Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Apr 2014, 16:53

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling All Fall 2010 MIT Sloan Applicants

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Current Student
Schools: Ross 2012
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling All Fall 2010 MIT Sloan Applicants [#permalink] New post 15 Oct 2009, 09:09
Does anyone know if MIT admissions process is anything like rolling admissions? I submitted my application on October 1, but I'm still waiting on a recommender to submit his recommendation. If it's anything like rolling admissions, I need to give him a call.

Respect my Authoritaaah!

Intern
Intern
Schools: HBS, Stanford, Sloan & Haas (interview withdrawn)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 1

Re: Calling All Fall 2010 MIT Sloan Applicants [#permalink] New post 15 Oct 2009, 09:23
I tried again today and had no problems with the app forms.

Submitted R1 (still waiting for one recommender that seems to wait until the last minute though).
SVP
SVP
Schools: Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
WE 1: IB - Restructuring & Distressed M&A
Followers: 69

Kudos [?]: 684 [0], given: 548

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: Calling All Fall 2010 MIT Sloan Applicants [#permalink] New post 15 Oct 2009, 16:46
ROLL CALL PG UPDATED
Current Student
Schools: MIT Sloan
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling All Fall 2010 MIT Sloan Applicants [#permalink] New post 16 Oct 2009, 12:58
No rolling admissions, get that recommendation letter in by the deadline. I know the adcom folks can be a bit forgiving, but I wouldn't count on it.
Current Student
Schools: MIT Sloan

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling All Fall 2010 MIT Sloan Applicants [#permalink] New post 16 Oct 2009, 13:08
Sure thing. I am sticking with one example and in order to make it dense...I am devoting 1/3rd essay on making the stage.

for ex: For #3 - Please describe a time when you took responsibility for achieving an objective.

I have spent ~100 words settgin up the stage and how I fit in. I also explained why did I chose to take the responsibility.

Is that the right way?

thanks in advacne[/quote]

Setting the stage is certainly a key piece, I know most of the adcom folks and they work damn hard since they read every application with their small staff. If you can capture their attention and pull them into the story, all the better. I'm sure they get quite a few cookie cutter essays. One of them told me they read up to 10 apps a day between the deadline and interview announcement.
Intern
Intern
Schools: Stern

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 2

Re: Calling All Fall 2010 MIT Sloan Applicants [#permalink] New post 17 Oct 2009, 09:03
I like these essays a lot. Applying R2 if I don't hear from Stern R1 by early Dec...
Current Student
Schools: Kellogg Class of 2012
WE 1: Energy Risk Consulting
WE 2: Commodities Finance

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 11

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling All Fall 2010 MIT Sloan Applicants [#permalink] New post 17 Oct 2009, 16:18
MMtrader wrote:
I like these essays a lot. Applying R2 if I don't hear from Stern R1 by early Dec...

keep in mind that Sloan R2 = R3 at other schools.
Current Student

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling All Fall 2010 MIT Sloan Applicants [#permalink] New post 17 Oct 2009, 16:25
clarksdv2 wrote:
No rolling admissions, get that recommendation letter in by the deadline. I know the adcom folks can be a bit forgiving, but I wouldn't count on it.

Great! Thanks!

Respect my Authoritaaah!

Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 56 [0], given: 7

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling All Fall 2010 MIT Sloan Applicants [#permalink] New post 17 Oct 2009, 20:42
clarksdv2 wrote:
Sure thing. I am sticking with one example and in order to make it dense...I am devoting 1/3rd essay on making the stage.

for ex: For #3 - Please describe a time when you took responsibility for achieving an objective.

I have spent ~100 words settgin up the stage and how I fit in. I also explained why did I chose to take the responsibility.

Is that the right way?

thanks in advacne

Setting the stage is certainly a key piece, I know most of the adcom folks and they work damn hard since they read every application with their small staff. If you can capture their attention and pull them into the story, all the better. I'm sure they get quite a few cookie cutter essays. One of them told me they read up to 10 apps a day between the deadline and interview announcement.[/quote]

Hey clarks .. thanks for confirming. I tried my best and hope they like it. Thanks for comfirmign that we need to set up the stage... I was discussing this with one of my friends and he said i am wasting words for sth that is not being asked. But I see your pt that this is a prerequisite.
Current Student
WE 1: Energy Risk Consulting
WE 2: Commodities Finance

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 11

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling All Fall 2010 MIT Sloan Applicants [#permalink] New post 19 Oct 2009, 22:48
In creating the cover letter, how critical is it to minimize overlap between other essays? I realize its best to diversify, but my biggest impact on an org is also one of my biggest professional accomplishments. I'd rather put my best foot forward in the cover letter.
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 7

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling All Fall 2010 MIT Sloan Applicants [#permalink] New post 19 Oct 2009, 23:05
unhedged, I am (procrastinating from) writing the cover letter right now :roll:
My current plan is to detail my biggest impact, and then just list my accomplishments. Cramming all this and showing fit with MIT in 500 words is quite a challenge! I am actually concerned about being redundant between the cover letter and my resume, but I think it is expected since the resume is a list of qualifications and accomplishments.
Current Student

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling All Fall 2010 MIT Sloan Applicants [#permalink] New post 20 Oct 2009, 03:49
Recommender still hasn't completed the recommendation form. Guess it's time to send him another reminder, since there's only a week left. Hope he completes it before the deadline.

Respect my Authoritaaah!

Manager
Manager
Schools: MIT
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 5

Re: Calling All Fall 2010 MIT Sloan Applicants [#permalink] New post 20 Oct 2009, 07:25
What does the previous post mean that R2 at Sloan is like R3?
Does their acceptance rate drop significantly? Any numbers for that?
Current Student

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling All Fall 2010 MIT Sloan Applicants [#permalink] New post 20 Oct 2009, 07:47
gmatbschool wrote:

Sloan only has two rounds, so R2 is like R3 at other schools that have 3 rounds. And yes, your chances drop significantly.

Respect my Authoritaaah!

Current Student

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling All Fall 2010 MIT Sloan Applicants [#permalink] New post 20 Oct 2009, 07:52
milias wrote:
gmatbschool wrote:

Sloan only has two rounds, so R2 is like R3 at other schools that have 3 rounds. And yes, your chances drop significantly.

According to Adcom, they typically get half of each class from each round. R2 is usually larger than R1, so it is a bit more competitive, but I don't think it is quite the same as R3 at other schools, where you are basically competing for a handful of unfilled seats.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 56 [0], given: 7

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling All Fall 2010 MIT Sloan Applicants [#permalink] New post 20 Oct 2009, 09:43
unhedged wrote:
In creating the cover letter, how critical is it to minimize overlap between other essays? I realize its best to diversify, but my biggest impact on an org is also one of my biggest professional accomplishments. I'd rather put my best foot forward in the cover letter..

IMO Dont worry about the redundancy. You have to put your best foot forth with cover letter. And then explain them in detail in other essays. For ex.. I expanding my two accomplishments in my other essays.
Intern
Intern
Schools: IIMC, ISB, Booth, MIT, Emory

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: Calling All Fall 2010 MIT Sloan Applicants [#permalink] New post 20 Oct 2009, 10:50
I am also pushing for R1. Started my app on Sunday. Hope to finish by Sunday. My recommender probably is attending the Sharepoint Conference - so will need him to submit pretty soon as well when he comes back on Fri.

I had one question for essay 1 - "you went beyong what was defined, expected, established, or popular". My example does not have the popular aspect of the question. It just talks about what was defined, expected and established. My act definitely was popular. Does this really make a difference?

http://adabass.blogspot.com
"Be the change you want to see in the world"
-- Mahatma Gandhi

Last edited by adabass on 20 Oct 2009, 11:04, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Schools: MIT, UCLA, Texas

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 3

Re: Calling All Fall 2010 MIT Sloan Applicants [#permalink] New post 20 Oct 2009, 11:02
adabass wrote:
I am also pushing for R1. Started my app on Sunday. Hope to finish by Sunday. My recommender probably is attending the Sharepoint best practices conference - so will need him to submit pretty soon as well when he comes back on Fri.

I had one question for essay 1 - "you went beyong what was defined, expected, established, or popular". My example does not have the popular aspect of the question. It just talks about what was defined, expected and established. My act definitely was popular. Does this really make a difference?

The question says: defined, expected, established, or popular. Because it says "or", it does not need to address all of these points.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 2

Re: Calling All Fall 2010 MIT Sloan Applicants [#permalink] New post 20 Oct 2009, 23:50
adabass wrote:
I am also pushing for R1. Started my app on Sunday. Hope to finish by Sunday. My recommender probably is attending the Sharepoint Conference - so will need him to submit pretty soon as well when he comes back on Fri.

Wow looks like people are quick here. I just started on Essay 1 today. Looks like this is gonna go down to the wire too.
good luck !!
Current Student

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling All Fall 2010 MIT Sloan Applicants [#permalink] New post 21 Oct 2009, 00:19
Are people counting the headers and signatures in their word counts for the cover letter? MIT is very specific on limits for the resume and essays, so I am being extra careful to be under the limits... I wouldn't be surprised if they automated word and line counting of submitted materials somehow.
Re: Calling All Fall 2010 MIT Sloan Applicants   [#permalink] 21 Oct 2009, 00:19