Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Oct 2014, 15:09

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling All Fall 2011 USC Marshall Applicants!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
2 KUDOS received
USC 2011 Thread Master
Schools: USC Marshall $$, BU $$, UCLA
WE 1: 5 years
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 9 [2] , given: 3

Calling All Fall 2011 USC Marshall Applicants! [#permalink] New post 11 Sep 2010, 21:56
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED

GENERAL APPLICATION INFORMATION:

1. Essay Questions:

Essay Questions:
      1) What are your short-term and long-term post-MBA goals? How will USC Marshall help you
      achieve these goals? (750 words) If interested in a dual-degree program, please address in this
      essay.
      2) How will other USC Marshall MBA students benefit from your background, experience,
      leadership and teamwork skills? (500 words)
      3) Select three from the following and describe: (250 words each)
        a) A challenging international experience
        b) A personal or professional setback
        c) An entrepreneur you admire
        d) Your family, including any ties to USC
        e) Your most significant accomplishment
        f) A situation where your professional ethics were challenged
      4) Optional Essay: Please add any additional information that you would like the Admissions
      Committee to consider in evaluating your application. (250 words)

Re-Applicants:
    If you applied within the past two years, please answer the following:
      1) What steps have you taken to strengthen your application since your last submission? Also,
      2) Select two from the following and describe: (250 words each)
        a) A challenging international experience
        b) A personal or professional setback
        c) An entrepreneur you admire
        d) Your family, including any ties to USC
        e) Your most significant accomplishment
        f) A situation where your professional ethics were challenged

2. Application Deadlines:

USC Marshall Full time MBA

USC Marshall MBA.PM
    Deadline* -- Notification Date
    December 1, 2010 -- February 28, 2011
    February 1, 2011 -- April 30, 2011
    April 1, 2011 -- May 31, 2011
    May 1, 2011 -- June 30, 2011
    *Applications must be submitted by 11:59 p.m. PST on this day.

3. Letters of Recommendation:

Letters of recommendation are used as a gauge of your professional achievements and managerial potential. It is preferred that one of your two recommendations be provided by a direct supervisor. Letters of recommendation must be submitted online.

APPLICANT LIST:

Round 1:
    MBA - Full Time
    bruinboi
    Ludacrispat26
    BeautifulMind2011 - Int invite 12/1, Accepted 2/1
    adi1031
    analyst218 - WL 2/1
    NewSc2
    VinceCPA
    shaselai - INt
    mikekennyb - Int invite 12/1,Accepted 2/1
    socalscool
    toeytap - Int invite 12/1,Accepted 2/1
    adee009
    nrmehta2 - Int Invite 11/24,Accepted 2/1
    Chesterfield
    expatcominghome
    greennamek - Int Inv 12/1,Accepted 2/1
    mhla82 - Int Invite 12/1,Accepted 2/1
    nonawiz - Int Invite 12/1,Accepted 2/1
    diego77 - Int Invite 12/1,Accepted 2/1
    SuitUp - Int Invite 12/1,Accepted 2/1
    raginkajun - Int,Accepted 2/1
    Rob608 - Int
    tina6319 - WL 2/1
    s1ngular1ty - WL 2/1
    sinhag - WL 2/1
    dmilad - WL 2/1
    sanebr - Accepted

Round 2:

jj22l - Int 2/7 , accepetd 3/21
    CyberC1 - Int 2/7 accepted 3/21
    TheBruinTutor Int 2/8
    alexbond3 Int 2/7 - accepted 3/28
    NewSc2 Int 2/8 accepted 4/1
    doclkk - Int 2/8 accepted 4/1
    sweatytofu
    marketingchick accepted 3/21
    socalscool Int 2/24 accepted 3/28
    Bballer84 INT 2/18
    azhangie Int 2/18
    cobrauf - Int 2/18
    lili1986 - Int, WL 3/31
    bkwrm24 - Int 2/23
    Beta - Int - WL 4/1
    sp00ked - Int
    UPGRAYEDD - Int 2/28
    aelsc - accepted 3/21
    sharksr1 - accepted 3/21
    tigerbeck - accepted 3/21
    calisnoopy - Int 2/17, accepted 3/21
    viking - accepted 3/23
    greenhorn - accepted 3/23
    AndersonHopeful - accepted 3/23
    mrwuzzman - accepted 3/23
    njmbaapplicant - accepted 3/28
    kelea - accepted 3/28
    smidgett16 - accepted 3/28
    Alexon50 - accepted 3/28
    TheBrownSlipper - accepted 3/28
    olymbios - accepted 3/28
    StewieGrifin - accepted 3/28
    riddick2011 - accepted 3/28
    ggopan - accepted 4/2
    silverdana - WL
    haasorbust dinged 4/1

Round 3:

Marshall MBA.PM
thisguy310 Accepted
R2
Paradox,
LAMBA WL
yellowboots11 - accepted 4/5

OTHER RESOURCES:

Last edited by BeautifulMind2011 on 12 Apr 2011, 12:35, edited 17 times in total.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: ACFE Member, CalCPA Member
Schools: Duke - Fuqua
WE 1: CPA & CFE with 7 years of experience
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 23 [2] , given: 0

Re: Calling All Fall 2011 USC Marshall Applicants! [#permalink] New post 04 Nov 2010, 22:53
This post received
KUDOS
s1ngular1ty wrote:
Good to see a discussion going on. I am an international applicant from Asia and most of my fellow applicants view Marshall as an expensive school and hence prefer not to apply. Could be one reason why the threads are empty!

Also is anyone in touch with Marshall students? What do they say about the program?

Quote:
Absolutely true. I'll be honest, the housing situation has me a little concerned as well so I guess I'm just not as pumped about Marshall as my other schools.

What housing situation?

Here is a snippet posted on another website by a current Marshall student:

[highlight]I'm currently a first year in the Marshall MBA program and I can say that I had the exact same questions you currently have.

The Trojan network is definitely SC’s most valuable asset and the sense of community is felt from day 1. Everything that you’ve heard regarding the extensive networks that Marshall reaches in to is very true. What sets the networking apart is that the people are willing to go out of their way to help a fellow Trojan.

Regarding the “open-door” policies, the faculty and staff are very accessible. Besides having standard office hours and distributing contact info, many of the professors come before and after classes and talk to students regarding any questions they may have. For example, my group and I approached a professor last week regarding a competition we’re entering and she was more than happy to set aside time for us to pick her brain and get some feedback.

The competition if definitely there and the course work can be challenging, however, everyone in the program is very positive and supportive and helps you get through it.

Han[/highlight]

I hope that helps. Also, as to your question about the housing situation near USC, it can suck. There isn't enough housing on or near campus, due to it being smack dab in the center of Los Angeles. You might live on campus, nearby, or have a commute. Also, because there is limited supply, the cost is higher than some other areas (think New York city prices). If you live on campus, prices might be slightly less, but the space there is limited, both in supply and in square footage. I used to live in SoCal so I know a bit about it already.

Still, if you are from Asia, USC is a very strong school to go to, at least according to my research. It has VERY strong ties in the Asian business market and pushes a program that incorporates Asian businesses.
2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Schools: UCLA, UCI, UCSD, USC
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 8 [2] , given: 1

Re: Calling All Fall 2011 USC Marshall Applicants! [#permalink] New post 19 Apr 2011, 21:17
This post received
KUDOS
Alright, a few folks have asked for a trip report from USC because they were unable to attend the admit weekend. Others asked specific questions I’ll try to address. If you need to know something else, please feel free to PM me.

First off, I need to give a shoutout to the GMATClubbers who showed up. I met CyberC1, socalscool, and several other GMATClubbers who's GMAT names I cannot remember. But there were several of us there, so it was good that there was a nice showing at least. They are free to add imput anywhere they’d like, especially since I had to leave a few hours early on the second day.

I guess it was really fun and loose to say the least. There were plenty of ‘beverages’ to drink, lots of fun games to get to know people, little trivia games, and numerous meet-and-greets with other students. The first-years in charge of the event were hystarical in my humble opinion, and alone made the trip worth while.

The prosepctive class seemed really smart to me compared to other compareable schools in the 15-30 range. We had a “where are you from” intro thing, and the vast majority of the students came from UCLA, Cal, and USC for undergrad. I met one or two Stanford undergrad students, a couple of prospective people from the East Coast, and others from UC Irvine, UCSB, and some small private colleges. A good mix of students. There weren’t any international students, or at least none that I met, but that’s to be expected given that this is only a 2-day event. The class seemed somewhat young to me, as there were lots of folks who graduated college from ’03-07. Didn’t meet anyone straight from undergrad.

There was a good mix of students who wanted to study marketing, finance, operations, etc. A lot of people aren’t sure of what they want to study, but again, that’s to be expected. My only complaint is that a lot of people were not committed to going to the program, mainly as they were deciding between USC and UCLA. UCLA’s admit was the same day as USC’s, and a lot of people left USC’s early to go to UCLA. I got a feeling a lot of people applied to both schools, and those that got accepted to both honestly didn’t know which they would attend. Throw in the fact that there are budget cuts at UC schools and USC seemed to hand out quite a few fellowships, and you’ve got a tough decision on which school to attend. So while the prospective class seemed really smart, outgoing, and awesome, it’s tough to tell which of them are actually going to end up at USC. If they all end up going to UCLA, then UCLA will have one hell of a great class.

First-years were outgoing, and you can definitely tell they have a lot of school spirit and love USC. They had a club-fair type event where we got to talk to about 30 club representatives, and there was everything from golf, to biotech, to consulting. Apparently you can also take advantage of undergraduate clubs as well, so I guess that’s a benefit of attending the school. Some of them seemed really smart (talked to one person who chose USC over numerous top 5 schools). The main complaint from first-years was that USC was “ranked low” and that such really affected the recruiting for certain industries, mainly managerial consulting. As a disclaimer, I know virtually nothing about consulting. McKinsey apparently only hired in the single digits (I think someone told me 2 people, but can’t remember the number), although it seemed like Deloitte had deep connections there. Outside of consulting, people were interning at NBC, Disney, Cisco, and GE to name a few places. Lots of folks are ex-bankers or ex-consultants looking to change fields. USC advertised that the average starting salary broke the $100k mark, but since I didn’t meet any current 2nd years, I cannot comment on where full-time job offers are being made. The other common complaint was traffic. I’m from the Bay Area so I’m used to it, but apparently it’s a culture shock for some people. Newsflash to all attending Stanford, Cal, UCLA, USC, UCSD, or UC Irvine: There is traffic in California. All-day. Everyday. Quit complaining.

Also had the chance to meet some professors and learn more about PRIME in detail. The professors were really excited to be there (on a Friday afternoon, believe it or not) and they seemed really good. A couple had PhDs from UCLA, and I think a third was from Stanford. Saw a slideshow for the PRIME event, in which you travel to Asia or South America. Everyone was raving about getting to travel, although there seems to be competition to get to go to some of the more popular locations. The companies you work with overseas all appear to be large corporations for the mostpart.

I visited another school last week, and I can tell you that I am going to USC for sure now. There was a lot of enthusiasm at the school, and the prospective class seemed really smart. And although this shouldn’t matter, the fact that Marshall admissions coordinated the event so flawlessly really stood out. They had the band play for us, the dinner and drinks were all good, and there were a lot of first-years there to answer questions and they were very candid about their experiences. The presentations were all done really well, and the community really seems to care about the program. I’ll add more if I get less busy, unfortunately work is killin’ me right now.

Other info people have asked for: I’d say about 100-150 people showed up for the event. Desposits for USC are due May 1st, in the amount of $1500. Most people appear to be living in Koreatown, downtown, or near the beach (if they are willing to drive). We were told there will be some pre-class assessment tests/assessment courses to complete online, but not given a lot of details about them. School (pre-term)starts in July. No that’s not a typo.

"You'd be out of your mind, like, uh, uh, you wouldn't be in your right mind."

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 15 [1] , given: 29

Re: Calling All Fall 2011 USC Marshall Applicants! [#permalink] New post 12 Sep 2010, 00:11
This post received
KUDOS
hmmm.. not too many takers here?

I was looking into the IBEAR program - does anyone have any feedback or suggestions on that? I like it since its a 1 year program and it is for slightly older people (33-36) - where I fall in.

thanks.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools: UNC (Kenan-Flagler) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
WE: Programming (Computer Software)
Followers: 22

Kudos [?]: 202 [1] , given: 52

Reviews Badge
Re: Calling All Fall 2011 USC Marshall Applicants! [#permalink] New post 12 Sep 2010, 09:12
This post received
KUDOS
i am in for round 2

If you like my answers please +1 kudos!

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [1] , given: 0

Re: Calling All Fall 2011 USC Marshall Applicants! [#permalink] New post 13 Sep 2010, 16:26
This post received
KUDOS
In for round 1
1 KUDOS received
Current Student

Reviews Badge
Re: Calling All Fall 2011 USC Marshall Applicants! [#permalink] New post 13 Sep 2010, 17:25
This post received
KUDOS
any marshall alums i can talk to?

1 KUDOS received
USC 2011 Thread Master

Kudos [?]: 9 [1] , given: 3

Re: Calling All Fall 2011 USC Marshall Applicants! [#permalink] New post 18 Sep 2010, 20:32
This post received
KUDOS
Count me in for Round 1... international applicant

I am working on getting my TOEFL done soon so that i can send the scores.
1 KUDOS received
USC 2011 Thread Master

Re: Calling All Fall 2011 USC Marshall Applicants! [#permalink] New post 30 Sep 2010, 15:58
This post received
KUDOS
BB: I would love to do it!
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 7 [1] , given: 25

Re: Calling All Fall 2011 USC Marshall Applicants! [#permalink] New post 05 Nov 2010, 06:59
This post received
KUDOS
I went to USC for a (not business) graduate degree. My guess is that there will be some internationals who take advantage of USC graduate housing (which is either on or very near campus), but the vast majority of students will not. Some will make the mistake of living around USC, but it's expensive for what it is, and it is not nice at all. It's definitely not the safest area. You're unlikely to get shot or anything, but you'll never feel safe walking home at night or anything.

Many people will live Downtown, which is a super quick drive unless it's afternoon rush hour. For some reason, morning rush hour is no problem to get to USC from downtown, but afternoon going from USC to Downtown is a bit slower. Downtown has some nice, fancy places, but they're usually very expensive. Many of the areas have not fully developed so if you like to walk to places to eat, etc. you'll need to check the area carefully.

You'll find a lot of people living west hollywood, century city and westward to the beaches. These vary a lot in terms of price and comfort.

Some people will likely live in the valley and pasadena. These probably win in terms of how nice your apartment will be for how much money you're spending, but you'll likely be away and isolated from most of your classmates. Depending on the time of day, your drive to school probably won't be any longer than those on the westside, though.

Public transportation is not very easy, depending on where you live, actually. That may change in your time there as they're building a new train line that stops right next to the business school, but I suspect it won't be done yet. The only people I knew who used public transportation did so because they didn't have cars and couldn't get a ride from someone else that day.

By the way, I highly recommend using Westside rentals to find an apartment. It costs a little bit, but it is completely and totally worth it. You'll find better apartments than craigslist because landlords like to rent to westside rentals people. The service makes it way easier to find apartments in a very specific location with specific amenities, and the listings are huge.

I hope this helps!

Last edited by ProfessionalKazooist on 05 Nov 2010, 07:07, edited 2 times in total.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 23 [1] , given: 0

Re: Calling All Fall 2011 USC Marshall Applicants! [#permalink] New post 22 Nov 2010, 13:28
This post received
KUDOS
HeadedWest wrote:
Applying part time R2 and looking forward to putting the application process behind me and hopefully getting out of NYC come the end of Summer 2011.

I like how three of your four schools of choice are out here in California.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 23 [1] , given: 0

Re: Calling All Fall 2011 USC Marshall Applicants! [#permalink] New post 01 Dec 2010, 09:43
This post received
KUDOS
shaselai wrote:
invites as in 1st or 2nd?

As in today, the 1st. Their website lists today as the decision date for interviews and I know their admissions told me the same when I called them.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student

Reviews Badge
Re: Calling All Fall 2011 USC Marshall Applicants! [#permalink] New post 01 Dec 2010, 10:09
This post received
KUDOS
yeah called them up and the staff said they havent started as of now (1:12pm est so 10:12am pst?) . She did say the majority should be trickled out today by 5pm pst BUT there could be some more tomorrow as well. So basically if you don't hear anything today or tomorrow it is most likely a ding. Good luck peeps(and myself!)!

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Schools: UCLA, USC, NYU
WE 1: 5 Years, Entertainment and Technology

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 1

Re: Calling All Fall 2011 USC Marshall Applicants! [#permalink] New post 01 Dec 2010, 16:04
This post received
KUDOS
There was no change in my applicant status on the site, but it looks like the emails are going out one by one - not through an automated system. I wouldn't sweat it for a couple of days.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student

Reviews Badge
Re: Calling All Fall 2011 USC Marshall Applicants! [#permalink] New post 01 Dec 2010, 16:49
This post received
KUDOS
called them up... she said they still giving them up but pretty much today is it unless they forgot a couple for tomorrow....

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: UCI R1- admit w/ $$$, Cornell R3, McCombs R2- admitted, Kelley R3 - admitted, USC R1-waitlist

Kudos [?]: 5 [1] , given: 0

Re: Calling All Fall 2011 USC Marshall Applicants! [#permalink] New post 02 Dec 2010, 14:05
This post received
KUDOS
xxxxx:

The majority of invites have been extended, but we are still in the process of reviewing applications, so more could be released.

Thank you for your interest in USC Marshall.

that's what they replied in email.
1 KUDOS received
USC 2011 Thread Master

Re: Calling All Fall 2011 USC Marshall Applicants! [#permalink] New post 12 Jan 2011, 12:44
This post received
KUDOS
I had my interview yesterday ... I must say it was most casual than what I have had before for other schools... The admissions lady didnot have any idea about my application so I assume it was a blind interview.. I gave my resume and she started with teh usual question -

Tell me about yourself - which I took was more on personal details.
Then I just guided my answer to career path. She had some questions specific to my work.
Then why MBA
Why marshall
What will you bring to Marshall
most intertesting question - What is one thing that someone would mistake about you when they meet you first.
The best advice your mentor has ever given you.
Something in your career that you could back and change ( a situation)

any questions for adcom.

The most surprising thing to me was that teh adcom did not take any notes so I am not sure how she was going to remember all that I spoke in half an hour :)

Overall a relaxed conversational and interesting interview.

All teh best to everyone else!!
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 36 [1] , given: 2

Re: Calling All Fall 2011 USC Marshall Applicants! [#permalink] New post 02 Feb 2011, 16:51
This post received
KUDOS
dinged. i don't really care ha.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [1] , given: 0

Re: Calling All Fall 2011 USC Marshall Applicants! [#permalink] New post 04 Feb 2011, 16:02
This post received
KUDOS
SuitUp,

I think it is going to be a tough choice between UCLA (No $$) and USC (full ride), but it is a good problem to have in my opinion. This is how I would break it down.

UCLA scores over USC if you are looking for a post-MBA job and subsequent career outside Southern California/Greater LA region. Generally speaking, an MBA from UCLA has more prestige than USC's, period. On the contrary, USC's alumni network is as good as UCLA's when it comes to job prospects in LA area, if not better. In terms of culture, facilities, and other short-term parameters, there is not much difference based on my research. Also know that these things are subjective, but one's career goals are not and they always demand long-term perspective.

This is how it boils down, again, this is just my two cents. Scenario 1: If you are envisioning a career in LA and are eventually going to settle down in Southern California, I would close my eyes and go for USC, as 100K is 100K, no matter how you cut it. Scenario 2: If you are planning to settling down somewhere else in US, you need to buckle down and brainstorm what is more important to YOU.. a) dealing with $100K or b) better career opportunities, better recognition/pedigree of UCLA over USC outside the realm of Southern California.

Hope this helps. By the way, I have been waitlisted at UCLA and admitted to USC, so I tried my best to be as unbiased as possible, but I hope honest feedback always comes around.

Long story short, talk to as many people as you can and leave no stone unturned if you are stuck with Scenario 2.

Good luck.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: USC Marshall School of Business
WE 1: Software Consulting
WE 2: Government / Healthcare
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 53 [1] , given: 26

Re: Calling All Fall 2011 USC Marshall Applicants! [#permalink] New post 15 Feb 2011, 19:18
This post received
KUDOS
Beta wrote:
CyberC1 wrote:
Got the details of my interviewed scheduled... heading out there early march.

When did you get your interview invite?

Around February 7 (page 15)

Something about Kudos or other... if you like then upvote away.

Re: Calling All Fall 2011 USC Marshall Applicants!   [#permalink] 15 Feb 2011, 19:18