Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 10:46

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling All Fall 2011 Yale SOM Applicants

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: Tuck 2013
WE 1: Big 4
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 20 [1] , given: 67

Re: Calling All Fall 2011 Yale SOM Applicants [#permalink] New post 14 Jan 2011, 14:08
This post received
KUDOS
nink wrote:
btk wrote:
I can't believe my time has come - interview invite just in by email! Yale is my top school, sooo happy!

Congrats! :-D

ThomasD wrote:
Do you have any interview tricks and tips or any must know information for the interviews? They are only 30 mins, so I imagine they can not cover that much ground. I am just wondering though if Yale may focus on aspects other schools don't emphasize etc.

I am gonna repost what I said in a PM to another applicant:
Receiving an invite certainly reflects well on your qualification. Regardless of where you end up matriculating, you should be proud of your past and current accomplishments.

My advice is to relax, and just be yourself. Don't try to be someone that you are not in front of the interviewer. Make sure you know about your goals, reasons for applying to bschool, and what you plan on achieving in the short run as well as in the long run. YSOM (or any other bschool) should be looked at as a partnership that may result a win-win situation for both parties.

Also, try to avoid using industry lingo and acronyms during the interview. Try to find a way to distinguish yourself from the rest of the pack. Don't spend too much time on what you've accomplished. (what's already written on your resume, etc - point of the interview is: 10 to discover intangibles that they can't see from the paper, 2) to see if you have good communication/people skills, etc) Try to sell them on your future and qualification. Be result oriented when answering questions and take ownership of any weaknesses rather than making excuses (if any).

Be ready to explain clearly 1) how you got to where you are, 2) why you're an outstanding candidate, and 3) where you plan on taking your MBA degree and what you plan on doing.

So, just believe in yourself and you have to convince yourself that you belong with the other awesome candidates. Confidence goes a long way to get you to where you want to go.

Come up with a game plan for the interview:
1) Review your resume again and be ready to give them a story that pieces together all the accomplishments mentioned on your resume.
2) Explain how you got to where you are (again, it helps if you are a great storyteller), and why you decided to pursue MBA degree, and what you plan on doing with it
3) Research YSOM and insert it into the equation. You + YSOM = Future Goal. Demonstrate what you know about the school, and explain how you think YSOM can help you get to where you want to go and at the same time, how you can be an asset to your fellow students while you are there. (also, how you can be an asset to the school and the network in the long run. You have to show them that you have a potential)
4) Prepare a strong pitch to finish the interview. The finishing pitch should be memorable and it should be designed to make an impact on the interviewer. (Also, once you come up with a killer finishing pitch, it comes in quite handy during recruiting season.....trust me)

Good luck!

An R2 interview invitee asked me for my experiences/advice, and I can't really improve much more on the advice above from nink. For me, I had visited before, so by the time I had my interview I had seen three different classes. I could point to things I liked/saw and had a better feel for the student body, which ultimately made me feel more comfortable.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Schools: Darden (In) Kenan-Flagler (In), Stern (In-$), Yale (Ding w/int), McDonough (In)
WE 1: IT Management Consulting
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [1] , given: 0

Re: Calling All Fall 2011 Yale SOM Applicants [#permalink] New post 18 Jan 2011, 08:48
This post received
KUDOS
Agreed. I am definitely going with the suit. The interview is the most important part of the day and a little awkwardness at the lunch table is worth looking professional for the 30 minutes that really count.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: Yale SOM Class of 2013

Kudos [?]: 29 [1] , given: 13

Re: Calling All Fall 2011 Yale SOM Applicants [#permalink] New post 18 Jan 2011, 08:48
This post received
KUDOS
TheBot wrote:
Suit up!

Yep, no question. If students are interviewing and/or attending corporate presentations they will be suited as well, so no weirdness there.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

1 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP
Schools: Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
WE 1: IB - Restructuring & Distressed M&A
Followers: 73

Kudos [?]: 688 [1] , given: 548

Reviews Badge
Re: Calling All Fall 2011 Yale SOM Applicants [#permalink] New post 18 Jan 2011, 08:50
This post received
KUDOS
carriedinterest wrote:
For those interviewing in the coming weeks, what are you planning to wear? Normally, a suit would would be a no-brainer - but the fact that there is a day of activities around the interview (including class visit and lunch with current students) might make the suit an awkward choice. Thoughts?

Most people wear a suit. Just stay away from 3 piece suit if you are a guy. Also, carry a breath mint, and wear a deodorant.

1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 13 [1] , given: 1

Re: Calling All Fall 2011 Yale SOM Applicants [#permalink] New post 20 Jan 2011, 18:52
This post received
KUDOS
wp06 wrote:
It seems a little extreme they are concerned with a 3.1 from a difficult major, I know I only have a 3.3 but I went to West Point where you have to take Physics, Engineering Science, Discrete Dynamical Systems, Statistics, Computer Science etc and grading is pretty hard, on top of that we constantly have to do duties and military training, if they hold a 3.3 against me I'd be pissed, but owell...
I am not ADCOM, I am nobody but a 780 and a 3.14 in Actuarial Science seems pretty damn good, all my friends at Princeton and Penn etc all walk away with 3.8s without worrying much but owell

So I had a 3.1 in Actuarial Science too with a GMAT of only 720 and got in here. GPA was the biggest concern in my app and I tried explaining it in my optional essay (self-financed college education so worked a lot while in school, graduated early blah blah). I also took a class at Booth and got an A in it which i turned in with my app in the education section. At my interview i made sure to emphasize how much i worked through school in addition to all my extracurriculars (two - three great ones). Basically the interviewer was left with no doubt that my 3.1 in actuarial science was as good as a 3.6 due to all the other extra things i did.

While this got me into Yale and a couple of other places - I did call a couple of the schools that I did not get into to get feedback over summer as i was curious and basically after hemming and hawing, once they knew i wasnt reapplying as i was going to Yale - they said - "sorry to be blunt but for a male applicant overcomming a 3.1 ug GPA is very very hard and we dont think you did enough in this app. yale is an awesome school and maybe you did a better job then but it was just such a tough year blah blah"

Their take was pretty much that you needed to do something absolutely mind-blowing at work and being very good or strong in all other aspects was simply not good enough given the competition. There were a ton of males with consulting backgrounds who applied. most were promoted early. they all also got 3.8's in UG and had great extracurriculars.. so why you? Dont want to discourage you but in addition to taking the class, you should probably come up with a bit of a story on why the GPA was 3.1. Also make sure whatever class you take is atleast somewhat quantitative and beyond a typical undergrad class. (You may have explained this in the past but i havent read all 50 pgs of this thread today so i dont remember).

This sucks but for schools fighting to get higher in the rankings i think GMAT and GPA are very important. They probably would never admit it, but those are probably the easiest parts of the ranking methodology for them to control and thus when schools are trying to move-up the ranking its something they are very sensitive to.

Quite frankly, i dont think your undergrad grades matter one iota once you are in as Yale pretty much has no grades and you probably have to work harder to fail than to get a distinction. Having spoken to frnds at other schools, this is pretty much true across the board. Getting in is the hardest part, followed by finding a job.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: Tuck 2013
WE 1: Big 4

Kudos [?]: 20 [1] , given: 67

Re: Calling All Fall 2011 Yale SOM Applicants [#permalink] New post 22 Jan 2011, 08:02
This post received
KUDOS
brainhurt wrote:
Thanks for the feedback all! Ya I was hoping that my GMAT and the quantitative nature of my experience would offset my GPA, but I guess not. I'm looking at the online self-study courses at UCLA Extension: https://www.uclaextension.edu/bam/finan ... Study.aspx

Do you think these are appropriate? They're pretty short, but this seems like the only way to get into a course, complete it, and then send the grade to Yale in time for a decision. With working full-time and applying to other schools this is gonna be tough to fit in, but I'll happily do it if it appreciably improves my chances of admission...

Just read the comments by mattdrummer and had some additional thoughts on how you might be able to present the 3.1 while strengthening your case. If you are sending in an update on your candidacy with some new leadership example, you can tie that to the reflection you have done on your undergrad experience. For my optional essay I included educational lessons I learned when in school that aren’t reflected in my GPA but are displayed in my other leadership experiences since school. Even if you have a good reason or not for the lower GPA (can't believe 3.1 counts as low btw, esp with that GMAT), I would explain the lessons you learned from earning it, and then tie those lessons to being a vital part of the leader you are today. The 780 shows you have the smarts to do the work, and the ability to learn lessons from failures or missed opportunities means you are going to make the most of SOM and beyond. My fingers are crossed for you.
Not as much as mattdummer, so just my $.01.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: Cornell (accepted)
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 25 [1] , given: 4

Re: Calling All Fall 2011 Yale SOM Applicants [#permalink] New post 26 Jan 2011, 11:08
This post received
KUDOS
the politically correct answer is no.

Find out more about my MBA ADMISSIONS BOOK on how to navigate the b-school application process: http://bit.ly/1a9U7Cl

Blogged my way through the application process, 1st & 2nd year of school at Johnson at Cornell University - Graduated 5/26/2013 - Follow my MBA journey here @ http://www.money9111.blogspot.com | 1 New Post on 10/10
!

1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: Yale SOM Class of 2013
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 22 [1] , given: 0

Re: Calling All Fall 2011 Yale SOM Applicants [#permalink] New post 02 Feb 2011, 10:39
This post received
KUDOS
testprep2010 wrote:
anyone know when admission results will be given. I saw in an interview by Bruce D (on accepted.com) that results will be released 2-3 times evn b4 the actual results date. anyone have any news on that...

Per the interview that you mentioned, it seems that the adcom has not settled on precise dates. However, they will aim to release decisions in 2-3 batches in the build-up to the final notification date. If I were a betting man, I'd wager that the first batch will come some time in late February, the second batch in mid-March and the remainder of the decisions will be given on March 25th.

I've re-posted the relevant excerpt from the interview for those who are interested.

Quote:
Linda Abraham: Yardenka's question actually relates to your previous answer so I'm going to ask it now. "Thank you for your time Bruce. Will you reveal decisions on a rolling basis this year, or on the decision notification date?"

Bruce DelMonico: For round one, it will be a single release; it will be right around that decision deadline date. For round two, we tend to be a little more fluid there, and we play it by ear because the time frame is a little bit longer, and the round tends to be larger. So we often will break that up into a couple of release points. We don't have any set release points for round two; it depends on when we feel that we are comfortable with a sufficiently critical mass of applications that we can release them before the deadline. So it's usually two or three release points leading up to that deadline. But for round one, it will just be the one release in mid-December.
1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 202 [1] , given: 31

Re: Calling All Fall 2011 Yale SOM Applicants [#permalink] New post 02 Feb 2011, 17:18
This post received
KUDOS
zacdaniels wrote:
I applied 1/5 to Yale and am wondering if I should look lower. I'm a non-traditional applicant: AB in Political Theory from #20 liberal arts college (GPA: 3.6), law degree from #20 law school (with a low GPA: 2.9). Have only one semester of ugrad quant work: Calc I (A). 730 on the GMAT.
Want to lead a nonprofit (currently working in the nonprofit/gov't world).
Is it likely that my Law School GPA is going to sink me at top schools? Given the low grad school gpa, which is obviously more recent than my college grades, should I forget about schools in the top 10? I've noticed that invites have gone out for R2 interviews and I haven't heard anything which contributes to my wondering if I should shoot some R3 apps out.

And congrats to all who've heard positive news!

You didn't mention anything about work experience/leadership experience, which are both extremely important. For the most part, it's not just a numbers game.
1 KUDOS received
VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 202 [1] , given: 31

Re: Calling All Fall 2011 Yale SOM Applicants [#permalink] New post 02 Feb 2011, 17:27
This post received
KUDOS
zacdaniels wrote:
Thanks lagomez for the quick reply. Went to law school direct and worked in a public policy nonprofit and now work in the federal gov't as a federal programs analyst. (3 years in May).
Was a varsity athlete, college newspaper editor and community service leader in college; did a lot of volunteering in law school and served on a law journal. Post-school, I'm a member of politically-oriented clubs and have been involved in membership recruiting for them. Don't imagine this experience is stand-out given what i've seen on these forums.

You are probably good. I'd shoot for Columbia. Read somewhere that they are more open to lawyers.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Schools: Columbia ED (Deferred), Yale SOM (Accepted), Stern (WL), Tuck, Wharton (Ding)

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 0

Re: Calling All Fall 2011 Yale SOM Applicants [#permalink] New post 09 Feb 2011, 07:13
This post received
KUDOS
perseverance wrote:
flysoon wrote:
Could anybody introduce how the Re Vera Services do background check? How long does it take?

I'm also wondering about this. Should I contact my recommenders and let them know they might be receiving a call? I'm assuming all Re Vera is going to verify is employment history, undergrad institution, criminal record, and maybe a credit check. Not that I lied on my app, but this verification process lacks a lot of details. And no confirmation email when the check is complete? What's that about?

Any thoughts?

I submitted my release a day ago and just received an email from re vera. They said that a check generally takes between 2 and 4 weeks and will commence in the order in which the release were received. Im assuming that we are probably near the top of their list at this point, so there shouldnt be too much of a delay from their end. They also said to send them any recommender updates, so I'm assuming that they are planning on contacting them. I asked for some clarity on the employment "hold". If they are going to simply ask my HR dept for a verification of employment, I wont hold up the process. However, if they are planning on disclosing that the verification is for bschool, I'm going to hold off for about a month or two
1 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP
Schools: Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
WE 1: IB - Restructuring & Distressed M&A
Followers: 73

Kudos [?]: 688 [1] , given: 548

Reviews Badge
Re: Calling All Fall 2011 Yale SOM Applicants [#permalink] New post 09 Feb 2011, 07:34
This post received
KUDOS
Did the school change their provider for the background service from Kroll for this year?

In general, a lot of HR won't even comment on specific nature of your employment. Some companies have websites set up that shows "from" and "to" dates of your employment. Other companies refuse to release any info on you due to privacy issues (and potential lawsuits).

When Kroll couldn't verify employment themselves, they usually contact you first and ask you to provide a copy of pay stub, etc. In the past, even though admitted students went through background checks after R1, their bosses did not find out that he/she planned on attending MBA FT (unless they wrote the letters themselves) until the student notified them. Also, a lot of companies have employees doing PT MBA or other programs, so big corporations are used to inquiries like this.

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: Duke!! (CBS-in, Texas-in, Yale-WL, Haas-R)
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 17 [1] , given: 6

Re: Calling All Fall 2011 Yale SOM Applicants [#permalink] New post 10 Feb 2011, 09:06
This post received
KUDOS
SOM said we won't hear until about 2 weeks before March 25th deadline.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Affiliations: VFW, Iraq and Afghanistan Veterans of America, West Point Association of Graduates
Schools: Wharton Class of 2013
WE 1: Army Ranger / Infantry Platoon Leader Operation Iraqi Freedom (2 yrs)
WE 2: Company Executive Officer (1 yr)
WE 3: Company Commander (2 yrs)
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 63 [1] , given: 75

Re: Calling All Fall 2011 Yale SOM Applicants [#permalink] New post 10 Feb 2011, 20:57
This post received
KUDOS
everyone thanks for all the great insights,

i interview tomorrow in Atlanta with Ms.Shelley Clifford, Assistant Admissions Director. I had to meet her down here due to my military committments during the only open slots in the interview system.

i will let you all know if i have any different experience with my interview, but i expect the same type of
resume walk through, Why MBA, Why Yale SOM, career goals etc questions

good luck everyone! this process is almost over
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
GPA: 3.14

Kudos [?]: 87 [1] , given: 57

Re: Calling All Fall 2011 Yale SOM Applicants [#permalink] New post 11 Feb 2011, 04:51
This post received
KUDOS
wp06 wrote:
everyone thanks for all the great insights,

i interview tomorrow in Atlanta with Ms.Shelley Clifford, Assistant Admissions Director. I had to meet her down here due to my military committments during the only open slots in the interview system.

I met her when I visited campus. She's very nice, and was very down-to-business at my q&a. She talked pretty fast, so if it seems like shes rushing your interview along don't worry I think shes just a fast-paced person. Or maybe she was just really busy the day I met her.

Anyway, don't know if this helps, but go kill it!!

1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: Yale SOM
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 49 [1] , given: 23

Re: Calling All Fall 2011 Yale SOM Applicants [#permalink] New post 11 Feb 2011, 04:53
This post received
KUDOS
cloud9 wrote:
perseverance wrote:
flysoon wrote:
Could anybody introduce how the Re Vera Services do background check? How long does it take?

I'm also wondering about this. Should I contact my recommenders and let them know they might be receiving a call? I'm assuming all Re Vera is going to verify is employment history, undergrad institution, criminal record, and maybe a credit check. Not that I lied on my app, but this verification process lacks a lot of details. And no confirmation email when the check is complete? What's that about?

Any thoughts?

May I please ask that when did you interview and when did you hear final result from SOM?

I'm a R1 admit. Interviewed at the end of Oct. Got the admit call on Dec 14. SOM only does background checks on admitted students as nink said.
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Schools: Tuck, Yale (ding), NYU, Columbia, Duke (int)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 22 [1] , given: 13

Re: Calling All Fall 2011 Yale SOM Applicants [#permalink] New post 14 Feb 2011, 09:35
This post received
KUDOS
madzy wrote:
MicaBevington wrote:
Hi everyone -

One of our guest bloggers, Richard Battle-Baxter, just got an invite for Cornell's MBA class of 2013. You can read his thoughts here: http://poetsandquants.com/2011/02/12/an ... on-school/

Here's our full profile on Cornell: http://poetsandquants.com/2010/12/14/co ... anagement/

All the best... and best of luck!

Mica Bevington
Community Editor
Poets&Quants

- The write up in the above post, which is taken is from the Cornell blog, states that Yale is releasing some results on 02/25/11. Am i getting something wrong here?

someone please help!

regards,
madzy

Kind of...they are releasing Consortium applicant decisions on 2/25
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: Yale SOM,Stern,LBS,Vanderbilt

Kudos [?]: 2 [1] , given: 10

Re: Calling All Fall 2011 Yale SOM Applicants [#permalink] New post 14 Feb 2011, 10:22
This post received
KUDOS
atticus wrote:
are all r2 interview invites given out..or can we expect more invites?

No diea..the Yale's admission blog is not yet updated..so we dont know yet...I know that consortium's decision date is Feb 25th..

I applied in regular R2. And the decision is not until March 25th and I still have not received the interview invite.So I guess we have time! Sure, I am tensed and get dejected at times, but that does'nt help. Stay positive.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 0

Re: Calling All Fall 2011 Yale SOM Applicants [#permalink] New post 14 Feb 2011, 21:34
This post received
KUDOS
Here's the response I got for an inquiry letter, regarding my application status, to Yale:

Dear Jerry,

Thank you for your interest in our MBA program.

We are still reviewing applications and have not sent out all interview invitations just yet. We will continue to send out interview invitations right up until the Round 2 decision deadline which is March 25, 2011.

Do let us know if we could be of further assistance.

Best regards,

Yale School of Management

MBA Admissions

PO Box 208200

New Haven, CT 06520

203 432 6380
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [1] , given: 5

Re: Calling All Fall 2011 Yale SOM Applicants [#permalink] New post 15 Feb 2011, 16:52
This post received
KUDOS
Hey -- they sent me a notification stating that they had received my letter two days after I submitted. However that was in December, when things were presumably quiet at AdCom. I had an additional rec letter sent, but AdCom took over three weeks to confirm that they had received it. So, it may take a while. . .

bizschool2011 wrote:
brainhurt wrote:
For anyone on the WL, I got the following as part of the reply to the WL update I sent recently: "The committee will be reviewing WL candidates during the next few weeks."

Also, the email came at 9:00pm last night, so I think the admissions people are working like crazy right now.

Hmm. How long after you submitted your update did you receive receipt of the letter? I sent a letter in on Feb 5th and have yet to hear they looked at it...
Re: Calling All Fall 2011 Yale SOM Applicants   [#permalink] 15 Feb 2011, 16:52