Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 06:52

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling all Fall 2010 Consortium Applicants (merged)

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Director
Director
Affiliations: Consortium (CGSM.org), NSHMBA
Schools: Yale SOM Class of 2012
WE 1: Investment Banking Summer Associate (Boutique tech M&A)
Followers: 39

Kudos [?]: 217 [0], given: 113

Reviews Badge
Re: Should I apply through the Consortium? [#permalink] New post 04 Oct 2009, 00:23
gregarious wrote:
This has been an interesting discussion about a potentially touchy subject. I personally find it interesting how, as an Asian-American, I am definitely considered a minority by the military but not by bschools or the Consortium. Actually, it would be more accurate to say that bschools don't consider Asian-Americans to be "under-represented minorities". I think RonMexico's advice to go with your gut is spot on. After all, regardless of what you're trying to convince the Consortium or an adcom of, it will show if you're not truly passionate about it, especially in person during an interview. Keep up the mature and insightful comments.

URM status is generally looked at differently by different "types" of schools (i.e. business, law, medical, etc.) as far as i know. for example, for business schools, they look at the following:

race X comprises 5% of all students in business schools, and
race X comprises 15% of the general population

since there is such a large disparity in these 2 figures, race X would be considered an "underrepresented minority" by business schools

if race Y (let's say asian-american) comprises 8% of business school students, and comprises 9% of the general population, then they would not be "underrepresented" in the same sense.

i don't have firm figures as to what the percentages are for all minorities / races. however, if you look this article (http://www.usnews.com/articles/educatio ... dents.html), you can see that blacks, hispanics, and native americans make up less than 10% of students in business schools, while at the same time representing 28% of the general population. this is the reason they are considered "underrepresented", whereas other minorities (such as indian, chinese, etc.) are not.

GMAT Debrief

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Affiliations: USMC
Schools: Darden '12
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 22

Re: Should I apply through the Consortium? [#permalink] New post 04 Oct 2009, 00:55
here's the crux of the question then:

will I endanger my application if i apply via cgsm, but for one reason or another, end up not meeting their threshold?

lsuguy7 on the 2nd post of this thread says that admission is still possible
lsuguy7 wrote:
2. Accepted by a member school with no money and no admission to CGSM
but the question is does my rejection from the cgsm put my application in a disadvantage.

in other words, if i apply via consortium, and the cgsm adcom deems my application not minority focused enough for a scholarship or acceptance into the consortium, who makes the judgment of whether or not i'm accepted into the school? is my application passed onto the general pool applicant adcoms? does the fact that i was disqualified make my application less likely to be accepted? to me, it would seem so because you essentially wasted an essay talking about a subject that the adcom deemed unworthy of acceptance and more than likely, you have elements of the essay interwoven throughout your entire application.

it seems to me, that there could very well be a situation, where you've made a delicious bowl of spaghetti, but if the parmesan cheese you have has gone bad, and you sprinkle it on top of your dish, the entire meal has been ruined.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Should I apply through the Consortium? [#permalink] New post 04 Oct 2009, 01:11
the schools decide 1st whether or not to admit you. then consortium decides if it wants to give you membership. then the school decides if they want to give you, as a member, a full ride (based on your ranking - typically only your #1 can give you a full ride). But membership is worthwhile in itself, access to the network / special events where there are recruiters, etc. it think applying to CGSM (again if you have a valid story) will make you stand out vs. the traditional route
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 0

Re: Should I apply through the Consortium? [#permalink] New post 04 Oct 2009, 01:19
This post received
KUDOS
Key Decisions

There are three key decisions that are made during The Consortium process:

1. Admission
Admission decisions are based on academic ability (GMAT, academic transcripts), professional potential (career essay, résumé, recommendations, and interview), and personal characteristics (all application components). Admission decisions are made solely by the admissions committees at the member schools. Admission decisions are communicated to applicants by the schools. All admission decisions are final.
2. Membership
All admitted candidates will be considered for membership in The Consortium. Members gain many benefits, including access to over 70 corporate partners, a mandatory Orientation Program (OP) prior to beginning their MBAs, and access to over 5,500 Consortium alumni across member schools.

It is important to note that being admitted to a member school does not automatically guarantee membership in The Consortium. Membership will be granted to those admitted applicants who demonstrate a commitment to The Consortium’s mission of helping reduce the serious underrepresentation of African Americans, Hispanic Americans and Native Americans in both our member schools’ enrollments and the ranks of management. If you are admitted and granted membership to one of our member school programs, you must enroll to enjoy the benefits of Consortium membership. Membership is not transferrable to non-Consortium schools.

Your admission to a particular school is not affected by the membership decision. Membership decisions are communicated by The Consortium. All membership decisions are final.

Individual schools may offer admitted applicants school-specific merit-based scholarships regardless of membership and fellowship decisions.

3. Fellowship (and School Rankings)
All Consortium members will be considered for the two-year fellowship covering tuition and required fees. Applicants who are admitted but not granted membership to The Consortium will not be considered for The Consortium Fellowship.

Your school ranking determines the order in which schools may consider you for The Fellowship. You are first considered for The Fellowship by your highest ranked school to which you were admitted. If that school does not choose to award you The Fellowship, the option passes to your next highest ranked school to which you were admitted and so on. While many Consortium schools may admit you, only one Consortium school may offer you The Fellowship. After your application is submitted to The Consortium, you cannot change your school ranking.

Fellowships are determined through a holistic review of the overall merit of the applicant. Fellowship decisions are made solely by the admissions and scholarship committees at each of the member schools. Fellowship decisions are communicated by The Consortium the third week in March; and additional details regarding your fellowship will follow from the school. All fellowship decisions are final. You will be required to accept or decline your fellowship offer by April 15.

Important notes regarding The Fellowship:

* You can only be awarded The Consortium Fellowship by one school.
* Your school ranking determines the order in which admitting schools have the option to award you The Consortium Fellowship.
* The Consortium provides funding for full-time MBA study at member schools only.
* Although some schools offer deferred admission, The Fellowship may not be deferred. If you defer your admission, you must reapply for The Fellowship.
* Consortium Fellowships are awarded for a course of study beginning in the fall only.
Manager
Manager

Re: Should I apply through the Consortium? [#permalink] New post 04 Oct 2009, 01:31
hmmm,

so what you're saying is, you've "cheesed" my spaghetti metaphor? :lol:

no just kidding.

thanks nerdgirl. that info really does help. i think i will apply via consortium. even though i'm not a targeted minority, my work with my organization, along with the work i've done in my community that targets minorities in the area (i volunteer at a local low income high school, and i'm a leader at a Young Marines group in south central LA), will give me enough credence to apply via cgsm.

hopefully, it'll at least get me an acceptance.

thanks again.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Ross 2010
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 1

Re: Should I apply through the Consortium? [#permalink] New post 05 Oct 2009, 15:12
I would encourage you to apply via Consortium it seems like you have a good story to tell. I'm a Consortium fellow at Ross and out of our class there was another asian girl, (I'm half asian/white), and two indians that I can think of off the top of my head. So although most people are underrepresented it is not a requirement and in fact the Consortium was actually started by a couple of white guys.

I think the most important thing is that you have helped underrepresented minorities in some way. It doesn't have to be earth shattering - I wrote about my experience mentoring/tutoring. If you have other questions feel free to send me a pm.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Ross Class of 2011
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 86 [0], given: 0

Re: Should I apply through the Consortium? [#permalink] New post 05 Oct 2009, 16:52
Been busy so I haven't been keeping up with the topic but as always I'm available via pm to answer CGSM application questions. I also believe that showing a direct correlation between the work you've done and the mission is far more important than being an URM.
Manager
Manager

Re: Should I apply through the Consortium? [#permalink] New post 05 Oct 2009, 17:06
quick question. (epic football game)

URM=under represented minority?
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 217 [0], given: 113

Reviews Badge
Re: Should I apply through the Consortium? [#permalink] New post 05 Oct 2009, 17:15
^yes. specifically in the business school sense, this refers to blacks, latinos, and native americans.

GMAT Debrief

Last edited by shadow on 06 Oct 2009, 10:04, edited 1 time in total.
Current Student
Schools: Wharton Class of 2012 w/ fellowship
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 56 [0], given: 12

Re: Should I apply through the Consortium? [#permalink] New post 06 Oct 2009, 09:56
If you are accepted in the Consortium, but decide to go to a non-Consortium school (maybe you didn't get the fellowship or it was just a better school), can you still retain membership in the Consortium and engage in their activities?

Thanks

My story of an average chick who stumbled into the 700+ club
700-clubbers-add-your-name-to-the-list-64636-100.html#p600519
My 2009-2010 Application Decisions
2010-profiles-w-admit-dings-results-no-discussion-78475.html?view-post=600694#p600694

Manager
Manager

Re: Should I apply through the Consortium? [#permalink] New post 06 Oct 2009, 10:48
nerdgirl wrote:
If you are admitted and granted membership to one of our member school programs, you must enroll to enjoy the benefits of Consortium membership. Membership is not transferrable to non-Consortium schools.

doesn't seem like it
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: Should I apply through the Consortium? [#permalink] New post 06 Oct 2009, 11:03
That's correct. Membership in the Consortium and participation in their activities is dependant upon you attending one of their member schools.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Ross Class of 2011

Kudos [?]: 86 [0], given: 0

Re: Should I apply through the Consortium? [#permalink] New post 06 Oct 2009, 13:56
If you request - they will let you attend OP and get a sense of what the Consortium is about and the recruiting and networking opportunites it offers. Of course if you go to OP and decide not to attend a CGSM school you'll need to pay back your air fare that is free for fellows. We had a couple of people who went this route and after OP decided that the benefits of CGSM + Ross is huge and possibly better than attending a higher ranked school without the Consortium Fellowship on the resume.
Manager
Manager

Re: Should I apply through the Consortium? [#permalink] New post 06 Oct 2009, 14:57
an OP?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: Should I apply through the Consortium? [#permalink] New post 06 Oct 2009, 16:52
It stands for Orientation Program which they have in June before you start school. You can meet students from other Consortium schools and there are companies there so you have a chance to network and interview as well.
Current Student

Re: Should I apply through the Consortium? [#permalink] New post 17 Oct 2009, 14:13
can someone please post the recommendation questions? i opened an application but it does not show the questions - not very helpful if you want to put together a recommender packet ahead of time so recommenders know what to expect.

2010-profiles-w-admit-dings-results-no-discussion-78475.html?view-post=600694#p600694

Manager
Manager

Re: Should I apply through the Consortium? [#permalink] New post 18 Oct 2009, 15:37
2012dreams wrote:
can someone please post the recommendation questions? i opened an application but it does not show the questions - not very helpful if you want to put together a recommender packet ahead of time so recommenders know what to expect.

bump. i'd like to see this as well to give hard copies to my recommenders.
2 KUDOS received
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 217 [2] , given: 113

Reviews Badge
Re: Should I apply through the Consortium? [#permalink] New post 21 Oct 2009, 08:13
This post received
KUDOS
lakai777 wrote:
2012dreams wrote:

bump again. i'm specifically interested in the professional recommendations. my guy for the mission recommendation already completed it. he said there were only 2 questions for that one:

• How long have you known the applicant and in what capacity?
  • "What has the candidate done in business, personal, or their academic life to demonstrate commitment to reducing the serious underrepresentation of African-Americans, Hispanic Americans or Native Americans through the applicant's academic, or professional pursuits? What potential does the candidate demonstrate for assisting The Consortium in pursuing its mission? "

GMAT Debrief

Current Student

Re: Should I apply through the Consortium? [#permalink] New post 21 Oct 2009, 08:26
shadowsjc wrote:
lakai777 wrote:
2012dreams wrote:

bump again. i'm specifically interested in the professional recommendations. my guy for the mission recommendation already completed it. he said there were only 2 questions for that one:

• How long have you known the applicant and in what capacity?
  • "What has the candidate done in business, personal, or their academic life to demonstrate commitment to reducing the serious underrepresentation of African-Americans, Hispanic Americans or Native Americans through the applicant's academic, or professional pursuits? What potential does the candidate demonstrate for assisting The Consortium in pursuing its mission? "

+1, thank you for posting those

Current Student
Schools: HBS R2, Stanford R2, Wharton R2, Columbia RD, Tuck R2, Darden R2, Texas R2

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 25

Re: Should I apply through the Consortium? [#permalink] New post 23 Oct 2009, 03:50
2012dreams wrote:
If you are accepted in the Consortium, but decide to go to a non-Consortium school (maybe you didn't get the fellowship or it was just a better school), can you still retain membership in the Consortium and engage in their activities?

Thanks

I talked to a Consortium representative about this - the answer was NO (unless I horribly misunderstood).
Re: Should I apply through the Consortium?   [#permalink] 23 Oct 2009, 03:50