Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 27 Aug 2014, 17:21

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling All Fall 2010 MIT Sloan Applicants

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling All Fall 2010 MIT Sloan Applicants [#permalink] New post 01 Feb 2010, 20:52
Anyone deciding between MIT Sloan and Columbia? I'm actually split 50/50 right now and realized Admit weekend is the same for both.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling All Fall 2010 MIT Sloan Applicants [#permalink] New post 01 Feb 2010, 22:16
Congrats to the admits. I got a defer but was wondering if anyone else had the same thing happen to them. I got the email notification of a status update today, but the letter is dated back from mid december. at the bottom of the letter it says there is a web chat for 1/15 but that has obviously passed. Did anyone save the transcript from that chat? Just would like to get the additional information if possible...

good luck to my peers!
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 1

Re: Calling All Fall 2010 MIT Sloan Applicants [#permalink] New post 02 Feb 2010, 01:03
mbagirl2012 wrote:
Anyone deciding between MIT Sloan and Columbia? I'm actually split 50/50 right now and realized Admit weekend is the same for both.

Hey mbagirl2012. I guess it depends on what you want to do post-MBA? I know very little about the Columbia MBA :P but MIT has a small class size which might be another factor in your decision. Plus would you rather study in Boston or NYC?

MIT, Booth, HBS, Stanford

2010-profiles-w-admit-dings-results-no-discussion-78475-40.html#p640997

Current Student
Schools: MIT Sloan Class of 2012
Followers: 1

Re: Calling All Fall 2010 MIT Sloan Applicants [#permalink] New post 02 Feb 2010, 04:03
Jivana wrote:
:?: for the admits: Did you guys interview on-campus or off-campus?

I interviewed off campus in Washington, D.C.
Intern
Intern
Schools: Kellogg, MIT Sloan, HBS, Stanford, Wharton, Columbia
WE 1: Investment Banking (1yr)
WE 2: Private Equity (2 yrs)

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 4

Re: Calling All Fall 2010 MIT Sloan Applicants [#permalink] New post 02 Feb 2010, 04:28
USMCCommO wrote:
Jivana wrote:
:?: for the admits: Did you guys interview on-campus or off-campus?

I interviewed off campus in Washington, D.C.

I interviewed on campus (mid-January).
Intern
Intern
Schools: MIT, Stanfor

Re: Calling All Fall 2010 MIT Sloan Applicants [#permalink] New post 02 Feb 2010, 07:33
I have also got a deferment from MIT :(.

Does anyone have info about how to deal with it or what are the chances of being accepted in the end? Is this answer really different to a waiting-list? Will the Admission board keep us waiting 'til the 5th of April!?

I am an international applicant and was interviewed off-campus.

Thanks.
Intern
Intern

Re: Calling All Fall 2010 MIT Sloan Applicants [#permalink] New post 02 Feb 2010, 07:44
I interviewed off-campus in early January.

Thanks Noodle...Columbia fits my career aspirations better and has a stronger network in retail (my desire is to pursue marketing for the retail/luxury industry), but when I interviewed MIT was clear to point out that they do have students actively pursuing that industry/placement and MIT has yearly Branded Luxury Treks to Europe and NY). I like MIT's marketing science focus and it's smaller class size, but I love NY. I have never lived in either city. I did IB before and am serious about pursuing a more non-traditional career path.

Anyway, I was planning to visit both schools to meet fellow admits, only to find Admitted Students events on the same days!

If anyone can add anything else, let me know. I'm trying to see if I should go to Day 1 for one school (the HH/social event) and Day 2 for the other.
Current Student
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 56 [0], given: 295

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling All Fall 2010 MIT Sloan Applicants [#permalink] New post 02 Feb 2010, 15:38
Still waiting for an interview. Submitted on R2 deadline day, nothing heard yet. When is the notification date? Sigh :?
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling All Fall 2010 MIT Sloan Applicants [#permalink] New post 02 Feb 2010, 23:07
So, now that you are after the process, and many of you got accepted, can you share some interview tips- how did you prepare? Any hard questions you remember? Any "I wish I would have done X &Y"?
Thanks!!

(add me to R2 roll call…)
Intern
Intern

Re: Calling All Fall 2010 MIT Sloan Applicants [#permalink] New post 03 Feb 2010, 22:02
I disagree and actually think the chances of getting in as a deferred applicant from Rd 1 are pretty slim, probably the same chances as a normal waitlist if not less. If there are a 100-200 deferrees, as the letter says, maybe a handful at the most will get in. Here's why:

1. Historically, Sloan (according to one of their chats) sees 33% of their overall applications come in the 1st round, with the rest coming in the 2nd round. So they'll be more than likely getting twice as many applications in the 2nd round, which is more than enough to be able to fill out the rest of their slots. If they really wanted you at their school, the adcom would have already admitted you, yield numbers be damned. They wouldn't want to take the risk of losing you.

2. Most people who applied to Sloan in the first round applied to other top schools as well, and the candidates who were good enough to get deferred but not accepted at Sloan more than likely got acceptances at one other school, minimum. Surely the Sloan adcom does not expect people to roll the dice by denying those acceptances and keep their fingers crossed to get off the deferral list and accepted by Sloan. So, they must expect that the applicants are willing to eat well over $1K in deposit money and drop the other school like a bad habit if they come off the deferral list. They assume that Sloan is far and away the deferred applicant's number one choice, because again, if they really wanted the applicant and thought they had other top choices, they would have accepted the person in the first round.

3. Sloan requires no commitment from anyone to have the application continue to be considered, which means the only considering they're doing is whether to shred the paper copies or recycle them. All it takes it a simple click of a radio button to have the adcom continue to "consider" your application. They know that ultimately, most of the deferrees will probably choose to stay in the game because it doesn't cost them anything. It doesn't cost Sloan anything either. If Sloan really cared about whether or not someone actually wanted to still be considered, they would make the applicant post a deposit of ~$250. Three potential outcomes:

a. The applicant gets rejected/waitlisted on April 5. They will get the full deposit back.
b. The applicant gets accepted and decides to go to Sloan, so Sloan allows the $250 to be applied to the tuition bill
c. The applicant gets accepted and decides to go elsewhere. That's the price the applicant should pay for not being upfront about whether or not they are serious enough about Sloan to drop any other offers and go to Sloan instead.

The whole deferral process is really nothing more than a waitlist. I'm not sure I understand why they didn't just waitlist people instead of deferring them and giving them a false sense of hope.
Intern
Intern
Schools: HBS R1, Wharton R1, Chicago Booth R1, CBS Jan, MIT Sloan R1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling All Fall 2010 MIT Sloan Applicants [#permalink] New post 04 Feb 2010, 18:39
Just got the word today.. got a fellowship offer from Sloan.. 50k... pretty pumped.
Intern
Intern
Schools: Kellogg, MIT Sloan, HBS, Stanford, Wharton, Columbia
WE 1: Investment Banking (1yr)
WE 2: Private Equity (2 yrs)

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 4

Re: Calling All Fall 2010 MIT Sloan Applicants [#permalink] New post 04 Feb 2010, 18:56
BostonArmyGuy wrote:
Just got the word today.. got a fellowship offer from Sloan.. 50k... pretty pumped.

Congrats BostonArmyGuy! That's great! How did they notify you - email? snail mail? phone call?
Intern
Intern

Re: Calling All Fall 2010 MIT Sloan Applicants [#permalink] New post 04 Feb 2010, 19:01
email
Manager
Manager
Schools: Chicago Booth - Class of 2012

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 3

Re: Calling All Fall 2010 MIT Sloan Applicants [#permalink] New post 09 Feb 2010, 12:52
Does anyone know approximately when they will begin releasing interview invites for round 2? This whole deferral thing is frustrating . . .
Current Student
Schools: Chicago Booth Class of 2012

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 19

Re: Calling All Fall 2010 MIT Sloan Applicants [#permalink] New post 09 Feb 2010, 13:39
johnngalt wrote:
Does anyone know approximately when they will begin releasing interview invites for round 2? This whole deferral thing is frustrating . . .

Last year it was approximately the first week of March.
Intern
Intern

Re: Calling All Fall 2010 MIT Sloan Applicants [#permalink] New post 10 Feb 2010, 18:19
Any opinions here about for MIT vs. Chicago? I want to be in S&T (specifically trade) post b-school.. thoughts?

much appreciated in advance..
Current Student
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 56 [0], given: 295

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling All Fall 2010 MIT Sloan Applicants [#permalink] New post 10 Feb 2010, 18:32
BostonArmyGuy wrote:
Any opinions here about for MIT vs. Chicago? I want to be in S&T (specifically trade) post b-school.. thoughts?

much appreciated in advance..

I too am curious about this question. Thoughts appreciated for this q?
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 1

Re: Calling All Fall 2010 MIT Sloan Applicants [#permalink] New post 11 Feb 2010, 03:38
From my experience trading at an Ibank is notoriously difficult to get into. I imagine for most MBAs the most likely placements would be into Quant trading.

Booth obviously has a rep as a strong finance school while Sloan's programme seems ideal prep for something like Quant trading. As an MBA outsider its hard to say.......

MIT, Booth, HBS, Stanford

2010-profiles-w-admit-dings-results-no-discussion-78475-40.html#p640997

Intern
Intern

Re: Calling All Fall 2010 MIT Sloan Applicants [#permalink] New post 11 Feb 2010, 12:08
does everyones status on the online app say"completed and being evaluated"? will this change only when interview invites are released? or on the final notification date?
Intern
Intern
Schools: MIT, Stanfor

Re: Calling All Fall 2010 MIT Sloan Applicants [#permalink] New post 11 Feb 2010, 13:14
Hi guys.

I received a deferred decision from MIT Sloan and I'm trying to asses my chances to get in. For this reason I'd like to know a couple of thinks regarding the lists of accepted people. Here are my questions:
1) Which Europeean countries are represented in the list and what percentage are
2) When is the deadline for deposit due? I mean, when are you supposed to inform Sloan that you will actually enrol in the program?

Also, is there anyone that though being interviewed has been denied admission?

Thanks in advance.
Re: Calling All Fall 2010 MIT Sloan Applicants   [#permalink] 11 Feb 2010, 13:14