Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 09:09 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 09:09

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Schools:Duke, Kelley, Olin, Fisher, Boston
 Q50  V40
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Schools:Michigan 2012
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: Calling All Fall 2010 Washington U. (Olin) Applicants! [#permalink]
bigdre,
I guess I'll see you there. I'm planning on coming too. I haven't received my package yet, but I assume it's on the same day. Did you get any scholarships?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I'm trying to decide between Wash U and Emory for a JD/MBA. Both schools are ranked in the same vacinity for both JD and MBA.

Anyone in a similar situation or anyone that can compare and contrast the schools a bit?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Folks,

I was noticing the courses offered at Olin and didn't find any that help with Excel, given how important the tool is in post-MBA finance/operations related careers. However, Kelley and Owen -- two other schools that I have been accepted to -- seem to have a few courses to help students become power users in Excel.

Does the lack of Excel related courses at Olin seem to bother anyone? Just curious.

All the best!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Finance
 Q50  V34
GPA: 3.6
WE 1: 5 years
Send PM
doejohn wrote:
Folks,

I was noticing the courses offered at Olin and didn't find any that help with Excel, given how important the tool is in post-MBA finance/operations related careers. However, Kelley and Owen -- two other schools that I have been accepted to -- seem to have a few courses to help students become power users in Excel.

Does the lack of Excel related courses at Olin seem to bother anyone? Just curious.

All the best!

Hi doejohn,

Yes indeed Excel knowledge is must for post-MBA career. But Olin is much smarter. In place of keeping Excel courses as part of mandatory courses (for which credits will be given towards degree) Olin provides numerous resources to gain this expertise. This gives you an oppotunity to utlize that credits for some extra course which can provide you an edge in job search and your career.

Also, following are few details
1) Olin requires all the admitted students to complete online pre-program before joining the class. Excel is part of this program. So it is covered.
2) Check one of the Olin's club website - https://apps.olin.wustl.edu/orgs/ofc/
Refer the last link for Excel shortcuts
3) Excel is one of the most common tool, there are numerous resources / tutorials available online.......just google :)

Key point is ------- The more you practise the better you become, whenever you come across new function, etc just google and you will find tons of resources online
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi there!

am also Olin admit (Round 1) and paid the 2K deposit.

Received the Welcome binder yesterday. Unfortunately no chance to attend Admit Weekend! :(

Hope to see you all soon...
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [0]
Send PM
I'm probably going to be at admit weekend. Free trip is hard to turn down and it'll give me a chance to see the school a bit.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
 Q45  V41
Send PM
I agree with Reeve on the way Olin handles excel.

I took Excel classes in middle school, when I was 12 years old, literally. At a top business school with some of the top PhD's in business, I don't want to take computer classes on using Microsoft Office. That's just a waste of opportunity!

I do understand pursuing advanced Excel skills, if you don't already have them. I think there are good books at the local Borders that should walk you through lessons.
Intern
Intern
 Q47  V34 GMAT 2: 740  Q48  V44
Send PM
I got an e-mail Sunday night saying I've been waitlisted.

Congrats to all the admits!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
ri0tp00f wrote:

ri0tp00f, you should be getting your congrats you are admitted email soon, because I decided to withdraw my application. I got admitted but didn't get any scholarships. I simply can't afford to lose so much money: 90K mba, ~40K in living expenses, over 150K in wages plus two years of experience and corporate training. Love the school but I decided to go with Kelley Direct. I will reject my offer right away. Hopefully you get my spot. Good luck.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Strategic Management/Corp Innovation:Healthcare/Biotech/Pharma
Schools:Indiana Kelley/Class of 2012/Full tuition $$
WE 1: Healthcare/Biomedical Research
Send PM
bmw4me wrote:
ri0tp00f wrote:

ri0tp00f, you should be getting your congrats you are admitted email soon, because I decided to withdraw my application. I got admitted but didn't get any scholarships. I simply can't afford to lose so much money: 90K mba, ~40K in living expenses, over 150K in wages plus two years of experience and corporate training. Love the school but I decided to go with Kelley Direct. I will reject my offer right away. Hopefully you get my spot. Good luck.

bmw4me, did you apply only to Olin FT? Are you waiting on any other FT admit decision? I like your analysis above very well....
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Case2010 wrote:
bmw4me wrote:
ri0tp00f wrote:

bmw4me, did you apply only to Olin FT? Are you waiting on any other FT admit decision? I like your analysis above very well....

I applied to Olin and BYU this year. BYU dinged me. The only decision I'm still waiting for is Kelley Direct(waiting for recommendations). I'm currently working on my Masters in IT through Harvard University Extension Schools and love every second of it(amazing professors, high quality classes, flexibility). Based on my experience with HES I decided that distance MBA is exactly what I need: diploma, professors and classes from KD is exactly the same as from FT Kelley program, cost is almost nothing(if you count the tuition reimbursement in), I will have 5 years to finish my MBA and I will keep my current job and salary :)
Some may argue by pointing out some drawbacks with distance MBA(limited networking opportunities, asynchronous communication) but those factors are not crucial to me. I work in technology industry, which has a very solid job market and making a huge investment in order to move into fairly weak job market(banking, marketing) in this economy would be simply unwise. But again it's just my opinion.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Strategic Management/Corp Innovation:Healthcare/Biotech/Pharma
Schools:Indiana Kelley/Class of 2012/Full tuition $$
WE 1: Healthcare/Biomedical Research
Send PM
bmw4me wrote:
Case2010 wrote:
bmw4me wrote:

I applied to Olin and BYU this year. BYU dinged me. The only decision I'm still waiting for is Kelley Direct(waiting for recommendations). I'm currently working on my Masters in IT through Harvard University Extension Schools and love every second of it(amazing professors, high quality classes, flexibility). Based on my experience with HES I decided that distance MBA is exactly what I need: diploma, professors and classes from KD is exactly the same as from FT Kelley program, cost is almost nothing(if you count the tuition reimbursement in), I will have 5 years to finish my MBA and I will keep my current job and salary :)
Some may argue by pointing out some drawbacks with distance MBA(limited networking opportunities, asynchronous communication) but those factors are not crucial to me. I work in technology industry, which has a very solid job market and making a huge investment in order to move into fairly weak job market(banking, marketing) in this economy would be simply unwise. But again it's just my opinion.

You opinion makes perfect sense: common, strategic and financial! Way to go! I'll be going to Kelley this fall so we can keep some networking going: I can link you up with promising FT classmates and you do the same in your industry :lol: You never know who might need who in the future, right? How about that :-D ? Good luck!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
sounds like a plan :) way to be proactive and start networking right away :) let's stay in touch.

Case2010 wrote:
Case2010 wrote:
bmw4me wrote:

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
I just got admitted yesterday. I didn't want to ask Evan details about scholarship or Financial aid? How long did it take admitted students to receive their package in mail. I'm in New York Also, did you get an email with Fed-Ex tracking information.
Current Student
Send PM
parore26 wrote:
I just got admitted yesterday. I didn't want to ask Evan details about scholarship or Financial aid? How long did it take admitted students to receive their package in mail. I'm in New York Also, did you get an email with Fed-Ex tracking information.

congrats. no fed ex tracking number. im in nyc also, it took about 3 or 4 days. $ info will be included in the acceptance package.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Schools:Kellog(R3),Olin (R3),Owen (R4),Tepper(R3),Johnson (R4)
Send PM
I applied for R3 and got an interview invite today. Anything unique that WashU asks during the interview?
Current Student
Send PM
GrantChap wrote:
I applied for R3 and got an interview invite today. Anything unique that WashU asks during the interview?

Not really. The interview was pretty classically behavioral. Although some of the phrasing was a little different from other interviews, the core concepts were the same. Of course know the school and why Olin, and be prepared w/ a number of questions. Unlike other interviews mine at Olin seemed to have no time.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts