next year, they're thinking 8 people. Howie Rhee (program director) reviews apps for potential candidates.
- Geographically, they find that VCs in the RTP area are really welcoming to Duke students. Harder to get to the ones in Cali, have to fly there a lot on your own (that's the case in most schools apparently).
- Fuqua is increasing the courses that are offered in Entrepeneurship.
- Support for Entrep includes: Startup Matchmaker Blog, Startup Support Group, Duke Startup Challenge, EVCC Club, Entrepeneurship week, Duke Global Entrep Network, Week in Cities

Career Stuff:
- "Duke loves Duke" - apparently, Duke grads (not just Fuqua, all Duke) really like hiring Fuqua students
- This is the first year that a non-profit (Education Pioneers) was listed as one of the top employers of Fuqua grads. Hoping this means that Net Impact will increase membership, etc.
- For GM, John Deer loves hiring Duke kids. lots of alums work there, really have strong hiring presence.
- For Consulting, Deloitte has a huge Duke network. Lots of alums work there too, really hire lots of Fuqua grads.
3 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: Ross '12 (MBA/MS)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 64 [3] , given: 34

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Duke (Fuqua) Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 22 Dec 2008, 02:04
This post received
KUDOS
Now that all the R1 excitement has died down a bit (congrats to all you admits, btw!), I thought I'd post my experiences visiting/interviewing at Fuqua.

I was on campus from 12/11-13. One of my college roommates, who is a FY (first year student) at Fuqua, advised me to visit that weekend because it was the last day of classes for term 2. Thinking back on my experiences, I don't think there could have been a better time for me to visit. I had a blast!

I touched down at RDU late Thursday (12/11) night and headed straight for Station 9, a popular graduate student only apartment/condominium complex about 2 miles away from Fuqua. It ended up being a 25-30 minute cab ride that cost about 42$ (including tip). Not bad at all.

Interview
The next morning, I headed to campus where I chatted with current students and other perspectives in the visitor's lounge as I waited for my tour and lunch to start. After the tour of Fuqua and a quick bite to eat, I had my interview with a current SY (second year student). Even though my interviewer stuck to a list of questions, the interview was very conversational and low-pressure. Here are some of the questions that I remember:

Why an MBA? Why Duke?
Resume walkthrough.
3 strengths.
3 weaknesses.
3 people you'd like you have on your team.
Leadership example.
What is your leadership style?
When do you decide to take a leadership role on a team?
What do you contribute to a team?
There's one spot left in this year's incoming class. Tell me why Duke should take you.

There were a few more questions, but I can't remember them off the top of my head. Nothing out of the ordinary and definitely no surprises. This was probably my best interview, and ironically, the interview that I prepared the least for.

Fuqua Friday
The tour was great and the interview went well but everything afterwards was what made my trip so enjoyable. Every Friday, Fuqua has a happy hour type event called Fuqua Friday. There are snacks and free beer available for people to just hang out, chat, and unwind after a busy week. It's hosted by a different organization or club and this week there was a brand challenge.

My friend and his partner organized a challenge called "Jell-O Shot", comparing Jell-O made with sugar with Jell-O made with sweetner. The objective of the game was to throw a ping pong ball the length of a table into a cup with a Jell-O shot in it. A made shot resulted in a point earned for your section. Regardless of miss or make, you would get to eat a Jell-O shot (non-alcoholic) and then guess whether it was sugar or sugar-free. A correct guess would also earn your section a point. Other tables compared products such as body spray and lipstick but I didn't get a chance to visit them since I was too busy tallying the points for Jell-O Shot, drinking beer, and stuffing my face with chicken fingers and cheese-infused tater tots. If any of you current Fuqua students happen to come by the table, I was the guy in the back wearing the blue zip-up fleece.

Fuqua Vision
Around 7, people started filing out of the Fox Center and toward the auditorium for Fuqua Vision, a SNL-type video comedy show. Throughout the term, students create videos that poke fun at business school related topics and especially their fellow classmates. The popularity of this event was amazing and the line to get into the auditorium filled the atrium. Inside wasn't much better as students lined the hallways and sat on the stairs just to catch the show, which lasted about an hour. This was a perfect example of how tight-knit the student body is at Fuqua.

Nightlife
Later that night we went to a house party, where about 20-30 FYs were hanging out and drinking. It was a really relaxed atmosphere and the perfect opportunity to chat with students about their experiences at Fuqua. Everyone was really friendly and very open to chatting with me and introducing me to their friends who also shared my goals and interests. I even ran into my tour guide there!

A few beers later we made our way to a local bar called Shooters. Nothing too special, just a few bars and a mechanical bull, but supposedly it's one of the more popular hangouts for Fuqua students (moreso by lack of options than by choice, haha). Inside, a man with a mullet wearing a t-shirt with the American flag on it ran up to me and yelled, "MY ancestors and YOUR ancestors can live in HARMONY. Wooooooooooo!!!!!" and proceeded to give me many hi-fives. I was caught off guard at first, but being the happy drunk that I am, I soon recripocated his excitement. Fun times.

Overall, I had a blast. I got my interview out of the way and I was able to experience Fuqua outside of the cookie-cutter tour/class/info session that people usually experience during a campus visit. My visit allowed me to really immerse myself in the culture of Fuqua and see how students interact with each other, not only in a school atmosphere but also in their personal lives. I feel like this is a place I can see myself spending the next 2-3 years of my life.

Round 2 here I come!
Attachments

File comment: Fuqua Foxes or local hotties? You decide...
Shooters.JPG
Shooters.JPG [ 79.28 KiB | Viewed 1921 times ]

File comment: Jell-O Shot!
Jell-O Shot.JPG
Jell-O Shot.JPG [ 72.22 KiB | Viewed 1911 times ]

3 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP
Schools: The Duke MBA, Class of 2009
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 178 [3] , given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Duke (Fuqua) Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 01 Jun 2009, 15:51
This post received
KUDOS
Haven't been around much, but just wanted to say congrats to those who have matriculated! Welcome to Durham - a bit early. And because I can't resist, here are some of my local favorites:

Car Repair: Ingold Tire, corner of Buchanan and Chapel Hill.
Great prices, and as honest as they come.
Salon: Caju Salon, Meadowmont Village just into Chapel Hill. Owned by a Fuqua alum.
My friends who know these things say it's the best salon in the Triangle. I like April.
Barber: Dennis Best Men's Salon, Main St.
Very affordable, does a great job on ndhlp's hair.
Dry Cleaning: Koretizing Cleaners, 2716 Hillsborough Rd
I LOVE them. Amazing, personal service. Use organic stuff that doesn't stink at ALL.
Dentist: Brent Blaylock, 3206 Chapel Hill Rd, 919-493-8036
Many Fuquans in my class found him. The quintessential southern dentist.
Cupcakes & Sandwiches: Parker and Otis, in Brightleaf.
A fabulous business! I did all my events at school with them.
Late-Night Cramming Session: Honey's, Guess Road, near I-85
Mediocre food (except the chicken salad) but cheap bad coffee! Open all night with free Wi-Fi
Off-Site Team Meeting: Broad Street Cafe, Broad St and Club Blvd
Coffee, great simple food, and booze, plus wi-fi. Everything you need to be productive.
Neighborhood Pub: Dain's Place, 9th St.
Durham's non-smoking joint. Tell Oz (looks a bit like a pirate) that I sent you.
Best Dinner: Watt's Grocery, next to Broad St Cafe
American eclectic with a strong southern influence - emphasis on local sourcing
Best Breakfast: Elmo's. 9th St.
The Chilaquilles make me weep, they're so good. The ultimate modern diner experience.
Animal Care: Chapel Hill Mobile Veterinary Housecalls, http://www.chapelhillvet.com
Sunita is great, and my cats are much calmer if they can stay at home - worth the extra cost

Ok, I think I'm getting home-sick for Durham, and I haven't even left yet!

If you're getting to town before I leave (sometime between June 15 and July 1), shoot me a PM. I'll meet you at P&O or Dain's or whatever!
2 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 176 [2] , given: 31

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Duke (Fuqua) Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 01 Nov 2008, 11:06
This post received
KUDOS
Just had my interview this morning, I think it went really well. The chap interviewing me and i had great rapport, kept the interview conversational. It was actually kinda fun. He said it would take about 35 mins; it ended up taking a full hour.

Questions asked:
- What do you do on Saturdays?
- Why MBA? why now?
- what are your long/short term goals?
- Why Duke?
- Tell me about your undergrad eCs (had them on my resume -> I tied them into what I want to do at Duke)
- Since you're a manager, what would your analysts say about you?
- What do you like about teams? dislike?
- What's your teaching style?
- When you take a role in a club/team, what do you want it to be?

Other Misc observations:
- students at Duke seem much more down to earth than those I met at Tuck; down-to-earthness is comparable to CHicago and MIT students
- students were really nice, lots of interesting backgrounds (e.g. girl from Ghana who went to Dartmouth then asset mgmt and is now at Duke)
- the entire day was student run - I didn't meet a single member of the adcom; apparently that's fairly representative of how a lot of ECs happen
- the QA with current students was kinda...awkward. They answered our questions openly and easily but there was no structure, no one to lead things off, segue to new topics - so lots of time spent looking at each other O_o
- v. pretty building - construction still going on
- girl/guy ratio at Duke is 38%/62%; at the event today, felt more like 6%/94% :P

All in all, it seemed to go pretty well.

best,
ac.
2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [2] , given: 0

Re: Calling all Duke (Fuqua) Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 13 Nov 2008, 21:02
This post received
KUDOS
Pics as promised for those who couldn't make it out there

school

classroom hallway

Cafe

Outside

Library -brand new 2008

Comp lab

The general Duke campus is gorgeous

2 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Schools: Cornell '11
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 129 [2] , given: 29

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Duke (Fuqua) Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 20 Jan 2009, 13:03
This post received
KUDOS
Waitlist Q & A
This correspondence is intended to provide you with answers to frequently asked questions regarding our waitlist process. It is our hope that this will alleviate concerns or questions you have regarding your waitlist status.

Q: How many people are on the waitlist?
We are unable to disclose an exact number of people who are waitlisted. Candidates on the waitlist may be admitted or may choose to remove their name from the waitlist at any point in the process. Therefore, the actual number of candidates on the waitlist can vary from day to day. Please be advised that the Admissions Committee has made a conscious decision to limit the number of applicants extended a place on the waitlist.

Q: Can I retake the GMAT?
Yes. We will accept new scores from an applicant who has elected to remain active on the waitlist. Deciding to retake the GMAT is a personal decision. If you feel that you did not test at your highest potential, it might be in your best interest to retake the test. In deciding to retest, applicants have found it helpful to compare themselves to the 80% range (630-750), you may want to consider sitting for the GMAT again and submitting your new score. Should you elect to take the GMAT again, please notify our office so we may look for your new score.

Q: Is the waitlist ranked and if so what number am I on the waitlist?
No. The waitlist is not ranked. However, it is imperative that you inform the Committee of your intentions to remain active on the waitlist. Only those applicants who have elected to remain active on the waitlist will be considered for admission.

Q: When will the Admissions Committee review waitlisted candidates?
The Admissions Committee may review applications of candidates on the waitlist at any point of time during the application process. You will be informed immediately if/when a new decision has been made on your application. As such, please be sure to keep us informed of any changes in your contact information.

Q: When is the latest I would be admitted from the waitlist?
In the past, we have admitted students from the waitlist as late as the start of Orientation in August.

Q: I was waitlisted for an interview. What should I do?
The Office of Admissions will contact you via e-mail to coordinate a telephone or alumni interview. No action is needed on your part until you receive the e-mail. Please be assured that the interview will be scheduled to allow enough time for the Admissions Committee to consider the interview when the waitlist is next reviewed.

Q: I was not waitlisted specifically for an interview. May I schedule an interview?
If you have not interviewed, you are welcome to schedule a campus visit and interview. Out of fairness to all applicants and due to limited space availability, only one interview may be conducted for an applicant per admission cycle. We are unable to grant requests for a second interview. This includes both alumni interviews and campus interviews.

Q: May I submit additional information for the Admissions Committee to consider?
Yes. During the coming months you may submit additional information that you feel will be helpful to the Committee in consideration of your file. Brevity and relevance are important when determining what to submit to the Admissions Committee. It is not necessary to duplicate information already covered in your application. All information must be submitted via e-mail to ensure that it will be placed in your file. Examples may include:

*Information on recent professional or community accomplishments
*an additional recommendation
*scanned official transcripts for recently completed coursework
*a copy of a new test score (note: official score must also come from ETS)
*any changes in contact information (mailing address, phone number, e-mail address)

Q: How should I submit additional information?We prefer that any updates to your file be submitted to our e-mail account specifically designated for applicants on the waitlist. This account is checked regularly and you will receive verification of your emal receipt within 5-7 business days. Should you prefer to send an update via post mail and you wish to have verification of the receipt of your mailing, please use a carrier that provides a delivery confirmation.

Q: To whom should I submit additional information?
All updates sent via e-mail should be submitted to: mbawaitlist@fuqua.duke.edu. Please note that this account is for the receipt of application updates only. We respectfully request that you direct any inquiries regarding your status on the waitlist to our office via telephone, (919) 660-7705. Your cooperation is greatly appreciated.

All post mail correspondence updating your application file should be sent to the attention of:

Attention: Waitlist Coordinator
The Duke MBA
Office of Admissions
The Fuqua School of Business
Duke University
1 Towerview Drive
Durham, NC 27708-0104

Q: I have a question that has not been addressed in the Waitlist Q&A. What should I do?

Should you have an inquiry regarding the waitlist process, please feel free to contact our office via telephone and ask to speak with an Admissions Officer. You may reach us during business hours, Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m.- 5:00 p.m., EST. We would be happy to speak with you and address any questions or concerns you have regarding your application status.

"George is getting upset!"

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

2 KUDOS received
VP
VP
Schools: Kellogg Class of 2011
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 237 [2] , given: 17

Re: Calling all Duke (Fuqua) Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 04 Feb 2009, 04:22
This post received
KUDOS
Atlantic wrote:
mlchang616 wrote:
What do you guys think about R3 for Duke? Do you think R3 for Duke is a long shot for most given that application numbers have been up so far in both rounds for most schools? I've spoken to a few reps about applying in R3 and most say that each round is equally evaluated. However, a majority of the applications usually come in through R1 & R2. I'm curious whether anyone has heard anything about R3 for Duke.

Thanks,
-M

I think R3 is more fairly evaluated in schools with a lower yield (like Duke).
After they have made their R2 offers they must be a lot less sure of class size and profile than at schools with the >90% yields. To get the class sized and in correct demographics and profile i'm sure they do utilize R3.

Anyway, Duke don't have a rep for discriminating against re-applicants so i don't think there is much to lose by firing in a R3 application? Anyway, best of luck

I disagree - it's not a question of a high or low yield, but rather how consistent the yield is from year to year. If for the past 5 years your yield has consistently been 50-55%, you'd know that you should admit between 1.8x-2x your desired class size, and then manage any slight variation in yield through the waitlist. Specifically at Duke, the deposits for R1 and R2 admits are due before the R3 decision date, so they will have almost no uncertainty over class size when deciding on R3.

That said, your chances of getting admitted if you don't apply are 0, so you have a slightly better chance if you do apply in R3. But you should realize that your chances aren't as good as with the earlier rounds.

2 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 178 [2] , given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Duke (Fuqua) Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 13 Feb 2009, 05:18
This post received
KUDOS
For any of you who are local...and I know there are at least 2 of you who are both local and interested in Net Impact things....

There is an Admissions Super Saturday tomorrow for R3 applicants, and we've scheduled some additional activities around the day, which anyone is more than welcome to join!

There's a panel at 2pm and a social later in the day. See attached for details. I'll probably be at the social. :)

(And as an FYI - Net Impact and CSI at Fuqua cover the spectrum of do-gooder MBAs: die-hard corporate types who volunteer on nonprofit boards, clean tech, nonprofit mgmt, CSR, education, int'l development, etc.)

cheerio
aau
Attachments

Super Saturday Tylers 2009.pdf [476.73 KiB]
Downloaded 65 times

To download please login or register as a user

Net Impact Panel.ppt [217.5 KiB]
Downloaded 71 times

2 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 178 [2] , given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Duke (Fuqua) Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 15 Feb 2009, 20:56
This post received
KUDOS
You can find the current employment report here: http://www.fuqua.duke.edu/mba_recruitin ... tatistics/.

This shows the FT status for 08ers and internships for 09ers. It's still early for the 08-09 report to come out.

In addition to the consulting firms you mention below, there are many others, including some big ones (McK, Accenture, etc) and some boutique firms.

1. Many companies that hire on a general management track have internal strategy roles: M&T, IBM, Wal-Mart, United, Sears, many others. I don't think we have the data parsed down to that level, though.

2. I think all of the big consulting firms have operations practices, and probably a lot of the small ones too. What you need to do is find a list of consulting firms and then learn about their practice areas.

As for being an int'l student: the big consulting firms sponsor visas. In the general management world, it just depends on the company. I'm mostly familiar with financial services, so I can tell you that M&T and BB&T do not while Citi does.

Hope this helps.

MBAAspirant2008 wrote:
Hey it would be great if "aaudetat" or any other current student can address my query:

I am interested towards the consulting side (Strategy & Opn both). Since fuqua hasn't released its latest employment report(has it ?). So can you please share the current internship scenario, specially for the international students ?

Additionally, seeing last years report i have an idea that Deloitte, Bain & BCG recruit at Fuqua. But can someone shed some light on the below points

1) Companies that recruit for internal strategy consulting (Can someone name and provide some past numbers)
2) Companies that recruit for operation consulting role (Some name and numbers would be great!)
2 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: Kellogg, Duke, Ross, Chicago Booth

Kudos [?]: 7 [2] , given: 0

Re: Calling all Duke (Fuqua) Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 09 Mar 2009, 12:16
This post received
KUDOS
So I've been stressing about Duke the whole day today only to get a call from Kellogg instead....I'm in :-D ....I'm ecstatic and over the moon....

I need to calm down and start breathing again
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 129 [1] , given: 29

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Duke (Fuqua) Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 19 Aug 2008, 14:21
This post received
KUDOS
As promised!

sam77sam7 wrote:
Thanks raab, I would really appreciate it!

Attachments

Recommendation_Duke_2008.pdf [55.46 KiB]
Downloaded 164 times

1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
Schools: Tuck
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 117 [1] , given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Duke (Fuqua) Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 20 Aug 2008, 15:51
This post received
KUDOS
aaudetat wrote:
And search for a post by lhotseface - he had good advice for personalizing your app. He probably posted it sometime in December (or maybe Nov) of 2006....aeons ago.

Found it!!

http://gmatclub.com/forum/p282155#p282155

RF

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 3 [1] , given: 0

Re: Calling all Duke (Fuqua) Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 30 Sep 2008, 16:46
This post received
KUDOS
For Duke's Essay 4, are we supposed to talk about only (health and security matters, environmental impact questions, and diversity and cultural concerns) issues mentioned in the question?

For Security, does the Information Security comes in this category? My impression is since Health and Secuirty is mentioned, we need to talk about only the worker health and safety.

If i am not exposed to these kind of issues in work place can i talk about other issues such as Information Security, privacy etc?

Any thoughts?
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 129 [1] , given: 29

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Duke (Fuqua) Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 04 Oct 2008, 10:51
This post received
KUDOS
Interview Complete!

The interview was with a second year student.

Questions:

5-10 minute resume walkthrough.
Why MBA, why now?
Short term and long term goals?
Why Fuqua?
What will you contribute in and out of class?
What are your greatest strengths, weaknesses?
Give me an example of your leadership in action.
Give me an example of your teamwork.
How would you handle a difficult team member?
How would your colleagues describe you?
Give me an example of when your ethics were challenged.
If you do not get into any business schools, what will you do?

I think it went VERY well. The back and forth was great. We were both Seinfeld fans so we had some good laughs about Seinfeld references. Overall it lasted 45 min to 1 full hour.

Later in the day I did a campus tour and my tour guide was a guy I went to high school with in PA (I am still friend with his sister). We were totally weired out by how random it was.....

All in all, I had a GREAT experience. LOVED FUQUA.

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Schools: Fuqua

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 0

Re: Calling all Duke (Fuqua) Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 08 Oct 2008, 16:32
This post received
KUDOS
hey, im from the area of Chapel Hill/Duke, are you kidding me????? I also plan on applying for new year 10 EA, still got to ace that GMAT, anyway. my point is if you got to go to Duke, from the airport take the TTA bus, which is a transit bus, but goes straight to its main terminal and then you can transfer from their to a bus that goes directly to Duke, only for $2.00 each way, so maybe a total of an extra of half an hour trip. And for a nice but cheap place to stay is Red House Inn (i think thatz the name) its right next to 15-501 and Interstate 40. If you wanna get to check out Chapel Hill, or better yet, you got an interview at Kennan and want to knock down 2 birds with one stone, take the Robertson Scholars bus, it free, just like all the other buses in Chapel Hill. Hope this helps.
1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
Schools: Tuck
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 117 [1] , given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Duke (Fuqua) Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 12 Oct 2008, 04:28
This post received
KUDOS
ac8706 wrote:
So another question: Duke asks the following in their app -
Quote:
Duke requires completion of at least one college-level calculus course with a 'C' or better prior to enrollment. Have you met this requirement?

Does high school Advanced Placement Calc (considered college level) count for this?

I'm thinking that's the kind of question only the adcom can answer (at least that's the only source I'd trust).

RF

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [1] , given: 0

Re: Calling all Duke (Fuqua) Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 22 Oct 2008, 08:51
This post received
KUDOS
bostonsparky wrote:
rgajare or anyone else who knows-

where is this 'sample resume' you speak of? Do you have a URL by chance? I've been googling for 'sample duke MBA resume' with little success.

when you click on the apply now link it will take you a applyyourself url, here once you enter you username and pin you are directed to a page to enter your details. On the left hand side you see a bar, the link to download the sample resume is at the bottom.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
WE: General Management (Manufacturing)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 9 [1] , given: 15

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Duke (Fuqua) Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 07 Nov 2008, 11:03
This post received
KUDOS
+1 to ryguy for sticking to his promise and a wonderful first hand view....

Eat like a Pig, Lift like a Demon & Sleep like Dead.............

Last edited by devansh_god on 07 Nov 2008, 11:10, edited 2 times in total.
Re: Calling all Duke (Fuqua) Fall 2009 applicants!   [#permalink] 07 Nov 2008, 11:03