Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 01:24

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling all Fall 2011 Consortium Applicants!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
2 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: Michigan - Ross Class of 2012
WE 1: Marketing within Financial Services
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 24 [2] , given: 9

Re: Calling all Fall 2011 Consortium Applicants! [#permalink] New post 23 Aug 2010, 08:35
This post received
KUDOS
If you ask the schools, they will tell you rank does not affect their decision. The schools have the choice to see your rankings beforehand. Some may intentionally not look at your ranking so that it doesn't influence their decisions indirectly(Ross changed their stance last year and did this to eliminate ranking bias). So the short answer is that it should only affect who gets to offer you the fellowship but some programs with tighter admissions numbers may use them. Off the record, I know of one school who has admitted using the rankings for admission decisions before so it really varies by school. Officially they're not supposed to. PM me if you have a question about a specific school since I've asked this question to each school I applied to and a few others.

Posted from my mobile device Image

Detailed Profile with Interviews/Dings/Admits: Go Here

Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 1

Re: Calling all Fall 2011 Consortium Applicants! [#permalink] New post 02 Sep 2010, 07:45
Does anyone have any idea when the Consortium application will be live? The site still states that the application will be live as of the late summer.
Director
Director
Affiliations: Consortium (CGSM.org), NSHMBA
Schools: Yale SOM Class of 2012
WE 1: Investment Banking Summer Associate (Boutique tech M&A)
Followers: 39

Kudos [?]: 217 [0], given: 113

Reviews Badge
Re: Calling all Fall 2011 Consortium Applicants! [#permalink] New post 02 Sep 2010, 07:49
the consortium app should be live already for 2011. make sure you go to www.cgsm.org and then click "apply" on the bottom. don't google "consortium" and click through that link since that is most likely a cached copy of the site (i was having the same issue last year when i applied).

the deadlines are nov 15 and jan 5.

GMAT Debrief

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 9

Re: Calling all Fall 2011 Consortium Applicants! [#permalink] New post 02 Sep 2010, 18:12
From the 2010 thread posted today:

VictoryMBA wrote:
Hey guys, I hope everyone is doing well at their new schools!

If anyone still checks this thread, can someone maybe answer a question for me?

I was wondering if I could get some examples of who you used for the mission recommendation. While I fit the mission, I don't have anyone that I can readily contact for a recommendation. I was thinking a family friend? I was also thinking about contacting my on-campus latino community group (im currently a grad student), and asking them if we can talk, explain my situation, and maybe someone there can write me a letter.

I used a co-worker/mentor to write mine. If the family friend is familiar with the work you do that supports the mission, that should be fine. The schools are not as stringent on who that recommendation comes from because it's a very different expectation of what that recommendation should be. I would not ask my co-worker to write my professional one because they wouldn't be a good choice but for the Consortium one, she was perfect.

Hope that helps.

Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools: UNC (Kenan-Flagler) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
WE: Programming (Computer Software)
Followers: 22

Kudos [?]: 202 [0], given: 52

Reviews Badge
Re: Calling all Fall 2011 Consortium Applicants! [#permalink] New post 08 Sep 2010, 11:36
The consortium does look very nice. the 300/6 schools is very tempting and the load seems to be less on the recs since it applies to all... i guess the downside might be the mid nov deadline which means i am applying to "round 2" since many schools of interest has deadline before that. Isnt this kinda bad?

If you like my answers please +1 kudos!

Current Student

Re: Calling all Fall 2011 Consortium Applicants! [#permalink] New post 08 Sep 2010, 11:48
shaselai wrote:
The consortium does look very nice. the 300/6 schools is very tempting and the load seems to be less on the recs since it applies to all... i guess the downside might be the mid nov deadline which means i am applying to "round 2" since many schools of interest has deadline before that. Isnt this kinda bad?

If you're applying via Consortium, ignore the respective school deadlines. The only thing they MIGHT tell you is when you find out about admission but does not impact your consideration at all. The schools have a strong interest in Consortium candidates and part of their commitment is to the Consortium application process. Each school is a little different (i.e. NYU you're just part of Round 1, Ross they process them in Round 1 or Round 2 depending on how quickly they get through the applications, Yale is all considered in Round 2, etc) but again, it just affects interview invite dates and admission notification, not how your app is considered.

Hope that helps!

Current Student

Reviews Badge
Re: Calling all Fall 2011 Consortium Applicants! [#permalink] New post 08 Sep 2010, 11:53
theoutlawfades wrote:
shaselai wrote:

If you're applying via Consortium, ignore the respective school deadlines. The only thing they MIGHT tell you is when you find out about admission but does not impact your consideration at all. The schools have a strong interest in Consortium candidates and part of their commitment is to the Consortium application process. Each school is a little different (i.e. NYU you're just part of Round 1, Ross they process them in Round 1 or Round 2 depending on how quickly they get through the applications, Yale is all considered in Round 2, etc) but again, it just affects interview invite dates and admission notification, not how your app is considered.

Hope that helps!

i see. So I guess the followup is why would I apply to any schools on the list via their website vs. the consortium if consortium seems to be great all around?

also the reccomendation about the consortium mission - i dont think i can find one and i dont think i ever done those things? i did teach sats to children but not neccessarily underrepresented - although i did teach a class of mostly black kids..

Current Student

Re: Calling all Fall 2011 Consortium Applicants! [#permalink] New post 08 Sep 2010, 12:00
shaselai wrote:
theoutlawfades wrote:
shaselai wrote:

Hope that helps!

i see. So I guess the followup is why would I apply to any schools on the list via their website vs. the consortium if consortium seems to be great all around?

Well, if you don't have any experiences/work dedicated to the mission of the Consortium or it's not something you care about, then you would want to apply via the traditional route. But if you've got a solid story for your Consortium mission essay, can get a mission recommender, and can articulate that in an interview, I would do the Consortium all the way.

If you're on the fence or are not sure you have the right experience, call the Consortium or email them your story. They'll give you some guidance or can say if it's the right type of experience. I know a lot of people who did that.

The company access and network is also a huge reason to apply to the Consortium (beyond the consolidated application and fellowship possibilities). I'm in my second day of classes and already have 2 internship options for next summer that I've had for a month.

Current Student

Reviews Badge
Re: Calling all Fall 2011 Consortium Applicants! [#permalink] New post 08 Sep 2010, 12:52
theoutlawfades wrote:

Well, if you don't have any experiences/work dedicated to the mission of the Consortium or it's not something you care about, then you would want to apply via the traditional route. But if you've got a solid story for your Consortium mission essay, can get a mission recommender, and can articulate that in an interview, I would do the Consortium all the way.

If you're on the fence or are not sure you have the right experience, call the Consortium or email them your story. They'll give you some guidance or can say if it's the right type of experience. I know a lot of people who did that.

The company access and network is also a huge reason to apply to the Consortium (beyond the consolidated application and fellowship possibilities). I'm in my second day of classes and already have 2 internship options for next summer that I've had for a month.

can you share what you did that was applicable for the mission statement?

Current Student

Re: Calling all Fall 2011 Consortium Applicants! [#permalink] New post 08 Sep 2010, 16:55
shaselai wrote:
theoutlawfades wrote:

can you share what you did that was applicable for the mission statement?

I volunteered in classrooms for a non-profit and at work, I worked on a diversity initiative. My recommender was the leader of the diversity initiative at work and my mentor. There were people I know who had less direct connections but it doesn't need to be huge. It just needs to demonstrate you've made efforts in the past which would be an indicator of future behavior on a bigger scale during and after B-School.

Director
Director
Schools: Tuck, Yale (ding), NYU, Columbia, Duke (int)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 13

Re: Calling all Fall 2011 Consortium Applicants! [#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2010, 11:27
Anyone notice that UCLA does not have a core question? Or am I missing something...
Director
Director
Concentration: Nonprofit, General Management
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2015
GMAT 1: 740 Q47 V45
GRE 1: 336 Q169 V167
GPA: 3.22
WE: Information Technology (Manufacturing)
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 146 [0], given: 249

Re: Calling all Fall 2011 Consortium Applicants! [#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2010, 12:54
Considering different schools process applications at different times, how would that impact a fellowship decision?

Lets say you rank Yale #1, and they process in R2, but one of your #2-6 choices admits you in R1. From what I've seen, they can't even offer you a fellowship without knowing what Yale will do. So how could you make a fully informed decision about whether or not to accept R1 consortium admits?

Or do all consortium decisions for a single application come back at one time, regardless of when individual schools decide to process them?

ME: PROFILE | CPA: BEC AUD FAR REG | CMA: ONE TWO

bitly bundles: mba rankings | mba programs

1 KUDOS received
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 24 [1] , given: 9

Re: Calling all Fall 2011 Consortium Applicants! [#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2010, 13:15
This post received
KUDOS
All Consortium fellowship decisions come out at one time regardless of which round you apply. I believe the schools meet in February or March to decide.

If you ranked a school lower, they may try and preempt the Consortium fellowship announcement and offer you one of their own scholarships (which happened to me). They will all give you a little time after the fellowship info comes out to choose a school, again ignoring the general applicant dates.

Posted from my mobile device Image

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Fall 2011 Consortium Applicants! [#permalink] New post 17 Sep 2010, 21:42
Question, is anyone here applying for through the consortium with a GRE?
Think its a bad idea?
I have a pretty sound GPA and about 6 years business experience.... but I took the GRE (verbal, better than quant)
Director
Director
Affiliations: Consortium (CGSM.org), NSHMBA
Schools: Yale SOM Class of 2012
WE 1: Investment Banking Summer Associate (Boutique tech M&A)
Followers: 39

Kudos [?]: 217 [0], given: 113

Reviews Badge
Re: Calling all Fall 2011 Consortium Applicants! [#permalink] New post 22 Sep 2010, 18:07
i would double check that the specific consortium schools you're applying to accept the GRE. i know many of the top schools now accept either the GMAT or GRE, but im not 100% sure all of them do. you can find this info out on each specific school's website (not on the consortium website)

GMAT Debrief

Director
Director

Re: Calling all Fall 2011 Consortium Applicants! [#permalink] New post 23 Sep 2010, 09:28
I called Yale and they told me that they review all consortium applicants at the same time, but she also noted (which I'm sure we're all aware of) this is *not* the case at every school.

Additionally, I think we should get a list of schools going who 1) review rankings vs go blind, 2) when they review consortium apps.

Speaking of the GRE, I read a chat transcript with linda abhrams (sp) and the yale adcoms. Someone asked about the GRE vs GMAT, and Yale's response was that it would be a mistake to think that you should submit the GRE over the GMAT because you scored better. They take into account the difficulty of the test, who is taking it, etc., and then adjust the scores as necessary. I have a very solid GRE score, but I'm going to take the GMAT and hope for the best.
Director
Director

Re: Calling all Fall 2011 Consortium Applicants! [#permalink] New post 12 Oct 2010, 18:16
Just wanted to kick this thread up seeing as we haven't had much activity in a few weeks. Anyone apply/get accepted/or attend any diversity weekends?

I applied to Tuck's and Yale's.
VP
VP
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 201 [0], given: 31

Re: Calling all Fall 2011 Consortium Applicants! [#permalink] New post 12 Oct 2010, 19:23
VictoryMBA wrote:
Just wanted to kick this thread up seeing as we haven't had much activity in a few weeks. Anyone apply/get accepted/or attend any diversity weekends?

I applied to Tuck's and Yale's.

FYI I was told that Tuck Div. conference decisions might come out next week.
Manager
Manager
Schools: Duke (r3), Vanderbilt (admit- Diversity Scholarship) R2 Consortium: Yale (ding), Emory (admit- CGSM fellowship), Michigan (admit), UT Austin (admit), Indiana (admit)

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 3

Re: Calling all Fall 2011 Consortium Applicants! [#permalink] New post 13 Oct 2010, 06:30
Applied to diversity weekends at NYU, Michigan, Emory, and Duke. Attended Upclose @ Michigan last weekend (awesome!), attending Emory's diversity weekend in November. No word from Duke yet
Intern
Intern
Schools: dont know yet
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 25

Re: Calling all Fall 2011 Consortium Applicants! [#permalink] New post 16 Oct 2010, 01:15
Any downside of having 6 schools on you list?
Re: Calling all Fall 2011 Consortium Applicants!   [#permalink] 16 Oct 2010, 01:15