Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 06:38 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 06:38

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools:Yale - Current MBA Student
GPA: 3.9
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
Schools:Booth(Int - Waitlist-R2), Kellogg (Int-admit-R2), CBS (Ding-RD), Yale(admit-R2), Haas(int-R3)
 Q48  V38
WE 1: 6 years - Healthcare Consulting
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: Calling All Fall 2011 Yale SOM Applicants [#permalink]
Kudos
Hey everyone ... congrats to those who made it and all the best to those who are still waiting ... I got in - Im a Silver Scholar (will be matriculating straight from undergrad) ... keep the hope alive!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 66 [1]
Given Kudos: 21
Schools: UCLA (Anderson) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V41
Send PM
Kudos
Ding for me. Congrats to the all the admits.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [1]
Given Kudos: 6
Schools:Duke!! (CBS-in, Texas-in, Yale-WL, Haas-R)
Send PM
Kudos
I'm not giving up hope. Took the weekend to lick my wounds, but I'm committed to Yale. :)
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 91 [1]
Given Kudos: 57
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
GPA: 3.14
Send PM
Kudos
Just got the continuing waitlist status update. That settles it for me, I'm going to Johnson. I've withdrawn from the SOM waitlist.

Good luck to everyone!
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 779 [1]
Given Kudos: 548
Schools:Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
 Q44  V50
WE 1: IB - Restructuring & Distressed M&A
Send PM
Kudos
For All New Students:

I thought every one knew about these videos and etc on the YSOM website but I guess they can be hard to find.

I keep getting PMs from various people about orientation and what to expect once the school starts, etc.

I can write back to PMs but I think these resources do much better job ~

Orientation and Getting Started for School
Orientation Video
First Yr International Experience
Starting Classes
Finance Bootcamp
Summer Internships

ETC
Investor Trading Game
Student Consulting Projects
Finance: Visit to Paulson & Co
Class of 2010 and 2011

1st Yr Core Curriculum and Study Group - Videos
Study Group
Customer
Integrated Leadership
Competitor
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 47 [1]
Schools:Yale SOM Class of 2013
Send PM
Kudos
MellowFellow wrote:
Any of the admits heard about scholarship offers? We should have heard about it with our admit decision, right? (which means I'm paying for it the old fashioned way)

I believe that scholarship offers would have been given with the admissions decision (I didn't receive one, so can't say with 100% certainty).

I understand your apprehension - now that the initial euphoria of the admit has subdued, I've turned my thoughts to the question of how I'm going to pay for this thing. Rates on Grad PLUS loans are 7.9% with a pretty hefty origination fee. Based on some quick math, if you borrow the full cost of tuition (call it $100k) and commit to repay in 5 years, you're looking at a monthly payment in the range of $2,000. Yikes.

No wonder so many b-school students compete for the highest paying jobs. I'm currently in investment banking, and was planning to move into a lower-paying field after b-school - my fear is that the weight of my student debt will seriously constrain my freedom to change career paths.

Current students: can you comment on the availability of TA positions? I'd imagine that these are reserved for the highest performers, but are they an otherwise viable option and do they pay well?
Director
Director
Affiliations: Consortium (CGSM.org), NSHMBA
Own Kudos [?]: 249 [1]
Given Kudos: 113
Schools:Yale SOM Class of 2012
 Q48  V51
WE 1: Investment Banking Summer Associate (Boutique tech M&A)
Send PM
Kudos
carriedinterest wrote:
Current students: can you comment on the availability of TA positions? I'd imagine that these are reserved for the highest performers, but are they an otherwise viable option and do they pay well?

In addition to TAing undergrad courses, it's also possible to TA the core first year SOM courses (Macro, Micro, Accounting, etc. etc.) as a second year student, provided you achieve a grade of "Distinction" (reserved for the top 10% of each class).
Current Student
Given Kudos: 4
Schools:Yale School of Management '13
 Q50  V44
WE 1: 7 years in Software Development
Send PM
Kudos
nink wrote:
It's my understanding that international students qualify and there's salary limitation (with phaseout above certain lvl). You also need to get documentation from your non profit employer (and I think you continue have to provide documentation while you benefit from the program). It only covers need based loans.

Yes, adcom confirmed to me that international students qualify. The salary limit per year is equal to the average salary of the graduating class. If your salary is below this, your entire loan commitment for the year is taken care of. If your salary is above this, a part of your loan repayment is given by Yale. You would need to apply every year for the loan forgiveness program and you can avail it for a maximum of 10 years.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [1]
Given Kudos: 13
Schools:Yale SOM Class of 2013
 Q47  V41
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Kudos
nink wrote:
DayZBanker wrote:
Nink,

Can you suggest any nice hotels near campus for the Welcome Weekend? Im coming with my wife, so I cant take advantage of the free option of staying with a current student.

I stayed at Marriott 2 yrs ago. It's Marriott, so nothing fancy but I had enough hotel pts, so I didn't end up paying anything.

https://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/h ... n-at-yale/

It's a popular option for a lot of the visitors. The other popular options are:

1) Omni New Haven - either a hit or miss, depending on the person.

2) Premiere Hotel & Suites - probably good option if you have pets

3) New Haven Hotel - another hit or miss

4) The Study at Yale - boutique fancy. never stayed there but a lot of people said nice things about this place. It's also more young and hip, if that's your thing.

Just to throw that out there - all these were fully booked as of last week. And all the B&Bs in the area too. Bulldog days!
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 779 [1]
Given Kudos: 548
Schools:Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
 Q44  V50
WE 1: IB - Restructuring & Distressed M&A
Send PM
Kudos
misterxt wrote:
i've got a R3 skype video conf interview coming up. any tips/suggestions?

Make sure your internet connection is stable. One time I went on a business trip to India and the rented cellphone did not have coverage in the area. Had to go to a hotel and rent their conference video/call facility and it cost me a fortune. (well, it cost my company a fortune) But the quality of the call and the video was not too good.

Also, dress properly. Prepare for the interview like you are prepared for an actual in person interview.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [1]
Given Kudos: 12
Schools:NYU Stern - Class of 2013
 Q48  V44
WE 1: Nonprofit / international development (4 years)
WE 2: Consulting internship - MBB
Send PM
Kudos
nink wrote:
so besides brainchild, who's actively trying to get off the WL? And what steps have you taken so far?

I'm on the waitlist from R2 and here's what I've done so far:

- Contacted someone I work with who taught at Yale (not SOM) for some years to write a brief recommendation letter. She wasn't one of my original two recommenders.
- Contacted a current SOM student I know to write a note of support.
- Contacted the waitlist manager to reiterate interest and ask for feedback. She gave me a couple of areas of weakness to address.

I'm now drafting my update letter and will send it in soon. To be honest, I'm struggling to keep it succinct and punchy. Given that the feedback was that my weaknesses from the application were lack of clarity of goals and ambiguity around work history/choices made in the past, it seems like a tough job to address that honestly and clearly while keeping it short and sweet. Still, I will try.

Any thoughts on any aspect of this, particularly what would be an approximate acceptable length for the letter, would be greatly appreciated.

Also, out of curiosity is it completely unheard of for someone taken off the WL late on in the process to be offered a scholarship? I know Yale isn't exactly throwing scholarships around anyway compared to some schools (presumably they divert a lot of their finaid resources into the loan forgiveness) and coming from the WL it would seem like a very big ask, especially given that they state openly that the money starts to dry up after R2. The waitlist FAQs say that it's still a possibility to get one, but I was wondering if there were any real examples?

Thanks in advance for any help
Director
Director
Affiliations: Consortium (CGSM.org), NSHMBA
Own Kudos [?]: 249 [1]
Given Kudos: 113
Schools:Yale SOM Class of 2012
 Q48  V51
WE 1: Investment Banking Summer Associate (Boutique tech M&A)
Send PM
Kudos
Guys and gals - have a great time during Welcome Weekend. Ask lots of questions, meet your future classmates, and explore everything that the school has to offer. And if presented with the dilemma of partying late (even though you'll have stuff to do early Saturday morning) or going to bed early, please make the right choice 8-)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Kudos
Had my interview with adcom over Skype. Adcom was cordial. Lasted 25 minutes.

Hope this helps. Good luck!
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Tuck - Class of 2013
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [1]
Schools: Tuck '13 (M)
GPA: 3.93
WE:General Management (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Kudos
Just Finished my video interview.

Procedure:

1 - Follow the link in your email. This will take you to the interviewstream website where you will complete your questions.
2 - Read the details, watch the instruction vid, nothing complicated.
3 - When you click start you'll test your equipment and be offered a test question. Take it, it will give you a feel for the real q's.
4 - Click continue and you'll be given an introduction the the interview by the head of admissions, for me this was actually quite calming and gave me a couple of seconds to breath. The intro implies that not all applicants are given the opportunity to interview and that they are using the system to help reduce carbon footprint. The reputation of Yale for social responsibility leads me to believe that this is probably true, however I'm sure that there is a cost benefit as well so expect other schools to adopt this in the future, particularly for international students.
5 - When you click start the question is both read out by the head of admissions and written on the screen. I read fast so, I got a couple of extra seconds to think about my answer before the recording started.
6 - When the head of admissions finished talking there is a 3, 2, 1, countdown and the recording begins. You'll see a progress bar and a countdown clock. This helped me to frame my answer in the required sixty seconds but made the interview feel frantic and perhaps a bit rushed.
7 - Rinse and repeat for the other two questions.
8 - Click submit, you'll have no opportunity to redo any questions you mess up on so be prepared to give it your best shot first time round.

Thoughts...

I generally approve of this, It's a good way to get some face time with the adcom if visiting is somewhat difficult. The questions are as others have described but with some minor differences so best strategy is to prepare as you would for any other interview but frame your answers in sixty seconds or less.

If anyone still has their interview to complete I hope this helps.

Good luck.

RHB
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Kudos
I just received a call R1 waitlister and accepted to the SOM class of 2013!

Wooohoo! :)
Current Student
Schools:Yale - Current MBA Student
GPA: 3.9
Send PM
Kudos
Nink, I've been out of the country the past three weeks and during that time decided to matriculate at YSOM this fall. Update the roll call! I'll change my font to blue when I figure out how to do that next. Thanks for the help and advice you've provided all of us this application season.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Send PM
Hi all, i'm considering applying to Yale for Fall 2011. All best!
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  9   10   11   12   13  ...  101   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts