Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 01 Oct 2014, 18:22

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling all Emory applicants Fall 2010

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 10 Nov 2009
Posts: 248
Schools: Emory 2012
WE 1: 1 yr proprietary trading
WE 2: 2 yrs global ibank in municipal derivatives
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 49 [1] , given: 11

Reviews Badge
Re: Calling all Emory applicants Fall 2010 [#permalink] New post 27 Mar 2010, 21:27
1
This post received
KUDOS
As promised, I'll give you a recap. I just got back to the hotel after the last of many activities. For those who couldn't make it, I'm sorry. You missed out on a very good time. For those of you here who did attend, I'm sure we probably met and didn't know it.

My big takeaway of the weekend is not something you'd see on a webcast. It's these three things:

1) Faculty, staff and students all care about you as a person. This is the friendliest network of people you'll ever meet. It's social, it's fun, everyone has a great time, although they work hard too. It's definitely a very personal place, you're not a number, and you will be known.

2) They stressed how great and strong the alumni network is. The idea is that since they're a smaller program, their alums care more. It's a family that you look out for. People are responsive when you send them an email as a student and they do what they can to help out. Obviously, you're expected to do likewise when you're an alum.

3) You develop as a leader. Expect to be placed in situations that you're not used to, and stretched to become comfortable in roles that you otherwise wouldn't be comfortable in right now. You develop strong interpersonal skills and become a better people person.

So those were my big takeaways. As a whole, I was very impressed with the program.

Don't ask me for a decision where I'm going.... I don't know yet.
_________________

http://www.mbavolunteers.org - check it out

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 15 Jan 2010
Posts: 42
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 5

Re: Calling all Emory applicants Fall 2010 [#permalink] New post 28 Mar 2010, 10:02
LetsGoMets wrote:
As promised, I'll give you a recap. I just got back to the hotel after the last of many activities. For those who couldn't make it, I'm sorry. You missed out on a very good time. For those of you here who did attend, I'm sure we probably met and didn't know it.

My big takeaway of the weekend is not something you'd see on a webcast. It's these three things:

1) Faculty, staff and students all care about you as a person. This is the friendliest network of people you'll ever meet. It's social, it's fun, everyone has a great time, although they work hard too. It's definitely a very personal place, you're not a number, and you will be known.

2) They stressed how great and strong the alumni network is. The idea is that since they're a smaller program, their alums care more. It's a family that you look out for. People are responsive when you send them an email as a student and they do what they can to help out. Obviously, you're expected to do likewise when you're an alum.

3) You develop as a leader. Expect to be placed in situations that you're not used to, and stretched to become comfortable in roles that you otherwise wouldn't be comfortable in right now. You develop strong interpersonal skills and become a better people person.

So those were my big takeaways. As a whole, I was very impressed with the program.

Don't ask me for a decision where I'm going.... I don't know yet.

:good

Thanks!
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 15 Jan 2010
Posts: 42
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 5

Re: Calling all Emory applicants Fall 2010 [#permalink] New post 08 Apr 2010, 12:11
For those with admit...

Any research on where to live???
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 10 Nov 2009
Posts: 248
Schools: Emory 2012
WE 1: 1 yr proprietary trading
WE 2: 2 yrs global ibank in municipal derivatives
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 49 [0], given: 11

Reviews Badge
Re: Calling all Emory applicants Fall 2010 [#permalink] New post 08 Apr 2010, 12:26
If I do wind up at Emory, I'll live at Post Briarcliff. It's not too far, pretty affordable, and the apartments are nice.

Lots of current students addressed this at welcome weekend. Between the law, med, and b-schools, there's a huge grad-student community at Post Briarcliff. They mentioned a few other places too, but I wasn't really paying much attention at that point.
_________________

http://www.mbavolunteers.org - check it out

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 15 Jan 2010
Posts: 42
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 5

Re: Calling all Emory applicants Fall 2010 [#permalink] New post 08 Apr 2010, 12:34
LetsGoMets wrote:
If I do wind up at Emory, I'll live at Post Briarcliff. It's not too far, pretty affordable, and the apartments are nice.

Lots of current students addressed this at welcome weekend. Between the law, med, and b-schools, there's a huge grad-student community at Post Briarcliff. They mentioned a few other places too, but I wasn't really paying much attention at that point.


I would definetely need a car if I live at Post Briarcliff...

Am I right?
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 10 Nov 2009
Posts: 248
Schools: Emory 2012
WE 1: 1 yr proprietary trading
WE 2: 2 yrs global ibank in municipal derivatives
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 49 [0], given: 11

Reviews Badge
Re: Calling all Emory applicants Fall 2010 [#permalink] New post 08 Apr 2010, 12:39
I suppose you could find someone to carpool with, but yes, you'd need a car.
_________________

http://www.mbavolunteers.org - check it out

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 02 Jun 2009
Posts: 446
Followers: 39

Kudos [?]: 158 [0], given: 36

Re: Calling all Emory applicants Fall 2010 [#permalink] New post 08 Apr 2010, 13:06
LetsGoMets wrote:
If I do wind up at Emory, I'll live at Post Briarcliff. It's not too far, pretty affordable, and the apartments are nice.

Lots of current students addressed this at welcome weekend. Between the law, med, and b-schools, there's a huge grad-student community at Post Briarcliff. They mentioned a few other places too, but I wasn't really paying much attention at that point.


Funny thing. I live there as well :)
_________________

Tips: best-app-tips-77803-80.html#p610423
GMAT experience: gmat-710-q47-v41-what-worked-and-what-didn-t-81055.html#p608295
Telling your story: storytelling-82064.html#p615567
Other MBA women: calling-all-female-mba-applicants-84636.html
GMATClub interview practice groups: gmatclub-interview-groups-85902.html#p643929

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 25 Nov 2009
Posts: 34
Schools: R2: MIT (ding), Stanford (WL w/int), Wharton (WL w/ int), Emory (admitted!)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 1

Re: Calling all Emory applicants Fall 2010 [#permalink] New post 08 Apr 2010, 15:41
The deadline for my deposit is Monday!

What's everyone else going to do?
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 15 Jan 2010
Posts: 42
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 5

Re: Calling all Emory applicants Fall 2010 [#permalink] New post 09 Apr 2010, 06:59
I have also heard of Campus Crossings at Brircliff...but I just found out they had a big "flood" in January from the 4th floor which really messed up the place...

Anyone has info on this?

Campus Crossings is closer to Goizueta
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 11 Aug 2009
Posts: 50
Location: New York
Schools: Columbia, Fordham, NYU, Emory, U of Rochester UCLA, USC, UCI
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Emory applicants Fall 2010 [#permalink] New post 14 Apr 2010, 05:52
Can someone please let me know when the financial deposits are due if you decide to attend in the fall? I'm still WL, and I'm trying to time my communication with the Adcom to keep their minds fresh about my intent to attend the school if I'm given the opportunity. Your help is appreciated. Thanks.
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 10 Nov 2009
Posts: 248
Schools: Emory 2012
WE 1: 1 yr proprietary trading
WE 2: 2 yrs global ibank in municipal derivatives
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 49 [0], given: 11

Reviews Badge
Re: Calling all Emory applicants Fall 2010 [#permalink] New post 17 Apr 2010, 20:29
turbo,

The first deposit due date is a function of when you find out you've been admitted and whether you're domestic or international.

At this point, you'll get about 2-4 weeks to make a deposit after being admitted, and if you find out after june 1st, you have 1 week to decide. I don't know that there's any strategy involved in timing your calls to admissions. If you have something relevant to tell them, I'm sure they'd be glad to hear from you.
_________________

http://www.mbavolunteers.org - check it out

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Current Student
avatar
Joined: 10 Nov 2009
Posts: 248
Schools: Emory 2012
WE 1: 1 yr proprietary trading
WE 2: 2 yrs global ibank in municipal derivatives
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 49 [0], given: 11

Reviews Badge
Re: Calling all Emory applicants Fall 2010 [#permalink] New post 26 May 2010, 15:41
I'm officially going to Emory. See y'all there in late July/August.
_________________

http://www.mbavolunteers.org - check it out

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 09 Jul 2009
Posts: 19
Schools: Emory 2012
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Emory applicants Fall 2010 [#permalink] New post 30 May 2010, 13:49
Hey Guys,
Got the call finally, I am in with $$. I am a R2 applicant who was waitlisted, very pleasently surprised with $$ inspite of a wait listing. Super excited. Ill see you folks in late July.
Is any admit on the forum an International, I have some visa related Q's. Appreciate your help. Thanks
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 11 Aug 2009
Posts: 50
Location: New York
Schools: Columbia, Fordham, NYU, Emory, U of Rochester UCLA, USC, UCI
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Emory applicants Fall 2010 [#permalink] New post 31 May 2010, 06:26
I'm still stuck on the Wl =( The Adcom wants me to take the GMAT again since I got a 610. I haven't had time to do so b/c I've been craming for the CFA lvl 2. If I wasn't taking the CFA I would gladly take the GMAT again soon. However I'm afraid I might be burned out after the CFA exam. I've been cramming for this exam like crazy...any thoughts or comments? What should I do?
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 10 Nov 2009
Posts: 248
Schools: Emory 2012
WE 1: 1 yr proprietary trading
WE 2: 2 yrs global ibank in municipal derivatives
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 49 [0], given: 11

Reviews Badge
Re: Calling all Emory applicants Fall 2010 [#permalink] New post 31 May 2010, 07:16
mrturbo311 wrote:
I'm still stuck on the Wl =( The Adcom wants me to take the GMAT again since I got a 610. I haven't had time to do so b/c I've been craming for the CFA lvl 2. If I wasn't taking the CFA I would gladly take the GMAT again soon. However I'm afraid I might be burned out after the CFA exam. I've been cramming for this exam like crazy...any thoughts or comments? What should I do?


Figure out what your priorities are, and if it's going to Emory, take the GMAT again. The GMAT is very easy in comparison to the CFA, albeit very different.

CFA level 2 is awful. I hated that test. Good Luck next weekend.
_________________

http://www.mbavolunteers.org - check it out

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 11 Aug 2009
Posts: 50
Location: New York
Schools: Columbia, Fordham, NYU, Emory, U of Rochester UCLA, USC, UCI
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Emory applicants Fall 2010 [#permalink] New post 31 May 2010, 18:38
It's funny because everyone keeps telling me the GMAT is so easy compared to the CFA. However I feel that it's not an apple to apple comparison. I actually find that I do better on CFA than I do on GMAT. In fact, if you see my scores, it's not the math portion of the GMAT that I'm weak on. It's actually the verbal. Me no espeak-a English..
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 10 Nov 2009
Posts: 248
Schools: Emory 2012
WE 1: 1 yr proprietary trading
WE 2: 2 yrs global ibank in municipal derivatives
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 49 [0], given: 11

Reviews Badge
Re: Calling all Emory applicants Fall 2010 [#permalink] New post 31 May 2010, 19:48
You're right that's it's not apples to apples.

But, you write pretty well, and I'm sure your understanding of the language is fine. My verbal skills weren't all that great either, but I found the verbal section to be very coachable. As someone who took both tests, I say very comfortably that I'd much rather sit through the GMAT again rather than the CFA.

There are ways to prepare for the verbal section of the GMAT and there of lots of resources on this site. I still think my advice is valid - Emory told you that you need a higher verbal score (per your post). If you want to get in there, take the test again. You're in a good position here; the school told you exactly what they need to see for you to gain admission. Just think about how great that would have been if a school told applicants ahead of time, "from you, we need to see x, y, and z and you're in". You know what you need to do. Figure out if you want to go there and if you do, then study and crush the test.
_________________

http://www.mbavolunteers.org - check it out

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 11 Aug 2009
Posts: 50
Location: New York
Schools: Columbia, Fordham, NYU, Emory, U of Rochester UCLA, USC, UCI
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Emory applicants Fall 2010 [#permalink] New post 01 Jun 2010, 05:17
LetsGoMets wrote:
You're right that's it's not apples to apples.

But, you write pretty well, and I'm sure your understanding of the language is fine. My verbal skills weren't all that great either, but I found the verbal section to be very coachable. As someone who took both tests, I say very comfortably that I'd much rather sit through the GMAT again rather than the CFA.

There are ways to prepare for the verbal section of the GMAT and there of lots of resources on this site. I still think my advice is valid - Emory told you that you need a higher verbal score (per your post). If you want to get in there, take the test again. You're in a good position here; the school told you exactly what they need to see for you to gain admission. Just think about how great that would have been if a school told applicants ahead of time, "from you, we need to see x, y, and z and you're in". You know what you need to do. Figure out if you want to go there and if you do, then study and crush the test.


Yes, in part I should be greatful that the Adcom told me exactly what I need to gain admission. I was just afraid I would run out of gas after the CFA exam. This year has been so stressful for me since I've taken 3 GMAT exams and gone through the entire B-School procedure, and now I will be taking the CFA exam next week. Just a lot in 1 year IMO. However, if I do decide I have enough energy to study for the GMAT one last time, do you think I should write a letter back to the Adcom letting them know in advance that I will be sitting through the GMAT exam again? and give them a specific date? I was just wondering if this was necessary in case they decide to reject me before I actually have a chance to take the GMAT again.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Affiliations: ACA, CPA
Joined: 26 Apr 2009
Posts: 445
Location: Vagabond
Schools: BC
WE 1: Big4, Audit
WE 2: Banking
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 41

Re: Calling all Emory applicants Fall 2010 [#permalink] New post 02 Jun 2010, 04:35
[quote="mrturbo311] However, if I do decide I have enough energy to study for the GMAT one last time, do you think I should write a letter back to the Adcom letting them know in advance that I will be sitting through the GMAT exam again? and give them a specific date? I was just wondering if this was necessary in case they decide to reject me before I actually have a chance to take the GMAT again.[/quote]


IMHO, you must inform the adcom. One of my target schools pretty much told me to do the same and they were candid enough to give me a time frame, within which i need to up my score.

My giving them a heads up on your GMAT date, you are showing them your interest and intent of making it to the class of 2012, which is always appreciated.

Good luck.
_________________

If you have made mistakes, there is always another chance for you. You may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing we call "failure" is not the falling down, but the staying down.

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 25 Nov 2009
Posts: 34
Schools: R2: MIT (ding), Stanford (WL w/int), Wharton (WL w/ int), Emory (admitted!)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 1

Re: Calling all Emory applicants Fall 2010 [#permalink] New post 08 Jun 2010, 08:02
Hey everyone, I'm looking for a roommate to live in Post Briarcliff. Anyone interested? I've already put a deposit on a 2 bedroom, 2 bathroom apto. PM if you are.
See you guys in July! :)
Re: Calling all Emory applicants Fall 2010   [#permalink] 08 Jun 2010, 08:02
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
11 Calling all Emory applicants Fall 2011 thedarklard 210 29 Oct 2010, 21:31
40 Calling all Cornell (Johnson) Fall 2010 applicants! Raabend 1421 21 May 2009, 06:16
43 Experts publish their posts in the topic Calling all Berkeley-Haas Fall 2010 Applicants kryzak 1236 13 May 2009, 00:23
4 Calling all Emory applicants Fall 2008 emoryhopeful 203 10 Sep 2007, 09:35
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Calling all Emory applicants Fall 2010

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   [ 160 posts ] 



GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.