Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 29 Aug 2014, 20:26

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling all Fall 2010 Consortium Applicants (merged)

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Schools: Ross (CGSM Fellow), Wash U Olin R2, Kelley R2, Tepper R2, Marshall R2
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [1] , given: 0

Re: Calling all Fall 2010 Consortium Applicants (merged) [#permalink] New post 15 Mar 2010, 21:32
This post received
KUDOS
For roll call purposes, I'm in at Tepper, dinged by Kelley.

Posted from my mobile device Image
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
Schools: Ross, Kelley, McCombs, Tuck, Stanford, HBS, Kellogg
WE 1: 5 yrs Financial Services/Compliance

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Fall 2010 Consortium Applicants (merged) [#permalink] New post 16 Mar 2010, 05:07
For roll call purposes waitlisted at Ross :cry:
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: MIT (Sloan) - Class of 2012
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 13 [1] , given: 6

Re: Calling all Fall 2010 Consortium Applicants (merged) [#permalink] New post 16 Mar 2010, 05:25
This post received
KUDOS
For the roll call

In at Tepper.
Manager
Manager
Schools: Kellogg (Interviewed, ding) , Fuqua (Admit), HBS, Ross (WL) /Kelley (Admit) /McCombs (ding) - Consortium
WE 1: Technology Engineer

Re: Calling all Fall 2010 Consortium Applicants (merged) [#permalink] New post 16 Mar 2010, 05:31
smh... I'm leaning towards declining my fellowship... :(
Current Student
Schools: MIT (Sloan) - Class of 2012

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 6

Re: Calling all Fall 2010 Consortium Applicants (merged) [#permalink] New post 16 Mar 2010, 05:32
gravity1914 wrote:

Me too
Manager
Manager
Schools: Indiana Kelley/Class of 2012/Full tuition $$
WE 1: Healthcare/Biomedical Research
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 3

Re: Calling all Fall 2010 Consortium Applicants (merged) [#permalink] New post 16 Mar 2010, 05:41
@ JoeMahmah, I think the fact that Texas offered you membership despite your non-URM status speaks to the strength of your app and your work in support of the mission of the Consortium. I wish you the best and hope that Stern will do the same if they offer you an Admit...and per locale, I am from the Buckeye State :wink:

@ ibrokeit007, your comments are on point. All the best...

what2do15 and maxtor, congrats on your Tepper admit!

@ gravity1914, why are you leaning towards declining you fellowship? Please, do tell...

Leadership is not really about telling people what to do — a strategy that doesn't always work. It's about creating an environment where people can speak up, where we can get into debates without becoming confrontational or negative. [It's] about getting people to bring all of themselves to the table." - DuPont CEO Ellen Kullman; Kellogg '83

Manager
Manager
Schools: Stanford, Haas, Stern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: Calling all Fall 2010 Consortium Applicants (merged) [#permalink] New post 16 Mar 2010, 05:42
Does anyone know when waitlisted Stern students will find out about admission decisions?
Current Student
Schools: Kellogg, Ross, Stern-withdrew, Fuqua

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 1

Re: Calling all Fall 2010 Consortium Applicants (merged) [#permalink] New post 16 Mar 2010, 05:43
gravity1914 wrote:

So I see you're taking my "Follow Your Heart" advice??
Manager
Manager
Schools: Kellogg (Interviewed, ding) , Fuqua (Admit), HBS, Ross (WL) /Kelley (Admit) /McCombs (ding) - Consortium

Re: Calling all Fall 2010 Consortium Applicants (merged) [#permalink] New post 16 Mar 2010, 09:12
Case2010 wrote:
@ JoeMahmah, I think the fact that Texas offered you membership despite your non-URM status speaks to the strength of your app and your work in support of the mission of the Consortium. I wish you the best and hope that Stern will do the same if they offer you an Admit...and per locale, I am from the Buckeye State :wink:

@ ibrokeit007, your comments are on point. All the best...

what2do15 and maxtor, congrats on your Tepper admit!

@ gravity1914, why are you leaning towards declining you fellowship? Please, do tell...

I got into fuqua also... the money from kelley is attractive but..... hmmmm
Manager
Manager

Re: Calling all Fall 2010 Consortium Applicants (merged) [#permalink] New post 16 Mar 2010, 09:14
Mystik742 wrote:
gravity1914 wrote:

So I see you're taking my "Follow Your Heart" advice??

following my heart would lead me to hoosierville... my head is pointing to Blue Devil town.. :-D
Intern
Intern

Re: Calling all Fall 2010 Consortium Applicants (merged) [#permalink] New post 16 Mar 2010, 09:26
HI, I am just finding this group online! I read this morning some of the threads.. I was admitted to my second choice for the Consortium USC but have not heard at all from my first ranked NYU. Im wondering if people are in this same position and if not hearing from your top ranked means that you did not get in after being accepted to your second choice??
Current Student
Schools: Wharton Class of 2012 w/ fellowship
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 56 [0], given: 12

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Fall 2010 Consortium Applicants (merged) [#permalink] New post 16 Mar 2010, 09:41
gravity1914 wrote:
following my heart would lead me to hoosierville... my head is pointing to Blue Devil town.. :-D

if you enjoyed kelley, it is the right fit, and you have the fellowship, i would think very hard about turning down kelley for fuqua (this would be different if your heart was at fuqua). looking at your profile it says you have an interest in marketing, i say duke may have an edge in tech and health care marketing, but other than that, most marketing/CPG brand management opportunities are equal across all the top 20. additionally, marketing is not an area where the brand name of your school is going to make a big difference, and since it is not a typical "high income" field like MC, IB, PE, it makes a full ride that much more appealing - a lot fewer loans to deal with later on.

may i ask why your head is saying fuqua?

My story of an average chick who stumbled into the 700+ club
700-clubbers-add-your-name-to-the-list-64636-100.html#p600519
My 2009-2010 Application Decisions
2010-profiles-w-admit-dings-results-no-discussion-78475.html?view-post=600694#p600694

Intern
Intern
Schools: Ross (CGSM Fellow), Wash U Olin R2, Kelley R2, Tepper R2, Marshall R2

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Fall 2010 Consortium Applicants (merged) [#permalink] New post 16 Mar 2010, 09:44
@ gravity1914

Fuqua vs. Fellowship at Kelley....Interesting. I guess your financial situation, area of focus and gut feeling all will play a part. IU's program seems to stand up againt most schools and don't forget the added benefits of being a CGSM fellow, ie..OP and networking. Obviously Duke is a very strong program and has great name recognition. For me, it was hard to pass up a free ride, but money played a role and I'm headed to my #1. I say go with the choice that leaves you with the fewest reasons to regret your decision. Either way, you're in blessed situation. Congrats!!
Manager
Manager
Schools: Stanford, Haas, Stern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: Calling all Fall 2010 Consortium Applicants (merged) [#permalink] New post 16 Mar 2010, 09:51
2012dreams wrote:
gravity1914 wrote:

if you enjoyed kelley, it is the right fit, and you have the fellowship, i would think very hard about turning down kelley for fuqua (this would be different if your heart was at fuqua). looking at your profile it says you have an interest in marketing, i say duke may have an edge in tech and health care marketing, but other than that, most marketing/CPG brand management opportunities are equal across all the top 20. additionally, marketing is not an area where the brand name of your school is going to make a big difference, and since it is not a typical "high income" field like MC, IB, PE, it makes a full ride that much more appealing - a lot fewer loans to deal with later on.

2012dreams"
That's not entirely true. What about schools that specialize in marketing? An MBA from marketing geared programs does make a big difference in marketing job opportunites. Further, Fuquoa is a much more reputable program than Kelley (Fuquoa is ranked top 10 by BW). But, I understand that a Fellowship is an additional plus for any program.

Good luck with your decision!
Manager
Manager

Re: Calling all Fall 2010 Consortium Applicants (merged) [#permalink] New post 16 Mar 2010, 10:15
2012dreams wrote:
gravity1914 wrote:

I'm actually looking to go into tech marketing...

My head is saying fuqua for a few reasons. I really did like the school and all the people I met. I know a lot more students and recent alums from fuqua, I like to proximity to home, like to overall atmosphere and have a lot of respect for the duke brand. I feel like it makes the most sense for me, my future career and overall "fit".

But :x .. I really like kelley also. I developed a great relationship with the faculty/ staff and I know that if I went there, they would provide a lot of personal attention to make sure that I have a good b-school experience. (that is my biggest draw)...and it would be on a full ride :roll:
Downside is of course the midwest location, most of the students I really know well are graduating in may and even though kelley has this reputation of being a top marketing school, they're nowhere to be found on the rankings lists... (i'm not a rankings junkie but I believe they should be a part of the consideration, otherwise I would've just gone to a low ranking bschool and saved myself all of this trouble)

http://www.testpreppractice.net/GMAT/mb ... kings.html
http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandr ... /marketing

I would be fine with either school but I'm making my final decision based on my visits for admitted student's weekend(s).

Anyone else having this dilemma?

Is membership in the consortium network equal to admittance to another prestigeous b-school (if the consortium school has a ""lesser" name/reputation/ranking)? Will I have to do extra leg work at a lesser "brand name" institution or will the scales be balanced by the orientation program?
Current Student
Schools: Wharton Class of 2012 w/ fellowship
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 56 [0], given: 12

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Fall 2010 Consortium Applicants (merged) [#permalink] New post 16 Mar 2010, 10:45
mbaTime wrote:
2012dreams"
That's not entirely true. What about schools that specialize in marketing? An MBA from marketing geared programs does make a big difference in marketing job opportunites. Further, Fuquoa is a much more reputable program than Kelley (Fuquoa is ranked top 10 by BW). But, I understand that a Fellowship is an additional plus for any program.

Good luck with your decision!

You don't need a school that has a strong specialization in marketing to get a good marketing position - plenty of people go to general management schools and still have access to the same opportunities, marketing is just not that cutthroat. Also, my advice was based on his reply that his heart said Kelley (I don't know where Kelley is ranked, I thought it was in the 20-25 range, maybe not), and he has a lot of $$ there, if he said he liked Fuqua more, my post would have never existed.

gravity1914 wrote:

My head is saying fuqua for a few reasons. I really did like the school and all the people I met. I know a lot more students and recent alums from fuqua, I like to proximity to home, like to overall atmosphere and have a lot of respect for the duke brand. I feel like it makes the most sense for me, my future career and overall "fit".

But :x .. I really like kelley also. I developed a great relationship with the faculty/ staff and I know that if I went there, they would provide a lot of personal attention to make sure that I have a good b-school experience. (that is my biggest draw)...and it would be on a full ride :roll:
Downside is of course the midwest location, most of the students I really know well are graduating in may and even though kelley has this reputation of being a top marketing school, they're nowhere to be found on the rankings lists... (i'm not a rankings junkie but I believe they should be a part of the consideration, otherwise I would've just gone to a low ranking bschool and saved myself all of this trouble)

that makes complete sense. you are in a great place with a dilemma most of us wish we could have. enjoy the admit weekends and good luck on your decision.

My story of an average chick who stumbled into the 700+ club
700-clubbers-add-your-name-to-the-list-64636-100.html#p600519
My 2009-2010 Application Decisions
2010-profiles-w-admit-dings-results-no-discussion-78475.html?view-post=600694#p600694

Last edited by 2012dreams on 16 Mar 2010, 10:48, edited 1 time in total.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: Michigan - Ross Class of 2012
WE 1: Marketing within Financial Services

Kudos [?]: 24 [1] , given: 9

Re: Calling all Fall 2010 Consortium Applicants (merged) [#permalink] New post 16 Mar 2010, 10:48
This post received
KUDOS
That's a tough one gravity1914.

Can't say I'm in exactly the same position but here are my thoughts, if you're going to be a rockstar at one top school, you'll be a rockstar at any. A recruiter will see that you're someone they want to hire regardless of where you go, as long as you have access to them. Some schools have built in access, organizations like the Consortium provide you access that students even in your own class at Indiana or wherever may not have access to.

Rankings can be important especially in selecting where to apply, but when you're playing at this level and have multiple acceptances, you're not going to make a bad decision. It's just a variation of how right the school can be for you as an individual.

Too many focus on going to a school that isn't the right fit for them just because they think it will be easier or because the brand is stronger even though they won't be as happy. Easy isn't always the best choice. You could blaze a trail and help Indiana become well known for tech marketing by helping recruit and making a name for Indiana where you end up for your internship and fulltime position. It can help you grow more and you'll be more happy. Plus these schools don't just end up being "Great" for one thing or another without students like ourselves to create that reputation and start that trend.

The mind is a funny thing. It can convince you that one school is "the best" for what you want even though you might not be as happy. Logic has it's role in the decision making process, but I feel that's in establishing your consideration set. Follow your heart now that you've narrowed it to a few fantastic options. Either way, you won't go wrong. Be happy.

I will step off my soap box, lol. Sorry for the long post.

Detailed Profile with Interviews/Dings/Admits: Go Here

Current Student

Re: Calling all Fall 2010 Consortium Applicants (merged) [#permalink] New post 16 Mar 2010, 11:04
gravity1914 wrote:
2012dreams wrote:
gravity1914 wrote:

http://www.testpreppractice.net/GMAT/mb ... kings.html
http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandr ... /marketing

I would be fine with either school but I'm making my final decision based on my visits for admitted student's weekend(s).

Anyone else having this dilemma?

Is membership in the consortium network equal to admittance to another prestigeous b-school (if the consortium school has a ""lesser" name/reputation/ranking)? Will I have to do extra leg work at a lesser "brand name" institution or will the scales be balanced by the orientation program?

Well my friend, I'm sure the decision will come to you once you attend admit weekends. Although I know you'll have a blast at BDW lol. Is it obvious which way I want you to go? lol
Current Student

Re: Calling all Fall 2010 Consortium Applicants (merged) [#permalink] New post 16 Mar 2010, 11:06
I love how supportive and family-like this board is!
Intern
Intern

Re: Calling all Fall 2010 Consortium Applicants (merged) [#permalink] New post 16 Mar 2010, 11:12
For those fretting over the decision, I'll tell you what I've heard from recent b-school graduates:

Every single one of the people I talked to said that debt is a HUGE factor post-business school. One had a full fellowship to a school in the 20-25 range and turned it down to pay full price at a top10 school; he says that in retrospect he would ABSOLUTELY take the full ride.

The choice comes down to this, according to them:

Will you be able to get the job you want by going to either of the choices?
Will you be forced to take a higher-paying job that you don't like in order to pay off school loans?

My friends have said that there is simply no comparison to being free and clear of debt upon leaving business school.

It's a good dilemma to have, but it'd be a heck of a lot easier if everyone offered the same money....
Re: Calling all Fall 2010 Consortium Applicants (merged)   [#permalink] 16 Mar 2010, 11:12