Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Jul 2014, 16:04

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling all Fall 2011 Consortium Applicants!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 2

Re: Calling all Fall 2011 Consortium Applicants! [#permalink] New post 02 Feb 2011, 10:20
This post received
KUDOS
I've been a long time reader, lurking in the shadows, snickering and observing..I figured once all of my schools accepted me, I would emerge from the corner, open my arms with my cape Dracula style and announce "I've been accepted everywhere, peace out!"..conveniently, if rejected, I would just cry myself a river and remain a ghost....

But I figured it's best to throw myself out there like some of ya'll have and that allowing myself to be brought down by the difficult judgement call of few would be to give it higher weight than what it really is, a very difficult judgement call by few (now, your comeback may be "that's what someone who got rejected says", hey, that may be the only card some of us have left to play, no, but seriously, enjoy the ride!)

money9111, i enjoyed reading your blog, i'll admit i only ready snip-bits but you really capture how consuming this whole process is

lagomez - you're funny

VictoryMBA - I'm intrigued by your pic, is that Washington? i really am curious as to why you chose it as a pic, military background i take it?

progressiongirl - i found your update on NYU as thoroughly efficient, the common trend is usually as follows

post: "i got accepted to xyz school" and then like 5 or 6
follow up questions continue

reply "awesome! when?"
answer "yesterday"
reply, "what round"
answer "1"
reply "anything else?"
answer "yes"
1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 192 [1] , given: 31

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Fall 2011 Consortium Applicants! [#permalink] New post 02 Feb 2011, 12:08
This post received
KUDOS
countdracula wrote:
I've been a long time reader, lurking in the shadows, snickering and observing..I figured once all of my schools accepted me, I would emerge from the corner, open my arms with my cape Dracula style and announce "I've been accepted everywhere, peace out!"..conveniently, if rejected, I would just cry myself a river and remain a ghost....

But I figured it's best to throw myself out there like some of ya'll have and that allowing myself to be brought down by the difficult judgement call of few would be to give it higher weight than what it really is, a very difficult judgement call by few (now, your comeback may be "that's what someone who got rejected says", hey, that may be the only card some of us have left to play, no, but seriously, enjoy the ride!)

money9111, i enjoyed reading your blog, i'll admit i only ready snip-bits but you really capture how consuming this whole process is

lagomez - you're funny

VictoryMBA - I'm intrigued by your pic, is that Washington? i really am curious as to why you chose it as a pic, military background i take it?

progressiongirl - i found your update on NYU as thoroughly efficient, the common trend is usually as follows

post: "i got accepted to xyz school" and then like 5 or 6
follow up questions continue

reply "awesome! when?"
answer "yesterday"
reply, "what round"
answer "1"
reply "anything else?"
answer "yes"

I'm funny?

You mean the way I talk? What? Funny how? What's funny about it? But I'm funny how? Funny
like a clown? I amuse you?
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: NYU Stern Class of 2013
WE 1: 3yrs FINANCE
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 3 [1] , given: 0

Re: Calling all Fall 2011 Consortium Applicants! [#permalink] New post 02 Feb 2011, 23:12
This post received
KUDOS
countdracula wrote:
@Iamnotaprimenumber - Thanks! Likewise! Best of luck!

@VictoryMBA - Thanks for the history lesson! I can honestly say that I knew absolutely none of what you had mentioned, so it's good to gain some new knowledge

@lagomez - Funny. You know....how you tell the story. It's funny, i mean, you're...you're a funny guy, You're just funny, it's... funny, the way you tell the story and everything....lol, goodfellas rendition, classic, you prove it yet again, hilarious!

@ghinderbelle - Thank you! I'm glad I could help in any way. And as for the GMAT, believe me when I say we are ALL with you, sometimes I wished that I could grab a bat and go postal on them gmat books ala "office space printer scene", but then I realized these books can be resold on Amazon, so I reluctantly decided to keep them in shape...but I agree with the rest, email the schools your updated score, most accept them and best of luck!! As for lack of sleep, I had the same issue the night before, though I found exercise helped me get better sleep.

Lastly, I have a piece of good news to share, I received an invitation to interview with Stern for diversity weekend! Funny thing is, I had spent all day checking my email like once an hour(money9111, I can TOTALLY relate to #4 on your "I'm over it" list) I get home around 5pm, take a nap, 30 minutes later there lies the email message awaiting me like a gift under the xmas tree from Santa

So a few things:
1. It was an email message, not a "your application has been updated" and clearly mentioned on the subject "Invitation to Interview". Got the message late today, like 6pm
2. I'm a round 2 applicant, got my login info last Friday morning.
3. What seemed to be the case to me is that you don't necessarily have to interview on Diversity Weekend, seems like you can schedule alternate days. How far back can it go? That I'm afraid doesn't seem too clear to me. In any case, keep hope alive guys, the week is not over yet and there's still next week. I will be rooting for you all!

In the email it said your interview must be completed by Feb 28th for Consortium as fellowship notifications go out mid March and they have to give the admissions decision before then.
1 KUDOS received
VP
VP

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Fall 2011 Consortium Applicants! [#permalink] New post 03 Feb 2011, 08:09
This post received
KUDOS
FYI..I just checked my email and I don't have any interview invitations. I will however be saving $5 from Pottery Barn.

My stats:
Store: Pottery Barn NYC
Coupon code: 3984848
Extracurricular: also shop at Foot Locker
Leadership Experience: take active roles in buying stuff
1 KUDOS received
VP
VP

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Fall 2011 Consortium Applicants! [#permalink] New post 03 Feb 2011, 19:01
This post received
KUDOS
money9111 wrote:
thacharter wrote:
Recieved this today and applied on Jan 4th. I'm guessing this means I am a likely ding. Anybody else get this email? I have not interviewed.

Thank you for applying to the Tuck School of Business through the Consortium for Graduate Study in Management. We have received your application and it is currently under review by the Admissions Committee.

We will contact you prior to the decision release date of March 18, 2011 with instructions on how to access your admission decision. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us at tuck.admissions@dartmouth.edu.

Yeah that's not a big deal at all... I have yet to receive my email. But I know they definitely got my application lol

I can forward you mine so that you get it. Will that work?
1 KUDOS received
VP
VP

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Fall 2011 Consortium Applicants! [#permalink] New post 04 Feb 2011, 05:49
This post received
KUDOS
money9111 wrote:
@lagomez... I can't with you!! lmao... can you write a blog post for me please? after my depressing posts recently, it needs some lightening up!

Thanks for the invite but I wouldn't know what to poison your readers with.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Affiliations: Certified LSS Green Belt, Certified in Sustainable Business Practices
Schools: Cornell Johnson (Admit w/$)
WE 1: Defense/Aerospace
WE 2: Manufacturing

Kudos [?]: 2 [1] , given: 0

Re: Calling all Fall 2011 Consortium Applicants! [#permalink] New post 04 Feb 2011, 19:38
This post received
KUDOS
lagomez wrote:
Wow..another email from Johnson. I guess two means you are really broke.

Super broke! At least they are kind enough to provide alternatives to stripping your way through grad school. (I have thought about it...) :?

Posted from my mobile device Image
1 KUDOS received
GMAT Forum Moderator
Concentration: Healthcare, Economics
Schools: Ross '14 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
GMAT 2: Q V
GPA: 3.54
WE: Accounting (Manufacturing)
Followers: 53

Kudos [?]: 374 [1] , given: 234

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Calling all Fall 2011 Consortium Applicants! [#permalink] New post 05 Feb 2011, 02:24
This post received
KUDOS
...and then there was one, down to Ross for me

Strategy Discussion Thread | Strategy Master | GMAT Debrief| Please discuss strategies in discussion thread. Master thread will be updated accordingly. | GC Member Write Ups

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
WE 1: 5 years consulting

Kudos [?]: 5 [1] , given: 13

Re: Calling all Fall 2011 Consortium Applicants! [#permalink] New post 07 Feb 2011, 18:44
This post received
KUDOS
I received an interview invite from Cornell today too.
I feel reallllly fortunate and am so thankful but I'll probably be withdrawing my app tomorrow. It's only right since I already got into a school above them on my list and an interview invite from another above them on my list. It'll make another spot for you guys and less time wasted on less interested candidates like me.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 6 [1] , given: 3

Re: Calling all Fall 2011 Consortium Applicants! [#permalink] New post 14 Feb 2011, 06:04
This post received
KUDOS
Haha, no it really is like a draft. those are the exact words I've heard admissions officers use... March 1st is right around the corner. Good luck to everyone!

Darden R1, Emory R1, Yale R1,

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: Duke (r3), Vanderbilt (admit- Diversity Scholarship) R2 Consortium: Yale (ding), Emory (admit- CGSM fellowship), Michigan (admit), UT Austin (admit), Indiana (admit)

Kudos [?]: 2 [1] , given: 3

Re: Calling all Fall 2011 Consortium Applicants! [#permalink] New post 16 Feb 2011, 10:46
This post received
KUDOS
kn2130 wrote:
BusyBee404 wrote:
Thanks kn2130 & primenumber!

@kn2130 you are so right! I finally feel like all the work put into the gmat, application, essays, etc paid off. Now I can REALLY say with confidence, all it will take is the wrong person, on the wrong day @ the job....and.....the rest will be history lol

How did you rank Emory?

#1 (Emory, Michigan, Yale, UT, Indiana). I really wish I would have put Michigan first, but we'll see what happens!
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: Cornell (accepted)
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 25 [1] , given: 4

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Fall 2011 Consortium Applicants! [#permalink] New post 20 Feb 2011, 21:11
This post received
KUDOS
Guys.. All of the schools WANT to be listed as number one. That makes sense right? But the truth of the matter is thatthe schools know who they want. If you get into a school and you ranked them 1st but don't support the consortium mission then maybe someone who does support the mission and ranked said school second will get the fellowship. All you/we can do is just trust that when each of us made our rankings that we were ok with our reasonings for placing a school on the list where we did.

We can all go back now that we've seen how admissions have started to play out and say "oh I wish I ranked X school higher". Try to refrain from doing that! We are all amazing and will be billionaires so in the long run it's pennies! ;-)

Posted from my mobile device Image

Find out more about my MBA ADMISSIONS BOOK on how to navigate the b-school application process: http://bit.ly/1a9U7Cl

Blogged my way through the application process, 1st & 2nd year of school at Johnson at Cornell University - Graduated 5/26/2013 - Follow my MBA journey here @ http://www.money9111.blogspot.com | 1 New Post on 10/10
!

1 KUDOS received
VP
VP

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Fall 2011 Consortium Applicants! [#permalink] New post 21 Feb 2011, 07:36
This post received
KUDOS
forumaddict wrote:
As I said before on this forum, the ranking system provides valuable information to the adcom and lets them protect their yields, which is an important element of their own rankings for their program. Put yourself in their shoes. You must understand their mission and their job. If I were an adcom member, and I saw two consortium applicants, all else equal, I'm going with the one who ranked me #1 as opposed to the one who ranked me #2 and who didn't get in to his top choice and chose me as plan B. With my rejection letter, I'll tell that applicant " ____ you, I'll show you who's number two!" That's why the best strategy is to take a hard look at your credentials and application profile and apply to the school where you think you have a decent shot at being accepted. Remember, for consortium applicants, there's more at stake than just admission. There's $100K on the line. As far as I'm concerned, I'd rather go to a school ranked between #10 and 20 for free, than take out a $160K loan for H,W,S. The job opportunities are the same. And when you start comparing schools in the aforementioned bracket, the differences are truly negligible and insignificant. So to make a mistake applying to Tuck or Hass, when you know the chances are a bit lower, you are taking an unnecessary and imprudent risk that does not help you with your overall goal of launching a great career with the least amount of debt possible. The consortium people say to not try to game the system, but that's exactly what you need to do in so many words.
Trust me on this one, I speak from experience.

I have to disagree with some of your points.

1. Put yourself in their shoes

Only if they use disinfectant

2. take out a $160K loan for H,W,S.

As I said before you should say HSW because some S people might get offended for putting them after W

3. job opportunities are the same

That's so no true. If I go to Harvard I have a better chance of landing a job in a minimum security prison along with some of my fellow classmates after being convicted of insider trading
1 KUDOS received
VP
VP

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Fall 2011 Consortium Applicants! [#permalink] New post 22 Feb 2011, 13:38
This post received
KUDOS
SCBooth wrote:
lagomez wrote:
SCBooth wrote:
Have NYU dings/interview invites been sent out yet?

Yes for both but dings only for R1 I believe and interviews for both R1 and R2.

So technically a R2 applicant who hasn't been dinged is still alive.

I stopped speculating a long time ago..like 3 minutes ago to be exact but still..I stopped speculating
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 10 [1] , given: 1

Re: Calling all Fall 2011 Consortium Applicants! [#permalink] New post 22 Feb 2011, 18:25
This post received
KUDOS
I'm considering killing Quadaffi so I can supplement my application. If I can swing this before MArch 1, do you guys think it will improve my chances for a FS?
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: All City Chess Club.
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
Schools: MIT (Sloan) - Class of 2013
GPA: 3.34
WE: Editorial and Writing (Journalism and Publishing)

Kudos [?]: 11 [1] , given: 0

Re: Calling all Fall 2011 Consortium Applicants! [#permalink] New post 24 Feb 2011, 19:31
This post received
KUDOS
An admissions consultant recommended reading Dr. Seuss' "Oh the places you'll go." Oddly enough it's works like a charm. Right now the part about waiting is the story of my life haha

Update:
Invites: Wharton
Dings: HBS, Columbia
Waiting: Stanford, MIT, UT, UV, NYU (ugh!), Yale, Dartmouth
(Had to cast a wide net because I'm an early career, non traditional applicant)

Good luck everyone! I better not get an email from Yale, that's all I have to say :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQRWeZy-S8Q

Congratulations!
Today is your day.
You’re off to Great Places!
You’re off and away!

You have brains in your head.
You have feet in your shoes.
You can steer yourself any direction you choose.
You’re on your own. And you know what you know. And YOU are the guy who’ll decide where to go.

You’ll look up and down streets. Look’em over with care. About some you will say, “I don’t choose to go there.” With your head full of brains and your shoes full of feet, you’re too smart to go down a not-so-good street.

And you may not find any you’ll want to go down. In that case, of course, you’ll head straight out of town. It’s opener there in the wide open air.

Out there things can happen and frequently do to people as brainy and footsy as you.
And when things start to happen, don’t worry. Don’t stew. Just go right along. You’ll start happening too.

Oh! The Places You’ll Go!
You’ll be on your way up!
You’ll be seeing great sights!
You’ll join the high fliers who soar to high heights.

You won’t lag behind, because you’ll have the speed. You’ll pass the whole gang and you’ll soon take the lead. Wherever you fly, you’ll be best of the best. Wherever you go, you will top all the rest.

Except when you don’t.
Because, sometimes, you won’t.

I’m sorry to say so but, sadly, it’s true that Bang-ups and Hang-ups can happen to you.

You can get all hung up in a prickle-ly perch. And your gang will fly on. You’ll be left in a Lurch.

You’ll come down from the Lurch with an unpleasant bump. And the chances are, then, that you’ll be in a Slump.

And when you’re in a Slump, you’re not in for much fun. Un-slumping yourself is not easily done.

You will come to a place where the streets are not marked. Some windows are lighted. But mostly they’re darked. A place you could sprain both your elbow and chin! Do you dare to stay out? Do you dare to go in? How much can you lose? How much can you win?

And if you go in, should you turn left or right…or right-and-three-quarters? Or, maybe, not quite? Or go around back and sneak in from behind? Simple it’s not, I’m afraid you will find, for a mind-maker-upper to make up his mind.

You can get so confused that you’ll start in to race down long wiggled roads at a break-necking pace and grind on for miles across weirdish wild space, headed, I fear, toward a most useless place.

The Waiting Place…for people just waiting.

Waiting for a train to go or a bus to come, or a plane to go or the mail to come, or the rain to go or the phone to ring, or the snow to snow or waiting around for a Yes or No or waiting for their hair to grow. Everyone is just waiting.

Waiting for the fish to bite or waiting for wind to fly a kite or waiting around for Friday night or waiting, perhaps, for their Uncle Jake or a pot to boil, or a Better Break or a string of pearls, or a pair of pants or a wig with curls, or Another Chance. Everyone is just waiting.

No! That’s not for you!
Somehow you’ll escape all that waiting and staying. You’ll find the bright places where Boom Bands are playing. With banner flip-flapping, once more you’ll ride high! Ready for anything under the sky. Ready because you’re that kind of a guy!

Oh, the places you’ll go! There is fun to be done! There are points to be scored. There are games to be won. And the magical things you can do with that ball will make you the winning-est winner of all. Fame! You’ll be famous as famous can be, with the whole wide world watching you win on TV.

Except when they don’t. Because, sometimes, they won’t.

I’m afraid that some times you’ll play lonely games too. Games you can’t win ‘cause you’ll play against you.

All Alone!
Whether you like it or not, Alone will be something you’ll be quite a lot.

And when you’re alone, there’s a very good chance you’ll meet things that scare you right out of your pants. There are some, down the road between hither and yon, that can scare you so much you won’t want to go on.

But on you will go though the weather be foul. On you will go though your enemies prowl. On you will go though the Hakken-Kraks howl. Onward up many a frightening creek, though your arms may get sore and your sneakers may leak. On and on you will hike. And I know you’ll hike far and face up to your problems whatever they are.

You’ll get mixed up, of course, as you already know. You’ll get mixed up with many strange birds as you go. So be sure when you step. Step with care and great tact and remember that Life’s a Great Balancing Act. Just never forget to be dexterous and deft. And never mix up your right foot with your left.

And will you succeed?
Yes! You will, indeed!
(98 and ¾ percent guaranteed.)

Kid, you’ll move mountains!
So…be your name Buxbaum or Bixby or Bray or Mordecai Ale Van Allen O’Shea, you’re off to Great Places!
Today is your day!
Your mountain is waiting.
So…get on your way!
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: Duke (r3), Vanderbilt (admit- Diversity Scholarship) R2 Consortium: Yale (ding), Emory (admit- CGSM fellowship), Michigan (admit), UT Austin (admit), Indiana (admit)

Kudos [?]: 2 [1] , given: 3

Re: Calling all Fall 2011 Consortium Applicants! [#permalink] New post 25 Feb 2011, 15:35
This post received
KUDOS
Congrats primenumber!!!
1 KUDOS received
VP
VP

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Fall 2011 Consortium Applicants! [#permalink] New post 28 Feb 2011, 11:48
This post received
KUDOS
VictoryMBA wrote:
So this weekend was NYU Stern Diversity Weekend right? How did that go? Any useful insights?

Yes, so I arrive at 8 AM ready to get through security when guards pull me out of line and take me to an undisclosed location. Apparently there was a Consortium leak and guards had knowledge that I was going to attend. Don't worry, I will find the traitor on this board and I will deal with you personally. Meet me at the Kobra Kai dojo on Friday and we'll settle it there. Anyway, back to my story. So I was whisked away on a child stroller not knowing if I'll make it in time to Denny's for the Rooty Tooty Fresh and Fruity (or is that IHOP? I don't know). So they sit me in a room with one light shining on my face. This is completely illegal I tell myself. I can't believe what is going on here. They are still using an incandescent light bulb which will soon be illegal. Anyway, back the questioning. I'm asked, "what are you doing here". I told them I was within my legal rights to attend because I ranked NYU at the top of my Consortium list and that I'm diverse and I wanted to celebrate diversity day. They then tell me that Diversity Day is by invitation only. I'm then slapped across the face. My eyes red with tears, not because I'm scared but because the dude must have eaten an onion bagel for breakfast and he still had remnants on his hand, and I tell him I'm sorry and that all I wanted was a NYU t-shirt. He leaves the room for 10 minutes and I see a rat run across my foot. They must have taken me to an abandoned warehouse. Come to find out I was in a Taco Bell kitchen. He comes back 10 minutes later and hands me a t-shirt and tells me to get on my way. As I leave I order a Burrito Supreme, eat it, get my shirt and use it to wipe my face. I head back to NYU and do a drive by t-shirting while screaming "this is what I think of your t-shirt sucka".

Anyway, that's about all.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 10 [1] , given: 1

Re: Calling all Fall 2011 Consortium Applicants! [#permalink] New post 01 Mar 2011, 07:21
This post received
KUDOS
money9111 wrote:
Maybe I'm an optimist but I can't imagine any school going to that meeting not knowing where a candidate stands with regards to an acceptance or rejection. All of NYU's dates/deadlines are relatively late compared to their peer schools. I mean look at the notification deadline. APRIL 1st!! some schools deposits are due that day lmao

Yes, today they are meeting about the FS, but their admissions decisions are inextricably intertwined with the FS decisions. That's why they are all meeting! They say that their admissions decisions are independent, but then why are they collaborating? To compare notes. Yes, the schools control their destiny with regards to the apps who ranked them #1, because the ball is in their court with these applicants. But schools who mostly have #2 and #3 rankings (and there are some of them) are waiting for the #1's to pass them up so they can make a move.

Personally, I think Ross has the right idea by committing to the March 8th notification date so that they force all other schools to have their decisions made by the end of today. The rule is that the #1 school has the right of first refusal on the FS, but if they are not willing or NOT READY to offer the fellowship, then the right shifts down the line. Ross is basically saying, if you're not ready to make a decision on a certain candidate, we are. This forces all schools to accelerate their decisions.
There's no error in my analysis.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Schools: NYU (Admit w/ $), UT (Admit w/ ?), CMU (Admit w/ $), UMich (Admit), UVA (Int.), Duke (Int.)

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 0

Re: Calling all Fall 2011 Consortium Applicants! [#permalink] New post 01 Mar 2011, 07:32
This post received
KUDOS
What forumaddict described is extremely accurate to what actually happens. The schools ranked less #1 use this draft to manage their yields.

I have a friend who was told directly by an adcom (#3 school) that he got waitlisted because they saw that his #1 school offered him the fellowship at the draft and they knew he would be going to a #1.

I wouldn't say this is the case for all candidates though. Some candidates are definitely admitted regardless of ranking because of their profile. Supposedly there is an agreement amongst the Consortium schools where lower ranked schools (on an applicant's ranking list) will not offer a scholarship that comes close to full tuition...however, this "agreement" is necessarily followed by all schools.

It really just depends on the applicant. Don't believe for a second that the rankings are "just for a fellowship." Rankings matter (more for some schools) and the collaboration amongst the schools really allow for them to manage their yields.
Re: Calling all Fall 2011 Consortium Applicants!   [#permalink] 01 Mar 2011, 07:32