Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Oct 2014, 21:14

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling all Fall 2010 Consortium Applicants (merged)

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Current Student
Schools: Kellogg,Columbia,Duke, Wharton,Cornell,NYU,Ross
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 1

Re: Calling all Fall 2010 Consortium Applicants (merged) [#permalink] New post 22 Mar 2010, 20:48
theoutlawfades wrote:
idcandy wrote:
snowrider1234 wrote:
Is anyone deciding between attending Ross with CSGM fellowship and Stern? If so, what are your deciding factors in pushing you toward one school or the other?

drmang7 and I are both also facing the same decision.

In the end, Ross has an answer for almost every argument I can make for NYU. For me, the academic experience is the only "big" difference, and while Stern offers more specialized learning, Ross offers renowned broad wholistic learning. To be honest, when I first began my application process, I had ranked Ross first, but by the time I finished, I had been sold on Stern's specialized learning, and ranked them first instead. If they were both the same price, I'd probably be choosing Stern, but when I ask myself if the Stern's specialized learning is worth paying so much more money (both in terms of tuition/fees and cost of living difference)...let's just say I'm having trouble convincing myself that it is.

Completely agree with you. I feel the exact same way. I even started with NYU at #1 but after visiting Ross, it shot up in my book to compete for that top spot.

As idcandy mentioned, I am also in the exact same predicament. For me, the biggest factor is not having debt. If you flew to NYC every weekend for an internship/job search for 2 years, it would still cost less than 100k. Though this is an extreme example, it gets the point across, that we can have enormous flexibility when it comes to finding a job.

Stern was my #1 as well. I wonder why so many people are in our boat. Did Stern give out very few fellowships? I honestly am surprised at the number of people who got CGSM fellowships at Ross. Mainly this is because Ross is a great great school and has enormous prestige in the midwest. Not to say NYU isn't fantastic as well, but regionally and possibly nationally I think Ross takes the cake here.

PM me if you 3 want to start a more in-depth discussion. I'll be at the GBR as well.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Schools: Indiana Kelley/Class of 2012/Full tuition $$
WE 1: Healthcare/Biomedical Research
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 3

Re: Calling all Fall 2010 Consortium Applicants (merged) [#permalink] New post 23 Mar 2010, 04:34
It's Tuesday and given the hoopla last week about the official Consortium letters, I am a bit surprised that very few people (regulars/lurkers) have posted receiving theirs. Are folks still waiting/too relieved to post anything/already too busy preparing for OP?

Leadership is not really about telling people what to do — a strategy that doesn't always work. It's about creating an environment where people can speak up, where we can get into debates without becoming confrontational or negative. [It's] about getting people to bring all of themselves to the table." - DuPont CEO Ellen Kullman; Kellogg '83

Intern
Intern
Schools: USC, Columbia, NYU, UCLA, Stanford
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Fall 2010 Consortium Applicants (merged) [#permalink] New post 23 Mar 2010, 06:10
Lurker here...

I too am a little disappointed that there hasn't been more confirmation on receiving anything from the Consortium.

I am one of those admitted to Stern whose admittance package was a bit lighter than I was hoping and am chomping at the bit to hear something from the Consortium (although I am sensing that I am probably not a fellow)

Is anyone else feeling a little beaten up by this whole process? I mean, for how much money and effort we put in on the front end between the app fees, school visits, essays, testing, informational interviewing, etc... I was hoping for a little more than lofty (at times, completely false) expectations on when I would get complete decisions from schools. While I am amped to be accepted, I am a little underwhelmed also!
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Fall 2010 Consortium Applicants (merged) [#permalink] New post 23 Mar 2010, 06:19
Hi all! I received the Consortium letter in the mail yesterday! It's official, I'll be attending Kelley in the fall. This process has been long and tumultuous. At times, I felt like giving up on the whole thing, but I'm a true believer in "everything happens for a reason." For those still waiting, don't lose hope. I believe some folks recieved letters on Friday and I got mine yesterday. You too, can still receive the confirmation letter shortly. The letter was dated March 16th but I know it did not go out on that day.
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Alpha Phi Omega, Golden Key, Phi Kappa Phi
Schools: Ross (CGSM), Maryland, Columbia, CGSM: Stern, Darden, Cornell
WE 1: Software/Product Dev (3 yrs)
WE 2: Patent Drafting/Prosecution (1 yr)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 5

Re: Calling all Fall 2010 Consortium Applicants (merged) [#permalink] New post 23 Mar 2010, 06:35
drmang7 wrote:
I wonder why so many people are in our boat. Did Stern give out very few fellowships? I honestly am surprised at the number of people who got CGSM fellowships at Ross. Mainly this is because Ross is a great great school and has enormous prestige in the midwest. Not to say NYU isn't fantastic as well, but regionally and possibly nationally I think Ross takes the cake here.

This is entirely speculation, but...I wonder if Ross is just in a better financial situation in the current economy. I read somewhere (sorry, I can't find the link now) that Ross has one of the largest endowments of any US business school (public or private) - according to BW, the endowment is $316 million.

On the other hand, I wonder if money has gotten tighter at Stern lately, especially - since there are so many Sternies in finance - if a relatively large proportion of their finance-industry alumns have suffered layoffs or paycuts in the last couple of years...again, this is just wild speculation, but every time I hear of another CGSM applicant who ranked Stern higher than the school that offered them the fellowship, I feel there might be some truth to it.

Or, Stern could just give out less fellowships :-P

I'm officially a Terperine!

Last edited by idcandy on 23 Mar 2010, 09:43, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Schools: Ross (CGSM Fellow), Wash U Olin R2, Kelley R2, Tepper R2, Marshall R2

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Fall 2010 Consortium Applicants (merged) [#permalink] New post 23 Mar 2010, 07:27
I also received my letter from the Consortium. It is official, I'm headed to Ross. I am now awaiting the arrival of my Ross info binder. I expect it via UPS within the next few hours. After I square that away, I can begin gearing up for my trip to Ann Arbor (GBR) and then OP. Good luck to all and I look forward to catching up with many of you very soon.
Intern
Intern
Schools: NYU Stern 2012

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 4

Re: Calling all Fall 2010 Consortium Applicants (merged) [#permalink] New post 23 Mar 2010, 07:39
I sent my deposit to Stern....anyone else headed to a school w/o a fellowship? I feel like i'm the only one :?
Manager
Manager

Re: Calling all Fall 2010 Consortium Applicants (merged) [#permalink] New post 23 Mar 2010, 07:46
:-D
illbefine2010 wrote:
Lurker here...

I too am a little disappointed that there hasn't been more confirmation on receiving anything from the Consortium.

Ok maybe I am getting this all wrong. But how will a self-described luker, a bona fide resident of "Lukerville" be "disappointed" about reduced traffic here? You see, maybe a few folks decided to move to 123 W. Main Street, Lukerville, a block away from yours :lol: . The below is a funny rant on another gmatclub forum :-D :
quantjock wrote:
ok. warning. rant to follow:

is anyone else annoyed-to-pissedoff about the late posters in your bschool threads? im starting to see some and im expecting therell be alot more of them in the coming days. the ones that show up just before final decisions come out? or even worse the day of or the day after w/ an admit? specifically the ones that profess to be long time lurkers? that dont contribute sht to the thread in terms of knowledge, pain or laughter? that dont even fill out their profile so they can at least be remotely useful? who just think they can just browse through and soak up our collective knowledge for no price of admission?

i say they should get their posts **expletive** deleted. do us a favor selfish newbies, stay wherever you were as an observer during our collective bschool process (it is the internet after all) but cry or rejoice in your own obscurity thank you very much. to the people that actually just found us, welcome and please fill out your side profile.

ok. this PSA is done.

Not that it applies to lurkers here :lol: but wouldn't it be nice if all lurkers post more....

Leadership is not really about telling people what to do — a strategy that doesn't always work. It's about creating an environment where people can speak up, where we can get into debates without becoming confrontational or negative. [It's] about getting people to bring all of themselves to the table." - DuPont CEO Ellen Kullman; Kellogg '83

Intern
Intern

Re: Calling all Fall 2010 Consortium Applicants (merged) [#permalink] New post 23 Mar 2010, 08:20
What2Do15 wrote:
I also received my letter from the Consortium. It is official, I'm headed to Ross. I am now awaiting the arrival of my Ross info binder. I expect it via UPS within the next few hours. After I square that away, I can begin gearing up for my trip to Ann Arbor (GBR) and then OP. Good luck to all and I look forward to catching up with many of you very soon.

I just received my information binder from Ross. Good looking material. I guess the company that they outsourced the work to deserves some props.
Current Student
Schools: MIT (Sloan) - Class of 2012

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 6

Re: Calling all Fall 2010 Consortium Applicants (merged) [#permalink] New post 23 Mar 2010, 09:33
Received my information from the Consortium. As I was expecting, I got the fellowship to Carnegie Mellon.

I am a little conflicted, but pretty sure. I think I am going to turn it down for MIT, but its hard to actually tell someone you would prefer to pay for school instead of taking a full ride ... but I going to MIT has been a dream of mine since undergrad (Software Background).
Manager
Manager

Re: Calling all Fall 2010 Consortium Applicants (merged) [#permalink] New post 23 Mar 2010, 09:41
maxtor wrote:
Received my information from the Consortium. As I was expecting, I got the fellowship to Carnegie Mellon.

I am a little conflicted, but pretty sure. I think I am going to turn it down for MIT, but its hard to actually tell someone you would prefer to pay for school instead of taking a full ride ... but I going to MIT has been a dream of mine since undergrad (Software Background).

Go with your dreams bro! Do what you'd love to do. You'd never regret it! Congrats :-D

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Fall 2010 Consortium Applicants (merged) [#permalink] New post 23 Mar 2010, 10:02
I've been reading some of the responses and I can agree with so many of you about all the confusion.

I'm fortunate to have been accepted to 3 out of the 4 schools to which I applied. I received the Consortium fellowship for my #1 school. However, my #2 (which is actually ranked higher nationally) has come in with a competitive offer. Though it's not a full ride, it offers some unique opportunities for leadership.

Any advice? I've been trying to make sense of all of this - and while I feel that leaving the MBA near debt-free is important, having the long-term access to a wider national network and more recognized "stamp" will make up for the stress from these loans. Please help. :cry: :?:
Manager
Manager

Re: Calling all Fall 2010 Consortium Applicants (merged) [#permalink] New post 23 Mar 2010, 10:42
mbahopeful2010 wrote:
I've been reading some of the responses and I can agree with so many of you about all the confusion.

I'm fortunate to have been accepted to 3 out of the 4 schools to which I applied. I received the Consortium fellowship for my #1 school. However, my #2 (which is actually ranked higher nationally) has come in with a competitive offer. Though it's not a full ride, it offers some unique opportunities for leadership.

Any advice? I've been trying to make sense of all of this - and while I feel that leaving the MBA near debt-free is important, having the long-term access to a wider national network and more recognized "stamp" will make up for the stress from these loans. Please help. :cry: :?:

Do you mind mentioning the names of the schools? That will be helpful in helping you....

Current Student
Schools: Michigan - Ross Class of 2012
WE 1: Marketing within Financial Services

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 9

Re: Calling all Fall 2010 Consortium Applicants (merged) [#permalink] New post 23 Mar 2010, 10:50
mbahopeful2010 wrote:

What schools are you deciding between? Are you talking ranked higher nationally by one spot or by multiple spots? Also, what are your career ambitions? Some schools while better ranked nationally, may not be the right fit for your desired career path.

Any info you can provide will help those who would like to respond give you better advice. Thanks! :-)

Detailed Profile with Interviews/Dings/Admits: Go Here

Intern
Intern
Schools: Indiana University - Kelley School of Business Class of 2012

Re: Calling all Fall 2010 Consortium Applicants (merged) [#permalink] New post 24 Mar 2010, 04:20
For roll call purposes, I'm off the waitlist at Ross and I'm in!
Intern
Intern

Re: Calling all Fall 2010 Consortium Applicants (merged) [#permalink] New post 24 Mar 2010, 05:26
@ Undecided: CONGRATS!! I'm sure that's a great feeling. Ross does an outstanding job of connecting the admitted students to other incoming students as well as resources needed during matriculation. Enjoy.

So does that seal the deal for you? Hope to see you at GBR.

Posted from my mobile device Image
Intern
Intern

Re: Calling all Fall 2010 Consortium Applicants (merged) [#permalink] New post 24 Mar 2010, 05:41
I wish it did seal the deal but unfortunately I didn't receive any money from them. So, for right now I'm leaning towards Indiana from whom I received the consortium fellowship. And just my luck their admit weekends are the same weekend.
Intern
Intern

Re: Calling all Fall 2010 Consortium Applicants (merged) [#permalink] New post 24 Mar 2010, 07:15
undecided2012 wrote:
I wish it did seal the deal but unfortunately I didn't receive any money from them. So, for right now I'm leaning towards Indiana from whom I received the consortium fellowship. And just my luck their admit weekends are the same weekend.

Oh wow. Yeah, that does cramp you up. Obviously I can't decide for you, but I will say that from what I know, Kelley is a great program. I got dinged there so I can't give you much personal insight, but like Ross it has a great reputation in the midwest. Also, the idea of leaving school debt free (or close to it) was a big deal for me. I'm at a place where I want to hit the ground running after school and maybe even start a business, so shaking the debt is important. Congrats on the admit to Ross, but a full ride at Kelley can compete with almost any offer out there. Either way, I'm sure we'll cross paths at OP, or Ross in the fall if you decided to make that move. Good luck and enjoy the process.
Intern
Intern

Re: Calling all Fall 2010 Consortium Applicants (merged) [#permalink] New post 24 Mar 2010, 07:21
Exactly! Both are great programs, but having full tuition at Indiana and UNC, not sure I could pass up either for the brand recognition of Ross (as much as I love them). Especially since I want to go into marketing, Indiana is awesome. So, I'll definitely see you at OP. Have fun at GBR!
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Fall 2010 Consortium Applicants (merged) [#permalink] New post 24 Mar 2010, 13:22
Anyone else out there still waiting to hear from Darden?
Re: Calling all Fall 2010 Consortium Applicants (merged)   [#permalink] 24 Mar 2010, 13:22