Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Oct 2014, 18:37

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling All Fall 2011 USC Marshall Applicants!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 5

Re: Calling All Fall 2011 USC Marshall Applicants! [#permalink] New post 22 Nov 2010, 18:26
I'm in for Round 1.

Does anyone know you can still get into Marshall if you are not offered an interview? I just need to know if I should discount USC if I don't hear anything from them shortly after the 1st. Thanks!
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: ACFE Member, CalCPA Member
Schools: Duke - Fuqua
WE 1: CPA & CFE with 7 years of experience
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling All Fall 2011 USC Marshall Applicants! [#permalink] New post 22 Nov 2010, 18:34
Chesterfield wrote:
I'm in for Round 1.

Does anyone know you can still get into Marshall if you are not offered an interview? I just need to know if I should discount USC if I don't hear anything from them shortly after the 1st. Thanks!

No, Marshall interviews 100% of the admitted applicants. In other words, if you aren't interviewed you won't be admitted. Still, according to their Business Week profile, they interviewed 60% of the applicants last year.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

Re: Calling All Fall 2011 USC Marshall Applicants! [#permalink] New post 22 Nov 2010, 20:38
Quote:
When I visited the campus and met with admissions, they basically told me that it was more of a commuter campus and folks drove in from the city (not surprising given that it is LA). I don't think you should expect to find many of your MBA classmates in the nearby USC area. That was just my impression though, when I visited.

There's a pretty wide age range in the Marshall MBA class IMO, and I would think your personal situation will heavily factor into the experience. From what I've heard there's a Marshall student social organization that hosts social events with the other grad schools (Keck in particular), and if you're into sports, wait until you see Gameday on campus. Now that 'SC is down, it's not quite the same (I finished undergrad in 2008), but it's still a spectacle, and a lot of fun - and also a a topic of conversation with future employers. I wouldn't be too concerned about the lack of a physical community, I think you'll still definitely find that there is a strong sense of community. I don't think the housing in downtown is actually that expensive if you are able to find a roommate - at the Orsini you can find two BDR's for under $2k, and it is a gorgeous building. One of the great things about LA is its diversity, and housing is no exception.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 5

Re: Calling All Fall 2011 USC Marshall Applicants! [#permalink] New post 23 Nov 2010, 13:16
VinceCPA wrote:
Chesterfield wrote:
I'm in for Round 1.

No, Marshall interviews 100% of the admitted applicants. In other words, if you aren't interviewed you won't be admitted. Still, according to their Business Week profile, they interviewed 60% of the applicants last year.

Thanks thats good to know!
Intern
Intern
Schools: USC, UCSD, UCI, Olin, HBS

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 2

Re: Calling All Fall 2011 USC Marshall Applicants! [#permalink] New post 23 Nov 2010, 13:49
VinceCPA wrote:
Chesterfield wrote:
I'm in for Round 1.

I visited Marshall earlier this year, and I think I remember a member of the admissions staff telling us that a small number of people are admitted each year that are not interviewed, and that you won't know if you are one of this group until the final decision date.
Manager
Manager

Re: Calling All Fall 2011 USC Marshall Applicants! [#permalink] New post 23 Nov 2010, 13:55
mikekennyb wrote:
VinceCPA wrote:
Chesterfield wrote:
I'm in for Round 1.

I visited Marshall earlier this year, and I think I remember a member of the admissions staff telling us that a small number of people are admitted each year that are not interviewed, and that you won't know if you are one of this group until the final decision date.

Well if that's the case then the admissions officer I talked with, their own website, as well as Business Week were wrong. Still, who knows? Either way, the best chance is with an interview. Also, I can only speak about what was published regarding last year's admissions as it's entirely possible that some few made it in from prior years.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling All Fall 2011 USC Marshall Applicants! [#permalink] New post 23 Nov 2010, 23:27
just got an interview request! excited! apparently they're visiting my city for the QS world MBA tour on Monday and decided to have a member of the adocm interview me. I reckon I might be an exception and that the school is still sticking to the Dec. 1 date for handing out interviews!

Profile: 25/M/680/3.45 engg from top public uni/3 years WE @ top 4 strategy consulting and fam manufacturing biz in mumbai. and im a reapplicant.
Intern
Intern
Schools: USC, UT-Austin, Babson
WE 1: Entrepreneur

Re: Calling All Fall 2011 USC Marshall Applicants! [#permalink] New post 23 Nov 2010, 23:43
Congrats ! I think you are the first on these forums who has an interview call. I will be there in Mumbai on that day...well interviewing for another school. :lol: I too am a reapplicant but nothing from USC yet..
Manager
Manager

Re: Calling All Fall 2011 USC Marshall Applicants! [#permalink] New post 23 Nov 2010, 23:47
nrmehta2 wrote:
just got an interview request! excited! apparently they're visiting my city for the QS world MBA tour on Monday and decided to have a member of the adocm interview me. I reckon I might be an exception and that the school is still sticking to the Dec. 1 date for handing out interviews!

Profile: 25/M/680/3.45 engg from top public uni/3 years WE @ top 4 strategy consulting and fam manufacturing biz in mumbai. and im a reapplicant.

Congrats. I know there is another person that also was invited to interview as they are going to be visiting the USC campus around the time that the invites will be going out. I guess the admissions is really into taking advantage of timing when possible.
USC 2011 Thread Master
Schools: USC Marshall $$, BU $$, UCLA
WE 1: 5 years
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 3

Re: Calling All Fall 2011 USC Marshall Applicants! [#permalink] New post 24 Nov 2010, 10:07
Congrats nrmehta2! Good luck for your interview.
Current Student
Schools: USC Marshall School of Business
WE 1: Software Consulting
WE 2: Government / Healthcare
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 53 [0], given: 26

Re: Calling All Fall 2011 USC Marshall Applicants! [#permalink] New post 27 Nov 2010, 17:28
Hey all.

Just got back from tailgate at USC. It was a heck of a lot of fun. If anything I'd go to Marshall for the school spirit.

Something about Kudos or other... if you like then upvote away.

Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools: UNC (Kenan-Flagler) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
WE: Programming (Computer Software)
Followers: 22

Kudos [?]: 202 [0], given: 52

Reviews Badge
Re: Calling All Fall 2011 USC Marshall Applicants! [#permalink] New post 29 Nov 2010, 07:50
i guess marshall invites has started earlier than posted (dec 1st?). well hope we all get one :)

If you like my answers please +1 kudos!

Current Student

Reviews Badge
Re: Calling All Fall 2011 USC Marshall Applicants! [#permalink] New post 30 Nov 2010, 20:04
just got usc id... not sure what it means at all... maybe they started looking at my app?

Intern
Intern
Schools: USC, UT-Austin, Babson
WE 1: Entrepreneur

Re: Calling All Fall 2011 USC Marshall Applicants! [#permalink] New post 30 Nov 2010, 21:06
Same here! Just got an USC id.
Manager
Manager

Re: Calling All Fall 2011 USC Marshall Applicants! [#permalink] New post 30 Nov 2010, 23:02
s1ngular1ty wrote:
Same here! Just got an USC id.

The admissions office had a problem with sending those weeks ago, at least according to them when I called. I wouldn't be surprised if they were just finally getting around to sending out the official emails in prep for the invites tomorrow.
Current Student

Reviews Badge
Re: Calling All Fall 2011 USC Marshall Applicants! [#permalink] New post 01 Dec 2010, 06:36
invites as in 1st or 2nd?

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 23 [1] , given: 0

Re: Calling All Fall 2011 USC Marshall Applicants! [#permalink] New post 01 Dec 2010, 09:43
This post received
KUDOS
shaselai wrote:
invites as in 1st or 2nd?

As in today, the 1st. Their website lists today as the decision date for interviews and I know their admissions told me the same when I called them.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 202 [1] , given: 52

Reviews Badge
Re: Calling All Fall 2011 USC Marshall Applicants! [#permalink] New post 01 Dec 2010, 10:09
This post received
KUDOS
yeah called them up and the staff said they havent started as of now (1:12pm est so 10:12am pst?) . She did say the majority should be trickled out today by 5pm pst BUT there could be some more tomorrow as well. So basically if you don't hear anything today or tomorrow it is most likely a ding. Good luck peeps(and myself!)!

Manager
Manager

Re: Calling All Fall 2011 USC Marshall Applicants! [#permalink] New post 01 Dec 2010, 10:22
shaselai wrote:
yeah called them up and the staff said they havent started as of now (1:12pm est so 10:12am pst?) . She did say the majority should be trickled out today by 5pm pst BUT there could be some more tomorrow as well. So basically if you don't hear anything today or tomorrow it is most likely a ding. Good luck peeps(and myself!)!

I'd be willing to bet that you'll get an invite. Good luck.
USC 2011 Thread Master
Schools: USC Marshall $$, BU $$, UCLA
WE 1: 5 years
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 3

Re: Calling All Fall 2011 USC Marshall Applicants! [#permalink] New post 01 Dec 2010, 11:38
Wow I really hope to see a lot of action on this thread this evening. Good luck everyone!

Cant help checking my online application status and my email since afternoon!
Re: Calling All Fall 2011 USC Marshall Applicants!   [#permalink] 01 Dec 2010, 11:38