Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 18 Dec 2014, 20:41

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling all Fall 2010 Consortium Applicants (merged)

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
VP
VP
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 209 [0], given: 31

Re: Calling all Fall 2010 Consortium Applicants (merged) [#permalink] New post 20 May 2010, 16:08
username123 wrote:
I saw this question posted on the Yale thread, and I don't think it was answered:

Does anyone who applied to Yale feel like applying through the Consortium may have hurt their chances? I think the statistics showed that only 1 out of the 12 people who applied through the Consortium got in, versus a much higher percentage of people who applied regularly.

I don't think it's applying through the Consortium that is the problem. The problem could be that, if you were to use GMAC statistics, most minorities, who are more likely to apply through the Consortium, have lower GMATs than the average for the school. In other words it's more a question of demographics than the process.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Current Student
Schools: MIT (Sloan) - Class of 2012
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 6

Re: Calling all Fall 2010 Consortium Applicants (merged) [#permalink] New post 20 May 2010, 16:39
username123 wrote:
I saw this question posted on the Yale thread, and I don't think it was answered:

Does anyone who applied to Yale feel like applying through the Consortium may have hurt their chances? I think the statistics showed that only 1 out of the 12 people who applied through the Consortium got in, versus a much higher percentage of people who applied regularly.

I didn't apply to Yale, but I have heard a healthy amount about them as a lot of people apply and I know someone who personally got the fellowship for Yale.

Essentially, I do hear Yale needs to be ranked as #1 in order for you to seriously be considered. I would hypothesize that the reason their entry is lower for consortium apps is because a lot of people will put Yale as a 3 or lower pick. They don't really want to go to Yale, but if you are just adding schools to better your chances, why not Yale.

I would look to try and find out how many people who really wanted to go to Yale actually got in.
Current Student
Schools: Michigan - Ross Class of 2012
WE 1: Marketing within Financial Services

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 9

Re: Calling all Fall 2010 Consortium Applicants (merged) [#permalink] New post 21 May 2010, 14:21
maxtor wrote:
username123 wrote:

I didn't apply to Yale, but I have heard a healthy amount about them as a lot of people apply and I know someone who personally got the fellowship for Yale.

Essentially, I do hear Yale needs to be ranked as #1 in order for you to seriously be considered. I would hypothesize that the reason their entry is lower for consortium apps is because a lot of people will put Yale as a 3 or lower pick. They don't really want to go to Yale, but if you are just adding schools to better your chances, why not Yale.

I would look to try and find out how many people who really wanted to go to Yale actually got in.

Completely agree with Maxtor. In hind sight, I should have ranked them 1 instead of 2. Especially with the number of people who apply to Yale and considering they have such a small class, if you didn't rank them #1, why would they bother.

If you really want to go there and rank them as such, it wouldn't hurt your chances at all applying through the Consortium. Only help.

Detailed Profile with Interviews/Dings/Admits: Go Here

Current Student
Schools: Texas '12

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Fall 2010 Consortium Applicants (merged) [#permalink] New post 24 May 2010, 07:08
I received admissions into a CGSM member school (UT) on Friday. Along with my admin they sent me an invitation to apply for the OP in June. This is a fantastic program, but the application is due tomorrow. My question is who are people using for recommenders? I don’t currently belong to any diversity programs so I would possibly ask a family member. I was the first in my entire family to even finish high school, but have sense helped others through the process of getting GED’s and attending college. Would something like this be in line with what the CGSM is looking for or are they specifically looking for membership in certain diversity programs?
Current Student
Schools: MIT (Sloan) - Class of 2012

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 6

Re: Calling all Fall 2010 Consortium Applicants (merged) [#permalink] New post 24 May 2010, 07:31
sdg wrote:
I received admissions into a CGSM member school (UT) on Friday. Along with my admin they sent me an invitation to apply for the OP in June. This is a fantastic program, but the application is due tomorrow. My question is who are people using for recommenders? I don’t currently belong to any diversity programs so I would possibly ask a family member. I was the first in my entire family to even finish high school, but have sense helped others through the process of getting GED’s and attending college. Would something like this be in line with what the CGSM is looking for or are they specifically looking for membership in certain diversity programs?

For my non-professional recommender, I actually used my old college roommate and good friend. I had helped him with the job search coming out of school, and he had been with me or seen me do a lot of the mentoring I had done. He was able to speak to a lot of the community service and activities I had accomplished. I had very good results with the schools I applied to, so I can say it worked fine for me.

For the non-professional one, I think someone (preferably not family) who can really stand up and speak about your commitment is going to be key.

Good luck.
Director
Director
Affiliations: Consortium (CGSM.org), NSHMBA
Schools: Yale SOM Class of 2012
WE 1: Investment Banking Summer Associate (Boutique tech M&A)
Followers: 39

Kudos [?]: 217 [0], given: 113

Reviews Badge
Re: Calling all Fall 2010 Consortium Applicants (merged) [#permalink] New post 02 Jun 2010, 19:30
username123 wrote:

i don't know if it necessarily hurts your chances, unless you don't rank them 1st. this is especially true because the class size is so small (as others have already pointed out) and yield is a big part of the admissions process.

GMAT Debrief

Director
Director

Reviews Badge
Re: Calling all Fall 2010 Consortium Applicants (merged) [#permalink] New post 02 Jun 2010, 19:32
sdg wrote:

my non-professional recommendation was a college professor who i remained in close contact with. as with most other recommendation letters, i'd stay away from obtaining a family LOR.

your story sounds exactly like what the CGSM stands for - not only to receive help, but to pay it forward so to speak. good luck and hopefully you can make it to OP - from everything i've read, it sounds like it's a great event.

GMAT Debrief

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

Re: Calling all Fall 2010 Consortium Applicants (merged) [#permalink] New post 06 Jun 2010, 13:58
is anyone attending the mba jumpstart diversity forum and/or heard whether it's worth attending?
Director
Director

Reviews Badge
Re: Calling all Fall 2010 Consortium Applicants (merged) [#permalink] New post 06 Jun 2010, 19:45
i'll be attending it this year. i heard from people who attended it last year that it was definitely worth it - at least one of them will be interning with goldman sachs this summer, which is one of the firms being represented at the conference. i think it's particularly useful if you're a career switcher and/or have limited experience in the banking or consulting industries. as with any conference, though, you'll have to put in time and effort in order to get any sort of tangible benefit from it.

GMAT Debrief

Manager
Manager
Schools: Stanford, Haas, Stern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: Calling all Fall 2010 Consortium Applicants (merged) [#permalink] New post 08 Jun 2010, 06:39
Off waitlist at Stern ... dinged w/o interview. I'll be applying again next year.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

Re: Calling all Fall 2010 Consortium Applicants (merged) [#permalink] New post 08 Jun 2010, 20:28
shadowsjc wrote:
i'll be attending it this year. i heard from people who attended it last year that it was definitely worth it - at least one of them will be interning with goldman sachs this summer, which is one of the firms being represented at the conference. i think it's particularly useful if you're a career switcher and/or have limited experience in the banking or consulting industries. as with any conference, though, you'll have to put in time and effort in order to get any sort of tangible benefit from it.

great! i'm surprised there hasn't been more discussion about it online. i can use as much prepping as i can get so i'll def'ly be there. thanks for the info!
Manager
Manager

Re: Calling all Fall 2010 Consortium Applicants (merged) [#permalink] New post 09 Jun 2010, 05:17
Just wondering about how the CGSM process works. Can you only receive a fellowship offer from one school? Or, can you receive a fellowship offer from multiple schools that where you are admitted?
Director
Director

Reviews Badge
Re: Calling all Fall 2010 Consortium Applicants (merged) [#permalink] New post 09 Jun 2010, 06:52
when you apply, you rank the schools 1-6 (or however many you applied to). when it comes time to award the fellowships, reps from all the schools you applied to meet with the consortium. the school you ranked first will get the first chance to award you the fellowship. if they decline, then the next highest ranked school will be given the option, etc.

you can only receive one fellowship award, and it is non-transferable. if your 2nd ranked school offers you the fellowship, but you really want to go to the 1st ranked school, you can't transfer the award to the 1st school.

the fellowship does not take the place of a regular school award, so even if a school does not offer you the CGSM fellowship, they can still offer you financial aid or scholarships.

what isn't exactly clear to me is why your #1 school wouldn't always offer you the fellowship, assuming that the funds for the fellowship come 100% from the CGSM. the only situation that i can think of is that the school actually covers a portion (say half) of the fellowship, and the CGSM matches this. this is just me thinking out loud though - if anyone has any firm answers, i'd love to hear it.

GMAT Debrief

Manager
Manager

Re: Calling all Fall 2010 Consortium Applicants (merged) [#permalink] New post 09 Jun 2010, 07:06
Thanks shadowsjc.

Yeah I agree with you the school must take on some part of the financial responsibility for the scholorship, otherwise why would they give you the fellowship for your top ranked school. I know that NYU does not give out a lot of fellowhsips, but Ross does. So there must be some logical explanation for this.

shadowsjc wrote:
when you apply, you rank the schools 1-6 (or however many you applied to). when it comes time to award the fellowships, reps from all the schools you applied to meet with the consortium. the school you ranked first will get the first chance to award you the fellowship. if they decline, then the next highest ranked school will be given the option, etc.

you can only receive one fellowship award, and it is non-transferable. if your 2nd ranked school offers you the fellowship, but you really want to go to the 1st ranked school, you can't transfer the award to the 1st school.

the fellowship does not take the place of a regular school award, so even if a school does not offer you the CGSM fellowship, they can still offer you financial aid or scholarships.

what isn't exactly clear to me is why your #1 school wouldn't always offer you the fellowship, assuming that the funds for the fellowship come 100% from the CGSM. the only situation that i can think of is that the school actually covers a portion (say half) of the fellowship, and the CGSM matches this. this is just me thinking out loud though - if anyone has any firm answers, i'd love to hear it.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Ross 2010
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 1

Re: Calling all Fall 2010 Consortium Applicants (merged) [#permalink] New post 09 Jun 2010, 11:39
shadowsjc wrote:

The schools fund the fellowships not the Consortium and each school has a certain number of fellowships they will award and this is different for every school. From what I can tell these are awarded based on how attractive an applicant you are to that school.
Manager
Manager

Re: Calling all Fall 2010 Consortium Applicants (merged) [#permalink] New post 28 Jun 2010, 05:45
Any idea if Duke will joing CGSM this year?
Intern
Intern
Schools: Duke/Fuqua

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Fall 2010 Consortium Applicants (merged) [#permalink] New post 30 Aug 2010, 07:12
"But ... I want to a Duke ACC rival school ... so maybe I'm biased"

Judging by your grammar I'd say...unc, right? :-)

C-A-R[highlight][/highlight]

Director
Director
Schools: Tuck, Yale (ding), NYU, Columbia, Duke (int)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 13

Re: Calling all Fall 2010 Consortium Applicants (merged) [#permalink] New post 02 Sep 2010, 07:30
Hey guys, I hope everyone is doing well at their new schools!

If anyone still checks this thread, can someone maybe answer a question for me?

I was wondering if I could get some examples of who you used for the mission recommendation. While I fit the mission, I don't have anyone that I can readily contact for a recommendation. I was thinking a family friend? I was also thinking about contacting my on-campus latino community group (im currently a grad student), and asking them if we can talk, explain my situation, and maybe someone there can write me a letter.
Current Student
Schools: Michigan - Ross Class of 2012
WE 1: Marketing within Financial Services

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 9

Re: Calling all Fall 2010 Consortium Applicants (merged) [#permalink] New post 02 Sep 2010, 18:06
VictoryMBA wrote:
Hey guys, I hope everyone is doing well at their new schools!

If anyone still checks this thread, can someone maybe answer a question for me?

I was wondering if I could get some examples of who you used for the mission recommendation. While I fit the mission, I don't have anyone that I can readily contact for a recommendation. I was thinking a family friend? I was also thinking about contacting my on-campus latino community group (im currently a grad student), and asking them if we can talk, explain my situation, and maybe someone there can write me a letter.

I've posted my reply to this over in the 2011 Consortium Thread

Detailed Profile with Interviews/Dings/Admits: Go Here

Re: Calling all Fall 2010 Consortium Applicants (merged)   [#permalink] 02 Sep 2010, 18:06