Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Apr 2014, 19:22

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling All Fall 2010 MIT Sloan Applicants

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
Current Student
Joined: 29 Oct 2009
Posts: 149
Schools: Chicago Booth Class of 2012
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 19

Re: Calling All Fall 2010 MIT Sloan Applicants [#permalink] New post 03 Mar 2010, 16:50
grandjete wrote:
Does this mean if we don't receive an invitation by tomorrow, it's either a ding or WL on Friday? Fun. Did anyone receive an invite today? Any Canadians?

No. Some people don't hear on the mid-decision day. I think all those people get invites, but I'm not positive.
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 16 Sep 2009
Posts: 89
Schools: Chicago Booth - Class of 2012
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 3

Re: Calling All Fall 2010 MIT Sloan Applicants [#permalink] New post 03 Mar 2010, 16:55
shana22 wrote:
grandjete wrote:
Does this mean if we don't receive an invitation by tomorrow, it's either a ding or WL on Friday? Fun. Did anyone receive an invite today? Any Canadians?

No. Some people don't hear on the mid-decision day. I think all those people get invites, but I'm not positive.

WL will probably come after "ding day." I was deferred in R1 without interview and I learned about it after the "ding day."
Intern
Intern
User avatar
Joined: 29 Jan 2010
Posts: 6
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: Calling All Fall 2010 MIT Sloan Applicants [#permalink] New post 03 Mar 2010, 16:57
shana22 wrote:
grandjete wrote:
Does this mean if we don't receive an invitation by tomorrow, it's either a ding or WL on Friday? Fun. Did anyone receive an invite today?
Any Canadians?

No. Some people don't hear on the mid-decision day. I think all those people get invites, but I'm not positive.



phew... I don't know why, but for some reason I feel slightly relieved. I think I'm starting to get used to waiting and not hearing from these schools.
Intern
Intern
User avatar
Joined: 29 Jan 2010
Posts: 6
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: Calling All Fall 2010 MIT Sloan Applicants [#permalink] New post 03 Mar 2010, 17:01
johnngalt wrote:
WL will probably come after "ding day." I was deferred in R1 without interview and I learned about it after the "ding day."


ah crap!
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Joined: 24 Feb 2010
Posts: 43
Schools: Sloan, Cornell, Insead and IMD
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [1] , given: 1

Re: Calling All Fall 2010 MIT Sloan Applicants [#permalink] New post 03 Mar 2010, 22:37
1
This post received
KUDOS
Any internationalls with an invite?
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Joined: 05 Sep 2009
Posts: 93
Schools: Stanford '12
WE 1: Wall Street Finance
WE 2: Entrepreneurship
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 38 [1] , given: 18

Re: Calling All Fall 2010 MIT Sloan Applicants [#permalink] New post 04 Mar 2010, 04:29
1
This post received
KUDOS
anandnesan wrote:
I got the news that I am dinged through my wife - she was a MIT grad (not Sloan) and had written a letter of support to Rod. She got a personal e-mail from Rod informing her of the bad news. He also mentioned that I will be officially notified this Friday.

Bummed but glad that I at least have one admit. Good luck to everyone else.


yah. i got the news yesterday that i am dinged through a good friend of mine (Sloan grad) that wrote a letter of support to Rod as well. Rod did not mention a time, but said that all he could relay was that applications were extremely competitive this year (12 apps for 1 spot) and that truly only stanford would be comparable.

it was extremely disappointing considering that i felt my application essays were rock strong (i had two sloan graduates review them excessively and then send an LOS after submission, they were both really sure i would at least get an interview). plus i had been 2 for 2 for those schools where i had this opinion so it was also a bit disconcerting as it reminded me i have no offers from any school yet and despite interviews or what i think, its still a possibility i get dinged everywhere.

i do not mean to be dramatic for those of you who have not received invites from any schools, but for me it is still indeed a sobering thot. anyway. good luck to those who receive MIT interviews. youve earned it in a banner year. cheers
Intern
Intern
Joined: 01 Dec 2009
Posts: 34
Location: Philadephia, PA
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling All Fall 2010 MIT Sloan Applicants [#permalink] New post 04 Mar 2010, 07:13
quantjock wrote:
anandnesan wrote:
I got the news that I am dinged through my wife - she was a MIT grad (not Sloan) and had written a letter of support to Rod. She got a personal e-mail from Rod informing her of the bad news. He also mentioned that I will be officially notified this Friday.

Bummed but glad that I at least have one admit. Good luck to everyone else.


yah. i got the news yesterday that i am dinged through a good friend of mine (Sloan grad) that wrote a letter of support to Rod as well. Rod did not mention a time, but said that all he could relay was that applications were extremely competitive this year (12 apps for 1 spot) and that truly only stanford would be comparable.

it was extremely disappointing considering that i felt my application essays were rock strong (i had two sloan graduates review them excessively and then send an LOS after submission, they were both really sure i would at least get an interview). plus i had been 2 for 2 for those schools where i had this opinion so it was also a bit disconcerting as it reminded me i have no offers from any school yet and despite interviews or what i think, its still a possibility i get dinged everywhere.

i do not mean to be dramatic for those of you who have not received invites from any schools, but for me it is still indeed a sobering thot. anyway. good luck to those who receive MIT interviews. youve earned it in a banner year. cheers


To those that have indirectly heard from Rod Garcia:

What is a letter of support? Do you mean a letter of recommendation or a supplemental/personal letter to Garcia? If it is the former, does every MIT alum who wrote a letter get such a response from Rod Garcia?
Intern
Intern
Joined: 21 Jan 2010
Posts: 28
Location: Washington, DC
Schools: Tuck (accepted R2), HBS, Sloan (rejected R2), Darden
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 1

Re: Calling All Fall 2010 MIT Sloan Applicants [#permalink] New post 04 Mar 2010, 07:23
Am I the only one that's a little shocked to hear that MIT releases admissions decisions to third parties before it notifies the applicant?

As if it's not bad enough to hear from the school you've been denied, but to hear it unofficially from a friend first would be terrible.
Intern
Intern
User avatar
Joined: 01 Mar 2010
Posts: 19
Location: Mexico
Schools: Duke R2, MIT R2, NCSU R2, Georgia Tech
WE 1: Technology Management - 5 years
WE 2: Supply Chain Management - 1 year
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 18

Re: Calling All Fall 2010 MIT Sloan Applicants [#permalink] New post 04 Mar 2010, 07:25
knfevg wrote:
Any internationalls with an invite?


I applied from Mexico and still have not received an interview invitation.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 09 Jul 2009
Posts: 53
Schools: HBS
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 13 [1] , given: 2

Re: Calling All Fall 2010 MIT Sloan Applicants [#permalink] New post 04 Mar 2010, 08:12
1
This post received
KUDOS
Go MIT!

Last edited by bwizzle on 14 Apr 2010, 13:32, edited 1 time in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 20 Mar 2008
Posts: 457
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 54 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling All Fall 2010 MIT Sloan Applicants [#permalink] New post 04 Mar 2010, 08:27
Someone B-week posted of an interview invite for mid-west! :shock:

*goes back to the e-mail window, and stares at the screen...hoping to force an invite*
Current Student
Joined: 06 Oct 2009
Posts: 594
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 56 [0], given: 295

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling All Fall 2010 MIT Sloan Applicants [#permalink] New post 04 Mar 2010, 08:39
Jivana wrote:
Someone B-week posted of an interview invite for mid-west! :shock:

*goes back to the e-mail window, and stares at the screen...hoping to force an invite*


my plan: omg omg omg...hooks up laptop to projector/TV and open email...becomes a couch potato and plays bee-gee's "staying alive"

now only if dratted work doesn't get in the way :P
Current Student
Joined: 29 Oct 2009
Posts: 149
Schools: Chicago Booth Class of 2012
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 19

Re: Calling All Fall 2010 MIT Sloan Applicants [#permalink] New post 04 Mar 2010, 08:51
bwizzle wrote:
but let's be honest, comparing it to Stanford's selectivity is extreme and incorrect.

I'm not sure I understand this point. If MIT has an acceptance rate of ~9% for the class of 2012, wouldn't that likely make it the 2nd most selective school in all the land (to Stanford)?
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 09 Jul 2009
Posts: 53
Schools: HBS
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 2

Re: Calling All Fall 2010 MIT Sloan Applicants [#permalink] New post 04 Mar 2010, 09:00
Go MIT!

Last edited by bwizzle on 14 Apr 2010, 13:32, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
User avatar
Joined: 01 Mar 2010
Posts: 19
Location: Mexico
Schools: Duke R2, MIT R2, NCSU R2, Georgia Tech
WE 1: Technology Management - 5 years
WE 2: Supply Chain Management - 1 year
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 18

Re: Calling All Fall 2010 MIT Sloan Applicants [#permalink] New post 04 Mar 2010, 09:10
bwizzle wrote:

577 admits / 4704 applicants = 12.2% MIT accept rate. Contrast with 7-8% at Stanford -- 50% difference.

Not that I'm a fan of Stanford's ridiculous selectivity.


Me neither

Last edited by aolaiz on 04 Mar 2010, 09:31, edited 1 time in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 20 Mar 2008
Posts: 457
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 54 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling All Fall 2010 MIT Sloan Applicants [#permalink] New post 04 Mar 2010, 09:26
Jivana wrote:
Someone B-week posted of an interview invite for mid-west! :shock:

*goes back to the e-mail window, and stares at the screen...hoping to force an invite*


Houston, we have a problem...staring at the screen is not working. :wall

Please advice! :stupid
Manager
Manager
Joined: 18 Jul 2009
Posts: 112
Schools: MIT
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 5

Re: Calling All Fall 2010 MIT Sloan Applicants [#permalink] New post 04 Mar 2010, 10:38
GordonBombay wrote:
Am I the only one that's a little shocked to hear that MIT releases admissions decisions to third parties before it notifies the applicant?

As if it's not bad enough to hear from the school you've been denied, but to hear it unofficially from a friend first would be terrible.


I'm a little bit jealous :?
Not only do these people have high-flying-in-the-know-sloan-grad friends who take the time to write them a letter of support and have direct lines to Mr.Garcia .... but they ALSO get put out of their misery sooner than us :(

I am 99.9% sure I am not getting in. But that damn 0.1% is driving me nuts.
Intern
Intern
Joined: 21 Jan 2010
Posts: 28
Location: Washington, DC
Schools: Tuck (accepted R2), HBS, Sloan (rejected R2), Darden
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 1

Re: Calling All Fall 2010 MIT Sloan Applicants [#permalink] New post 04 Mar 2010, 12:06
gmatbschool wrote:
GordonBombay wrote:
Am I the only one that's a little shocked to hear that MIT releases admissions decisions to third parties before it notifies the applicant?

As if it's not bad enough to hear from the school you've been denied, but to hear it unofficially from a friend first would be terrible.


I'm a little bit jealous :?
Not only do these people have high-flying-in-the-know-sloan-grad friends who take the time to write them a letter of support and have direct lines to Mr.Garcia .... but they ALSO get put out of their misery sooner than us :(

I am 99.9% sure I am not getting in. But that damn 0.1% is driving me nuts.


Well, it doesn't seem like having such friends helped them that much, and I think it's rather unprofessional to disclose admissions information to people like that.

I'm getting a little nervous, but it seems like only a small group out of NYC has gotten invites, is that right?
Intern
Intern
Joined: 03 Mar 2010
Posts: 17
Location: New York
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling All Fall 2010 MIT Sloan Applicants [#permalink] New post 04 Mar 2010, 12:23
I second that... seems like not too many people out of NYC have reported interviews. However, could someone who received one let us know whether a lot of interview slots are still open? That may indicate whether all interview invites have gone out for the NYC region.

Thanks!
Current Student
Joined: 05 Sep 2009
Posts: 93
Schools: Stanford '12
WE 1: Wall Street Finance
WE 2: Entrepreneurship
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 18

Re: Calling All Fall 2010 MIT Sloan Applicants [#permalink] New post 04 Mar 2010, 12:42
hi fellow posters, just to clarify a couple of things:

[mtorc1] - my definition of letter of support (LOS) = a reference letter sent directly to the admin office speaking from a personal point of view - yes, this is in addition to the required letters of recommendation.
[mtorc1/gordonbombay] - yes, it seems like LOS dont necessarily matter in the grand scheme of things (my friend did think that this was weighed more at MIT compared to other schools tho). not sure if everyone that sends one gets a response from Garcia (my other Sloan grad friend doesnt appear to have gotten one).
[bwizzle] - the comment about Stanford was almost a direct quote from Garcia (i am not disputing or supporting it)
[gmatbschool/gordonbombay] - i did think it was rather unprofessional of MIT to release that information to a third party, but i was also glad to be put out of my misery and i actually appreciated hearing it from a friend.
Re: Calling All Fall 2010 MIT Sloan Applicants   [#permalink] 04 Mar 2010, 12:42
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
Popular new posts 4 Calling all MIT Sloan 2008 applicants mNeo 619 13 Aug 2007, 21:02
New posts Calling All Fall 2010 MIT Sloan Applicants (Interview Poll) hankpunk 1 09 Dec 2009, 01:49
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. New 286 Experts publish their posts in the topic Calling all MIT Sloan Fall 2011 Applicants! RogerDodger 2142 06 Aug 2010, 15:53
Popular new posts 4 Calling All MIT Sloan Fall 2011 WAITLISTED mysamgmatclub 40 01 Feb 2011, 06:33
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Calling All Fall 2010 MIT Sloan Applicants

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  34   35   36   37   38   39   40   41  ...  45    Next  [ 898 posts ] 



GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.