Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 17 Sep 2014, 09:34

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling all Fall 2010 Consortium Applicants (merged)

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Fall 2010 Consortium Applicants (merged) [#permalink] New post 24 Mar 2010, 17:18
onlyneed1 wrote:
Anyone else out there still waiting to hear from Darden?

You are not alone. I'm still waiting on both Darden and Stern. Anyone on here waiting to hear from Stern?
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Alpha Phi Omega, Golden Key, Phi Kappa Phi
Schools: Ross (CGSM), Maryland, Columbia, CGSM: Stern, Darden, Cornell
WE 1: Software/Product Dev (3 yrs)
WE 2: Patent Drafting/Prosecution (1 yr)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 5

Re: Calling all Fall 2010 Consortium Applicants (merged) [#permalink] New post 24 Mar 2010, 19:40
onlyneed1 wrote:
Anyone else out there still waiting to hear from Darden?
I am. When I interviewed, I was told to expect a decision on March 26th. I've heard that they called their CGSM Fellows last week (presumably so they would hear it from Darden before receiving the Consortium's mailing), but I am not sure whether any of the non-fellowship CGSM applicants have heard from Darden yet. If you haven't been invited to interview, the website says specifically that interview invitations can go out up until March 26th.

wellsee44 wrote:
You are not alone. I'm still waiting on both Darden and Stern. Anyone on here waiting to hear from Stern?
There seem to be a number of people still waiting to hear from Stern (check out the Calling all NYU Fall 2010 applicants thread. The Round 2 initial notification - including invitation to interview - deadline is April 1st.

Good luck to you both! I'll be rooting for you!

I'm officially a Terperine!

Intern
Intern

Re: Calling all Fall 2010 Consortium Applicants (merged) [#permalink] New post 24 Mar 2010, 22:12
Hmmm....here are the choices:
Indiana Cornell Michigan

Career goals: social enterprise, general mgmt, marketing

Last edited by mbahopeful2010 on 25 Mar 2010, 14:24, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager

Re: Calling all Fall 2010 Consortium Applicants (merged) [#permalink] New post 25 Mar 2010, 04:02
I am on the same boat.

Waiting on NYU, Darden, Tuck, and HBS!!!

My hair is becoming gray from the wait, i have grown a bear, and feel like Scrooge McDuck, during his thinking walks..

Remember the money bin, and his walks around the Auguste Rodin's thinking man aka Dante. Well you get the picture.

But congrats to everyone else that is finally in.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Fall 2010 Consortium Applicants (merged) [#permalink] New post 25 Mar 2010, 07:29
ibrokeit007 wrote:
I am on the same boat.

Waiting on NYU, Darden, Tuck, and HBS!!!

My hair is becoming gray from the wait, i have grown a bear, and feel like Scrooge McDuck, during his thinking walks..

Remember the money bin, and his walks around the Auguste Rodin's thinking man aka Dante. Well you get the picture.

But congrats to everyone else that is finally in.

News from the Darden blog: Calls are currently going out.
Manager
Manager

Re: Calling all Fall 2010 Consortium Applicants (merged) [#permalink] New post 25 Mar 2010, 08:36
what....

for real... all of these schools need to keep up with the days they promise... although it would be nice to get a call...

I just check my status online... no change...
Current Student
Schools: Michigan - Ross Class of 2012
WE 1: Marketing within Financial Services

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 9

Re: Calling all Fall 2010 Consortium Applicants (merged) [#permalink] New post 25 Mar 2010, 12:43
ibrokeit007 wrote:
what....

for real... all of these schools need to keep up with the days they promise... although it would be nice to get a call...

Darden does the status changes all at the same time at midnight. The calls start rolling earlier than the update.

Detailed Profile with Interviews/Dings/Admits: Go Here

Manager
Manager

Re: Calling all Fall 2010 Consortium Applicants (merged) [#permalink] New post 25 Mar 2010, 13:06
ibrokeit007 wrote:

Could someone please post/pm me with the website where we can check our status? I don't think I have it.

(I'm asking here since I applied through CGSM and am not sure if it would be the same for Darden's general applicants.)

Thanks!

Current Student

Re: Calling all Fall 2010 Consortium Applicants (merged) [#permalink] New post 25 Mar 2010, 13:06
mbahopeful2010 wrote:
Hmmm....here are the choices:
Indiana - full ride; Cornell - half; Michigan - partial

Career goals: social enterprise, general mgmt, marketing

I take it you're deciding between Indiana and Cornell? Or is Michigan still in the mix for you with only a partial scholarship?

Personally, I would go with your gut. You obviously ranked Indiana #1 for a reason. Your career goals as stated are a little vague but all 3 are great schools so you won't go wrong either way. Here's the way I see your possible career paths and which schools might be best, but all of them will help you get to where you want to go. Just one person's opinion, so take it with a grain of salt.

Social enterprise - Cornell
Gen Mgt - Michigan
Marketing - Indiana or Michigan

The experience at all 3 might be very different. All 3 are college towns but teaching styles, depth of current students interested in similar career paths, and the quality (note, I didn't say quantity) of alumni in your desired field can vary greatly depending on what you want to do with your career. Make sure you take a look at the companies recruiting at the schools and where students get jobs/internships for the last couple years. That might help guide your decision making. Good luck deciding!

Current Student
Schools: Kellogg,Columbia,Duke, Wharton,Cornell,NYU,Ross
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 1

Re: Calling all Fall 2010 Consortium Applicants (merged) [#permalink] New post 25 Mar 2010, 13:07
How lame is it that we have to share a room with a complete stranger during the Consortium OP? I think it's lame.
Current Student

Re: Calling all Fall 2010 Consortium Applicants (merged) [#permalink] New post 25 Mar 2010, 13:09
idcandy wrote:
ibrokeit007 wrote:

Could someone please post/pm me with the website where we can check our status? I don't think I have it.

(I'm asking here since I applied through CGSM and am not sure if it would be the same for Darden's general applicants.)

Thanks!

I think it's the link below from my round 1 email:
https://darden-admissions.symplicity.com

Same as all Darden applicants.

Manager
Manager

Re: Calling all Fall 2010 Consortium Applicants (merged) [#permalink] New post 25 Mar 2010, 13:27
theoutlawfades wrote:
idcandy wrote:
ibrokeit007 wrote:

Thanks!

I think it's the link below from my round 1 email:
https://darden-admissions.symplicity.com

Same as all Darden applicants.

Oh, I did have that :oops: Thanks!

Manager
Manager

Re: Calling all Fall 2010 Consortium Applicants (merged) [#permalink] New post 25 Mar 2010, 13:27
drmang7 wrote:
How lame is it that we have to share a room with a complete stranger during the Consortium OP? I think it's lame.

Do we really?! I haven't read the manual yet, but that is surprising.

Current Student
Schools: Kellogg,Columbia,Duke, Wharton,Cornell,NYU,Ross

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 1

Re: Calling all Fall 2010 Consortium Applicants (merged) [#permalink] New post 25 Mar 2010, 19:00
idcandy wrote:
drmang7 wrote:

Yes, we do. I was going to bring my significant other down so she could enjoy the pool, florida sun, shops, etc., but no more. I am quite surprised by this. Seems like an odd place to cut down on expenses, right?
Manager
Manager
Schools: Indiana Kelley/Class of 2012/Full tuition $$
WE 1: Healthcare/Biomedical Research
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 3

Re: Calling all Fall 2010 Consortium Applicants (merged) [#permalink] New post 25 Mar 2010, 20:47
drmang7 wrote:
idcandy wrote:
drmang7 wrote:

Yes, we do. I was going to bring my significant other down so she could enjoy the pool, florida sun, shops, etc., but no more. I am quite surprised by this. Seems like an odd place to cut down on expenses, right?

Ok, let me get this right, you got full tuition $$ to a top tier program, C membership, OP at a 5 star hotel where you can walk away to school with an internship in your back pocket, free flight (up to $200) AND you are complianing that you are sharing a room? Wow! No qualms on my end...

Posted from my mobile device Image

Leadership is not really about telling people what to do — a strategy that doesn't always work. It's about creating an environment where people can speak up, where we can get into debates without becoming confrontational or negative. [It's] about getting people to bring all of themselves to the table." - DuPont CEO Ellen Kullman; Kellogg '83

Current Student
Schools: MIT (Sloan) - Class of 2012

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 6

Re: Calling all Fall 2010 Consortium Applicants (merged) [#permalink] New post 25 Mar 2010, 20:50
drmang7 wrote:
idcandy wrote:
drmang7 wrote:

I'm not surprised. Most diversity weekends I attended and admit weekends that actually put me in a hotel (only one that I know of though) have given me hotels. I do find it funny because we aren't in undergrad anymore ... but I guess we all have the option to afford our own hotel at this point.

I would call the consortium though ... they might have some discount rate for you.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 36

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Fall 2010 Consortium Applicants (merged) [#permalink] New post 25 Mar 2010, 21:57
sorry if this question has already been answered, but this thread is 38 pages long and i didn't have time to search the whole thing. am i eligible to apply through the consortium if i am female, but not one of those underrepresented minority groups? i tried looking on their website, but it was really vague about who qualifies.

quote from the website:

Quote:
After 1970, in keeping with the progressive philosophy on which the organization was founded, the mission evolved to include women and, shortly thereafter, Hispanic Americans and Native Americans.

thank you for your reply!
Manager
Manager

Re: Calling all Fall 2010 Consortium Applicants (merged) [#permalink] New post 25 Mar 2010, 22:40
Case2010 wrote:
Ok, let me get this right, you got full tuition $$ to a top tier program, C membership, OP at a 5 star hotel where you can walk away to school with an internship in your back pocket, free flight (up to $200) AND you are complianing that you are sharing a room? Wow! No qualms on my end...
No complaints; just surprised. Some people are not comfortable sharing a room with a stranger. (Heck, some people are not comfortable sharing a room with a good friend!)

However, I didn't realize they were paying for the flight and hotel (hadn't read through the form/manual). That's very generous! I thought we were going to be responsible for the costs of travel and lodging. (Also didn't know about the interview opportunities at OP!)

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 8 [1] , given: 5

Re: Calling all Fall 2010 Consortium Applicants (merged) [#permalink] New post 25 Mar 2010, 22:47
This post received
KUDOS
username123 wrote:
sorry if this question has already been answered, but this thread is 38 pages long and i didn't have time to search the whole thing. am i eligible to apply through the consortium if i am female, but not one of those underrepresented minority groups? i tried looking on their website, but it was really vague about who qualifies.
Hello username123. Generally speaking, you need only be a US citizen or US permanent resident to be eligible. I've actually met someone who applied to at least 3 Consortium schools, but did not apply through the Consortium because she did not think she was eligible, so it is good to know.

More specifically, the requirements are thus:

CGSM Application Instructions wrote:
Prospective applicants who meet all of the following requirements are eligible to apply through The Consortium:
1. African Americans, Hispanic Americans, Native Americans, or U.S. citizens or U.S. permanent residents of any race or ethnicity
2. Demonstrate a commitment to The Consortium’s mission of helping to reduce the serious underrepresentation of African Americans, Hispanic Americans and Native Americans in both our member schools’ enrollments and the ranks of management
3. Hold a four-year bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university in the U.S. or an equivalent degree from a foreign country

Good luck with your applications!

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 36

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Fall 2010 Consortium Applicants (merged) [#permalink] New post 26 Mar 2010, 00:00
thanks for your reply, idcandy!

from what you posted, it looks like anyone can apply, but urm and non-urm "special cases that help urm's greatly" will be favored.

has anyone heard of any "non-special case" people slipping through? such as a female who has a few EC's (nothing spectacular) that help urm's...

just wondering if it would be worth my time to apply. there are a few member schools that are ranked around 5-8 on my list of schools under consideration.
Re: Calling all Fall 2010 Consortium Applicants (merged)   [#permalink] 26 Mar 2010, 00:00