Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Aug 2014, 03:30

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling All Fall 2012 Consortium Applicants!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
WE: Sales (Consumer Products)
Followers: 97

Kudos [?]: 399 [1] , given: 73

Premium Member
Re: Calling All Fall 2012 Consortium Applicants! [#permalink] New post 28 Jun 2011, 11:28
This post received
KUDOS
jp0812 wrote:
Cheetah,

Thank you for that information though I still have more questions.

Is there any admissions advantage of applying through the consortium? I guess my questions is whether someone applying through the consortium with the absolute same credentials as someone applying without it will have a greater or lesser chance of admittance? Or is it basically the same? Do schools have a max limit of how many students they admit via the consortium?

If the admissions chance is greater, what keeps everyone else from applying via the consortium, even if they don't have the proper credentials of being admitted to the consortium after being admitted to their school of choice?

I apologize for all of these questions but I don't quite understand the whole consortium process yet.

thank you,
jp

I don't think the point of the Consortium is to give students an admissions advantage. What it does is increase access to the top business schools by lowering barriers such as application and tuition costs. Plus it gives UR minority students more resources to succeed not only in school but also in the job market.
Consortium applicants aren't separate from non Consortium applicants in terms of admissions decisions. Once you apply through the consortium you are judged against all other applicants with a similar profile, not just Consortium applicants.
A lot of people don't apply through the Consortium because they don't know about it. However, once people are made aware that the Consortium exists most opt to apply to a few schools because of the financial benefits (lower app fees and the chance at a full tuition fellowship). Schools do have a limited number of fellowships that they can offer. However, admission isn't dependent upon the award. Most admitted candidates are also accepted into the Consortium with a smaller percentage actually awarded the fellowship. I hope that helps demystify things a bit.

The Brain Dump - From Low GPA to Top MBA (Updated September 1, 2013) - A Few of My Favorite Things--> http://cheetarah1980.blogspot.com

1 KUDOS received
VP
VP

Premium Member
Re: Calling All Fall 2012 Consortium Applicants! [#permalink] New post 25 Jul 2011, 05:11
This post received
KUDOS
mbalady wrote:
I actually planned on it, but due to a conflict, was unable to. Would love to hear anyone's thoughts on the MBA tour event.

Highlights of MBA Tour Conference in NYC on July 23
[*] A lot of schools represented across tiers and regions. There were even international schools like INSEAD in attendance.
[*] Strong representation from Consortium schools - Ross, Johnson, Tepper, Yale SOM, Stern, Simon, UCLA,etc.
[*] Went to individual school presentations for NYU Stern, Cornell Johnson, and Yale SOM. Consortium was discussed to varying degrees at all sessions
[*] 2 hour MBA Fair was packed. The Stanford table had a crowd until the very end. Some schools (Booth, Columbia) didn't send admissions representatives, but instead used 2nd year MBA students alone. Personally, I didn't think this was very helpful because students only seemed to have knowledge about their own concentrations and interest areas. It would have been nice to have someone from admissions there to answer questions about the application process and the program in general.

The Good
[*] Cornell's presentation was by far the best of the day! Everyone who went to that session agreed. The associate admissions director, Christine, was energetic, knowledgeable, and most importantly warm and inviting. She was also truthful. When I asked her about ranking schools for Consortium applicants she was very honest in saying that they mattered....A LOT! Oh and if anyone is interested in sales and trading, there's actually a trading floor at the Johnson school! I thought that was pretty cool.
[*] The breadth of schools meant that there was something for everyone. Also, meeting the adcoms and students was a really good way to gauge that indefinable thing they call "fit." After speaking with some schools I knew immediately that the fit was NOT there.

The WTF
[*] During one school's info session applying through the Consortium was highlighted. After the adcom gave some brief details about the Consortium (who, what, how, etc?) someone raised their hand and asked, "So are Consortium applications not considered as highly since it's a common application?" The gasps, sighs, and snickers were audible. I had to make a concerted effort to fix my face as did every other minority around me.

[*] It was very obvious that many people have no clue what business school is about and how this process works. Some folks have a very strange interpretation of what business attire means. People showed up in jeans, shorts, flip flops and other egregious attire. I saw one girl in a romper, another with spaghetti straps, and one in what might have been her quincinera dress paired with a cardigan.

And that is my recap of MBA Tour NYC!

The Brain Dump - From Low GPA to Top MBA (Updated September 1, 2013) - A Few of My Favorite Things--> http://cheetarah1980.blogspot.com

1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Affiliations: Beta Gamma Sigma - Business Honors Society, FINRA Securities Licenses, CA Insurance Licenses
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V38
GMAT 2: 750 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.47
WE: Sales (Retail Banking)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 28 [1] , given: 8

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling All Fall 2012 Consortium Applicants! [#permalink] New post 02 Sep 2011, 18:47
This post received
KUDOS
As far as I know, when you apply through the Consortium you eliminate your chances of getting any of the merit scholarships that the schools may offer. For instance, I was admitted to Emory last year, but did not get the CGSM Fellowship, which is hard to get. The schools hold your application until March and by that time all the basic scholarships have already been used up and you decrease chances of getting any of them. So it is pretty much all or nothing with the CGSM. That is something that has made me rethink if I will apply through it.

Anyone have any further insight with this? Thanks

Brandon Hoffman
http://www.linkedin.com/in/bdhoffman

Management Leadership of Tomorrow (MLT) - MBA Programs Fellow
MLT LA Chapter - Board Member / Recruiting Officer
Net Impact - Professional Chapter Co-President
MBADiversity Organization - Global Fellow, CHINA

1 KUDOS received
VP
VP

Premium Member
Re: Calling All Fall 2012 Consortium Applicants! [#permalink] New post 02 Nov 2011, 05:07
This post received
KUDOS
Nessy26X wrote:
Hi guys, not a lot Darden, Ross, or CMU talk on here, mostly NYU, Cornell, and Haas. Just wondering if the location draws people away from it. These three are all top 10-20 schools. Anyway, I'm an 5.5 year Army officer, born abroad, and applying through the consortium with UVA as my first choice. Wondering if anyone else is on the same boat? Anyway, Rd. 1 is approaching....writing essays for six schools......sucks! good luck to you all.

I'm in for Ross, Cornell, and Haas. This year's thread is definitely much quieter than last year's. Is everyone on the thread shooting for the Nov. 15 deadline? Where is everyone in the process. At the last few diversity weekends I attended a lot of the prospective students were still working on the gmat.

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Consortium
Concentration: Finance
Schools: Cornell (Johnson) - Class of 2014
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 62 [1] , given: 37

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling All Fall 2012 Consortium Applicants! [#permalink] New post 02 Nov 2011, 09:17
This post received
KUDOS
Nessy26X wrote:
Hi guys, not a lot Darden, Ross, or CMU talk on here, mostly NYU, Cornell, and Haas. Just wondering if the location draws people away from it. These three are all top 10-20 schools. Anyway, I'm an 5.5 year Army officer, born abroad, and applying through the consortium with UVA as my first choice. Wondering if anyone else is on the same boat? Anyway, Rd. 1 is approaching....writing essays for six schools......sucks! good luck to you all.

Well, since you mentioned CMU, I was at their diversity weekend this past weekend. Suuuuuper quant-heavy school, which can be either a good or a bad thing depending on how you look at it. Very friendly adcoms and faculty. The most brutal thing about the place for me was location (being from So Cal).

As far as this thread being quite, it will probably pick up once everyone submits their applications. I too, was surprised by the number of people at the Diversity Weekends who are applying this year and were still in the GMAT phase.

Anywho, I'll be applying to the programs to the left within a day or so for Consortium Rd.1. Just putting the finishing touches on my Tepper essay and then I'm good to go.

Good luck finishing up your apps everyone!

It's better to be lucky than to be good.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

1 KUDOS received
UCLA Thread Master
WE: Engineering (Telecommunications)
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 47 [1] , given: 76

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: Calling All Fall 2012 Consortium Applicants! [#permalink] New post 02 Nov 2011, 10:55
This post received
KUDOS
It is really quiet on here in comparison to last year. I would've expected much more activity around now. But most of the thread's (except CBS) have been slow. I wonder if it has much to do with the overall decrease in applications this year. It also seems that a lot of people are either in or just taking the GMAT and almost everyone I spoke to at Discover Stern was aiming for round 2. As for myself I'm looking at round 1, I'm done all of my core essays as well as NYU and Cornell. Im writing drafts from Emory, USC, and UCLA right now and want to have them done by the Friday before the deadline.

Question for all: How many Consortium schools are people applying to? I'm looking at 5, but in speaking with a lot of people they said they wouldn't do any more than 4 as schools ranked 5 and 6 would hold that against you during admissions to protect their yield? Has anyone else heard this or have any thoughts on it?

And how was JMB at Cornell for all who went?

@mixedin86: are you still looking at Stern, I remember you applying to discover stern a while back
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling All Fall 2012 Consortium Applicants! [#permalink] New post 04 Nov 2011, 09:39
This post received
KUDOS
tsiria wrote:
Does anyone know what the Mission Recommender questions are?

Word on the streets...

1. How long have you known the applicant, and in what capacity?

2. The mission of The Consortium is to enhance diversity in business education and leadership by helping the serious underrepresentation of African American, Hispanic Americans and Native Americans in both our member schools’ enrollments and the ranks of management.

What has the candidate done pre-MBA in their business, personal or academic life to demonstrate commitment to reducing the serious underrepresentation of African American, Hispanic American or Native Americans in business school enrollment or the ranks of management? What potential does the candidate demonstrate for assisting The Consortium in pursuing its mission post-MBA?

3. Is there any additional information you would like to provide about this applicant?

that's just word on the streets though...

1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Affiliations: LEAD Program in Business, NSHMBA, NBMBAA
Concentration: General Management
Schools: Dartmouth (Tuck) - Class of 2014
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 44 [1] , given: 77

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling All Fall 2012 Consortium Applicants! [#permalink] New post 06 Nov 2011, 10:22
This post received
KUDOS
Submitted. Round One.

My Blog - Road to the MBA Class of 2014

1 KUDOS received
VP
VP

Premium Member
Re: Calling All Fall 2012 Consortium Applicants! [#permalink] New post 14 Nov 2011, 05:36
This post received
KUDOS
SlumDogEngineer wrote:
Should somebody bother applying to the Consortium if they are a Southern Asian? Think Indonesia, Brunei, Malaysia, there is no doubt in my mind that we are underrepresented but due to people clumping all Asians into one group, it does not appear so.

I was at a Consortium event in NYC in September and saw a good number of Asian candidates in attendance. My assumption is that they are of the nationalities that you listed. Applying through the consortium is less about claiming an ethnicity and more about demonstrating a commitment to the consortium's mission. A person can be black or Latino or Native American and still not be an appropriate Consortium candidate.

1 KUDOS received
VP
VP

Premium Member
Re: Calling All Fall 2012 Consortium Applicants! [#permalink] New post 18 Nov 2011, 06:19
This post received
KUDOS
Xgineer wrote:
If someone gets rejected through the consortium, do they still have a chance of getting in through regular decision somehow? Or is it really one or the other?

So here's how it works. You apply to the school through the Consortium. When they review your app it's like any other person's app. Membership in the Consortium is 100% dependent upon admittance to a member school. If you apply to 6 member schools and none of them admit you, then the Consortium process ends there for you. So the Consortium doesn't reject people from a school, the school does that themselves. Once you don't get in, then you're done for this application year. You can't reapply through the school's application.

Hope this helps.

1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Nonprofit, General Management
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2015
GMAT 1: 740 Q47 V45
GRE 1: 336 Q169 V167
GPA: 3.22
WE: Information Technology (Manufacturing)
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 145 [1] , given: 249

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling All Fall 2012 Consortium Applicants! [#permalink] New post 22 Nov 2011, 14:07
This post received
KUDOS
It shouldn't be that hard I wouldn't think to add CGSM 1 and CGSM 2 to the profile school round drop-down list, I don't think? Once there, it should already flow through to the existing roll call data queries. For a brand new, distinct Consortium query, it's just something like this in SQL, if that's what GMATClub is running off of:

select username, gmat, gpa, age, we, industry, function, concentration
from dbo.applicant base
where exists (select * from dbo.applicantschools filter where (filter.round = 'CGSM1' or filter.round = 'CGSM2') and filter.username = base.username)

Feel free to PM me if there's anything more I can do!
Attachments

cgsm.jpg
cgsm.jpg [ 116.54 KiB | Viewed 2059 times ]

ME: PROFILE | CPA: BEC AUD FAR REG | CMA: ONE TWO

bitly bundles: mba rankings | mba programs

Last edited by method on 22 Nov 2011, 14:13, edited 2 times in total.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Nonprofit, General Management
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2015
GMAT 1: 740 Q47 V45
GRE 1: 336 Q169 V167
GPA: 3.22
WE: Information Technology (Manufacturing)
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 145 [1] , given: 249

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling All Fall 2012 Consortium Applicants! [#permalink] New post 28 Nov 2011, 14:33
This post received
KUDOS
mixedin86 wrote:
In other news, I got my interview invite from Tepper this morning.

Woohoo! :-D

ME: PROFILE | CPA: BEC AUD FAR REG | CMA: ONE TWO

bitly bundles: mba rankings | mba programs

1 KUDOS received
Current Student

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling All Fall 2012 Consortium Applicants! [#permalink] New post 28 Nov 2011, 14:52
This post received
KUDOS
[quote/]I, for one, will not be withdrawing any applications early unless I recieve a full-ride fellowship from my #1 program. Funding is the most important factor for me at this point so I have to see how much, if anything, the programs will offer.

In other news, I got my interview invite from Tepper this morning. It sure will be good to have a decision from somewhere before 2012, unless that decision is a waitlist. :roll:[/quote]

Congrats on the interview! Great to hear we've got a steady flow of invites coming in. For me, I'm trying to balance my decision between funding and the experience. Personally, I would not trade 25k for a rich memorable experience with my classmates.

My two cents.

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: Q V
GPA: 3.4
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [1] , given: 0

Re: Calling All Fall 2012 Consortium Applicants! [#permalink] New post 28 Nov 2011, 15:36
This post received
KUDOS
Also sumbitted 11/15, interview invitation from Darden on 11/21. Still haven't received any communication whatsoever from any other consortium schools.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Affiliations: NSHMBA
Concentration: Technology, Marketing
GMAT 1: 750 Q47 V46

Kudos [?]: 12 [1] , given: 0

Re: Calling All Fall 2012 Consortium Applicants! [#permalink] New post 30 Nov 2011, 16:44
This post received
KUDOS
TheSenator wrote:
Just got word from Haas that they received my app. Still waiting on Tuck and Cornell.

Also heard from Haas today (and got a login). Only still waiting on Anderson. The non-consortium specific email noted the March 1st decision deadline, and said that interview invites start in December. Do you think CGSM round 2 are pooled in with us? I'm always hoping that by applying in round 1 I'm in the small group of CGSM round 1 applicants and get extra attention!

On another note, when logged in to Haas' website you can see your application (at least parts) and it shows your schools in ranked order, so they definitely know. I think this is how all schools get it. I've heard Ross say that they specifically ignore rankings and Darden said they "mostly" ignore them. Anyone know about Haas?
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling All Fall 2012 Consortium Applicants! [#permalink] New post 30 Nov 2011, 19:25
This post received
KUDOS
TheSenator wrote:
Just got word from Haas that they received my app. Still waiting on Tuck and Cornell.

Copy that, got word Haas recieved my application today. Also, got an interview invite from Kelley. Still waiting to hear anything from Johnson, Marshall, & Texas.

1 KUDOS received
Current Student

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling All Fall 2012 Consortium Applicants! [#permalink] New post 01 Dec 2011, 15:23
This post received
KUDOS
The Darden Debrief

I'm still in Charlottesville as I post this and wanted to let everyone know I had an absolutely wonderful time since I've been here. Darden has arguably the most beautiful campus of any of the schools I've visited.

I arrived at 1pm and I was greeted by a few people who knew my name before I introduced myself! I got a packet full of information and one of the adcom assistants took me to the faculty bldg. and I spoke with a professor for an hour...

My interview was at 3pm and the adcom got me from the waiting area a few minutes early. It was totally blind; she had not seen my resume. I gave her a copy anyways. We chatted for almost an hour... Purely conversational with a few behavioral questions. It was comfortable and warming.

After my interview I got a Darden campus tour from a second year and then a first year met me to chat. I walked away feeling very excited with the prospect of going to Darden. I'm kicking myself for not visiting earlier.

Good luck to everyone!

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Affiliations: NSHMBA
Concentration: Technology, Marketing
GMAT 1: 750 Q47 V46

Kudos [?]: 12 [1] , given: 0

Re: Calling All Fall 2012 Consortium Applicants! [#permalink] New post 06 Dec 2011, 16:29
This post received
KUDOS
TheSenator wrote:
Good luck to all of you that have your Darden interviews today! Please share your experience with the rest of the gmatclub & Consortium community.

I had a great experience visiting Darden on Monday. I stayed at the Inn at Darden Sunday night (executive education housing/hotel). On Monday I visited an 8AM class, Darden grounds tour (they call campus grounds), session with the head of career management and lunch with professors/current students. The last thing I did was my interview, which was consistent with others description. It was an hour long, and based on one question - tell me your story - with discussion and follow up questions. I really enjoyed the interview and my interviewer shared a lot of personal stories and experiences during the interview, which helped make it very conversational. I think this is pretty typical, but I did hear a few people say that they were expected to do more of a monologue, so go ahead and prepare a monologue but hope for more of a conversation.

The reputation for academic rigor appears to be true, but as one professor put it during lunch, its not that you are doing more difficult work than you would at any other top business school, its that you are expected to put in the work every day for two years.

I'm guessing there are other Darden R1 Consortium applicants still waiting to hear for invites, but does anyone else have one scheduled that hasn't done it yet?
1 KUDOS received
UCLA Thread Master
WE: Engineering (Telecommunications)
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 47 [1] , given: 76

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: Calling All Fall 2012 Consortium Applicants! [#permalink] New post 07 Dec 2011, 07:02
This post received
KUDOS
Just got my Cornell interview invite, they're my 2nd choice, super excited!! Now i gotta figure out a way up to Ithaca in 2 weeks
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling All Fall 2012 Consortium Applicants! [#permalink] New post 07 Dec 2011, 09:10
This post received
KUDOS
johnnyGMAT2k10 wrote:
Just got my Cornell interview invite, they're my 2nd choice, super excited!! Now i gotta figure out a way up to Ithaca in 2 weeks

Congrats sir! I had to opt for a phone interview, no way I could make it out to Ithaca by the end of the year. Hopefully that doesn't hurt me too bad in their decision making. Today after work I'm meeting up with my Auntie's friend who is a Johnson MBA Alum and did admissions interviews for years after she graduated, so if she has any unique insider information relating to the interview i'll let you know.

Re: Calling All Fall 2012 Consortium Applicants!   [#permalink] 07 Dec 2011, 09:10