Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Aug 2014, 16:22

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling All Fall 2011 USC Marshall Applicants!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Concentration: Marketing, Other
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GMAT 2: 660 Q V
GPA: 3.64
WE: Accounting (Accounting)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 62 [0], given: 76380

Re: Calling All Fall 2011 USC Marshall Applicants! [#permalink] New post 11 Jan 2011, 10:18
Count me in for R2. I didn't know Marshall requires TOEFL. Driving 6 hours to san luis on 21st for an early morning appointment. I hope they get my score before its too late.
Manager
Manager
Schools: Sloan(WL), Johnson(Int-Waiting)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 3

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Calling All Fall 2011 USC Marshall Applicants! [#permalink] New post 11 Jan 2011, 10:18
Does anyone know the specific letter of recommendation questions?
Manager
Manager
Schools: USC, UCLA

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: Calling All Fall 2011 USC Marshall Applicants! [#permalink] New post 11 Jan 2011, 11:31
ankur17 wrote:
Count me in for R2. I didn't know Marshall requires TOEFL. Driving 6 hours to san luis on 21st for an early morning appointment. I hope they get my score before its too late.

Tell me about it! I am an alumni and have submitted TOEFL score to them once. Have to do it again! Driving from LA to Bakersfield to take the test this Saturday :(
Manager
Manager
Schools: Anderson (In-Declined), GSB (Ding), Haas (In!- matriculating), Marshall (In w/ $$$ - Declined)
WE 1: 2 yr Management consulting
WE 2: 2 yr Product Management - tech

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 2

Re: Calling All Fall 2011 USC Marshall Applicants! [#permalink] New post 11 Jan 2011, 11:34
socalscool wrote:
ankur17 wrote:

Tell me about it! I am an alumni and have submitted TOEFL score to them once. Have to do it again! Driving from LA to Bakersfield to take the test this Saturday :(

Just so I'm clear TOEFL is only for international students from non-English speaking countries correct?
Current Student
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 2

Re: Calling All Fall 2011 USC Marshall Applicants! [#permalink] New post 11 Jan 2011, 11:49
socalscool wrote:
ankur17 wrote:

That does not sound right.
From their website: "All international applicants who did not earn a bachelor’s degree from a university in the United States, Canada, United Kingdom, Ireland, Australia or New Zealand must submit scores from the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or the Pearson Test of English (PTE) Academic. We do not accept scores from the International English Language Testing System( IELTS) exam."
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 2

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Calling All Fall 2011 USC Marshall Applicants! [#permalink] New post 11 Jan 2011, 15:40
For essay #2, I wanted to talk about clubs and networking with companies etc. However, I thought again about the question, and I believe they are looking for me to explain how my various internship or work experiences will enhance the MBA community.
Do you guys think I concluded it right here? I did not submit my application yet.
Concentration: Marketing, Other
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GMAT 2: 660 Q V
GPA: 3.64
WE: Accounting (Accounting)

Kudos [?]: 62 [0], given: 76380

Re: Calling All Fall 2011 USC Marshall Applicants! [#permalink] New post 11 Jan 2011, 15:55
socalscool wrote:
ankur17 wrote:

just saw an available date in LA on 15th. Changed my appointment .. 60$ more .. I'm happy don't have to drive 6 hours
Manager
Manager

Re: Calling All Fall 2011 USC Marshall Applicants! [#permalink] New post 12 Jan 2011, 01:28
SuitUp wrote:
socalscool wrote:
ankur17 wrote:

That does not sound right.
From their website: "All international applicants who did not earn a bachelor’s degree from a university in the United States, Canada, United Kingdom, Ireland, Australia or New Zealand must submit scores from the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or the Pearson Test of English (PTE) Academic. We do not accept scores from the International English Language Testing System( IELTS) exam."

I did my Masters from there
Manager
Manager

Re: Calling All Fall 2011 USC Marshall Applicants! [#permalink] New post 12 Jan 2011, 01:42
ankur17 wrote:
socalscool wrote:
ankur17 wrote:

just saw an available date in LA on 15th. Changed my appointment .. 60$ more .. I'm happy don't have to drive 6 hours

Awesome! 60 bucks is totally worth it. I see that there is still jan 21 available to LA. do u think its ok if i take the test then or will it be too late and i should just suck it up and drive to Bakersfield.
Current Student
Schools: USC Marshall School of Business
WE 1: Software Consulting
WE 2: Government / Healthcare
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 53 [0], given: 26

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling All Fall 2011 USC Marshall Applicants! [#permalink] New post 12 Jan 2011, 06:04
efet wrote:
For essay #2, I wanted to talk about clubs and networking with companies etc. However, I thought again about the question, and I believe they are looking for me to explain how my various internship or work experiences will enhance the MBA community.
Do you guys think I concluded it right here? I did not submit my application yet.

I'm toying around with the same issue. I think Clear Admit's guide puts it the best..

Clear Admit wrote:
Essay 2: How will other USC Marshall MBA students benefit from your background, experience, leadership and teamwork skills? (500 words)
Although many applicants end their career goals essay discussing the contributions they would make to a school’s program, USC Marshall’s new second essay question specifically asks candidates to address the ways in which they can give back to the school. This prompt is fairly broad, but applicants should remember to select unique information about their backgrounds, experiences, leadership and teamwork skills to help them stand out to the adcom. Rather than simply addressing how they will contribute to courses, applicants should think of other avenues through which their skills and past experiences would allow them to benefit their fellow students at USC Marshall, i.e. clubs, programs. In such a short essay, it’s probably best to focus your discussion to two or three topics. The emphasis on leadership and teamwork indicates that candidates focus their essay on benefitting other students through collaboration and effective leadership.

My essay touches on the class/curriculum and networking a bit and for the rest of it I'm trying to focus in on clubs and other stuff that I would do in at USC (host massive tailgate parties).

Something about Kudos or other... if you like then upvote away.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 1

Re: Calling All Fall 2011 USC Marshall Applicants! [#permalink] New post 13 Jan 2011, 22:07
sharksr1 wrote:
Does anyone know the specific letter of recommendation questions?

My recommender told me there were a couple short answer boxes and then a general recommendation to upload.

I don't know the short answer questions though.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

Re: Calling All Fall 2011 USC Marshall Applicants! [#permalink] New post 14 Jan 2011, 00:22
brendo wrote:
Round 2 here.... USC Alum as well

Any other USC alums on here? How are we faring after round 1?

i am alum as well, from marshall no less..will be submitting for r2. i am really excited about the fee waiver for alum..
Current Student

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling All Fall 2011 USC Marshall Applicants! [#permalink] New post 14 Jan 2011, 06:14
Submitted R2. That's all folks!!

Intern
Intern

Re: Calling All Fall 2011 USC Marshall Applicants! [#permalink] New post 14 Jan 2011, 10:22
where in the app have people described their extracurriculars? it doesn't appear that there's a specific section for them, unlike the others i have submitted..am i just missing something?

also - what documents go in "additional documents" aside from official transcript?
Manager
Manager
Schools: Anderson (In-Declined), GSB (Ding), Haas (In!- matriculating), Marshall (In w/ $$$ - Declined)

Re: Calling All Fall 2011 USC Marshall Applicants! [#permalink] New post 14 Jan 2011, 10:25
aelsc wrote:
where in the app have people described their extracurriculars? it doesn't appear that there's a specific section for them, unlike the others i have submitted..am i just missing something?

also - what documents go in "additional documents" aside from official transcript?

I'm with you...I didn't see a place for extracurriculars. I might add it to additional documents. As for the transcripts, i put it under the schools, NOT in the additional documents. WHy did you put it there?
Current Student

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling All Fall 2011 USC Marshall Applicants! [#permalink] New post 14 Jan 2011, 10:25
aelsc wrote:

I included extra-curriculars in my resume, I didn't really do a separate list. My transcript went into the Education section underneath where I enter data for schools.

Intern
Intern

Re: Calling All Fall 2011 USC Marshall Applicants! [#permalink] New post 14 Jan 2011, 10:37
kelea wrote:
I'm with you...I didn't see a place for extracurriculars. I might add it to additional documents. As for the transcripts, i put it under the schools, NOT in the additional documents. WHy did you put it there?

My extracurriculars post-college have been pretty much zero due to my job, so I guess I will add to my resume, otherwise an extracurricular page on its own may look pretty sad.

I guess I should put the transcript in the academic info section, I wasn't sure since there's a note on transcripts in the additional info section. I uploaded an electronic official copy of my transcript, but I wonder if I will need to submit a hard copy - I graduated from Marshall in 08, so I would think that would be enough, but who knows.
Current Student

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling All Fall 2011 USC Marshall Applicants! [#permalink] New post 14 Jan 2011, 10:44
I put in a request for my transcripts to be sent along just in case since they say something about needing official transcripts to process the application. I think it mentions that in the instructions somewhere, not totally sure though.

Manager
Manager

Re: Calling All Fall 2011 USC Marshall Applicants! [#permalink] New post 14 Jan 2011, 11:05
CyberC1 wrote:
aelsc wrote:

I included extra-curriculars in my resume, I didn't really do a separate list. My transcript went into the Education section underneath where I enter data for schools.

Hmm, I mentioned my two main extracirriculars in my essays. Each have a paragraph. Do you think that's enough?
Intern
Intern
Schools: UVA Darden (in!!!), UNC Kenan Flagler (in), UCLA (int), USC (int), McCombs (app withdrawn), Kelley (in with $$)
WE 1: Engineering

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Re: Calling All Fall 2011 USC Marshall Applicants! [#permalink] New post 14 Jan 2011, 17:30
hey I'm new here, I've applied to USC as well. I am applying to their MBA/MRED dual degree program. I am in for Round 2. I was wondering if anyone here sent in their transcript before the deadline. Apparently the USC ID is required on the form. However it will not arrive until 7 days from now??? Do they accept late transcripts?
Re: Calling All Fall 2011 USC Marshall Applicants!   [#permalink] 14 Jan 2011, 17:30