Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 16:28

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling All Fall 2010 Yale SOM Applicants

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 6

Re: Calling All Fall 2010 Yale SOM Applicants [#permalink] New post 17 Sep 2009, 12:07
nink,

i've been pondering this and thought you could provide some input.

in the short-term goals essay, i want to mention a primary professional goal (investments/nonprofit related) and also state that i realize that i may not be able to attain that immediately after the mba due to a continuing weak economy. then i want to mention a related goal as a backup option.

is this kosher or should i stick to just the primary goal? an adcom at a top 5 school said they would like it if an applicant showed that he/she was thinking about the economic situation and planning for it.

just as an fyi, my gmat is below the SOM avg and i come from a investments / non-profit background.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: Ross 2012
WE 1: 5 Years at Fortune 50 Company in Manufacturing
Followers: 17

Kudos [?]: 164 [1] , given: 20

Re: Calling All Fall 2010 Yale SOM Applicants [#permalink] New post 17 Sep 2009, 12:22
This post received
KUDOS
niraja wrote:
nink,

in the short-term goals essay, i want to mention a primary professional goal (investments/nonprofit related) and also state that i realize that i may not be able to attain that immediately after the mba due to a continuing weak economy. then i want to mention a related goal as a backup option.

is this kosher or should i stick to just the primary goal? an adcom at a top 5 school said they would like it if an applicant showed that he/she was thinking about the economic situation and planning for it.

just as an fyi, my gmat is below the SOM avg and i come from a investments / non-profit background.

Although I am not nink, I would like to state that by the time you graduate (nearly 3 years from now) the market can be completely different, look at 2002 vs 2005. Personally, I think its better to show that you are very sure of what you want to do, rather than list a bunch of options of what you might do, since it weakens your goals. If you do want to show understanding of the current situtation, you may go either 1) predict how the market will be in 2 years and your ability to capitalize on with with your background or 2) state somewhere how the economic conditions and changes in the industry has help your refocus on why and MBA is important.

Just my 2 cents.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

2 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP
Schools: Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
WE 1: IB - Restructuring & Distressed M&A
Followers: 73

Kudos [?]: 688 [2] , given: 548

Reviews Badge
Re: Calling All Fall 2010 Yale SOM Applicants [#permalink] New post 17 Sep 2009, 13:57
This post received
KUDOS
niraja wrote:
nink,

However grand your goal is, it is generally understood that you won't be able to achieve it right away after 2 years in bschool. As long as your goal makes sense, and it fits in nicely to the equation on how YOU + YALE SOM = ULTIMATE GOAL, you should sell it.

One recent YSOM alum started a clean energy recycling business (in plastics I think) while he/she was a student at YSOM. People here are overachievers. Their background, dreams, and traits are unique and very different. Therefore, whatever you goal is, the most important thing is that it's sensible and achievable and why YSOM is needed to get there. The situation has to be a WIN-WIN situation. You should be able to benefit from YSOM experience and YSOM in general has to benefit by having you as part of the community.

Many people think non-profit types go to YSOM but that's not true. I don't know what rest of my class wrote in their essays but whether you come from business background or non-profit background, many of us graduate and end up in fields where we didn't even consider before. 40-50% of our graduates end up in finance, 10-20% in consulting, 8% in healthcare etc etc.

So whatever your plan is now, it can change in the near future. YSOM isn't going to hold you responsible by enforcing whatever the goal that you write in your essay. What they want to see is growth and evolution, as well as a butterfly effect by having you here. If that growth and evolution takes you somewhere else in 2 to 3 years, then let it be.

Manager
Manager

Re: Calling All Fall 2010 Yale SOM Applicants [#permalink] New post 17 Sep 2009, 14:29
thanks GoBruins and nink, perfect and objective advice!

i'm visiting the SOM on Tuesday btw. looking forward to it !!
Current Student
Schools: Columbia Business School - Class of 2012
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 37 [0], given: 22

Re: Calling All Fall 2010 Yale SOM Applicants [#permalink] New post 19 Sep 2009, 11:21
Is SOM a generic recommendation or do they have specific questions/form fields for recommenders?
SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 688 [0], given: 548

Reviews Badge
Re: Calling All Fall 2010 Yale SOM Applicants [#permalink] New post 19 Sep 2009, 13:20
eminent wrote:
Is SOM a generic recommendation or do they have specific questions/form fields for recommenders?

I waived my rights to view the recommendation forms so I have no idea exactly what the actual form looks like. Ask the adcom this question in the YSOM forum for applicants. They will answer your thread within 24 hours.

Current Student

Re: Calling All Fall 2010 Yale SOM Applicants [#permalink] New post 19 Sep 2009, 13:42
nink wrote:
eminent wrote:

I waived my rights to view the recommendation forms so I have no idea exactly what the actual form looks like. Ask the adcom this question in the YSOM forum for applicants. They will answer your thread within 24 hours.

Thanks, I'll try that or just call them. If anyone else knows what is asked on the form - I would greatly appreciate your tip.

I will waive my right to view the recommendation, but would like to have some preparatory time with my recommenders.
SVP
SVP

Reviews Badge
Re: Calling All Fall 2010 Yale SOM Applicants [#permalink] New post 19 Sep 2009, 19:05
eminent wrote:
I will waive my right to view the recommendation, but would like to have some preparatory time with my recommenders.

I wouldn't mention that you need this information to "prep" your recommenders. The whole point of waiving your right is so that whatever your recommenders write about you, you would never get to read it.

If you are "prepping" your recommenders and impose any kind of influence on what they write about you, well I guess technically you are not waiving any right....

Current Student

Re: Calling All Fall 2010 Yale SOM Applicants [#permalink] New post 19 Sep 2009, 20:07
No problem. Thanks anyway
Intern
Intern
Schools: Yale SOM Class of 2013
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling All Fall 2010 Yale SOM Applicants [#permalink] New post 23 Sep 2009, 22:36
i should be applying in R1 as long as my recommenders finish on time. i know everyone says chances are pretty much the same b/w R1 and R2, but how true is that for Yale? they don't seem to be as yield-conscious as other schools to me...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't flatter yourself, honey. Just like an oil lease, you're easily disposable.
~J.R. Ewing

SVP
SVP

Reviews Badge
Re: Calling All Fall 2010 Yale SOM Applicants [#permalink] New post 24 Sep 2009, 07:55
kzslacker wrote:
i should be applying in R1 as long as my recommenders finish on time. i know everyone says chances are pretty much the same b/w R1 and R2, but how true is that for Yale? they don't seem to be as yield-conscious as other schools to me...

I think the acceptance to YSOM depends on your "fit" with the school and the community. You could be a superb candidate but if the adcom feels that your goals/objectives/ "fit" and other factors are not quite what they are looking for, and you might be a better "fit" somewhere else, I don't think the adcom will let the candidate in.

From last year in this forum, R1 and R2 applicants pretty much had similar chance of getting in. It really was different based on who the applicant was. YSOM does not have same criteria for admission as h/s/w. Those schools look for something "extra". Personally, I think you would have a great shot at YSOM in R1 or R2 if you have great stats, goals, and reasons for why YSOM "fits" into your future plans and vice versa.

In terms of yield - every school is yield conscious to various degrees because it affects school ranking to a degree. I honestly don't know if YSOM is yield conscious or not, but our class size is pretty small compared to other schools. Therefore, managing the yield rate isn't as difficult as other "bigger" programs. Also, yield rate tend to fluctuate as school's perceived ranking or other factors change.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 66 [0], given: 24

Re: Calling All Fall 2010 Yale SOM Applicants [#permalink] New post 24 Sep 2009, 14:44
After a lot of thought, I am moving my app to R2. At the very least, I need a higher GMAT. Retaking the exam hopefully by Oct 15th.

In the land of the night, the chariot of the sun is drawn by the grateful dead

Current Student

Re: Calling All Fall 2010 Yale SOM Applicants [#permalink] New post 24 Sep 2009, 15:16
pleonasm wrote:
After a lot of thought, I am moving my app to R2. At the very least, I need a higher GMAT. Retaking the exam hopefully by Oct 15th.

I'm likely doing the same (minus the GMAT retake). The R1 deadline is very early and R2 seems to be just fine for Yale.
SVP
SVP

Reviews Badge
Re: Calling All Fall 2010 Yale SOM Applicants [#permalink] New post 24 Sep 2009, 15:29
pleonasm wrote:

eminent wrote:
I'm likely doing the same (minus the GMAT retake). The R1 deadline is very early and R2 seems to be just fine for Yale.

Fine decisions on your part if you don't think your application is ready.

ROLL CALL PG UPDATED

Director
Director
Affiliations: Consortium (CGSM.org), NSHMBA
Schools: Yale SOM Class of 2012
WE 1: Investment Banking Summer Associate (Boutique tech M&A)
Followers: 39

Kudos [?]: 217 [0], given: 113

Reviews Badge
Re: Calling All Fall 2010 Yale SOM Applicants [#permalink] New post 26 Sep 2009, 15:49
i think i might apply via consortium, but im a bit confused about how the process would work. on the consortium website, it says the application cycle is closed; it says it will reopen in 'late summer'... but isnt that too late for fall 2010?

GMAT Debrief

1 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 688 [1] , given: 548

Reviews Badge
Re: Calling All Fall 2010 Yale SOM Applicants [#permalink] New post 27 Sep 2009, 10:32
This post received
KUDOS
shadowsjc wrote:
i think i might apply via consortium, but im a bit confused about how the process would work. on the consortium website, it says the application cycle is closed; it says it will reopen in 'late summer'... but isnt that too late for fall 2010?

Don't know anything about consortium but there were a couple of members (that I know of) who applied and got into schools via consortium last year. Also for YSOM - I know that adcoms are embracing applicants through consortium in order to diversify the YSOM community.

For your reference:

1) Should I apply through the Consortium?
calling-all-fall-2010-consortium-applicants-merged-87799.html

2) Any Consortium applicants?
any-consortium-applicants-56951.html

3) #2 round, Consortium Applicants.... status?
2-round-consortium-applicants-status-59980.html

4) Consortium
consortium-51331.html?highlight=consortium

5) CONSORTIUM (CGSM) - can someone elaborate?
consortium-cgsm-can-someone-elaborate-32766.html?highlight=consortium

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling All Fall 2010 Yale SOM Applicants [#permalink] New post 27 Sep 2009, 12:27
first post here
so excited
Working on eassys ,
I am applying Silver Scholar (round 1), just heard that Yale takes 6- 10 Silver Scholar each year and no more than one Chinese.
anyone knows how many silver scholar applicants every year?

my profile: senior majoring finance in Eastern Michigan Uni, transferred from an unknow Uni in China.
GPA in Eastern 3.9 so far( but I just have 10 courses in Eastern's transcript so far)
GPA in ex-University about 3.5 but Easetern is supposed to give me official degree, so I am not sure which GPA Yale will consider....
GMAT 750
Nationality: China I heard top schools always require a higher GMAT cos they think Chinese should be good at standardlized test.
SVP
SVP

Reviews Badge
Re: Calling All Fall 2010 Yale SOM Applicants [#permalink] New post 27 Sep 2009, 16:30
JoeYe wrote:
first post here
so excited
Working on eassys ,
I am applying Silver Scholar (round 1), just heard that Yale takes 6- 10 Silver Scholar each year and no more than one Chinese.
anyone knows how many silver scholar applicants every year?

my profile: senior majoring finance in Eastern Michigan Uni, transferred from an unknow Uni in China.
GPA in Eastern 3.9 so far( but I just have 10 courses in Eastern's transcript so far)
GPA in ex-University about 3.5 but Easetern is supposed to give me official degree, so I am not sure which GPA Yale will consider....
GMAT 750
Nationality: China I heard top schools always require a higher GMAT cos they think Chinese should be good at standardlized test.

Silver Scholar candidates are judged slightly different from regular applicants because they are admitted right out of undergrad. If you look at last year's YSOM thread, there were couple of Silver Scholar admits. Maybe you can compare your stats to their stats.

Also, every applicant should utilize the YSOM applicant forum:
http://som-talks.som.yale.edu/forums/

Any question you have, you will get the info directly from the admissions office and plus, you will get to read the same questions you might have from fellow applicants.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling All Fall 2010 Yale SOM Applicants [#permalink] New post 27 Sep 2009, 16:50
Thank you nink!
Manager
Manager

Re: Calling All Fall 2010 Yale SOM Applicants [#permalink] New post 28 Sep 2009, 07:35
I will be applying Round 1, if my boss gets her recommendation in in time. Thinking positive!
Re: Calling All Fall 2010 Yale SOM Applicants   [#permalink] 28 Sep 2009, 07:35