Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 28 Aug 2014, 19:40

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling All Fall 2010 MIT Sloan Applicants

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Schools: MIT, UCLA, Texas
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 3

Re: Calling All Fall 2010 MIT Sloan Applicants [#permalink] New post 20 Oct 2009, 11:02
adabass wrote:
I am also pushing for R1. Started my app on Sunday. Hope to finish by Sunday. My recommender probably is attending the Sharepoint best practices conference - so will need him to submit pretty soon as well when he comes back on Fri.

I had one question for essay 1 - "you went beyong what was defined, expected, established, or popular". My example does not have the popular aspect of the question. It just talks about what was defined, expected and established. My act definitely was popular. Does this really make a difference?

The question says: defined, expected, established, or popular. Because it says "or", it does not need to address all of these points.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 2

Re: Calling All Fall 2010 MIT Sloan Applicants [#permalink] New post 20 Oct 2009, 23:50
adabass wrote:
I am also pushing for R1. Started my app on Sunday. Hope to finish by Sunday. My recommender probably is attending the Sharepoint Conference - so will need him to submit pretty soon as well when he comes back on Fri.

I had one question for essay 1 - "you went beyong what was defined, expected, established, or popular". My example does not have the popular aspect of the question. It just talks about what was defined, expected and established. My act definitely was popular. Does this really make a difference?

Wow looks like people are quick here. I just started on Essay 1 today. Looks like this is gonna go down to the wire too.
good luck !!
Current Student
Schools: Kellogg Class of 2012
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 7

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling All Fall 2010 MIT Sloan Applicants [#permalink] New post 21 Oct 2009, 00:19
Are people counting the headers and signatures in their word counts for the cover letter? MIT is very specific on limits for the resume and essays, so I am being extra careful to be under the limits... I wouldn't be surprised if they automated word and line counting of submitted materials somehow.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 1

Re: Calling All Fall 2010 MIT Sloan Applicants [#permalink] New post 21 Oct 2009, 01:37
boogs wrote:
Are people counting the headers and signatures in their word counts for the cover letter? MIT is very specific on limits for the resume and essays, so I am being extra careful to be under the limits... I wouldn't be surprised if they automated word and line counting of submitted materials somehow.

I assumed as much when I wrote mine.

Furthermore, the 1 page limit was far more restrictive on the cover letter than 500 word limit. The header/signature take up significant space.
Manager
Manager

Re: Calling All Fall 2010 MIT Sloan Applicants [#permalink] New post 21 Oct 2009, 13:29
lsmba wrote:
boogs wrote:

I assumed as much when I wrote mine.

Furthermore, the 1 page limit was far more restrictive on the cover letter than 500 word limit. The header/signature take up significant space.

After seeing all these posts, I realized I didnt put a header or footer or any of my essays for any school. Is this mandatory?
Did I mess up badly or what?
Current Student

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling All Fall 2010 MIT Sloan Applicants [#permalink] New post 21 Oct 2009, 13:34
I think it depends on the school and essay. For Booth, they specify that you put your name at the top of each page, so I had a header. In the case of the Sloan cover letter, standard cover letter formatting has:

Your contact info

Recipient contact info

Dear Mr/Mrs Recipient,

Body

Your signature

I was just wondering if people were counting the entire documents words for the 500 word limit, or just the body.

Manager
Manager
Schools: MIT, UCLA, Texas

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 3

Re: Calling All Fall 2010 MIT Sloan Applicants [#permalink] New post 21 Oct 2009, 13:43
boogs wrote:
I think it depends on the school and essay. For Booth, they specify that you put your name at the top of each page, so I had a header. In the case of the Sloan cover letter, standard cover letter formatting has:

Your contact info

Recipient contact info

Dear Mr/Mrs Recipient,

Body

Your signature

I was just wondering if people were counting the entire documents words for the 500 word limit, or just the body.

I counted all the words including the header info and the signature. With that, I was at 503 words, but I think I will be fine.
Current Student
WE 1: Energy Risk Consulting
WE 2: Commodities Finance

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 11

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling All Fall 2010 MIT Sloan Applicants [#permalink] New post 21 Oct 2009, 15:17
Think I might drop MIT. Spent so much time on Haas that I've barely gotten started on Sloan. On top of that, my recommendation provider point blank told me you're not going to get in, which got me thinking...
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

Re: Calling All Fall 2010 MIT Sloan Applicants [#permalink] New post 21 Oct 2009, 15:51
fyi....During one of the Sloan admission process online chats the adcom mentioned that only the body of the essays are counted towards the word limit.
Manager
Manager

Re: Calling All Fall 2010 MIT Sloan Applicants [#permalink] New post 21 Oct 2009, 16:44
unhedged wrote:
Think I might drop MIT. Spent so much time on Haas that I've barely gotten started on Sloan. On top of that, my recommendation provider point blank told me you're not going to get in, which got me thinking...

I haven't started either but I can get it done in the next 5 days. Can't wait till r2

Posted from my mobile device Image
Intern
Intern
Schools: IIMC, ISB, Booth, MIT, Emory

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: Calling All Fall 2010 MIT Sloan Applicants [#permalink] New post 21 Oct 2009, 18:41
wiseguyMBA wrote:
Wow looks like people are quick here. I just started on Essay 1 today. Looks like this is gonna go down to the wire too.
good luck !!

Couldn't help! :)
My Booth app took one extra week than what I expected.

http://adabass.blogspot.com
"Be the change you want to see in the world"
-- Mahatma Gandhi

Manager
Manager

Re: Calling All Fall 2010 MIT Sloan Applicants [#permalink] New post 21 Oct 2009, 19:21
Okay I'm starting essays now. Will see if I can get 2 essays done by Friday else I'm not doing sloan...
These guys won't even let me reuse my resume..how do I fit the damn thing in 50 lines?
Manager
Manager

Re: Calling All Fall 2010 MIT Sloan Applicants [#permalink] New post 21 Oct 2009, 19:28
Alums, current students, others...
Question: can the bullet points in my resume overlap with my essay content?
Or do they have to be completely new stories in the essays? After all, I've had only so much impact on my company.
thanks in advance.
-wg
Intern
Intern
Schools: IIMC, ISB, Booth, MIT, Emory

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: Calling All Fall 2010 MIT Sloan Applicants [#permalink] New post 21 Oct 2009, 19:52
Thank you for pointing out the 50 line resume req. I had quite conveniently ignored that.

For the resume points, I do think that they can very well overlap. Infact, if you highlight something in your essays, those are you key points which should be in the resume as well...

essay 2 is killing me....

http://adabass.blogspot.com
"Be the change you want to see in the world"
-- Mahatma Gandhi

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 3

Re: Calling All Fall 2010 MIT Sloan Applicants [#permalink] New post 22 Oct 2009, 09:11
Hey Moderator!

Applying!

Update roll call!

Thanks!!

GMATing: How I made it to an Ivy League B-School!!||How I got a 770!!

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 62 [0], given: 7

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling All Fall 2010 MIT Sloan Applicants [#permalink] New post 22 Oct 2009, 11:17
What font are you guys using on your resume?
Current Student
Schools: Fuqua Class of 2012

Kudos [?]: 48 [0], given: 21

Re: Calling All Fall 2010 MIT Sloan Applicants [#permalink] New post 22 Oct 2009, 11:27
rao_1857 wrote:

Comic Sans, with Curlz MT for the section titles.

(I'm really using Times New Roman, 10 pt, 0.5" margins)
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling All Fall 2010 MIT Sloan Applicants [#permalink] New post 22 Oct 2009, 11:33
Applying in first round. Please update the rollcall
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 62 [0], given: 7

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling All Fall 2010 MIT Sloan Applicants [#permalink] New post 22 Oct 2009, 11:45
mba12tech wrote:
rao_1857 wrote:

Comic Sans, with Curlz MT for the section titles.

(I'm really using Times New Roman, 10 pt, 0.5" margins)

Lol ...

I am trying to get it into 11pt.. does that matters in anyway ?

Also when you say 0.5" is it all four or left and right.

right now mine is top, bottom - 0.60, left, Right- 0.75
Current Student

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling All Fall 2010 MIT Sloan Applicants [#permalink] New post 22 Oct 2009, 12:14
My resume is size 11 in the body, 12 for section headers, and 14 for the title. I decreased the margins a bit, and interspersed size 4 font blanklines between some sections to make it less crowded. 50 lines of text exactly.

Re: Calling All Fall 2010 MIT Sloan Applicants   [#permalink] 22 Oct 2009, 12:14