Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 26 Jul 2014, 11:18

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling all Fall 2010 Consortium Applicants (merged)

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Schools: Indiana Kelley/Class of 2012/Full tuition $$
WE 1: Healthcare/Biomedical Research
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 3

Re: Calling all Fall 2010 Consortium Applicants (merged) [#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2010, 06:06
ibrokeit007 wrote:
Case2010 keep on crossing those finger for me... otherwise you will be writing my essays next fall... ;-)

You got it bro: fingers remain crossed. Heck, I am willing to help with writing any R3 essays this year if you are exploring that option...

2012dreams wrote:
do schools reallocate turned down fellowships? like everyone else, i'm really surprised about the low number of fellowships coming from stern, both between here and in my personal network, i only know of two people being offered the fellowship, one i am certain will get into HBS and therefore turn it down. it just seems like many of the people who really want to attend stern were not offered the fellowship or any other compensation.

in any case, i wanted to wish everyone good luck at OP (I definitely wouldn't complain about sharing a room, although I guess I've never had hangups about that) I'm sad that I will miss this networking opportunity with peers (especially my minority peers across various schools) and companies, hopefully we will cross paths during our internships, at NBMBAA/NSHMBA, various conferences, or other cross-school events.

I assume you are taking the Wharton offer? Congrats! Theirs is a terrific program and am sure you'd have a blast! If however, Stern re-allocates a fellowship to you, are you willing to switch your allegiance to NYU? If so, I'd say a call and strong negotiations (with tactful mention of your other offers) might be in order...at least to put your name on the top of the list for re-allocated fellowship funds...

Leadership is not really about telling people what to do — a strategy that doesn't always work. It's about creating an environment where people can speak up, where we can get into debates without becoming confrontational or negative. [It's] about getting people to bring all of themselves to the table." - DuPont CEO Ellen Kullman; Kellogg '83

Current Student
Schools: Kellogg,Columbia,Duke, Wharton,Cornell,NYU,Ross
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 1

Re: Calling all Fall 2010 Consortium Applicants (merged) [#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2010, 09:52
Looks like I am going to have to turn down the Consortium fellowship at Ross. I'll officially withdraw shortly. Hopefully this frees up funds for someone out there.

I wish I could just give it to someone on this forum.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Fall 2010 Consortium Applicants (merged) [#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2010, 10:45
Case2010 Bro,

I was hoping to get in this year, but my chances are growing smaller by the minute. When i log in to Tuck's website this morning and saw my rejection letter.

Nonetheless, I have three more school that i am waiting for; lets hope that one of those school pays get me an acceptance letter!!!

If not we will def. have our intense essay writing sessions this summer bro. Where are you?
Manager
Manager

Re: Calling all Fall 2010 Consortium Applicants (merged) [#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2010, 11:03
drmang7 wrote:
Looks like I am going to have to turn down the Consortium fellowship at Ross. I'll officially withdraw shortly. Hopefully this frees up funds for someone out there

So where are you headed to then?

Leadership is not really about telling people what to do — a strategy that doesn't always work. It's about creating an environment where people can speak up, where we can get into debates without becoming confrontational or negative. [It's] about getting people to bring all of themselves to the table." - DuPont CEO Ellen Kullman; Kellogg '83

1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: Kellogg,Columbia,Duke, Wharton,Cornell,NYU,Ross
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 10 [1] , given: 1

Re: Calling all Fall 2010 Consortium Applicants (merged) [#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2010, 11:26
This post received
KUDOS
Case2010 wrote:
drmang7 wrote:
Looks like I am going to have to turn down the Consortium fellowship at Ross. I'll officially withdraw shortly. Hopefully this frees up funds for someone out there

So where are you headed to then?

Looks like Wharton for me. Just can't turn it down.
Current Student
Schools: Wharton Class of 2012 w/ fellowship
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 56 [0], given: 12

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Fall 2010 Consortium Applicants (merged) [#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2010, 11:48
drmang7 wrote:

that's pretty much my plan unless i can fight my way off the waitlist at kellogg

My story of an average chick who stumbled into the 700+ club
700-clubbers-add-your-name-to-the-list-64636-100.html#p600519
My 2009-2010 Application Decisions
2010-profiles-w-admit-dings-results-no-discussion-78475.html?view-post=600694#p600694

Current Student
Schools: MIT (Sloan) - Class of 2012

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 6

Re: Calling all Fall 2010 Consortium Applicants (merged) [#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2010, 12:14
2012dreams wrote:
drmang7 wrote:

that's pretty much my plan unless i can fight my way off the waitlist at kellogg

I met someone from MLT recently who said they have had a lot of people successfully fight their way off of Kellogg's waitlist. He was in the same position and is afraid he might have to sacrifice a deposit.
Current Student

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Fall 2010 Consortium Applicants (merged) [#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2010, 12:40
maxtor wrote:

I met someone from MLT recently who said they have had a lot of people successfully fight their way off of Kellogg's waitlist. He was in the same position and is afraid he might have to sacrifice a deposit.

Yea, I know of a few people who have and I also have some "connections" (couldn't think of another word), so I will try, the only thing is, I hope that there is an opportunity for me to apply for grant/fellowship money.

2010-profiles-w-admit-dings-results-no-discussion-78475.html?view-post=600694#p600694

Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Alpha Phi Omega, Golden Key, Phi Kappa Phi
Schools: Ross (CGSM), Maryland, Columbia, CGSM: Stern, Darden, Cornell
WE 1: Software/Product Dev (3 yrs)
WE 2: Patent Drafting/Prosecution (1 yr)

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 5

Re: Calling all Fall 2010 Consortium Applicants (merged) [#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2010, 12:56
drmang7 wrote:

Congratulations!

I'm officially a Terperine!

Director
Director
Affiliations: Consortium (CGSM.org), NSHMBA
Schools: Yale SOM Class of 2012
WE 1: Investment Banking Summer Associate (Boutique tech M&A)
Followers: 35

Kudos [?]: 213 [0], given: 111

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: Calling all Fall 2010 Consortium Applicants (merged) [#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2010, 14:07
drmang7 wrote:
Looks like I am going to have to turn down the Consortium fellowship at Ross. I'll officially withdraw shortly. Hopefully this frees up funds for someone out there.

I wish I could just give it to someone on this forum.

congrats on getting into wharton. just a general comment since i know a few people in this thread are in your same position (consortium fellowship at school X vs. attending non consortium school Y):

it's been said many times on this thread, but in the end you should go to the school you feel the best connection at. not the school that gives you the most money. not the school that is ranked higher. not the school that gives you tons of free gifts in their admission packages. all that stuff is secondary, but in the end, if you think you'd be happier at school X over school Y (even if school Y is giving you tons of money), then you should go with your heart, or your gut, or whatever other body part you listen to. i think you'll have great opportunities pretty much at any school you choose.

GMAT Debrief

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Current Student
Schools: Michigan - Ross Class of 2012
WE 1: Marketing within Financial Services

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 9

Re: Calling all Fall 2010 Consortium Applicants (merged) [#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2010, 14:29
shadowsjc wrote:
congrats on getting into wharton. just a general comment since i know a few people in this thread are in your same position (consortium fellowship at school X vs. attending non consortium school Y):

it's been said many times on this thread, but in the end you should go to the school you feel the best connection at. not the school that gives you the most money. not the school that is ranked higher. not the school that gives you tons of free gifts in their admission packages. all that stuff is secondary, but in the end, if you think you'd be happier at school X over school Y (even if school Y is giving you tons of money), then you should go with your heart, or your gut, or whatever other body part you listen to. i think you'll have great opportunities pretty much at any school you choose.

Well, if they give you some REALLY cool stuff in their admission packages, it might sway me...j/k

Completely agree shadowsjc. Just glad to see so many people in this forum are finding themselves with great options.

Detailed Profile with Interviews/Dings/Admits: Go Here

Manager
Manager

Re: Calling all Fall 2010 Consortium Applicants (merged) [#permalink] New post 30 Mar 2010, 05:40
shadowsjc wrote:
...you should go with your heart, or your gut, or whatever other body part you listen to.

:-D shadowsjc, I totally agree with your post. But I couldn't help but laugh at the above....So given that I am male, I wonder what "body part" I listen to per "conventional wisdom"? :lol: :lol:

So how about we start today on a lighter mode, shall we? (afterall, it been somewhat a tense few months :lol: ) Lets look at this from another angle, and lets see if bloggers here represent the "conventional" assumptions of what we as dudes vs dudetts think (the reality might be different) we listen to: head (and I mean the one sitting on top of your neck :-D ), gut or heart (whatever these variables mean to you, you can explain in further detail if you'd like).

So here we go: Case2010/dude: head 75%, gut/heart 25%

vote with thou posts and lets make this fun for all....

Manager
Manager
Schools: Stanford, Haas, Stern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: Calling all Fall 2010 Consortium Applicants (merged) [#permalink] New post 30 Mar 2010, 05:42
gut
Current Student

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Fall 2010 Consortium Applicants (merged) [#permalink] New post 30 Mar 2010, 06:09
i do a combination, i used to go with my gut, but this process has made me realize that some things in my life would have been different had a i went with my head, which has made me start leaning toward listening to my head more

Manager
Manager

Re: Calling all Fall 2010 Consortium Applicants (merged) [#permalink] New post 30 Mar 2010, 06:14
I'd like to think it's about even for me, but that in the event of a tie, I'd follow my heart. So:

49% head, 51% heart

Intern
Intern
Schools: NYU Stern 2012

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 4

Re: Calling all Fall 2010 Consortium Applicants (merged) [#permalink] New post 30 Mar 2010, 07:10
idcandy - looks like you need to just print out your avatar and play some darts.
Manager
Manager

Re: Calling all Fall 2010 Consortium Applicants (merged) [#permalink] New post 30 Mar 2010, 08:00
seanyc wrote:
idcandy - looks like you need to just print out your avatar and play some darts.

Lol! I just might do that :-P

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Fall 2010 Consortium Applicants (merged) [#permalink] New post 30 Mar 2010, 10:18
idcandy wrote:
seanyc wrote:

Lol! I just might do that :-P

Hahaha! You guys are funny! So idcandy, did you decide between Stern and Ross? I'll be at GBR next week, hope you can make it!
Intern
Intern
Schools: Ross (CGSM Fellow), Wash U Olin R2, Kelley R2, Tepper R2, Marshall R2
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Fall 2010 Consortium Applicants (merged) [#permalink] New post 30 Mar 2010, 11:26
45% Head and 55% Heart.

The motivation that comes along with following my heart usually outweighs what I may lose out on in the beginning. My heart may not always lead me to the most logical decision, but often times I can make up the difference through some extra hustle. Legal and ethical 'hustle' that is.

Its like taking the higher paying job in a place that doesn't make you :( happy. That position will probably not bring out the best in you, and ultimately you may get left behind by the person who is happy :lol: and working hard in their position.
Current Student
Schools: Michigan - Ross Class of 2012
WE 1: Marketing within Financial Services

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 9

Re: Calling all Fall 2010 Consortium Applicants (merged) [#permalink] New post 30 Mar 2010, 19:51
100% Heart

It's so good that it actually convinces my gut and head that it's them that make the decision. My gut reacts to the school but my heart led it there. My head justifies why the school is right regardless of whether it's a rational decision. It'd probably appear as a 50/50 head/gut decision, but the heart is the one calling the shots.

Detailed Profile with Interviews/Dings/Admits: Go Here

Re: Calling all Fall 2010 Consortium Applicants (merged)   [#permalink] 30 Mar 2010, 19:51