Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 03:24 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 03:24

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Concentration: Strategic Management, Finance, Managerial and Organizational Behavior
Schools:Chicago Booth Class of 2012
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Schools:Chicago Booth - Class of 2012
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: Calling All Fall 2010 MIT Sloan Applicants [#permalink]
johnngalt wrote:
WL will probably come after "ding day." I was deferred in R1 without interview and I learned about it after the "ding day."

ah crap!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [1]
Concentration: Intl Business, stratagy and entreperneurship
Schools:Sloan, Cornell, Insead and IMD
 Q48  V38
GPA: 78
Send PM
Kudos
Any internationalls with an invite?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 46 [1]
Given Kudos: 18
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
Schools:Stanford '12
GMAT 2: 710
GPA: 3.9
WE 1: Wall Street Finance
WE 2: Entrepreneurship
Send PM
Kudos
anandnesan wrote:
I got the news that I am dinged through my wife - she was a MIT grad (not Sloan) and had written a letter of support to Rod. She got a personal e-mail from Rod informing her of the bad news. He also mentioned that I will be officially notified this Friday.

Bummed but glad that I at least have one admit. Good luck to everyone else.

yah. i got the news yesterday that i am dinged through a good friend of mine (Sloan grad) that wrote a letter of support to Rod as well. Rod did not mention a time, but said that all he could relay was that applications were extremely competitive this year (12 apps for 1 spot) and that truly only stanford would be comparable.

it was extremely disappointing considering that i felt my application essays were rock strong (i had two sloan graduates review them excessively and then send an LOS after submission, they were both really sure i would at least get an interview). plus i had been 2 for 2 for those schools where i had this opinion so it was also a bit disconcerting as it reminded me i have no offers from any school yet and despite interviews or what i think, its still a possibility i get dinged everywhere.

i do not mean to be dramatic for those of you who have not received invites from any schools, but for me it is still indeed a sobering thot. anyway. good luck to those who receive MIT interviews. youve earned it in a banner year. cheers
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Biotech
Send PM
quantjock wrote:
anandnesan wrote:
I got the news that I am dinged through my wife - she was a MIT grad (not Sloan) and had written a letter of support to Rod. She got a personal e-mail from Rod informing her of the bad news. He also mentioned that I will be officially notified this Friday.

Bummed but glad that I at least have one admit. Good luck to everyone else.

yah. i got the news yesterday that i am dinged through a good friend of mine (Sloan grad) that wrote a letter of support to Rod as well. Rod did not mention a time, but said that all he could relay was that applications were extremely competitive this year (12 apps for 1 spot) and that truly only stanford would be comparable.

it was extremely disappointing considering that i felt my application essays were rock strong (i had two sloan graduates review them excessively and then send an LOS after submission, they were both really sure i would at least get an interview). plus i had been 2 for 2 for those schools where i had this opinion so it was also a bit disconcerting as it reminded me i have no offers from any school yet and despite interviews or what i think, its still a possibility i get dinged everywhere.

i do not mean to be dramatic for those of you who have not received invites from any schools, but for me it is still indeed a sobering thot. anyway. good luck to those who receive MIT interviews. youve earned it in a banner year. cheers

To those that have indirectly heard from Rod Garcia:

What is a letter of support? Do you mean a letter of recommendation or a supplemental/personal letter to Garcia? If it is the former, does every MIT alum who wrote a letter get such a response from Rod Garcia?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Schools:Tuck (accepted R2), HBS, Sloan (rejected R2), Darden
GPA: 3.41
Send PM
Am I the only one that's a little shocked to hear that MIT releases admissions decisions to third parties before it notifies the applicant?

As if it's not bad enough to hear from the school you've been denied, but to hear it unofficially from a friend first would be terrible.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Concentration: Strategy, MOT
Schools:Duke R2, MIT R2, NCSU R2, Georgia Tech
 Q47  V41
GPA: 3.77
WE 1: Technology Management - 5 years
WE 2: Supply Chain Management - 1 year
Send PM
knfevg wrote:
Any internationalls with an invite?

I applied from Mexico and still have not received an interview invitation.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
Schools:HBS
Send PM
Kudos
Go MIT!

Originally posted by bwizzle on 04 Mar 2010, 09:12.
Last edited by bwizzle on 14 Apr 2010, 14:32, edited 1 time in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 393 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Someone B-week posted of an interview invite for mid-west! :shock:

*goes back to the e-mail window, and stares at the screen...hoping to force an invite*
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 60 [0]
Given Kudos: 295
Send PM
Jivana wrote:

*goes back to the e-mail window, and stares at the screen...hoping to force an invite*

my plan: omg omg omg...hooks up laptop to projector/TV and open email...becomes a couch potato and plays bee-gee's "staying alive"

now only if dratted work doesn't get in the way :P
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Concentration: Strategic Management, Finance, Managerial and Organizational Behavior
Schools:Chicago Booth Class of 2012
Send PM
bwizzle wrote:
but let's be honest, comparing it to Stanford's selectivity is extreme and incorrect.

I'm not sure I understand this point. If MIT has an acceptance rate of ~9% for the class of 2012, wouldn't that likely make it the 2nd most selective school in all the land (to Stanford)?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Schools:HBS
Send PM
Go MIT!

Originally posted by bwizzle on 04 Mar 2010, 10:00.
Last edited by bwizzle on 14 Apr 2010, 14:32, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Concentration: Strategy, MOT
Schools:Duke R2, MIT R2, NCSU R2, Georgia Tech
 Q47  V41
GPA: 3.77
WE 1: Technology Management - 5 years
WE 2: Supply Chain Management - 1 year
Send PM
bwizzle wrote:

577 admits / 4704 applicants = 12.2% MIT accept rate. Contrast with 7-8% at Stanford -- 50% difference.

Not that I'm a fan of Stanford's ridiculous selectivity.

Me neither

Originally posted by aolaiz on 04 Mar 2010, 10:10.
Last edited by aolaiz on 04 Mar 2010, 10:31, edited 1 time in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 393 [0]
Send PM
Jivana wrote:

Houston, we have a problem...staring at the screen is not working. :wall

Please advice! :stupid
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Schools:MIT
 Q50  V46
Send PM
GordonBombay wrote:
Am I the only one that's a little shocked to hear that MIT releases admissions decisions to third parties before it notifies the applicant?

As if it's not bad enough to hear from the school you've been denied, but to hear it unofficially from a friend first would be terrible.

I'm a little bit jealous :?
Not only do these people have high-flying-in-the-know-sloan-grad friends who take the time to write them a letter of support and have direct lines to Mr.Garcia .... but they ALSO get put out of their misery sooner than us :(

I am 99.9% sure I am not getting in. But that damn 0.1% is driving me nuts.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Schools:Tuck (accepted R2), HBS, Sloan (rejected R2), Darden
GPA: 3.41
Send PM
gmatbschool wrote:
GordonBombay wrote:

I'm a little bit jealous :?
Not only do these people have high-flying-in-the-know-sloan-grad friends who take the time to write them a letter of support and have direct lines to Mr.Garcia .... but they ALSO get put out of their misery sooner than us :(

I am 99.9% sure I am not getting in. But that damn 0.1% is driving me nuts.

Well, it doesn't seem like having such friends helped them that much, and I think it's rather unprofessional to disclose admissions information to people like that.

I'm getting a little nervous, but it seems like only a small group out of NYC has gotten invites, is that right?
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
I second that... seems like not too many people out of NYC have reported interviews. However, could someone who received one let us know whether a lot of interview slots are still open? That may indicate whether all interview invites have gone out for the NYC region.

Thanks!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 46 [0]
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
Schools:Stanford '12
GMAT 2: 710
GPA: 3.9
WE 1: Wall Street Finance
WE 2: Entrepreneurship
Send PM
hi fellow posters, just to clarify a couple of things:

[mtorc1] - my definition of letter of support (LOS) = a reference letter sent directly to the admin office speaking from a personal point of view - yes, this is in addition to the required letters of recommendation.
[mtorc1/gordonbombay] - yes, it seems like LOS dont necessarily matter in the grand scheme of things (my friend did think that this was weighed more at MIT compared to other schools tho). not sure if everyone that sends one gets a response from Garcia (my other Sloan grad friend doesnt appear to have gotten one).
[bwizzle] - the comment about Stanford was almost a direct quote from Garcia (i am not disputing or supporting it)
[gmatbschool/gordonbombay] - i did think it was rather unprofessional of MIT to release that information to a third party, but i was also glad to be put out of my misery and i actually appreciated hearing it from a friend.
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  34   35   36   37   38   39   40   41  ...  45