Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 14 Sep 2014, 20:08

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling All Fall 2010 Yale SOM Applicants

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Status: Burning mid-night oil....daily
Joined: 07 Nov 2008
Posts: 2400
Schools: Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
WE 1: IB - Restructuring & Distressed M&A
Followers: 71

Kudos [?]: 688 [1] , given: 548

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: Calling All Fall 2010 Yale SOM Applicants [#permalink] New post 29 Oct 2009, 12:31
1
This post received
KUDOS
niraja wrote:
@ nink
such a rollercoaster experience :twisted:


This is nothing. It gets worse.... :?

marina7241 wrote:
Nink, any word on when more interview invites are going to go out? Do you know if they will send them in batches, like they did on October 19th?


Usually it gets released in small batches and it is still too early for them to be done sending out interview invites. Remember, the decision date for R1 is Dec 18 2009. That is still far far away. I would start worrying if you don't receive interview invite before Thanksgiving holiday.

Guys, I have been there. I understand it sucks. But everyone has to go through this every year and I understand that saying what I just said doesn't help one bit on your anxieties. But you guys have done your part. You guys took the crappy GMAt exam, and spent countless hours writing your essays. What's done is done and all you can do is wait for now. It is up to the bschools (regardless of where you applied) to do their part and recognize what a great individuals you all are.

My advice......keep checking this forum and BW forum (oh, and don't believe everything in BW forum....), and the chat room if needed and continue the procrastination at work. :-D I remember that there were usually 20 to 35 of us in GMATClub chatroom during the workday, 5 days a week, procrastinating and just discussing whatever in order to reduce our anxiety issue.

_________________

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 28 Apr 2009
Posts: 35
Schools: Stern, SOM, CBS
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Re: Calling All Fall 2010 Yale SOM Applicants [#permalink] New post 29 Oct 2009, 12:43
Thanks nink! What's the link to the chatroom?
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 28 Apr 2009
Posts: 35
Schools: Stern, SOM, CBS
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Re: Calling All Fall 2010 Yale SOM Applicants [#permalink] New post 29 Oct 2009, 12:45
Nm. Found it. But the corporate powers at be have it blocked.
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Status: Burning mid-night oil....daily
Joined: 07 Nov 2008
Posts: 2400
Schools: Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
WE 1: IB - Restructuring & Distressed M&A
Followers: 71

Kudos [?]: 688 [0], given: 548

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: Calling All Fall 2010 Yale SOM Applicants [#permalink] New post 29 Oct 2009, 12:57
marina7241 wrote:
Nm. Found it. But the corporate powers at be have it blocked.


Darn those evil corporations....
_________________

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 01 Nov 2009
Posts: 19
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling All Fall 2010 Yale SOM Applicants [#permalink] New post 01 Nov 2009, 03:59
If they took 12 days to send out the first half of the R1 invites, do you think they're done with the rest now? The anxiety is killing me :(
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 29 Oct 2009
Posts: 7
Schools: Yale
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling All Fall 2010 Yale SOM Applicants [#permalink] New post 01 Nov 2009, 06:12
I don't think they are done yet with sending out interview invitations. I was in touch with Michelle Vitali from the admissions office last Thursday and she said that they still have only sent out about half of the invitations. The rest will follow throughout the round according to her. But I don't understand it either why they were so quick with the first half of invitations and now seem to hold on to the rest!
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 29 Jul 2009
Posts: 169
Location: Indiana
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 6

Re: Calling All Fall 2010 Yale SOM Applicants [#permalink] New post 01 Nov 2009, 06:36
maybe because they chose the most promising candidates first i.e. 750+ and firm-sponsored?
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 18 Oct 2009
Posts: 51
Schools: Yale, Michigan, Cornell $$, Duke
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling All Fall 2010 Yale SOM Applicants [#permalink] New post 01 Nov 2009, 07:25
I heard this week that some candidates interview before the entire admissions committee has discussed their application, while others interview after that discussion takes place. Based on the timing, it might be that the first interviews were granted to the students that seemed good, but hadn't been discussed by the whole committee, while future invites will be given to those who have already made it through the committee. If that is the case, a later interview invitation would be a good sign.

This is all conjecture, but the first wave of interview invitations definitely was not limited to the firm-sponsored, 750+ crowd as the last person suggests.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 19 Oct 2009
Posts: 16
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling All Fall 2010 Yale SOM Applicants [#permalink] New post 01 Nov 2009, 08:37
This rationale sounds reasonable - though I don't know if it helps getting the invite after the entire admissions committee has reviewed the application. They are bound to re-review all applications after the interview anyway, right?

This wait is killing me!
Expert Post
VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 07 Apr 2009
Posts: 1116
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2012
Followers: 28

Kudos [?]: 322 [0], given: 19

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Calling All Fall 2010 Yale SOM Applicants [#permalink] New post 01 Nov 2009, 14:01
Expert's post
I feel better, that they still have half to send out. But I'm a big fan of sending out all the invites at once. This way at least you know your fate and don't have to suffer the agonize wait. Hopefully, they'll send all the rest in one big batch instead of trickling them out.
_________________

Diversity

Expert Post
VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 07 Apr 2009
Posts: 1116
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2012
Followers: 28

Kudos [?]: 322 [0], given: 19

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Calling All Fall 2010 Yale SOM Applicants [#permalink] New post 03 Nov 2009, 10:07
Expert's post
I’m getting kind of nervous about the interview invites. Assuming Yale gives 2 week notice for interviews to allow for scheduling flights. That doesn’t leave much time until Thanksgiving. I’m assuming they are not interviewing around Thanksgiving. With decision deadline on Dec 18th, interviewing ½ of the interviewing pool in early December seems ambitious.
_________________

Diversity

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 28 Apr 2009
Posts: 35
Schools: Stern, SOM, CBS
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Re: Calling All Fall 2010 Yale SOM Applicants [#permalink] New post 03 Nov 2009, 10:19
Are a lot of pple going to SOM diversity event this weekend?
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 18 Oct 2009
Posts: 51
Schools: Yale, Michigan, Cornell $$, Duke
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling All Fall 2010 Yale SOM Applicants [#permalink] New post 03 Nov 2009, 17:45
asimov wrote:
I feel better, that they still have half to send out. But I'm a big fan of sending out all the invites at once. This way at least you know your fate and don't have to suffer the agonize wait. Hopefully, they'll send all the rest in one big batch instead of trickling them out.


It was said at an info session that some interview invites go out in the last week before the announced decision deadline. Under that circumstance, they said they take a little bit longer to get back to you.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 02 Nov 2009
Posts: 37
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada, USA
Schools: dont know yet
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 25

Re: Calling All Fall 2010 Yale SOM Applicants [#permalink] New post 03 Nov 2009, 21:47
you guys are lucky, enjoy your time in Yale SOM.
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 29 Jul 2009
Posts: 169
Location: Indiana
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 6

Re: Calling All Fall 2010 Yale SOM Applicants [#permalink] New post 04 Nov 2009, 13:35
anyone received invites this week?
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 02 Nov 2009
Posts: 37
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada, USA
Schools: dont know yet
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 25

Re: Calling All Fall 2010 Yale SOM Applicants [#permalink] New post 05 Nov 2009, 01:09
nink,

im going to ask you other then Applicants and such. How do you like your time in YSOM so far?
1 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Status: Burning mid-night oil....daily
Joined: 07 Nov 2008
Posts: 2400
Schools: Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
WE 1: IB - Restructuring & Distressed M&A
Followers: 71

Kudos [?]: 688 [1] , given: 548

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: Calling All Fall 2010 Yale SOM Applicants [#permalink] New post 05 Nov 2009, 09:07
1
This post received
KUDOS
IllustratorBlu wrote:
nink,

im going to ask you other then Applicants and such. How do you like your time in YSOM so far?


Well, here's my honest assessment so far:

1) That Yale graduate student murder thing kinda turned the campus upside down earlier this academic yr. Schools like Yale constantly sends out security related emails about students getting mugged around the campus etc. Those emails disturbed me before but now, I just ignore them. It's not that dangerous as people told me New Haven would be.
2) YSOM's resources available to its students = World Class. You have the best of both worlds; advantages at a small liberal arts school (think 1 on 1 attention from professors etc) and advantages of a world renowed school brand with world class faculty, student services, classmates, career services, recruiters, alumni, annual Harvard vs Yale rivalry at football games, and the jealous look from people on the street when they see you wearing a Yale hoodie or T-shirt = PRICELESS.
3) Yale Law School kids have better facilities than us bschool students as of now. That will change when they are done building the new facilities for us. Unfortunately, it won't be completed until after I graduate.
4) Social Life outside the classroom? AWESOME. So much to do, so little time. You pretty much get to know all the people in your graduating class due to its small size. And yes. Ivy League schools rest its reputation on its services to its current students and alumni. They do so much more than they probably should, in order to accomodate you. They want to keep you happy because the relationship with Yale only begins in school. It lasts a lifetime.
5) It's freakin cold here…..
6) People are genuinely nice. It's almost as if admissions office weeded out all the crazy people during the admissions process. When I was an undergrad at NYU Stern, competition was fierce even among my classmates and as a result, it really wasn't much of a team-work environment. Here, people often cover for one another, pay for each other's drinks or meals without wanting anything else in return, shares classnotes or recruiting related news/events, and even picked up classmate's parents at the airport when one student needed to go to a recruiting info session.
7) Homeless people…a lot of them in New Haven…but many of them are really nice….unlike NYC homeless….
8) Beer's cheaper than NYC at bars…KUDOS
9) There's a raccoon running around on my way to school that spooks me out…
10) In conclusion, yes…I am very happy here. If I had any worries earlier this year when I chose to attend YSOM over higher ranked schools like Booth and Kellogg, they are pretty much gone. I can't say that YSOM is better than any other schools because I have not attended any other bschools myself and I am sure current students at other schools can boast why they love their schools, but I call my fiancee at Stanford GSB everyday and tell her that Stanford GSB is for losers....and she tells me to go see a psychiatrist. I am not sure who "fit" the ideal applicant profile for YSOM but if you visit here and you fall in love with this plce, don't worry about other factors and go with your guts. Other stuff will work out on its own.
_________________

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 02 Nov 2009
Posts: 37
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada, USA
Schools: dont know yet
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 25

Re: Calling All Fall 2010 Yale SOM Applicants [#permalink] New post 05 Nov 2009, 23:45
nink wrote:
IllustratorBlu wrote:
nink,

im going to ask you other then Applicants and such. How do you like your time in YSOM so far?


Well, here's my honest assessment so far:

1) That Yale graduate student murder thing kinda turned the campus upside down earlier this academic yr. Schools like Yale constantly sends out security related emails about students getting mugged around the campus etc. Those emails disturbed me before but now, I just ignore them. It's not that dangerous as people told me New Haven would be.
2) YSOM's resources available to its students = World Class. You have the best of both worlds; advantages at a small liberal arts school (think 1 on 1 attention from professors etc) and advantages of a world renowed school brand with world class faculty, student services, classmates, career services, recruiters, alumni, annual Harvard vs Yale rivalry at football games, and the jealous look from people on the street when they see you wearing a Yale hoodie or T-shirt = PRICELESS.
3) Yale Law School kids have better facilities than us bschool students as of now. That will change when they are done building the new facilities for us. Unfortunately, it won't be completed until after I graduate.
4) Social Life outside the classroom? AWESOME. So much to do, so little time. You pretty much get to know all the people in your graduating class due to its small size. And yes. Ivy League schools rest its reputation on its services to its current students and alumni. They do so much more than they probably should, in order to accomodate you. They want to keep you happy because the relationship with Yale only begins in school. It lasts a lifetime.
5) It's freakin cold here…..
6) People are genuinely nice. It's almost as if admissions office weeded out all the crazy people during the admissions process. When I was an undergrad at NYU Stern, competition was fierce even among my classmates and as a result, it really wasn't much of a team-work environment. Here, people often cover for one another, pay for each other's drinks or meals without wanting anything else in return, shares classnotes or recruiting related news/events, and even picked up classmate's parents at the airport when one student needed to go to a recruiting info session.
7) Homeless people…a lot of them in New Haven…but many of them are really nice….unlike NYC homeless….
8) Beer's cheaper than NYC at bars…KUDOS
9) There's a raccoon running around on my way to school that spooks me out…
10) In conclusion, yes…I am very happy here. If I had any worries earlier this year when I chose to attend YSOM over higher ranked schools like Booth and Kellogg, they are pretty much gone. I can't say that YSOM is better than any other schools because I have not attended any other bschools myself and I am sure current students at other schools can boast why they love their schools, but I call my fiancee at Stanford GSB everyday and tell her that Stanford GSB is for losers....and she tells me to go see a psychiatrist. I am not sure who "fit" the ideal applicant profile for YSOM but if you visit here and you fall in love with this plce, don't worry about other factors and go with your guts. Other stuff will work out on its own.


sparking of the new building when is it going to be complete? i was looking for info about it on the internet, but came back with only status report. if everything goes well i will be entering class 2013 and applying next year for EA. *silver program*
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Status: Burning mid-night oil....daily
Joined: 07 Nov 2008
Posts: 2400
Schools: Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
WE 1: IB - Restructuring & Distressed M&A
Followers: 71

Kudos [?]: 688 [0], given: 548

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: Calling All Fall 2010 Yale SOM Applicants [#permalink] New post 06 Nov 2009, 22:48
The last time they told us, the planning process is still on-going. Designing and other related processes are on-going as we speak (architects were hired to review the design, layout, and revisions etc). But the construction won't actually start until the donor funding and the recovery of the financial market is in full swing.
_________________

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 02 Nov 2009
Posts: 37
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada, USA
Schools: dont know yet
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 25

Re: Calling All Fall 2010 Yale SOM Applicants [#permalink] New post 07 Nov 2009, 00:02
nink wrote:
The last time they told us, the planning process is still on-going. Designing and other related processes are on-going as we speak (architects were hired to review the design, layout, and revisions etc). But the construction won't actually start until the donor funding and the recovery of the financial market is in full swing.


i see, thanks.
Re: Calling All Fall 2010 Yale SOM Applicants   [#permalink] 07 Nov 2009, 00:02
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
13 Experts publish their posts in the topic Calling All Yale SOM 2013 'Waitlisted' Applicants Dbalks 159 13 Dec 2012, 16:57
286 Experts publish their posts in the topic Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants aerien 1287 06 Jul 2012, 18:10
268 Experts publish their posts in the topic Calling All Fall 2011 Yale SOM Applicants Richaarora22 2001 10 Jun 2010, 10:30
7 Calling all Yale SOM 2009 Applicants! IHateTheGMAT 422 20 Jul 2008, 21:45
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Calling All Fall 2010 Yale SOM Applicants

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  46    Next  [ 914 posts ] 



GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.