Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 22:24 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 22:24

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
 Q45  V41
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Affiliations: NABA, AKA
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Investment Management, Wealth Management, Commercial Banking
Schools:Booth (Accepted + 60K!), Kellogg (Accepted + 70K!), Stanford (Ding), Duke (Withdrawn)
 Q45  V41
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Finance
 Q48  V35
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 82
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GPA: 2.97
WE:Sales (Computer Software)
Send PM
Re: Calling All Fall 2010 Washington U. (Olin) Applicants! [#permalink]
Also an admit here! I found out on December 18th.

Really friendly and helpful admissions people.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
 Q50  V34
GPA: 3.6
WE 1: 5 years
Send PM
Just got a call and then an email,,, I am selected, after a series of 5 dings, finally a light of happinness

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Intern
Intern
 Q50  V34
Send PM
Did anyone received any information regarding scholarships
Manager
Manager
Send PM
In my admissions package they gave me a quarter tuition scholarship! Woo hoo!
Intern
Intern
 Q50  V34
Send PM
Pre777 wrote:

question for ksjhawk and Pre777 ..........

Congrats for your admission, Can you please tell what make you decide for Olin for your MBA. I saw you have 710 GMAT score, you can go with some other higher rank universities

Now what is your plan, are u going with Olin or not, can you please share your profiles

Pre777,
Where in the application package you are seeing scholarship details
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Reeve015 wrote:
Pre777 wrote:

question for ksjhawk and Pre777 ..........

Congrats for your admission, Can you please tell what make you decide for Olin for your MBA. I saw you have 710 GMAT score, you can go with some other higher rank universities

Now what is your plan, are u going with Olin or not, can you please share your profiles

Pre777,
Where in the application package you are seeing scholarship details

Thank you. I was initially drawn to Olin because of the free application, and the single essay question. I looked into it more though and I've been really impressed with their placement stats, especially in the down economy. I have a cousin who is in medical research and could have chosen any university in the world but chose Washington. I'm told their law school is top notch too, indicating potential for Washington MBA to rise in the rankings.

I haven't settled on Olin yet. I'd be happy to go there but I'm currently on the waitlist at Notre Dame and UNC and waiting to hear back from Texas and Michigan.

My application letter was in the admissions package as a letter just behind the actual acceptance letter.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Hi Guys -

I have submitted my appl. on 4th jan (Thanks to Reeve for this).

Could anyone pls share how much time it took for R1 applicants to get an interview invite.

- thanks
Manager
Manager
Send PM
rohitmakkad wrote:
Hi Guys -

I have submitted my appl. on 4th jan (Thanks to Reeve for this).

Could anyone pls share how much time it took for R1 applicants to get an interview invite.

- thanks

I submitted my application early, on October 15th if I remember correctly. I was asked to interview in mid-december. Only a week after my interview I got the acceptance call.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Congrats to those who got in! I have my interview tomorrow afternoon on campus with Olin. Any tips or pointers on the interview?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Twinks wrote:
Congrats to those who got in! I have my interview tomorrow afternoon on campus with Olin. Any tips or pointers on the interview?

It was a fairly straightforward interview for me, I did mine on the phone. I was asked to walk the interviewer through my resume then tell about a time I failed, then I had time to ask questions. All in all it took about 30 minutes.

Good luck.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Pre777 wrote:
Twinks wrote:

It was a fairly straightforward interview for me, I did mine on the phone. I was asked to walk the interviewer through my resume then tell about a time I failed, then I had time to ask questions. All in all it took about 30 minutes.

Good luck.

I'm curious - was the interviewer a student or an adcom member? Did they know your whole application or did they only know your resume?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Twinks wrote:
Pre777 wrote:
Twinks wrote:

Good luck.

I'm curious - was the interviewer a student or an adcom member? Did they know your whole application or did they only know your resume?

It was an adcom member. She had most likely seen my application but she only asked me about things on my resume.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Schools:Michigan 2012
Send PM
I just submitted...
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [1]
 Q45  V41
Send PM
Kudos

Originally posted by ksjhawk on 08 Jan 2010, 00:42.
Last edited by ksjhawk on 03 Mar 2010, 18:31, edited 1 time in total.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Schools:Michigan 2012
Send PM
ksjhawk wrote:
Wow, lots of replies in the Olin forum, glad to see it. I'll try to address a few questions at once here.

Why Olin: Employment stats at Olin are solid (relative to other schools ranked near the bottom of the top 25), especially considering the large proportion of MBAs that stay in the Midwest, where the cost of living can be drastically lower. The program has a small class size and emphasizes personal attention from professors, which are virtually all PhDs actively involved in research. I've been in the Midwest my whole life, so unlike 99% of GMATclubbers, I'm comfortable with the idea of going to school and working here. I felt like Olin fell within my target range of schools based on my profile. Wash U's undergrad is now ranked 12th in the nation, their med school is top 3, great law school, many other strong programs - not great reasons to choose an MBA program, I know, but the university has a great reputation.

Here's my profile:
16 months work experience in corporate finance in the manufacturing industry, prior to being laid off
12 months part-time work experience working with financial products during my undergrad
710 GMAT
3.5 undergrad GPA in finance, closer to 3.8 in business classes
Good extracurriculars, leadership positions in business clubs
US-born Caucasian male, I don't speak any foreign languages (try spinning that in diversity essays!)
FWIW, I believe I have strong interview and essay-writing skills

I had a very casual phone interview. An adcom member asked me to walk through my resume, and from there it felt more like a conversation about my experiences than a question-by-question interview. It lasted less than 30 minutes.

A week after I was admitted I received a substantial scholarship offer, almost half of tuition. Very exciting news. I'll be making a campus visit soon, and I'm excited to get a feel for the program and St. Louis. I've also been admitted to Kelley at IU (my top choice in the application process), with a great graduate assistantship package, and it's going to be hard to turn down. I was extremely impressed with Kelley when I made a visit for my interview, but Olin sounds like an excellent school too, so there's a chance the visit will change my mind.

I couldn't be happier choosing between these two top programs, with $, but I have questioned whether I should have applied to programs that are a bit more competitive. However, it seems unlikely that I'd be admitted to a top 10 after being laid off with minimal work experience. Considering the scholie $ and cheaper tuition at these programs, it's hard to justify applying to higher-ranked schools outside of the top 10 where I would likely spend an extra $50k for comparable education and post-MBA opportunities. But I'm sure many in these forums would beg to differ :)

Congrats, and thank you for all this information. I think it looks like a pretty cool under the radar school. As you suggested, the employment $ figures are low, but that is likely because most people are working in the MW after graduation. What I didn't see, but would be interesting to know, was what percentage of graduates had received jobs in this difficult economy.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [1]
 Q45  V41
Send PM
Kudos
bigdre wrote:

Congrats, and thank you for all this information. I think it looks like a pretty cool under the radar school. As you suggested, the employment $ figures are low, but that is likely because most people are working in the MW after graduation. What I didn't see, but would be interesting to know, was what percentage of graduates had received jobs in this difficult economy.

https://images.businessweek.com/ss/09/10 ... ment/3.htm

Tied for 1st in the nation with Yale. No, Olin grads don't compete for many IB jobs like those coming out of Penn, Harvard and the like, but still - this is very impressive.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Send PM
ksjhawk wrote:
bigdre wrote:

Tied for 1st in the nation with Yale. No, Olin grads don't compete for many IB jobs like those coming out of Penn, Harvard and the like, but still - this is very impressive.

I was just about to post this link, but you beat me to it! The employment stats were really strong last year and I have a feeling the school will continue to climb in the rankings.

I submitted 1/5 and also went there for undergrad. :)
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts