Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 10 Jul 2014, 17:14

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling All Fall 2011 Dartmouth (Tuck) Applicants

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
6 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
Schools: University of Virginia
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 204 [6] , given: 37

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling All Fall 2011 Dartmouth (Tuck) Applicants [#permalink] New post 29 Sep 2010, 12:47
This post received
KUDOS
Self-initiated interview.

My interview was on September 20th. I flew into Boston on the 19th, and rented a car for my long 130-mile drive to Hanover. Because this was my first time on the east coast, I seemed to have a rather difficult time to find a fast-food place. At any rate, I gave up after two tries of exiting the freeway, only to venture into the vast darkness that seemed to consume the night. I stayed at the Marriott in Lebanon, which was an awesome hotel! The room was beautiful and the bathroom is awesome (I know it sounds weird, but I have major pet peeve regarding restrooms). Since I wasn't able to find any fast food on my way to Hanover, I asked the receptionist for the nearest fast food restaurants. Lo and behold, I missed my exit and all hell broke loose...before I knew it, I was already in Vermont. The drawback of the school, which can also be viewed positively, is its location. Dartmouth really is in the middle of nowhere, which helps generate such a tight-knit group. Anyway, it took me an hour to drive back to my hotel (with my McDonald) and I slept the night away.

The morning of 20th was chilly, like any other East coast morning. I checked out of my hotel at around 7:00am and drove to Dartmouth. I signed up for the class visit/interview/campus tour altogether and the appointment begins at 8am. I got lost the first time on campus as I wasn't able to locate Tuck and its buildings. I went into the Undergraduate admissions to ask for direction and the lady was super nice (I'm sure she's seen a whole lot of people who get lost). After asking for direction, I arrived on Tuck ground about 5 till 8. Checked in and settled down and began chatting with other prospective Tuckees who are waiting there. I personally felt that everyone was so accomplished that it really put my life in shame. Of course, I talked myself out of it and eventually felt comfortable conversing with other prospectives. I attended a class (Leadership in Management & Teams, I believe) taught by Professor Kleinbaum and while it was an MBA class, I personally felt that I could've contribute a bit in the class discussion. Later I discovered that it was probably one of the easier classes at Tuck. The class was extremely discussion-driven. Professor (seemed to have) cold-called a student in the beginning to discuss the case for the day. The professor literally acted as a facilitator in discussing the case, and probed for Q&As from students. Another thing about the class was that it was only about 60 students, in which this was different from my undergraduate study where I would sit in a class of 300 people. Having a smaller class really makes a difference because students actually know who the speaker/professor is. The largest lecture classes that I sat through (for a whole quarter, or 10 weeks) was 510 students. I barely knew anyone in the class and I can't even be sure of who the professor is. Anyway, the class ended at 10:00am and my interview was scheduled at 10:15am.

The interview itself was so conversational that it felt as if I were chatting with a friend of mine. The gentleman who interviewed me had a bit of an accent, but I was able to understand him. He basically told me that he wants this interview to be a "chat", a "conversation". He told me straight out that he's not trying to grill me or throw curveballs at me, but he just wants to know who I am. So we chatted about the regular interview stuff (i.e. walk me through my resume, talk about my life after undergrad, what I can contribute to Tuck, what do I expect from Tuck) and he would, inevitably, jump into my answer by asking another follow-up question. In the end, I asked him a couple of questions, in which I genuinely had an interest in. The interview was scheduled for 45 minutes, but we lasted for about 50 minutes. I felt that the conversation could've been longer had we not been 'kicked out' of the study room by the next group of interviewer/interviewee. One thing that I can comment on is the class that I sat in prior to the interview sort of influenced some of my answers. I didn't like that feeling at all. I was very engaged in the class (quietly) and I believed I've picked up some terms here and there as I listened. My suggestion is to keep an open mind if you're going to sit through the class first. If I had a do-over, I would've opted for an earlier interview time, or preferably before I had to sit through a class. After the interview, we had lunch with the prospective students (as well as a couple of current students) and the campus tour was fairly informational.

Overall, the campus itself was beautiful and the student body seemed so awesome. Though the campus (and the town) is so tucked away on the map, there are so many things that you can do on campus that you eventually forget about the urban settings. I'm completely drawn to this school as I know I would love to be a part of this environment. The small class size is what I would really like to be in, and of course, learning to play ice hockey at Tuck is icing on the cake.

**sorry guys, did not intend for this to be this long...***

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Last edited by bakfed on 29 Sep 2010, 19:13, edited 3 times in total.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

Re: Calling All Fall 2011 Dartmouth (Tuck) Applicants [#permalink] New post 29 Sep 2010, 13:02
bakfed,

Awesome post! Thanks for sharing your experience.
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2132

Kudos [?]: 7256 [0], given: 3618

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Calling All Fall 2011 Dartmouth (Tuck) Applicants [#permalink] New post 29 Sep 2010, 18:48
Expert's post
Thanks Shalva!

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Tuck Thread Master
Schools: Stanford (in), Tuck (WL), Wharton (ding), Cornell (in)
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 85 [0], given: 69

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling All Fall 2011 Dartmouth (Tuck) Applicants [#permalink] New post 30 Sep 2010, 00:07
bakfed

Thanks! That was a great post
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling All Fall 2011 Dartmouth (Tuck) Applicants [#permalink] New post 30 Sep 2010, 09:23
bakfed wrote:
Anandzz wrote:
Guess what. I am not that early for the Early action round. Will start working on the Tuck essays tonight. Got my recommender's name listed there on the website.. Anybody else in the same boat??

Anandzz, are you still planning to apply for the EA? If so, best of luck!! The unfortunate (and probably fortunate as well) thing for Tuck is that there are several different essays to write, unlike UVA, which only has 2. At any rate, I hope it all works out in the end!

Still working on my LBS essays and will start Tuck essays on 2nd only. Two questions are essentially the same as LBS. Another two will take time. I really want to apply in EA round. One of the reco is already in. Lets see..
Current Student
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 56 [0], given: 295

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling All Fall 2011 Dartmouth (Tuck) Applicants [#permalink] New post 30 Sep 2010, 09:29
Chat transcript from today attached

Note: sorry, I had few false starts in uploading the doc. Apparently the system doesn't like rtf or txt files.
Attachments

File comment: Chat Transcript
2010-09-30 - Chat Transcript.docx [47.54 KiB]
Downloaded 76 times

To download please login or register as a user

Intern
Intern
Schools: Tuck

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling All Fall 2011 Dartmouth (Tuck) Applicants [#permalink] New post 30 Sep 2010, 10:07
Hey bakfed,

Great post! I visited campus the same day as you and absolutely loved Tuck! Any doubts I had were erased by the visit.

Quick question: Do you remember the name of the woman who did the Q & A? I remember she handed out her card, but I lost it on my journey home (not good!). Was it Karen Marks?
VP
VP
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 190 [0], given: 31

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling All Fall 2011 Dartmouth (Tuck) Applicants [#permalink] New post 30 Sep 2010, 12:00
bakfed wrote:
Self-initiated interview.

My interview was on September 20th. I flew into Boston on the 19th, and rented a car for my long 130-mile drive to Hanover. Because this was my first time on the east coast, I seemed to have a rather difficult time to find a fast-food place. At any rate, I gave up after two tries of exiting the freeway, only to venture into the vast darkness that seemed to consume the night. I stayed at the Marriott in Lebanon, which was an awesome hotel! The room was beautiful and the bathroom is awesome (I know it sounds weird, but I have major pet peeve regarding restrooms). Since I wasn't able to find any fast food on my way to Hanover, I asked the receptionist for the nearest fast food restaurants. Lo and behold, I missed my exit and all hell broke loose...before I knew it, I was already in Vermont. The drawback of the school, which can also be viewed positively, is its location. Dartmouth really is in the middle of nowhere, which helps generate such a tight-knit group. Anyway, it took me an hour to drive back to my hotel (with my McDonald) and I slept the night away.

The morning of 20th was chilly, like any other East coast morning. I checked out of my hotel at around 7:00am and drove to Dartmouth. I signed up for the class visit/interview/campus tour altogether and the appointment begins at 8am. I got lost the first time on campus as I wasn't able to locate Tuck and its buildings. I went into the Undergraduate admissions to ask for direction and the lady was super nice (I'm sure she's seen a whole lot of people who get lost). After asking for direction, I arrived on Tuck ground about 5 till 8. Checked in and settled down and began chatting with other prospective Tuckees who are waiting there. I personally felt that everyone was so accomplished that it really put my life in shame. Of course, I talked myself out of it and eventually felt comfortable conversing with other prospectives. I attended a class (Leadership in Management & Teams, I believe) taught by Professor Kleinbaum and while it was an MBA class, I personally felt that I could've contribute a bit in the class discussion. Later I discovered that it was probably one of the easier classes at Tuck. The class was extremely discussion-driven. Professor (seemed to have) cold-called a student in the beginning to discuss the case for the day. The professor literally acted as a facilitator in discussing the case, and probed for Q&As from students. Another thing about the class was that it was only about 60 students, in which this was different from my undergraduate study where I would sit in a class of 300 people. Having a smaller class really makes a difference because students actually know who the speaker/professor is. The largest lecture classes that I sat through (for a whole quarter, or 10 weeks) was 510 students. I barely knew anyone in the class and I can't even be sure of who the professor is. Anyway, the class ended at 10:00am and my interview was scheduled at 10:15am.

The interview itself was so conversational that it felt as if I were chatting with a friend of mine. The gentleman who interviewed me had a bit of an accent, but I was able to understand him. He basically told me that he wants this interview to be a "chat", a "conversation". He told me straight out that he's not trying to grill me or throw curveballs at me, but he just wants to know who I am. So we chatted about the regular interview stuff (i.e. walk me through my resume, talk about my life after undergrad, what I can contribute to Tuck, what do I expect from Tuck) and he would, inevitably, jump into my answer by asking another follow-up question. In the end, I asked him a couple of questions, in which I genuinely had an interest in. The interview was scheduled for 45 minutes, but we lasted for about 50 minutes. I felt that the conversation could've been longer had we not been 'kicked out' of the study room by the next group of interviewer/interviewee. One thing that I can comment on is the class that I sat in prior to the interview sort of influenced some of my answers. I didn't like that feeling at all. I was very engaged in the class (quietly) and I believed I've picked up some terms here and there as I listened. My suggestion is to keep an open mind if you're going to sit through the class first. If I had a do-over, I would've opted for an earlier interview time, or preferably before I had to sit through a class. After the interview, we had lunch with the prospective students (as well as a couple of current students) and the campus tour was fairly informational.

Overall, the campus itself was beautiful and the student body seemed so awesome. Though the campus (and the town) is so tucked away on the map, there are so many things that you can do on campus that you eventually forget about the urban settings. I'm completely drawn to this school as I know I would love to be a part of this environment. The small class size is what I would really like to be in, and of course, learning to play ice hockey at Tuck is icing on the cake.

**sorry guys, did not intend for this to be this long...***

Thanks for the summary. And, may you find fast food next time.
Retired Moderator

Kudos [?]: 204 [0], given: 37

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling All Fall 2011 Dartmouth (Tuck) Applicants [#permalink] New post 30 Sep 2010, 12:12
sacirema wrote:
Hey bakfed,

Great post! I visited campus the same day as you and absolutely loved Tuck! Any doubts I had were erased by the visit.

Quick question: Do you remember the name of the woman who did the Q & A? I remember she handed out her card, but I lost it on my journey home (not good!). Was it Karen Marks?

I had to leave early to drive back to Boston to catch my flight, so I did not attend the Q&A. Sorry...

Retired Moderator

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling All Fall 2011 Dartmouth (Tuck) Applicants [#permalink] New post 30 Sep 2010, 21:33
lagomez wrote:

Thanks for the summary. And, may you find fast food next time.

I pray that there will be a next time in the very near future. If so, I shall worry less about the fast food part.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling All Fall 2011 Dartmouth (Tuck) Applicants [#permalink] New post 01 Oct 2010, 19:44
Briefly describe any experiences you have working, studying, living, or traveling outside your home county. Include the location, purpose, and length of stay. If relevant, reflect on how these experiences have shaped your world view. (Limit 250 words)

How are folks approaching this question? I did not realize the app had this mini-essay hidden in it! I'm really struggling with whether this has to be a profound discussion or just an overview of the places I've been to show that I have some international exposure...
VP
VP

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling All Fall 2011 Dartmouth (Tuck) Applicants [#permalink] New post 02 Oct 2010, 06:31
coffeeaddict wrote:
Briefly describe any experiences you have working, studying, living, or traveling outside your home county. Include the location, purpose, and length of stay. If relevant, reflect on how these experiences have shaped your world view. (Limit 250 words)

How are folks approaching this question? I did not realize the app had this mini-essay hidden in it! I'm really struggling with whether this has to be a profound discussion or just an overview of the places I've been to show that I have some international exposure...

Keep it brief and make sure you answer the question(s).
Retired Moderator

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling All Fall 2011 Dartmouth (Tuck) Applicants [#permalink] New post 02 Oct 2010, 14:21
Does Tuck require a copy of the official GMAT score prior to the deadline of the round you're applying to?

Manager
Manager
Schools: Tuck, Ross, Sloan, Chicago, Kellogg & Darden
WE 1: Energy (Sales)
WE 2: Energy (Corporate Development)
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 39

Re: Calling All Fall 2011 Dartmouth (Tuck) Applicants [#permalink] New post 02 Oct 2010, 14:26
Submitted!!!
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Re: Calling All Fall 2011 Dartmouth (Tuck) Applicants [#permalink] New post 02 Oct 2010, 14:49
Did any of the people who completed their self initiated interviews get an email from their interviewer or from the adcom?
1 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator

Kudos [?]: 204 [1] , given: 37

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling All Fall 2011 Dartmouth (Tuck) Applicants [#permalink] New post 02 Oct 2010, 14:55
This post received
KUDOS
zzzz wrote:
Did any of the people who completed their self initiated interviews get an email from their interviewer or from the adcom?

I did not.

I did send my interviewer a thank-you email afterwards, but no response after that either (hopefully it's not because I tanked my interview...)

VP
VP

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling All Fall 2011 Dartmouth (Tuck) Applicants [#permalink] New post 05 Oct 2010, 11:49
It's nice to see an updated Tuck web site. Looks much better.
Retired Moderator

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling All Fall 2011 Dartmouth (Tuck) Applicants [#permalink] New post 05 Oct 2010, 12:51
Without going into my application, is the CSQ part of the application?

nvm, found out the definition of CSQ.

Tuck Thread Master
Schools: Stanford (in), Tuck (WL), Wharton (ding), Cornell (in)
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 85 [0], given: 69

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling All Fall 2011 Dartmouth (Tuck) Applicants [#permalink] New post 05 Oct 2010, 13:05
lagomez wrote:
It's nice to see an updated Tuck web site. Looks much better.

Agree, new site looks much nicer. It's somewhat easier to navigate too.
Current Student
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 2

Re: Calling All Fall 2011 Dartmouth (Tuck) Applicants [#permalink] New post 05 Oct 2010, 17:25
Nick2010 wrote:
Submitted!!!

Congrats Nick! Submitting a compelling application is a huge milestone in itself. You did it :)

How are the other EA applicants doing? I should be submitting soon, but still not entirely happy with my essays.
Re: Calling All Fall 2011 Dartmouth (Tuck) Applicants   [#permalink] 05 Oct 2010, 17:25