Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 01 Oct 2014, 12:39

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling all Fall 2011 Consortium Applicants!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
VP
VP
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 197 [0], given: 31

Re: Calling all Fall 2011 Consortium Applicants! [#permalink] New post 06 Apr 2011, 13:04
anyone here apply for the BAML fellowship?
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Fall 2011 Consortium Applicants! [#permalink] New post 07 Apr 2011, 18:14
lagomez wrote:
anyone here apply for the BAML fellowship?

I did. Apparently not that many people applied last year and this year they are giving away more awards. Hoping I can snag a fellowship from them...
Intern
Intern

Re: Calling all Fall 2011 Consortium Applicants! [#permalink] New post 07 Apr 2011, 22:09
i am planning to apply in 1-2 years, so this thread has been excellent information for my research. i was speaking with my friend about consortium and he suggested that some member schools offer more consortium fellowships than others. he suggested that USC Marshall does not offer more than 1-3 fellowships each year. is it possible to see how many fellowships were offered by each member school? or have you guys noticed any trends or know of which schools are more generous with fellowships?

i figure that it may be smarter to prioritize schools which i have a good chance of becoming admitted AND offer more fellowships rather than schools which i have a good chance of becoming admitted AND offer fewer fellowships.
VP
VP

Re: Calling all Fall 2011 Consortium Applicants! [#permalink] New post 08 Apr 2011, 04:25
chamacko wrote:
i am planning to apply in 1-2 years, so this thread has been excellent information for my research. i was speaking with my friend about consortium and he suggested that some member schools offer more consortium fellowships than others. he suggested that USC Marshall does not offer more than 1-3 fellowships each year. is it possible to see how many fellowships were offered by each member school? or have you guys noticed any trends or know of which schools are more generous with fellowships?

i figure that it may be smarter to prioritize schools which i have a good chance of becoming admitted AND offer more fellowships rather than schools which i have a good chance of becoming admitted AND offer fewer fellowships.

I don't think there is a list. Go through this thread for starters. It seems like Ross gave out a lot of fellowship but I could be mistaken.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Re: Calling all Fall 2011 Consortium Applicants! [#permalink] New post 08 Apr 2011, 07:10
lagomez is right, as usual. One of the best things you can do to prepare for a Consortium application is to review this thread, CAREFULLY. My suggestion for new applicants (1-2 years out) is to think carefully about your "rankings." Be realistic about your chances of acceptance by a specific school. Ignore business school rankings for the most part (I know -- it's tough to do so). As a general rule, if you can get into a school like "Dartmouth Tuck" via a regular application, then of course go ahead and list it at the top of your Consortium rankings if that's where you truly want to go (that's just an example). If you objectively review your own profile (in comparison) to the school's profile of entering students, and you are well below-average, then I suggest you select a school more in-line with your personal stats. Note: ALL of the Consortium schools are great schools. There are some really good under-the-radar schools like Simon, Olin, Jones, etc. They didn't get much attention on this forum. In my humble opinion, everyone who received a fellowship this year knows he/she was fortunate (probably @ 70%)... The other 30% probably "could" have received fellowships, but did not for a variety of reasons -- mostly because of their rankings. There are certain schools who will not even consider you if you don't place them #1 or #2, and there are others in which it really doesn't matter at all. You have to figure out who they are and be very objective/realistic during your evaluation of the rankings. Select a school you really want to go to (or could see yourself at) because of fit, culture, location, specialization, career center, etc.

Bottom line is if your main objective is a "fellowship," then you should pursue a very specific strategy for targeting that one or two schools. If you seek "straight membership" and want to affiliate with the Consortium and "reach" for another school, that's a separate strategy. And if you just want to use the Consortium process as a means for "spraying" a common application and hoping for the best, then that's a completely different approach... I don't have any access to hard numbers, but if we have @ 330 members (class of 2013), and approx 70% receive fellowships (based on previous 1-3 yrs), then thats about 230 fellowships. Divided by the schools -- I am guessing around 13-15 per school. Some provide +/-

Above everyting else, make sure you understand the mission of the Consortium and be prepared to explain how you have supported [and will support] the mission. If you are just using the process to save money that will be pretty obvious to everyone, and will not serve you, your classmates or the schools well at all.

Hopefully next year there will be some real strong forum leaders (like lagomez and a handful of others) who have lots of insights, opinions and one heck of a sense of humor who keeps it all real, fun and interesting. Good luck.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Re: Calling all Fall 2011 Consortium Applicants! [#permalink] New post 08 Apr 2011, 08:04
oops - received two IMs from colleagues reminding me "Jones" [Rice/Jones] isn't a member school. Of course they are correct. Jones, however, provides "Consortium-like" incentives. Additionally, the 13-15 fellowship estimates per school was just a straight-divisional swag. Class sizes are not the same. Neither are budgets (the schools pay for the fellowships). So obviously the larger schools [should] have more Consortium members/fellows than the smaller programs. Thanks.
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: All City Chess Club.
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
Schools: MIT (Sloan) - Class of 2013
GPA: 3.34
WE: Editorial and Writing (Journalism and Publishing)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Fall 2011 Consortium Applicants! [#permalink] New post 12 Apr 2011, 16:11
Hey guys,

Haven't checked this topic in a while as the Consortium played my life (all dings and a WL at Yale) but I thought I'd check in cause this is low key also the URM topic and I'm in search of some URM money, or just money period. Preferably in singles.

Does anyone have any insight as to where I can find scholarships or fellowships for URMs, Women, etc that don't come with a "you must work in finance" clause? Oh and if there's some obscure scholarship for 22 year old female URMs on the east coast who took a year off prior to applying to b-school and therefore has no money to pay for tuition, I'm down for that too. MIT is expensive and hasn't announced scholarships yet so I'm on the prowl.

Congrats again to the admits!

..don't be surprised if she asks where the cash at.
Manager
Manager
Schools: Wharton Class of 2013

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

Re: Calling all Fall 2011 Consortium Applicants! [#permalink] New post 27 Apr 2011, 06:33
Not sure if anyone saw this article from Poets & Quants but it offers some insight into the Consortium Fellowship process. Very odd the way the process is structured.

http://poetsandquants.com/2011/04/20/inside-the-20-million-mba-draft/

Good luck to all Consortium folks next year in school - sorry I won't be joining you
Manager
Manager
Schools: Ross School of Business 2013
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Fall 2011 Consortium Applicants! [#permalink] New post 27 Apr 2011, 07:17
For anyone who is waitlisted at Emory, they are having their "Should we let him in" meeting today.
Director
Director
Schools: Tuck, Yale (ding), NYU, Columbia, Duke (int)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 13

Re: Calling all Fall 2011 Consortium Applicants! [#permalink] New post 27 Apr 2011, 12:23
So I was rejected at all Consortium schools and WL at Duke. I'm not too keen on attending Duke even if I were to get in however. I've done some serious soul searching and have come to the conclusion that being in a major city is a top priority for me. I spent 2 years in a very small town while completing a Master's degree, and I felt like my life was completely on hold. I just feel like it's time for a new experience. That being said, I'll be reapplying via the Consortium next year, who is going to be here with me??

I can't believe this process is going to be starting all over again in just a few months. Hell, I'm going to start studying for a GMAT retake in about a month.
VP
VP

Re: Calling all Fall 2011 Consortium Applicants! [#permalink] New post 28 Apr 2011, 04:56
VictoryMBA wrote:
So I was rejected at all Consortium schools and WL at Duke. I'm not too keen on attending Duke even if I were to get in however. I've done some serious soul searching and have come to the conclusion that being in a major city is a top priority for me. I spent 2 years in a very small town while completing a Master's degree, and I felt like my life was completely on hold. I just feel like it's time for a new experience. That being said, I'll be reapplying via the Consortium next year, who is going to be here with me??

I can't believe this process is going to be starting all over again in just a few months. Hell, I'm going to start studying for a GMAT retake in about a month.

Good luck. I'm sure you will get in next year.
Director
Director

Re: Calling all Fall 2011 Consortium Applicants! [#permalink] New post 28 Apr 2011, 05:14
Thanks man. Do you know where you are headed?

Posted from my mobile device Image
VP
VP

Re: Calling all Fall 2011 Consortium Applicants! [#permalink] New post 28 Apr 2011, 05:17
VictoryMBA wrote:
Thanks man. Do you know where you are headed?

Posted from my mobile device Image

not yet but I was told I could hear next month, we'll see
Intern
Intern

Re: Calling all Fall 2011 Consortium Applicants! [#permalink] New post 29 Apr 2011, 09:20
Hey Guys:

Does anyone know when fellowship monies are posted to the student accounts by any chance?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: 660 Q42 V39
GMAT 2: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.49
WE: Analyst (Insurance)

Kudos [?]: 50 [0], given: 17

Re: Calling all Fall 2011 Consortium Applicants! [#permalink] New post 29 Apr 2011, 09:24
VictoryMBA wrote:

All the best!!! You'll probably be more competitive next year.

He that is in me > he that is in the world. - source 1 John 4:4

Intern
Intern

Re: Calling all Fall 2011 Consortium Applicants! [#permalink] New post 01 May 2011, 11:57
Quick question, and I don't intend for this to turn into some heated AA thread but apart from the fellowship does applying via Consortium aid you in the admissions process if you are an URM?
Ex. African American male from a top Ivy with a 3.0 and 700 GMAT applying to SOM and Stern. Is it better to apply through consortium rather than going straight through the schools online app?

Thanks!
VP
VP

Re: Calling all Fall 2011 Consortium Applicants! [#permalink] New post 01 May 2011, 14:33
mustgetin wrote:
Quick question, and I don't intend for this to turn into some heated AA thread but apart from the fellowship does applying via Consortium aid you in the admissions process if you are an URM?
Ex. African American male from a top Ivy with a 3.0 and 700 GMAT applying to SOM and Stern. Is it better to apply through consortium rather than going straight through the schools online app?

Thanks!

Some (applicants) say it helps some (the schools) say it does not. My guess is it helps.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: 660 Q42 V39
GMAT 2: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.49
WE: Analyst (Insurance)

Kudos [?]: 50 [0], given: 17

Re: Calling all Fall 2011 Consortium Applicants! [#permalink] New post 02 May 2011, 09:37
lagomez wrote:
mustgetin wrote:

Thanks!

Some (applicants) say it helps some (the schools) say it does not. My guess is it helps.

I second Lagomez' statement.

He that is in me > he that is in the world. - source 1 John 4:4

Director
Director

Re: Calling all Fall 2011 Consortium Applicants! [#permalink] New post 03 May 2011, 17:42
Any rumors about new schools being added to the consortium for next year?
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 4

Re: Calling all Fall 2011 Consortium Applicants! [#permalink] New post 03 May 2011, 18:52
Not trying to add salt to anyone's wounds, but I was at the gym and just watched an interesting special: Blacks in Latin America....

http://www.thirteen.org/insidethirteen/ ... n-america/
Re: Calling all Fall 2011 Consortium Applicants!   [#permalink] 03 May 2011, 18:52