Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 00:06

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling All Fall 2011 Yale SOM Applicants

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
1 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP
Schools: Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
WE 1: IB - Restructuring & Distressed M&A
Followers: 71

Kudos [?]: 685 [1] , given: 548

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: Calling All Fall 2011 Yale SOM Applicants [#permalink] New post 14 Oct 2010, 09:00
This post received
KUDOS
ounce wrote:
If I'm a reapplicant this year and I was rejected after interview last year, do I have to do interview again? Or SOM may make decisions based on prior year's interview feedback?

Many thanks!

Last year, Marina7241 (I think that was the name) was a reapplicant and she was interviewed.

Also, be patient. I understand that it's going to be a rollercoaster ride for many of you.

The only thing that you can do - is do something foolish...like this one

typical-r1-application-process-which-stage-are-you-at-87286.html#p656047

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling All Fall 2011 Yale SOM Applicants [#permalink] New post 14 Oct 2010, 09:13
Thanks Nink!

By any chance, anyone who was a reapplicant and admitted without a second interview? Just curious! :)

nink wrote:
ounce wrote:
If I'm a reapplicant this year and I was rejected after interview last year, do I have to do interview again? Or SOM may make decisions based on prior year's interview feedback?

Many thanks!

Last year, Marina7241 (I think that was the name) was a reapplicant and she was interviewed.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Re: Calling All Fall 2011 Yale SOM Applicants [#permalink] New post 14 Oct 2010, 09:48
Three questions.
1. Does Yale SOM consider legacy status?
2. Does anything on the status page change once someone from SOM admissions looks at it? Like does it say "reviewed" or anything?
3. If everything has a green check next to it on the checklist does that mean that they got it or does it have to say "received---" under activities?

thanks!
1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 192 [1] , given: 31

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling All Fall 2011 Yale SOM Applicants [#permalink] New post 14 Oct 2010, 10:19
This post received
KUDOS
little12 wrote:
Three questions.
1. Does Yale SOM consider legacy status?
2. Does anything on the status page change once someone from SOM admissions looks at it? Like does it say "reviewed" or anything?
3. If everything has a green check next to it on the checklist does that mean that they got it or does it have to say "received---" under activities?

thanks!

1. It probably won't hurt

2. No

3. Yes they got it
SVP
SVP
Schools: Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
WE 1: IB - Restructuring & Distressed M&A
Followers: 71

Kudos [?]: 685 [0], given: 548

Re: Calling All Fall 2011 Yale SOM Applicants [#permalink] New post 14 Oct 2010, 10:38
lagomez is pretty much right on the money.

For the "legacy" thing, I don't know how much impact it has on your application.

When I was applying in 2008, there was a member in the forum who applied to CBS and his dad was a Columbia alum. He didn't get into CBS and the only "courtesy" he got was that someone from the admissions office actually met with him and gave him a feedback (CBS does not give feedbacks to dinged applicants, apparently). That's all he got out of it..... :?

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

Re: Calling All Fall 2011 Yale SOM Applicants [#permalink] New post 14 Oct 2010, 19:38
I'm sending out lots of positive energy in to the universe for everyone. Hope you all get interview invites.
Manager
Manager
Schools: Yale SOM Class of 2013
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 13

Re: Calling All Fall 2011 Yale SOM Applicants [#permalink] New post 15 Oct 2010, 04:30
Now I see why I should have applied to more than one school in a round. This interview invite line that's supposed to appear is all I can think about, very distracting.
Out of the now 3 people with invites, did anyone receive an email?
Thanks

Intern
Intern

Re: Calling All Fall 2011 Yale SOM Applicants [#permalink] New post 15 Oct 2010, 05:42
Does anyone know if a lot of YSOM students live in NYC/Stamford and commute to YSOM? Or do most students live in New Haven?

Thanks
Manager
Manager
Schools: Tuck 2013
WE 1: Big 4

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 67

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling All Fall 2011 Yale SOM Applicants [#permalink] New post 15 Oct 2010, 05:52
NYC will run you 1.5 hours by train each way, so that would be a long commute.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: R1:Cornell, Yale, NYU. R2: Haas, MIT, Ross
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling All Fall 2011 Yale SOM Applicants [#permalink] New post 15 Oct 2010, 06:20
I have applied to two schools and working on my third, but all I do is check my email!!!
Lol goodluck you guys!
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: UVA Darden (R1), Cornell Johnson (R1), Yale SOM (R1), Oxford Said (R2)
WE 1: 5 Yrs Mgmt Consulting

Kudos [?]: 13 [1] , given: 0

Re: Calling All Fall 2011 Yale SOM Applicants [#permalink] New post 15 Oct 2010, 08:22
This post received
KUDOS
Reapp Interview Question:

I saw the "interview complete" on my app status, but the date was from last year's application. I called the admissions office to get a bit more clarity and they were very pleasant. According to them, they invite reapps to interview only if they believed something materially changed that would affect that previous interview. Other than that, they just use last year's interview in the evaluation process.

So, take that for what it's worth. I tend to read into everything, so I guess the follow-up question is, if you are not invited to re-interview does that mean they don't believe the application changes were material? Consequently, does that mean I have not proved my case?

On the contrary, if not getting another interview is NOT indicative of a decision one way or the other, then it's a looooooooooong wait for decision with no indication of where you stand. Would be interested to hear the group's thoughts.

Would also be interested to hear the answer to the earlier question, if anyone reapplied and was admitted without a second interview?

Ok, the MBA app logic tree ends here. . .cheers! Good luck all!
Current Student
Schools: Duke
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 49 [0], given: 12

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling All Fall 2011 Yale SOM Applicants [#permalink] New post 15 Oct 2010, 09:03
btk wrote:
Now I see why I should have applied to more than one school in a round. This interview invite line that's supposed to appear is all I can think about, very distracting.
Thanks

I got an email on the 13th, however, when I then went ahead and signed into my account it listed the invite notification date as the 12th. So to add to all the stress, it seems like the invite emails are behind in time :scared

Current Student
Schools: Yale SOM
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 48 [0], given: 23

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling All Fall 2011 Yale SOM Applicants [#permalink] New post 15 Oct 2010, 09:07
ThomasD wrote:
btk wrote:
Thanks

I got an email on the 13th, however, when I then went ahead and signed into my account it listed the invite notification date as the 12th. So to add to all the stress, it seems like the invite emails are behind in time :scared

Guess that's why I didn't get an email update. Logged in on the 12th, saw the invite and scheduled the interview that day.
Manager
Manager
Schools: Yale SOM Class of 2013

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 13

Re: Calling All Fall 2011 Yale SOM Applicants [#permalink] New post 15 Oct 2010, 09:22
perseverance wrote:
ThomasD wrote:

Guess that's why I didn't get an email update. Logged in on the 12th, saw the invite and scheduled the interview that day.

Thanks for the info, now it seems as though the interviews were all released on the 12th, before it seemed like every day someone got an interview invite. So waiting for the next batch of releases then.

Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools: UNC (Kenan-Flagler) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
WE: Programming (Computer Software)
Followers: 22

Kudos [?]: 194 [0], given: 52

Re: Calling All Fall 2011 Yale SOM Applicants [#permalink] New post 15 Oct 2010, 09:33
hmm maybe 19th be a day? did anyone get dinged?

If you like my answers please +1 kudos!

VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 192 [0], given: 31

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling All Fall 2011 Yale SOM Applicants [#permalink] New post 15 Oct 2010, 10:04
shaselai wrote:

Dings won't go out until the final week
VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 192 [0], given: 31

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling All Fall 2011 Yale SOM Applicants [#permalink] New post 15 Oct 2010, 10:06
ntenzer wrote:

I saw the "interview complete" on my app status, but the date was from last year's application. I called the admissions office to get a bit more clarity and they were very pleasant. According to them, they invite reapps to interview only if they believed something materially changed that would affect that previous interview. Other than that, they just use last year's interview in the evaluation process.

So, take that for what it's worth. I tend to read into everything, so I guess the follow-up question is, if you are not invited to re-interview does that mean they don't believe the application changes were material? Consequently, does that mean I have not proved my case?

On the contrary, if not getting another interview is NOT indicative of a decision one way or the other, then it's a looooooooooong wait for decision with no indication of where you stand. Would be interested to hear the group's thoughts.

Would also be interested to hear the answer to the earlier question, if anyone reapplied and was admitted without a second interview?

Many times a ding is the result a low GMAT. I don't think a higher score would mean "material change".
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools: UNC (Kenan-Flagler) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
WE: Programming (Computer Software)
Followers: 22

Kudos [?]: 194 [0], given: 52

Re: Calling All Fall 2011 Yale SOM Applicants [#permalink] New post 15 Oct 2010, 10:16
lagomez wrote:
shaselai wrote:

Dings won't go out until the final week

i see... guess every passing week w/o interviews means toward a ding.... :|

If you like my answers please +1 kudos!

Current Student
Schools: USC Marshall School of Business
WE 1: Software Consulting
WE 2: Government / Healthcare
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 53 [0], given: 26

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling All Fall 2011 Yale SOM Applicants [#permalink] New post 15 Oct 2010, 12:11
lagomez wrote:
ntenzer wrote:

Many times a ding is the result a low GMAT. I don't think a higher score would mean "material change".

I think a big part of it depends on what you got as application feedback last year. It was cool that Yale gave out feedback after the admissions season was over. I wonder if anyone was told that they had a material weakness in their application?

Something about Kudos or other... if you like then upvote away.

Intern
Intern

Re: Calling All Fall 2011 Yale SOM Applicants [#permalink] New post 15 Oct 2010, 12:47
shaselai wrote:
shaselai

Take it easy, man. The first time I saw the invitation post in this thread, I started to refresh my email as well as Yale online status crazily, and the invitation never came. After two days, I stopped that stupidity, and the invitation showed up in the email box.

The learned lesson is BE COOL. Eventually it will be your turn. Best.
Re: Calling All Fall 2011 Yale SOM Applicants   [#permalink] 15 Oct 2010, 12:47