Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Sep 2014, 11:55

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling All Fall 2010 Washington U. (Olin) Applicants!

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 11 Dec 2008
Posts: 17
Schools: Washington University (Olin)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling All Fall 2010 Washington U. (Olin) Applicants! [#permalink] New post 23 Feb 2010, 09:51
bigdre,

Thanks for pointing that out. I haven't updated my profile since I started applying to schools and I haven't posted on here since I was going through the process of applying. I was on the waitlist for Kellogg and took my name off once I decided on Olin. So, no idea if I ever would have been accepted.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 19 Sep 2009
Posts: 45
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 2

Re: Calling All Fall 2010 Washington U. (Olin) Applicants! [#permalink] New post 23 Feb 2010, 22:58
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 21 Jan 2010
Posts: 190
Location: Ohio
Schools: Indiana Kelley/Class of 2012/Full tuition $$
WE 1: Healthcare/Biomedical Research
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 3

Re: Calling All Fall 2010 Washington U. (Olin) Applicants! [#permalink] New post 24 Feb 2010, 03:02
ksjhawk wrote:


Thanx ksjhawk. Nice article!

Posted from my mobile device Image
_________________

Leadership is not really about telling people what to do — a strategy that doesn't always work. It's about creating an environment where people can speak up, where we can get into debates without becoming confrontational or negative. [It's] about getting people to bring all of themselves to the table." - DuPont CEO Ellen Kullman; Kellogg '83

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 21 Jan 2010
Posts: 190
Location: Ohio
Schools: Indiana Kelley/Class of 2012/Full tuition $$
WE 1: Healthcare/Biomedical Research
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 3

Re: Calling All Fall 2010 Washington U. (Olin) Applicants! [#permalink] New post 24 Feb 2010, 09:21
mbsappy8 wrote:
Hey All,

I'm a current first year student at Olin, so take what I have to say with a grain of salt. I'm going to try and address a lot of what everyone has been questioning/wondering/pondering.

1. Kelley does have a great program and their career services is a big reason for their success. Last year, in January I think, Olin hired their assistant director of career services to run the career services at Olin. So, a lot of the same methods that have brought success for Kelley in career services are being applied at Olin. I'm not saying that Olin is at the same level as Kelley in these regards but career services is working their tail off to utilize the extensive Olin and Washington University networks to find/create internship opportunities and jobs for Olin MBA students in this down economy. Which brings me to my second point.

2. Olin's network, though small and not as prestigious as many of the top schools that Olin likes to think it competes with, has been invaluable in my internship search. Beyond that, however, is the Washington University network, which is vast and full of success stories. Olin is Washington University's worst ranked graduate school. Every other graduate school is ranked higher from the Med School (#3) to School of Social Work (#1) (Is that a good thing or a bad thing :/). In addition Washington University's undergrad jBSBA program is ranked 15th in the nation. Therefore there is an extensive group of excellent graduates in the market with which you can build your network

3. St. Louis is what it is. It's a medium sized city with it's ups and downs. I have classmates from New York, LA, Miami, San Fran, Chicago, Dallas, Houston, Hawaii, India, China, Israel, Nigeria, Honduras, etc. Surprisingly, they don't find St. Louis to be that bad, though admittedly, most miss their homes to some degree. On the surface, St. Louis looks like it doesn't have much to offer, but once you get to know the city, there is a lot more to do than you'd think.

4. As far as part-time programs go, I don't think it should reflect on the full-time. They are two different animals entirely. However, I understand the concerns with the market being flooded with people that may not reflect as well on the full-time program. It is important to understand that all of the part-time students are St. Louis residents and likely plan to stay that way. Full-time students, however, end up outside of st. louis much more often than they end up in St. Louis. Regardless, if you wanted to stay in St. Louis, Olin's program is highly regarded, both part-time and full-time.

5. Olin is working on expansion plans for the building, namely into the parking lot right next to it. We'll see where that goes.

6. There are lots of opportunities at Olin and to Washington University as a whole to be involved in practicums inside and outside of the US. One of my classmates is going to Madagascar for a couple weeks over spring break as a part of his practicum. Others are going on GMS (Global Management Summit) trips to Japan and Beijing, I think, to visit executives from global companies (much like other business schools).


All that being said, my decision wasn't easy. I had other admits at lower and higher ranked schools, however, the decision to go to Olin was framed by my campus visit and the scholarship offer. I have a relatively high GMAT score, solid GPA, and 4 years of work experience. I had opportunities outside of Olin but when I visited the school and sat in on class, it just felt right. Then, during admit weekend, I met my potential fellow classmates and realized what Olin had in mind when they recruited. My Business School experience to date, has been every bit as challenging and enjoyable as I could have ever expected and I don't regret my decision. You work hard, you make the most of the experience (clubs, internships, practicums, etc.), and the opportunities after graduation are there if you put forth the effort. If you all have any questions, let me know.

Best of luck in your MBA search. It's a stressful but exciting time!


mbsappy8, thanks for your candid insights. Would you mind sharing your pre-MBA WE and post MBA interests/plans?
_________________

Leadership is not really about telling people what to do — a strategy that doesn't always work. It's about creating an environment where people can speak up, where we can get into debates without becoming confrontational or negative. [It's] about getting people to bring all of themselves to the table." - DuPont CEO Ellen Kullman; Kellogg '83

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 11 Dec 2008
Posts: 17
Schools: Washington University (Olin)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling All Fall 2010 Washington U. (Olin) Applicants! [#permalink] New post 24 Feb 2010, 11:20
Sure,

I worked 4 years for a life science and biotech research chemical provider mostly in sales and marketing analysis roles. I have a bachelor's in chemistry and 30 hours of business courses which made the company a good fit. I'm a bit in the air on two focus areas Brand Management and Strategy Consulting. I have a Brand Management internship lined up for the summer with a CPG firm.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 03 Mar 2009
Posts: 23
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling All Fall 2010 Washington U. (Olin) Applicants! [#permalink] New post 25 Feb 2010, 10:05
Hi everyone,

I was recently on the road for business and I came across a Wash U Olin grad while in Paris. We exchanged cards and he was nice enough to give me his "two cents" on his experience. I thought some of his thoughts might help all of you like it did me.

He said he would give his overall experience a grade of B to B plus. The biggest positive in his view was the academic experience - he said it was "exceptional" and "awesome". He focused on finance and accounting courses, and he said it was very rigorous and all-out tough coursework. He is now a hedge fund analyst in London and he thought his preparation for finance was just as good (if not better) as his peers from top 10 schools.

About the students, he said the top quarter is very good - mostly people who got scholarship offers and could have made it at Kellogg, U Chicago, etc. He said the school definitely caters to its students and goes out of their way to help and provide resources. He said he didn't remember any activities or clubs, they didn't stand out in his head as particularly important.

About the career services, he did not use them. He already knew what he wanted to do out of B-school and built his own network and that is how he got the job he wanted. He said the small class size of 150 is not good for the school's ability to attract recruiters. He said outright - "if you are looking at B-school as a gateway to a job, Wash U is not the place for you". He recommended going in like he did - have a clear goal job and work the networks and resources to get it.

For perspective, he graduated from Olin in 1999 so things have obviously changed.

Anyway - hope it's helpful.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 11 Jan 2010
Posts: 14
Location: NYC
Schools: MIT, NYU, Yale, Darden, McCombs
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling All Fall 2010 Washington U. (Olin) Applicants! [#permalink] New post 25 Feb 2010, 10:22
Can anyone comment on the healthcare opportunities coming out of Olin? They seem to have a disproportionate number of students (30% according to their employment report) going into healthcare/pharma/biotech. This is intriguing. Even considering the small class size, this means they placed 50 students into the field.
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 21 Jan 2010
Posts: 190
Location: Ohio
Schools: Indiana Kelley/Class of 2012/Full tuition $$
WE 1: Healthcare/Biomedical Research
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 3

Re: Calling All Fall 2010 Washington U. (Olin) Applicants! [#permalink] New post 25 Feb 2010, 10:59
mbsappy8 wrote:
Sure,

I worked 4 years for a life science and biotech research chemical provider mostly in sales and marketing analysis roles. I have a bachelor's in chemistry and 30 hours of business courses which made the company a good fit. I'm a bit in the air on two focus areas Brand Management and Strategy Consulting. I have a Brand Management internship lined up for the summer with a CPG firm.


Thanks mbasappy! I am also considering Strategy/Bus Dev/Consulting. Congratulations on your internship and good luck! Hope you return with a job offer!
_________________

Leadership is not really about telling people what to do — a strategy that doesn't always work. It's about creating an environment where people can speak up, where we can get into debates without becoming confrontational or negative. [It's] about getting people to bring all of themselves to the table." - DuPont CEO Ellen Kullman; Kellogg '83

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 21 Jan 2010
Posts: 190
Location: Ohio
Schools: Indiana Kelley/Class of 2012/Full tuition $$
WE 1: Healthcare/Biomedical Research
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 3

Re: Calling All Fall 2010 Washington U. (Olin) Applicants! [#permalink] New post 25 Feb 2010, 11:12
Twinks wrote:
Hi everyone,

I was recently on the road for business and I came across a Wash U Olin grad while in Paris. We exchanged cards and he was nice enough to give me his "two cents" on his experience. I thought some of his thoughts might help all of you like it did me.

He said he would give his overall experience a grade of B to B plus. The biggest positive in his view was the academic experience - he said it was "exceptional" and "awesome". He focused on finance and accounting courses, and he said it was very rigorous and all-out tough coursework. He is now a hedge fund analyst in London and he thought his preparation for finance was just as good (if not better) as his peers from top 10 schools.

About the students, he said the top quarter is very good - mostly people who got scholarship offers and could have made it at Kellogg, U Chicago, etc. He said the school definitely caters to its students and goes out of their way to help and provide resources. He said he didn't remember any activities or clubs, they didn't stand out in his head as particularly important.

About the career services, he did not use them. He already knew what he wanted to do out of B-school and built his own network and that is how he got the job he wanted. He said the small class size of 150 is not good for the school's ability to attract recruiters. He said outright - "if you are looking at B-school as a gateway to a job, Wash U is not the place for you". He recommended going in like he did - have a clear goal job and work the networks and resources to get it.

For perspective, he graduated from Olin in 1999 so things have obviously changed.

Anyway - hope it's helpful.


Hello Twinks, our globetrotting dudette :-D

Thanks your update from across the pond. One thing stood out to me: the guy was very frank and candid. On the plus side, as I noted in one of my earlier post here, if you study hard and do your part at most BW top-20 programs, you can out-compete and out-wow fellas from "wow"-top-10 schools. I also picked up a point from his comment about class size. I always thought the smaller class sizes are better (I went to a small liberal arts college for undergrad and liked the small student-to-faculty ratio) but it appears therez some utility (especially in this tough economy) to larger B-school class sizes.

Nice pointers to all of us too! Will his input have any effect on your upcoming decision? Made up your mind yet?
_________________

Leadership is not really about telling people what to do — a strategy that doesn't always work. It's about creating an environment where people can speak up, where we can get into debates without becoming confrontational or negative. [It's] about getting people to bring all of themselves to the table." - DuPont CEO Ellen Kullman; Kellogg '83

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 04 Feb 2010
Posts: 35
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 3

Re: Calling All Fall 2010 Washington U. (Olin) Applicants! [#permalink] New post 25 Feb 2010, 11:17
Thanks Twinks ... Interesting perspective.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 19 Sep 2009
Posts: 45
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 2

Re: Calling All Fall 2010 Washington U. (Olin) Applicants! [#permalink] New post 28 Feb 2010, 16:13
My decision (and deposit) are due tomorrow. Anyone making a decision now?
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 05 Nov 2009
Posts: 31
WE 1: 5 years
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

Re: Calling All Fall 2010 Washington U. (Olin) Applicants! [#permalink] New post 01 Mar 2010, 04:12
Case2010 wrote:
Twinks wrote:
Hi everyone,

I was recently on the road for business and I came across a Wash U Olin grad while in Paris. We exchanged cards and he was nice enough to give me his "two cents" on his experience. I thought some of his thoughts might help all of you like it did me.

He said he would give his overall experience a grade of B to B plus. The biggest positive in his view was the academic experience - he said it was "exceptional" and "awesome". He focused on finance and accounting courses, and he said it was very rigorous and all-out tough coursework. He is now a hedge fund analyst in London and he thought his preparation for finance was just as good (if not better) as his peers from top 10 schools.

About the students, he said the top quarter is very good - mostly people who got scholarship offers and could have made it at Kellogg, U Chicago, etc. He said the school definitely caters to its students and goes out of their way to help and provide resources. He said he didn't remember any activities or clubs, they didn't stand out in his head as particularly important.

About the career services, he did not use them. He already knew what he wanted to do out of B-school and built his own network and that is how he got the job he wanted. He said the small class size of 150 is not good for the school's ability to attract recruiters. He said outright - "if you are looking at B-school as a gateway to a job, Wash U is not the place for you". He recommended going in like he did - have a clear goal job and work the networks and resources to get it.

For perspective, he graduated from Olin in 1999 so things have obviously changed.

Anyway - hope it's helpful.


Hello Twinks, our globetrotting dudette :-D

Thanks your update from across the pond. One thing stood out to me: the guy was very frank and candid. On the plus side, as I noted in one of my earlier post here, if you study hard and do your part at most BW top-20 programs, you can out-compete and out-wow fellas from "wow"-top-10 schools. I also picked up a point from his comment about class size. I always thought the smaller class sizes are better (I went to a small liberal arts college for undergrad and liked the small student-to-faculty ratio) but it appears therez some utility (especially in this tough economy) to larger B-school class sizes.

Nice pointers to all of us too! Will his input have any effect on your upcoming decision? Made up your mind yet?



While evaluating B program definitely career service plays a role but question is “does it plays most important role?”

Consider one don’t have solid understanding of business fundamentals and was able to secure job in leading firm, with good package, just because one belongs to Top 10 school. Without a good foundation will the person able to rise in his / her career and provide value to job? This being said academic strength plays major role for career, and Olin with its excellent academic program and smaller class size provides this.

Also, it’s not just about core courses, electives, case competitions, clubs, etc holds importance too. With a Top 10 school’s class of 300 to 400+ sometimes it’s not even possible to enroll in your choice of subjects because of limited seats. Olin has the advantage that one can gain maximum out and don’t have to compromise just because of seats availability

We can take a look on recruiter’s perspective too, Recruiters made most optimized selection of schools based on their past experience and budget. Why would a recruiter visit 50th rank school where out of 100 members class recruiter found at most only one qualifying its expectations. This is the main reason for most good recruiters visit to Top 10. But at the same time if your resume, grades and knowledge are good, then on your contact recruiter will definitely call you for interview. With the evolvement of video interviewing this task had become much easier.

Also, there are lots of schools where regardless of you being first in class recruiters won’t select you because recruiters don’t have trust on School’s academic strength, Luckily Olin doesn’t falls into this category.

I may sound very optimistic above, but definitely if I had an invite from Top 10, I would have gone with it. If one thinks next year one can crack Top 10 and one can wait for a year then please wait. But I must say, selection at Top 10 is bit tricky with no guarantee

And btw, I already deposited my $2000 and will be joining class of 2012. See you guys there

Bye for now
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 21 Jan 2010
Posts: 190
Location: Ohio
Schools: Indiana Kelley/Class of 2012/Full tuition $$
WE 1: Healthcare/Biomedical Research
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 3

Re: Calling All Fall 2010 Washington U. (Olin) Applicants! [#permalink] New post 01 Mar 2010, 06:29
ksjhawk wrote:
My decision (and deposit) are due tomorrow. Anyone making a decision now?

ksjhawk,

Decision day huh? What'z the word?

Posted from my mobile device Image
_________________

Leadership is not really about telling people what to do — a strategy that doesn't always work. It's about creating an environment where people can speak up, where we can get into debates without becoming confrontational or negative. [It's] about getting people to bring all of themselves to the table." - DuPont CEO Ellen Kullman; Kellogg '83

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 29 Nov 2009
Posts: 15
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling All Fall 2010 Washington U. (Olin) Applicants! [#permalink] New post 01 Mar 2010, 15:08
Had my interview this morning. It was very conversational. Did anyone who applied for R2 have an interview already? heard back?
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 01 Sep 2009
Posts: 27
Location: Saudi Arabia
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 4

Re: Calling All Fall 2010 Washington U. (Olin) Applicants! [#permalink] New post 04 Mar 2010, 11:07
Just finished my phone interview. Meh, don't think it went too well :( I was a bit nervous, and I think I over prepared this with HBS-level questions that I didn't grasp the basics.

Oh well, that was my first interview anyway, live and learn :oops:

How long you guys usually waited between interview and decision?
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 07 Jan 2010
Posts: 143
Schools: Michigan 2012
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 10

Re: Calling All Fall 2010 Washington U. (Olin) Applicants! [#permalink] New post 07 Mar 2010, 19:16
Aldrak wrote:
Just finished my phone interview. Meh, don't think it went too well :( I was a bit nervous, and I think I over prepared this with HBS-level questions that I didn't grasp the basics.

Oh well, that was my first interview anyway, live and learn :oops:

How long you guys usually waited between interview and decision?


6 days for me. I just found out I was admitted! I'm so thrilled.

I plan on going to try and see the school. Can anyone provide advice on where to stay or any other travel information?

Thank you, and good luck to all.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 01 Sep 2009
Posts: 27
Location: Saudi Arabia
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 4

Re: Calling All Fall 2010 Washington U. (Olin) Applicants! [#permalink] New post 07 Mar 2010, 21:40
Congrats bigdre!

And admitted here too! :-D

Man that was much more sweeter than HBS's admission process.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 29 Nov 2009
Posts: 15
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling All Fall 2010 Washington U. (Olin) Applicants! [#permalink] New post 07 Mar 2010, 21:46
Did you guys(who got admitted) get a phone call? Someone called me today from Olin but I missed the call.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 01 Sep 2009
Posts: 27
Location: Saudi Arabia
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 4

Re: Calling All Fall 2010 Washington U. (Olin) Applicants! [#permalink] New post 07 Mar 2010, 22:25
bmw4me wrote:
Did you guys(who got admitted) get a phone call? Someone called me today from Olin but I missed the call.


I got it in email. But he mentioned that he wanted to call, but didn't since it was midnight here in Riyadh.

That is very likely an admit call mate :-D
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 07 Jan 2010
Posts: 143
Schools: Michigan 2012
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 10

Re: Calling All Fall 2010 Washington U. (Olin) Applicants! [#permalink] New post 08 Mar 2010, 06:00
Aldrak wrote:
bmw4me wrote:
Did you guys(who got admitted) get a phone call? Someone called me today from Olin but I missed the call.


I got it in email. But he mentioned that he wanted to call, but didn't since it was midnight here in Riyadh.

That is very likely an admit call mate :-D


I would agree. They did leave me a voicemail though.
Re: Calling All Fall 2010 Washington U. (Olin) Applicants!   [#permalink] 08 Mar 2010, 06:00
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
6 Calling All Fall 2010 Washington U. (Olin) Applicants! ksjhawk 158 18 Dec 2009, 23:43
5 Olin 2012 - Calling all Washington University Applicants tstucky 120 06 Sep 2011, 11:56
Calling all U. of Washington (Foster) Fall 2010 Applicants Gmatter111 56 20 Dec 2009, 02:06
1 Calling all Washington U (Olin) Fall 2009 applicants! belfi 8 05 Jan 2009, 15:17
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Calling All Fall 2010 Washington U. (Olin) Applicants!

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8    Next  [ 159 posts ] 



GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.