Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 10 Jul 2014, 01:46

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling all Fall 2010 Consortium Applicants (merged)

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Current Student
Schools: MIT (Sloan) - Class of 2012
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 6

Re: Calling all Fall 2010 Consortium Applicants (merged) [#permalink] New post 16 Mar 2010, 11:23
gravity1914 wrote:
2012dreams wrote:
gravity1914 wrote:
following my heart would lead me to hoosierville... my head is pointing to Blue Devil town.. :-D

if you enjoyed kelley, it is the right fit, and you have the fellowship, i would think very hard about turning down kelley for fuqua (this would be different if your heart was at fuqua). looking at your profile it says you have an interest in marketing, i say duke may have an edge in tech and health care marketing, but other than that, most marketing/CPG brand management opportunities are equal across all the top 20. additionally, marketing is not an area where the brand name of your school is going to make a big difference, and since it is not a typical "high income" field like MC, IB, PE, it makes a full ride that much more appealing - a lot fewer loans to deal with later on.

may i ask why your head is saying fuqua?

I'm actually looking to go into tech marketing...

My head is saying fuqua for a few reasons. I really did like the school and all the people I met. I know a lot more students and recent alums from fuqua, I like to proximity to home, like to overall atmosphere and have a lot of respect for the duke brand. I feel like it makes the most sense for me, my future career and overall "fit".

But :x .. I really like kelley also. I developed a great relationship with the faculty/ staff and I know that if I went there, they would provide a lot of personal attention to make sure that I have a good b-school experience. (that is my biggest draw)...and it would be on a full ride :roll:
Downside is of course the midwest location, most of the students I really know well are graduating in may and even though kelley has this reputation of being a top marketing school, they're nowhere to be found on the rankings lists... (i'm not a rankings junkie but I believe they should be a part of the consideration, otherwise I would've just gone to a low ranking bschool and saved myself all of this trouble)

http://www.testpreppractice.net/GMAT/mb ... kings.html
http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandr ... /marketing

I would be fine with either school but I'm making my final decision based on my visits for admitted student's weekend(s).

Anyone else having this dilemma?

Is membership in the consortium network equal to admittance to another prestigeous b-school (if the consortium school has a ""lesser" name/reputation/ranking)? Will I have to do extra leg work at a lesser "brand name" institution or will the scales be balanced by the orientation program?

I have been faced with a similar decision and have talked to a lot of people about it. Being Debt Free is nothing to scoff at, but neither is the opportunities afforded by a top tier institute.

Personally, take the advice I was given ... negotiate!!! I visited Duke's diversity weekend and an alum was faced with this same decision. He had the fellowship to UT, but really liked Duke. He told me he contacted the admissions people and expressed to them how much he wanted to go to Fuqua, but the money was a huge issue. They ended up significantly increasing his scholarship and he ended up leaving school debt free and very little out of pocket costs.

In particular, Duke knows they have to battle the consortium for top students. If they know that have to play ball ... I've been told they will. And this came directly from alumns and current students.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Schools: Indiana Kelley/Class of 2012/Full tuition $$
WE 1: Healthcare/Biomedical Research
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 3

Re: Calling all Fall 2010 Consortium Applicants (merged) [#permalink] New post 16 Mar 2010, 11:46
gravity1914 wrote:
I have been faced with a similar decision and have talked to a lot of people about it. Being Debt Free is nothing to scoff at, but neither is the opportunities afforded by a top tier institute.

Personally, take the advice I was given ... negotiate!!! I visited Duke's diversity weekend and an alum was faced with this same decision. He had the fellowship to UT, but really liked Duke. He told me he contacted the admissions people and expressed to them how much he wanted to go to Fuqua, but the money was a huge issue. They ended up significantly increasing his scholarship and he ended up leaving school debt free and very little out of pocket costs.

In particular, Duke knows they have to battle the consortium for top students. If they know that have to play ball ... I've been told they will. And this came directly from alumns and current students.

Interesting conversation brewing here. I agree with 2012dreams, What2Do15 and bschooler above. Ok, I admit I am biased cuz am headed to Kelley but valid points and a healthy exchange of ideas nonetheless...I can take this everyday :lol:

But on a serious note gravity1914, I'd say go with where your heart is at. We all know the value of top tier programs but the fact remains that a huge part of it depends on what YOU want. As many previous posters have noted, especially by 2012dreams, you should go where you "fit" in at. Kelley is BW#15 and Duke is BW#8. But if you think Kelley's your fit, you'd be better if you go there. Many top-15 grads will outdo many top-5 grads and vice versa. A lot of it depends on what you put into it, being honest with yourself and choosing an environment where you'd thrive. To illustrate, I turned down a medical school admit last year in lieu of an MBA and many of my friends thot I was nuts (until I got my Fellowship, may still thot I was out of my mind :lol: ). But I knew what I wanted and am going for it. Many consider an M.D as "top tier" than an MBA or a JD but I am going for what I'd be happy doing for the rest of my life. I will be happier as a multinational entrepreneur/global operations strategist than an Interventional Cardiologist.

You are lucky dude or duddete! Good luck deciding...

Leadership is not really about telling people what to do — a strategy that doesn't always work. It's about creating an environment where people can speak up, where we can get into debates without becoming confrontational or negative. [It's] about getting people to bring all of themselves to the table." - DuPont CEO Ellen Kullman; Kellogg '83

Intern
Intern
Schools: Ross (CGSM Fellow), Wash U Olin R2, Kelley R2, Tepper R2, Marshall R2
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Fall 2010 Consortium Applicants (merged) [#permalink] New post 16 Mar 2010, 11:48
@gravity: Sounds like Maxtor has some great advice. Good luck with that and I'd love to hear how that turns out.

@ Maxtor: Do you mind updating us on what your plans are? It looks like you have some great options?
Manager
Manager
Schools: Kellogg (Interviewed, ding) , Fuqua (Admit), HBS, Ross (WL) /Kelley (Admit) /McCombs (ding) - Consortium
WE 1: Technology Engineer

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Fall 2010 Consortium Applicants (merged) [#permalink] New post 16 Mar 2010, 12:22
I guess I should mention that I have no idea what fuqua is offering yet... I'm still waiting on the admit package (so this could all be moot if they offer me enough) but I can't help but wrestle with the possible scenarios in the meantime...

Thanks for all the advice and thoughts...

I'll update everyone on how things turn out.
Current Student

Re: Calling all Fall 2010 Consortium Applicants (merged) [#permalink] New post 16 Mar 2010, 13:36
What2Do15 wrote:
@ Maxtor: Do you mind updating us on what your plans are? It looks like you have some great options?

I will admit that the application process has been working out well so far. My Top 3 are MIT, Duke, and Stanford (although I like Ross and CMU). Pretty sure Stanford is a no go and leaning towards MIT, although currently trying to negotiate a bigger scholarship (got a partial)

Posted from my mobile device Image
Current Student

Re: Calling all Fall 2010 Consortium Applicants (merged) [#permalink] New post 16 Mar 2010, 14:03
gravity1914 wrote:
I guess I should mention that I have no idea what fuqua is offering yet... I'm still waiting on the admit package (so this could all be moot if they offer me enough) but I can't help but wrestle with the possible scenarios in the meantime...

Thanks for all the advice and thoughts...

I'll update everyone on how things turn out.

I'm waiting for mine too. Maybe I'll see you at Blue Devil Weekend.

Intern
Intern
Schools: NYU Stern 2012

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 4

Re: Calling all Fall 2010 Consortium Applicants (merged) [#permalink] New post 16 Mar 2010, 15:11
on the topic of $, does anyone know if schools offer partial fellowships? I received scholarships from some schools but can a school offer a partial fellowship?
Manager
Manager
Schools: Stanford, Haas, Stern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: Calling all Fall 2010 Consortium Applicants (merged) [#permalink] New post 17 Mar 2010, 05:41
seanyc wrote:
on the topic of $, does anyone know if schools offer partial fellowships? I received scholarships from some schools but can a school offer a partial fellowship?

Who do you negotiate the $$$ with. CGSM or the school?
Current Student
Schools: Michigan - Ross Class of 2012
WE 1: Marketing within Financial Services

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 9

Re: Calling all Fall 2010 Consortium Applicants (merged) [#permalink] New post 17 Mar 2010, 05:49
The school gives you the money.

Detailed Profile with Interviews/Dings/Admits: Go Here

Manager
Manager

Re: Calling all Fall 2010 Consortium Applicants (merged) [#permalink] New post 17 Mar 2010, 06:00
Really, I thought the fellowship funds come from the CGSM...
Current Student

Re: Calling all Fall 2010 Consortium Applicants (merged) [#permalink] New post 17 Mar 2010, 08:02
seanyc wrote:

I received a partial fellowship/scholarship, but it wasn't attached to the consortium. I do think that is completely independent of the consortium and usually happens when a school couldn't offer you the full-ride, but still really wants you to come. I've heard of people getting full fellowships outside of the consortium too, even though they applied through the consortium.

I had a friend who turned his partial into a full through some negotiations. Pretty much called and said "I'm going to *other consort school* because they have a full ride, even though I really really love your school. Can you help me". And they did ...
Manager
Manager

Re: Calling all Fall 2010 Consortium Applicants (merged) [#permalink] New post 17 Mar 2010, 08:09
maxtor wrote:
seanyc wrote:

I received a partial fellowship/scholarship, but it wasn't attached to the consortium. I do think that is completely independent of the consortium and usually happens when a school couldn't offer you the full-ride, but still really wants you to come. I've heard of people getting full fellowships outside of the consortium too, even though they applied through the consortium.

I had a friend who turned his partial into a full through some negotiations. Pretty much called and said "I'm going to *other consort school* because they have a full ride, even though I really really love your school. Can you help me". And they did ...

Thanks for the info.

Have you ever heard of anyone that was able to negotiate a scholorship without leveraging an offer at another school? I am asking becuase I only applied to Stern through the CGSM.

Thanks.
Intern
Intern

Re: Calling all Fall 2010 Consortium Applicants (merged) [#permalink] New post 17 Mar 2010, 08:17
Anyone received a fellowship's $$$ from Tepper?
Current Student

Re: Calling all Fall 2010 Consortium Applicants (merged) [#permalink] New post 17 Mar 2010, 08:32
MBAYear wrote:

No.

I actually emailed their Consortium rep who I got to know through their diversity weekends (and a few calls). Apparently Tepper refuses to say anything about the fellowship and wants you to wait on the consortium.

I love the school, but honestly this is real annoying. First, they are the last school to release decisions. While the video was cute, they were also the only school not to actual do calls (out of the consort ones I got admitted to). And, all the other schools told you themselves about your fellowship and membership. Since they have such a small class, I don't think it's asking too much.
Current Student

Re: Calling all Fall 2010 Consortium Applicants (merged) [#permalink] New post 17 Mar 2010, 08:43
mbaTime wrote:

Thanks for the info.

Have you ever heard of anyone that was able to negotiate a scholorship without leveraging an offer at another school? I am asking becuase I only applied to Stern through the CGSM.

Thanks.

I only know a few people personally who have done the negotiating and they had competing offers. At minimum though, I think you need to have come type of case. Some reason why you deserve the money. Hell, even just a regular admit from another school should suffice. If not that ... just ask. Worst you can get is a no.
Intern
Intern

Re: Calling all Fall 2010 Consortium Applicants (merged) [#permalink] New post 17 Mar 2010, 09:05
maxtor wrote:
MBAYear wrote:

No.

I actually emailed their Consortium rep who I got to know through their diversity weekends (and a few calls). Apparently Tepper refuses to say anything about the fellowship and wants you to wait on the consortium.

I love the school, but honestly this is real annoying. First, they are the last school to release decisions. While the video was cute, they were also the only school not to actual do calls (out of the consort ones I got admitted to). And, all the other schools told you themselves about your fellowship and membership. Since they have such a small class, I don't think it's asking too much.

Thanks for your answer. I have called the admission directly and received the same feedback...I don't understand why they prefer to proceed this way. From what I understood, the decision have been mailed on monday, so let's see what happens!
Manager
Manager
Schools: Indiana Kelley/Class of 2012/Full tuition $$
WE 1: Healthcare/Biomedical Research
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 3

Re: Calling all Fall 2010 Consortium Applicants (merged) [#permalink] New post 17 Mar 2010, 11:15
maxtor wrote:
mbaTime wrote:

Thanks for the info.

Thanks.

I only know a few people personally who have done the negotiating and they had competing offers. At minimum though, I think you need to have come type of case. Some reason why you deserve the money. Hell, even just a regular admit from another school should suffice. If not that ... just ask. Worst you can get is a no.

For all its worth, a fellow gmatclubber posted that s/he was admitted at Kelley, didn't get the Fellowship but was awarded a full tuition "Dean Scholarship". I dont know if s/he negotiated but I assume that something happened somewhere. I agree with maxtor that it's worth the try...

Leadership is not really about telling people what to do — a strategy that doesn't always work. It's about creating an environment where people can speak up, where we can get into debates without becoming confrontational or negative. [It's] about getting people to bring all of themselves to the table." - DuPont CEO Ellen Kullman; Kellogg '83

Manager
Manager

Re: Calling all Fall 2010 Consortium Applicants (merged) [#permalink] New post 17 Mar 2010, 11:42
Case2010 wrote:
maxtor wrote:
mbaTime wrote:

Thanks for the info.

Thanks.

For all its worth, a fellow gmatclubber posted that s/he was admitted at Kelley, didn't get the Fellowship but was awarded a full tuition "Dean Scholarship". I dont know if s/he negotiated but I assume that something happened somewhere. I agree with maxtor that it's worth the try...

Yeah thanks, negotiating is always fun.
Manager
Manager
Schools: USC(CGSM), NYU(Int), Texas(CGSM), Ross(CGSM), LBS(Int), Kellogg(Int,JDMBA)

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 14

Re: Calling all Fall 2010 Consortium Applicants (merged) [#permalink] New post 17 Mar 2010, 14:45
Anyone get anything in the mail from the Consortium today? I am guessing tomorrow and Friday will be the days.....
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: Michigan - Ross Class of 2012
WE 1: Marketing within Financial Services

Kudos [?]: 24 [1] , given: 9

Re: Calling all Fall 2010 Consortium Applicants (merged) [#permalink] New post 17 Mar 2010, 16:09
This post received
KUDOS
I got a call from Michigan the other night offering me the fellowship (Woohoo!).

On the call, he said that the letter's from the Consortium will be MAILED on 3/18. I'd love to have it sooner as I'm receiving other financial aid info but it looks like Saturday or Monday might be more realistic.

Detailed Profile with Interviews/Dings/Admits: Go Here

Re: Calling all Fall 2010 Consortium Applicants (merged)   [#permalink] 17 Mar 2010, 16:09