Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 01 Oct 2014, 10:51

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling all Fall 2011 Consortium Applicants!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Schools: Top 20 Schools!
WE 1: >2 in IT
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: Calling all Fall 2011 Consortium Applicants! [#permalink] New post 16 Jun 2011, 05:08
Hi shadow

Thanks for the quick reply.Really appreciate it. I read the first part but still I am not clear about few things :

1. How consortium helps against applying separately ?
2. Do universities consider applicants differently who have applied through consortium against applicants who have applied separately ?

How is it exactly different from applying separately ?

I am sorry if I am sounding silly but I really wanted to clear the air about this consortium thing.

Thanks a ton !
Intern
Intern
Schools: Top 20 Schools!
WE 1: >2 in IT

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: Calling all Fall 2011 Consortium Applicants! [#permalink] New post 17 Jun 2011, 03:48
Hello Guys,

I wanted to know is Consortium only for U.S. citizen or permanent resident. Can anyone help ?

Thanks
Ankush
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Fall 2011 Consortium Applicants! [#permalink] New post 21 Jun 2011, 07:10
OP's only a few days away and nobody's talking about it?

I am disappoint

Posted from my mobile device Image
Intern
Intern
Schools: Consortium (Tuck (WL), Darden(Admitted with $$),Kelley(Admitted))

Re: Calling all Fall 2011 Consortium Applicants! [#permalink] New post 21 Jun 2011, 07:12
soulflower wrote:

I am disappoint

OK Lets talk about it ! What do you have to say ?LOL
Intern
Intern

Re: Calling all Fall 2011 Consortium Applicants! [#permalink] New post 21 Jun 2011, 08:29
Anybody had interviews line up for OP ? Do you want to share ? I had a phone interview with Target for their FLDP Program but didnt get a call back .Waiting for a couple other feedbacks.
Intern
Intern

Re: Calling all Fall 2011 Consortium Applicants! [#permalink] New post 21 Jun 2011, 14:45
edemlaw wrote:
soulflower wrote:

I am disappoint

I don't really know lol. I'm excited about it, but since I got in a little late in the game I feel like I'm probably at a disadvantage as far as interviewing goes.

How did you get your interview with Target? Did you post your resume and they contact you or did you kind of pursue them?
Current Student
Schools: Cornell (accepted)
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 4

Re: Calling all Fall 2011 Consortium Applicants! [#permalink] New post 21 Jun 2011, 19:58
Ankush002 wrote:
Hello Guys,

I wanted to know is Consortium only for U.S. citizen or permanent resident. Can anyone help ?

Thanks
Ankush

Prospective applicants who meet all of the following requirements are eligible to apply through The Consortium:
1. African Americans, Hispanic Americans, Native Americans, or U.S. citizens or U.S. permanent residents of any race or ethnicity
2. Demonstrate a commitment to The Consortium’s mission of helping to reduce the serious underrepresentation of African Americans, Hispanic Americans and Native Americans in both our member schools’ enrollments and the ranks of management
3. Hold a four-year bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university in the U.S. or an equivalent degree from a foreign country

Find out more about my MBA ADMISSIONS BOOK on how to navigate the b-school application process: http://bit.ly/1a9U7Cl

Blogged my way through the application process, 1st & 2nd year of school at Johnson at Cornell University - Graduated 5/26/2013 - Follow my MBA journey here @ http://www.money9111.blogspot.com | 1 New Post on 10/10
!

Intern
Intern

Re: Calling all Fall 2011 Consortium Applicants! [#permalink] New post 22 Jun 2011, 06:37
soulflower wrote:
edemlaw wrote:
soulflower wrote:

I am disappoint

I don't really know lol. I'm excited about it, but since I got in a little late in the game I feel like I'm probably at a disadvantage as far as interviewing goes.

How did you get your interview with Target? Did you post your resume and they contact you or did you kind of pursue them?

They contacted me from and asked if i was interested in setting a phone interview . so i set it up and had the interview .They never got back to me so i guess i did not do that well lol . i dont think you are at a disadvantage . lots of companies are doing walk ins and you get to meet a lot of them back at National Black or National Hispanic so i think you ll be fine .
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: 660 Q42 V39
GMAT 2: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.49
WE: Analyst (Insurance)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 50 [0], given: 17

Re: Calling all Fall 2011 Consortium Applicants! [#permalink] New post 22 Jun 2011, 10:19
Ankush002 wrote:
Hi shadow

Thanks for the quick reply.Really appreciate it. I read the first part but still I am not clear about few things :

1. How consortium helps against applying separately ?
2. Do universities consider applicants differently who have applied through consortium against applicants who have applied separately ?

How is it exactly different from applying separately ?

I am sorry if I am sounding silly but I really wanted to clear the air about this consortium thing.

Thanks a ton !

1) idk if it helps vs applying seperately in any way other than you get to write less essays so it's much easier (and cheaper) but I certainly know that it helps with getting exposure and interview offers early. There are some consortium members who have offers before they even start their first year of classes. I can scarcely imagine the academic advantage when everyone else is juggling studying, networking, and recruiting.

2) idk. ask the schools you're interested in.

He that is in me > he that is in the world. - source 1 John 4:4

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: Calling all Fall 2011 Consortium Applicants! [#permalink] New post 22 Jun 2011, 10:23
edemlaw wrote:
Anybody had interviews line up for OP ? Do you want to share ? I had a phone interview with Target for their FLDP Program but didnt get a call back .Waiting for a couple other feedbacks.

Edem, who else are you waiting for feedback from? Sidenote: It'll be great to see you and the gang again this weekend.

Bruce

Intern
Intern

Re: Calling all Fall 2011 Consortium Applicants! [#permalink] New post 23 Jun 2011, 11:10
edemlaw wrote:

Hey man, I have 3 interviews set up so far. All are for corporate finance positions.....as for Target, i interviewed on the phone as well and didn't hear back as well.
Intern
Intern

Re: Calling all Fall 2011 Consortium Applicants! [#permalink] New post 27 Jun 2011, 06:10
Hey Everyone,

So I am planning on applying to a couple schools through CGSM this fall which I am VERY excited/hopeful about, and I have a couple of questions. I'm actually going into my senior year at a big east coast state school and will be applying for the Fall 2012 semester without any full-time experience. I understand that pretty much every business school wants some type of full-time work experience, but will it hinder my chances that much?? I currently intern at a top ten global law firm and spent the greater part of my upbringing in the Caribbean speaking two other languages. So I feel that what I lack in work experience, I kind of make up for in life experience and a decent internship?

Also, I have spent countless hours looking through the other threads on this site and I have to say...I am very intimidated by the amazing numbers which others are posting and yet they still get W/L or DINGED. I currently am floating around a 3.2 and am planning on taking the GMAT next month, but seeing consistent scores around 720+ is making my chances seem a lot thinner than I thought. I was shooting to break 700 before seeing this site, hah...

Now, I am not planning on applying to any of the ivy schools as I want to try and stay relatively realistic, but would schools such as UT-Austin, USC, or even UCLA be a reach for me as well?

Thanks in advance to anyone who responds, I will be paying close attention to this thread throughout my application process.
VP
VP
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 197 [0], given: 31

Re: Calling all Fall 2011 Consortium Applicants! [#permalink] New post 27 Jun 2011, 06:18
zemi10 wrote:
Hey Everyone,

So I am planning on applying to a couple schools through CGSM this fall which I am VERY excited/hopeful about, and I have a couple of questions. I'm actually going into my senior year at a big east coast state school and will be applying for the Fall 2012 semester without any full-time experience. I understand that pretty much every business school wants some type of full-time work experience, but will it hinder my chances that much?? I currently intern at a top ten global law firm and spent the greater part of my upbringing in the Caribbean speaking two other languages. So I feel that what I lack in work experience, I kind of make up for in life experience and a decent internship?

Also, I have spent countless hours looking through the other threads on this site and I have to say...I am very intimidated by the amazing numbers which others are posting and yet they still get W/L or DINGED. I currently am floating around a 3.2 and am planning on taking the GMAT next month, but seeing consistent scores around 720+ is making my chances seem a lot thinner than I thought. I was shooting to break 700 before seeing this site, hah...

Now, I am not planning on applying to any of the ivy schools as I want to try and stay relatively realistic, but would schools such as UT-Austin, USC, or even UCLA be a reach for me as well?

Thanks in advance to anyone who responds, I will be paying close attention to this thread throughout my application process.

you definitely have an uphill battle....never say never i guess...realistically, you need full-time experience
VP
VP
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 197 [0], given: 31

Re: Calling all Fall 2011 Consortium Applicants! [#permalink] New post 27 Jun 2011, 06:19
zemi10 wrote:
Hey Everyone,

it's better to follow this thread

calling-all-fall-2012-consortium-applicants-116034.html
Intern
Intern

Re: Calling all Fall 2011 Consortium Applicants! [#permalink] New post 30 Jun 2011, 19:23
Fall 2012 applicant digging for info... Now that OP is over, this is probably the best time to ask this question to those fortunate enough to have attended:

Were you able to get a sense from talking to other attendees or a list- how many fellowships/memberships are offered by each school and which ones are most generous?

I'm coming from a non-profit background and will probably return after MBA, so a fellowship is very important to me. I've gone through this thread and see that ranking plays an important factor in getting awarded fellowship, membership, or nothing at all.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: Calling all Fall 2011 Consortium Applicants! [#permalink] New post 01 Jul 2011, 08:21
chamacko wrote:
Fall 2012 applicant digging for info... Now that OP is over, this is probably the best time to ask this question to those fortunate enough to have attended:

Were you able to get a sense from talking to other attendees or a list- how many fellowships/memberships are offered by each school and which ones are most generous?

I'm coming from a non-profit background and will probably return after MBA, so a fellowship is very important to me. I've gone through this thread and see that ranking plays an important factor in getting awarded fellowship, membership, or nothing at all.

At my school there were sixteen of us admitted through the Consortium. I only know of one person not getting the fellowship though.

Manager
Manager
Affiliations: All City Chess Club.
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
Schools: MIT (Sloan) - Class of 2013
GPA: 3.34
WE: Editorial and Writing (Journalism and Publishing)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Fall 2011 Consortium Applicants! [#permalink] New post 18 Jul 2011, 13:19
lagomez wrote:
zemi10 wrote:
Hey Everyone,

you definitely have an uphill battle....never say never i guess...realistically, you need full-time experience

[I'm gonna rush this b/c I'm at work (pre-MBA internship woot!) but thought you'd appreciate a young MBA response]

Uphill yes, impossible no. I am American but from the carib and applied to CGSM and non CGSM schools one year out of graduation. I got a scholarship to Sloan, Dinged after Summer WL at Wharton w/interview and dinged after WL at Yale (I didn't submit updates as requested because I knew I was going to Sloan so I'm not surprised I was dinged).

I took the GRE, had a 3.3 GPA, journalism background, started the app process a couple months before the deadline and just about anything you could think of that would put the odds against me lol. I still got in but I think it was the fact that age aside, my app was strong. I'm an entrepreneur, did internships in the double digits at top companies, worked for a top co. part-time for two years managing six, and freelanced professionally while undergrad for two years (positions usually given to college grads). I had a lot of experience as well as awards, scholarships and service. The trick is to be in the top 1% of your peers in addition to having a "wow" factor. But even then, I'd be lying if I didn't say it was tough.

If you know age is what holds you back, every other component of your application should be rockstar status.

Think:

- Essays
- Test Scores
- Experience
- Extracurriculars
- Service
- Personal/Life
- Career Goals
- Maturity
- Interviews
- Recs

My application statuses with the schools I applied to probably had more to do with the fact that I didn't have enough time to spend on them than the fact that I was young; although age I'm sure was a deal breaker for many schools. I think it was something around 12 of the top 20 schools that did not admit a single young applicant. In addition to age and not having enough time to dedicate to the apps, my app's main pitfalls were taking the GRE (some say it doesn't matter, others say it does), coming from a non-traditional background, wanting to enter a field that generally doesn't require an MBA, and not visiting all of the schools I applied to. Had I found GMATClub BEFORE I applied, I would've been much more successful so you are on the right track with research and your profile is likely less complicated than mine. Sloan was my top choice though so no complaints here!

You haven't said much about your profile, but having just one internship upon graduation doesn't put you in the top % of your peers in terms of exp. Did you start a business? You said life experience, what does that entail? Like if you were displaced by the earthquake in Haiti and developed a strategy to salvage destroyed businesses or coordinated the distribution of resources at ground-zero, that'll sway some admissions staffers in your direction. It's not formal professional experience but it took skills pertinent to business. Two languages alone might not make up for lack of professional experience, languages help more in distinguishing you from similar young applicants. Also, a challenge for young applicants is having well-defined career goals and why you are unable to progress to the next step without an MBA, i.e. a sense of urgency like "hey I own a business that needs to move to the next level!" What's your reason for not waiting?

If you have stellar responses to all those Qs and can hit the core elements of your applications well, you stand a shot! To me, the worse they can say is no. Go for it (!!) but manage your expectations. If it doesn't work out, your app will be even stronger for the following round.

Feel free to ask for clarification, I rushed and likely rambled :)
Intern
Intern

Re: Calling all Fall 2011 Consortium Applicants! [#permalink] New post 24 Oct 2011, 07:18
Hello All,

I am planning on applying to various B Schools next year (for Fall 2013) through the Consortium. I want to make sure that I am the best candidate possible. I think I am a strong candidate, however my weakness may be demonstrating a commitment to the consortium mission. How have you guys demonstrated a commitment to the mission?
VP
VP
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
WE: Sales (Consumer Products)
Followers: 98

Kudos [?]: 400 [0], given: 73

Premium Member
Re: Calling all Fall 2011 Consortium Applicants! [#permalink] New post 24 Oct 2011, 07:41
arielt15 wrote:
Hello All,

I am planning on applying to various B Schools next year (for Fall 2013) through the Consortium. I want to make sure that I am the best candidate possible. I think I am a strong candidate, however my weakness may be demonstrating a commitment to the consortium mission. How have you guys demonstrated a commitment to the mission?

There's a new Consortium thread for people applying now. You should post this question there.

The Brain Dump - From Low GPA to Top MBA (Updated September 1, 2013) - A Few of My Favorite Things--> http://cheetarah1980.blogspot.com

Re: Calling all Fall 2011 Consortium Applicants!   [#permalink] 24 Oct 2011, 07:41