Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 18 Apr 2014, 22:56

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling all Fall 2011 Consortium Applicants!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
VP
VP
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 186 [0], given: 31

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Fall 2011 Consortium Applicants! [#permalink] New post 22 Nov 2010, 15:08
I've sent out 4 emails (yes, sufficient time apart) and have yet to get a response. Anyone else have this much trouble scheduling an interview?
Current Student
Schools: Michigan - Ross Class of 2012
WE 1: Marketing within Financial Services
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 9

Re: Calling all Fall 2011 Consortium Applicants! [#permalink] New post 22 Nov 2010, 17:40
lagomez wrote:
I've sent out 4 emails (yes, sufficient time apart) and have yet to get a response. Anyone else have this much trouble scheduling an interview?

If possible, I suggest just doing it with one of the Consortium schools. I actually liked doing it this way because they played it more by the book whereas an alumni interviewer can get you wide variations in experiences. Some for the better, and others not. I've heard horror stories from a few people that I know.

Plus, you get the benefit of a verifiable interview scheduled and a much higher likelihood of response.

I had a horrible experience trying to get an interview scheduled for a non-Consortium school last year which I 100% believe is why I was waitlisted and not admitted. So my advice is always to take the safest solution to get it done even if mildly inconvenient.

Detailed Profile with Interviews/Dings/Admits: Go Here

VP
VP

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Fall 2011 Consortium Applicants! [#permalink] New post 22 Nov 2010, 17:44
theoutlawfades wrote:
lagomez wrote:

If possible, I suggest just doing it with one of the Consortium schools. I actually liked doing it this way because they played it more by the book whereas an alumni interviewer can get you wide variations in experiences. Some for the better, and others not. I've heard horror stories from a few people that I know.

Plus, you get the benefit of a verifiable interview scheduled and a much higher likelihood of response.

I had a horrible experience trying to get an interview scheduled for a non-Consortium school last year which I 100% believe is why I was waitlisted and not admitted. So my advice is always to take the safest solution to get it done even if mildly inconvenient.

Thanks for the tip. Looks like I'm going to do just that. Do these people volunteer? You would think that they would have the courtesy at least to respond yes/no. What does that take, 20 seconds. Why volunteer if you can't respond? If forced, okay, maybe I'll understand. Jeez, every phone gets email nowadays. Respond while on the toilet or stuck in traffic. Not that hard.
Manager
Manager
Schools: Ross(IN–full$)
WE 1: Investment Bank
WE 2: Company in NYC
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 8

Re: Calling all Fall 2011 Consortium Applicants! [#permalink] New post 22 Nov 2010, 20:59
lagomez wrote:
theoutlawfades wrote:
lagomez wrote:

Thanks for the tip. Looks like I'm going to do just that. Do these people volunteer? You would think that they would have the courtesy at least to respond yes/no. What does that take, 20 seconds. Why volunteer if you can't respond? If forced, okay, maybe I'll understand. Jeez, every phone gets email nowadays. Respond while on the toilet or stuck in traffic. Not that hard.

I hear what you're saying...its kinda messed up that they're not responding. It could be due to thanksgiving coming up though. I would say email a few more people in your area. If no one is getting back to you, then call the consortium and see if they can get in touch with someone in your area. I have spoken with the folks at the consortium many times and they are always very helpful.

If the deadline approaches too quickly, then schedule with a member school.
Manager
Manager
Schools: Indiana, Texas, Emory

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 1

Re: Calling all Fall 2011 Consortium Applicants! [#permalink] New post 29 Nov 2010, 14:29
Hi everyone! I'm applying to several schools via the consortium. I did my consortium interview at a consortium school after having a really hard time scheduling with an alumni. I understand their situation as they are working full time as well so I just went ahead and scheduled at the school...anyway good luck everyone!

Posted from my mobile device Image

Indiana Rd 2 Texas Rd 2 Emory Rd 2

Manager
Manager

Re: Calling all Fall 2011 Consortium Applicants! [#permalink] New post 01 Dec 2010, 07:30
I guess the thing I'm curious about now is how to find out when these schools are planning on responding. The consortium doesn't appear to list notification deadlines for any schools, only that the fellowship decision is in mid-march.

Are there any consortium schools that I can go by the 2011 GC threads to determine when I might be finding out? Or is it all just a completely different ball game at every school. NYU's deadline of Nov.15 was the same as cgsm, tuck's was close at nov. 10. Is the info in those threads more likely to be applicable to cgsm candidates?
GMAT Forum Moderator
Concentration: Healthcare, Economics
Schools: Ross '14 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
GMAT 2: Q V
GPA: 3.54
WE: Accounting (Manufacturing)
Followers: 50

Kudos [?]: 348 [0], given: 234

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Calling all Fall 2011 Consortium Applicants! [#permalink] New post 01 Dec 2010, 07:37
kegewe wrote:
I guess the thing I'm curious about now is how to find out when these schools are planning on responding. The consortium doesn't appear to list notification deadlines for any schools, only that the fellowship decision is in mid-march.

Are there any consortium schools that I can go by the 2011 GC threads to determine when I might be finding out? Or is it all just a completely different ball game at every school. NYU's deadline of Nov.15 was the same as cgsm, tuck's was close at nov. 10. Is the info in those threads more likely to be applicable to cgsm candidates?

The schools are independent in this regard.

Ross followed up with me shortly after the Consortium forwarded my application. I replied to the email with some questions and scheduled a visit to the campus (no interview, just the day visit). I have not heard from Tuck or Darden (I self initiated my Tuck interview).

I'd contact the schools individually.

Strategy Discussion Thread | Strategy Master | GMAT Debrief| Please discuss strategies in discussion thread. Master thread will be updated accordingly. | GC Member Write Ups

Manager
Manager

Re: Calling all Fall 2011 Consortium Applicants! [#permalink] New post 02 Dec 2010, 21:44
mohater wrote:
kegewe wrote:

The schools are independent in this regard.

Ross followed up with me shortly after the Consortium forwarded my application. I replied to the email with some questions and scheduled a visit to the campus (no interview, just the day visit). I have not heard from Tuck or Darden (I self initiated my Tuck interview).

I'd contact the schools individually.

Yea, same here, ross sent me an email...but that's it. I've already visited Ross and Stern and already interviewed at Tuck. I guess I should contact the rest of them just to make sure they've got it all. :band
Manager
Manager

Re: Calling all Fall 2011 Consortium Applicants! [#permalink] New post 03 Dec 2010, 11:39
Question about the essay....so the consortium website says essay number one should be limited to two pages....I'm having an awfully hard time cutting down too two pages exactly while still answering that long question in full....it really is a loaded question......does everyone only have two pages?

VP
VP

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Fall 2011 Consortium Applicants! [#permalink] New post 03 Dec 2010, 11:54
Iamnotaprimenumber wrote:
Question about the essay....so the consortium website says essay number one should be limited to two pages....I'm having an awfully hard time cutting down too two pages exactly while still answering that long question in full....it really is a loaded question......does everyone only have two pages?

no more than two, double-spaced.

I have about a 1.5 pages.
Manager
Manager

Re: Calling all Fall 2011 Consortium Applicants! [#permalink] New post 03 Dec 2010, 15:51
Iamnotaprimenumber wrote:

As Mark Twain once said, and I believe I'm paraphrasing, "I didn't have time to write you a short letter, so I wrote you a long one" :writer
Manager
Manager

Re: Calling all Fall 2011 Consortium Applicants! [#permalink] New post 05 Dec 2010, 11:50
Guess I have more editing to do..just hard as a complete career switcher to tell my story in two pages and explain how my professionalexperiences are influencing my long term goals post mba when they are completely two different industries. Love my essay and worked on it for months so just kind of hard to get rid of a whole paragraph. Oh essays. I won't miss this part of the application process

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Fall 2011 Consortium Applicants! [#permalink] New post 06 Dec 2010, 13:04
What are people during for the boxes in which you have to enter your accomplishments and responsibilities? Seems a bit strange to add this information since most of it is contained within the resume. I think I might create an excel table and fill in a time history of my accomplishments and responsibilities. Was curious to see how others are approaching this portion of the application.
Intern
Intern

Re: Calling all Fall 2011 Consortium Applicants! [#permalink] New post 07 Dec 2010, 00:48
Hey everyone!

I will be applying to the Consortium as well for the January 5th round...YAYYY! I'm super excited and hoping and praying that I get accepted to my school of choice! Im doing my Consortium interview today (12/7/10) with a Consortium Alumn. I hope everything goes well! I chose a lady that went to my top choice school, which is NYU. That's how I narrowed down who I wanted to do my interview with, as there were quite a few alumnist in my area. So far our communication has been good. I feel like it will be a great interview because I know my story and I'm confident in what I want to say and talk about. I'll let you guys know how it turns out after tomorrow.

I'm still working on my application, as I will be submitting for the January 5th deadline. Is it just me, or is anyone else kind of struggling with the Mission Essay???? I guess Im a little unsure about what will be acceptable! If there are any Consortium Alumnist on here that would be willing to talk to me or inbox me about this I would be very appreciative! It would be great if I could see a sample essay possibly.
Manager
Manager

Re: Calling all Fall 2011 Consortium Applicants! [#permalink] New post 07 Dec 2010, 02:29
Good luck miss tee you sound so excited, that's great! I'm struggling with all my essays so I can't really help you there...perhaps I just need a break!

VP
VP

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Fall 2011 Consortium Applicants! [#permalink] New post 07 Dec 2010, 05:44
MissTee wrote:
Hey everyone!

I will be applying to the Consortium as well for the January 5th round...YAYYY! I'm super excited and hoping and praying that I get accepted to my school of choice! Im doing my Consortium interview today (12/7/10) with a Consortium Alumn. I hope everything goes well! I chose a lady that went to my top choice school, which is NYU. That's how I narrowed down who I wanted to do my interview with, as there were quite a few alumnist in my area. So far our communication has been good. I feel like it will be a great interview because I know my story and I'm confident in what I want to say and talk about. I'll let you guys know how it turns out after tomorrow.

I'm still working on my application, as I will be submitting for the January 5th deadline. Is it just me, or is anyone else kind of struggling with the Mission Essay???? I guess Im a little unsure about what will be acceptable! If there are any Consortium Alumnist on here that would be willing to talk to me or inbox me about this I would be very appreciative! It would be great if I could see a sample essay possibly.

I was struggling but thanks to some of the advice here I'm good to go. I would ask some of the folks on here that have been through the process.
Intern
Intern

Re: Calling all Fall 2011 Consortium Applicants! [#permalink] New post 07 Dec 2010, 09:00
I applied to Indiana University last year(and was accepted) so if anyone wants info on the Kelley School of business I have the scoop
Intern
Intern

Re: Calling all Fall 2011 Consortium Applicants! [#permalink] New post 07 Dec 2010, 09:47
lagomez wrote:
MissTee wrote:
Hey everyone!

I was struggling but thanks to some of the advice here I'm good to go. I would ask some of the folks on here that have been through the process.

@lagomez Yeah, I'm sure I will be on this forum a lot over the next few weeks, as I am still working on my application. I didn't find out about the Consortium until October, so I'm a little late in the game, but was early enough to prepare to apply for the Fall 2011 year.
Director
Director
Schools: Tuck, Yale (ding), NYU, Columbia, Duke (int)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 13

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Fall 2011 Consortium Applicants! [#permalink] New post 07 Dec 2010, 19:55
Hey MissTee, welcome to the boards and especially to this consortium thread. We haven't been too active here as of late, but I suspect as the deadline begins to near and interview invites begin to roll in this place will be jumping.

Out of curiosity, what other schools are you looking at? Are you also applying to Columbia?
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 2

Re: Calling all Fall 2011 Consortium Applicants! [#permalink] New post 10 Dec 2010, 17:48
Late response - but applied to Consortium R1. Was a few days behind, but it still made it out to the schools within a week, which was great.

Applied to Ross, Johnson, Tuck, Marshall, Anderson, and Darden.

Fingers crossed! Did my interview at a member school. I emailed for it on Monday, did the interview on Thursday, evaluation submitted by Friday. Couldn't have gone smoother.
Re: Calling all Fall 2011 Consortium Applicants!   [#permalink] 10 Dec 2010, 17:48