Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Aug 2014, 14:56

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling All Fall 2012 Consortium Applicants!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Affiliations: LEAD Program in Business, NSHMBA, NBMBAA
Concentration: General Management
Schools: Dartmouth (Tuck) - Class of 2014
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 44 [1] , given: 77

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling All Fall 2012 Consortium Applicants! [#permalink] New post 06 Jan 2012, 16:17
This post received
KUDOS
johnnyGMAT2k10 wrote:
IIIIINNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN!!!!!! @ Johnson

Just got the call at 6:27 EST

In w/ invite to Scholarship Wknd! :lol:

Johnny, congratulations man... but you had to have known it was coming right? Kudos to you... well deserved.

My Blog - Road to the MBA Class of 2014

Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
WE: Sales (Consumer Products)
Followers: 96

Kudos [?]: 399 [1] , given: 73

Premium Member
Re: Calling All Fall 2012 Consortium Applicants! [#permalink] New post 06 Jan 2012, 16:29
This post received
KUDOS
TheSenator wrote:

Johnny, congratulations man... but you had to have known it was coming right? Kudos to you... well deserved.

Umm...I peeped the color change to GREEN for you too. Tryna be all stealth with your admit to Johnson. CONGRATULATIONS!!! You have a couple of great schools to choose from thus far.

The Brain Dump - From Low GPA to Top MBA (Updated September 1, 2013) - A Few of My Favorite Things--> http://cheetarah1980.blogspot.com

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance
Schools: Cornell (Johnson) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 680 Q V
GPA: 3.25
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 24 [1] , given: 9

Re: Calling All Fall 2012 Consortium Applicants! [#permalink] New post 07 Jan 2012, 10:51
This post received
KUDOS
Congrats to the Johnson admits!! And thank you for spoiling my weekend, LOL. I'm still waiting, I'm trying to be optimistic considering the decision date isn't until Thurs. Where did some of the admits rank Johnson if you don't mind me asking? I'm hoping that maybe just some of the scholarship potentials got the early call. Did your status change on the Cornell website? Congrats again all. Keep it up!
1 KUDOS received
Current Student

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling All Fall 2012 Consortium Applicants! [#permalink] New post 07 Jan 2012, 12:28
This post received
KUDOS
mixedin86 wrote:
btsl84 wrote:
Congrats to the Johnson admits!! And thank you for spoiling my weekend, LOL. I'm still waiting, I'm trying to be optimistic considering the decision date isn't until Thurs. Where did some of the admits rank Johnson if you don't mind me asking? I'm hoping that maybe just some of the scholarship potentials got the early call. Did your status change on the Cornell website? Congrats again all. Keep it up!

I'm in the same boat as you btsl84, just over here trying to keep hope alive! haha. I see we have nearly identical GMAT and GPA too! At least you have one admit under your belt; I'm over here about to have a nervous breakdown :| where did you rank Johnson? they're my #1 so if i'm dinged it's going to sting.

Hey guys, don't hang your heads at all. If you look at when most of the calls were made they were LATE in the day. In all likely hood on Monday and Tuesday more will be going out. Another thing about Cornell specifically with regards to rankings; In my visit there and talks with adcoms they are so much less sensitive about rankings than other schools. I firmly believe they are interested in attracting top tier diverse talent over where applicants rank them. This may not be the case for other schools out there, but Johnson seems to be willing to show a lot of love regardless of if you've have them #1 or #3. And who knows, they may do something similar to Michigan and blank out the rankings.

1 KUDOS received
VP
VP

Premium Member
Re: Calling All Fall 2012 Consortium Applicants! [#permalink] New post 07 Jan 2012, 12:42
This post received
KUDOS
mixedin86 wrote:
btsl84 wrote:

I'm in the same boat as you btsl84, just over here trying to keep hope alive! haha. I see we have nearly identical GMAT and GPA too! At least you have one admit under your belt; I'm over here about to have a nervous breakdown :| where did you rank Johnson? they're my #1 so if i'm dinged it's going to sting.

Hang in there mixedin86 and btsl84. I know what it's like to not be on the call list on the first day. It screws with your head and makes you doubt your chances. Kellogg started calling admits on a Monday and I didn't get the call til late Tuesday afternoon. I was going out of my mind. Also they were releasing rejections and waitlist notifications at the same time. I was hot mess trying to will my phone to ring while praying a status change email wouldn't arrive first. Miserable. But the call did come and all was right with the world.

I know it's difficult, but try to put it out of your mind. Calls JUST started and they WILL continue. It does you no good to try and figure out why some people were called Friday night. Just assume there's no rhyme or reason. I will say that Johnson's timing could have been a bit better. A weekend can feel like an eternity. Just breathe. We're all pulling for you!

The Brain Dump - From Low GPA to Top MBA (Updated September 1, 2013) - A Few of My Favorite Things--> http://cheetarah1980.blogspot.com

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
Schools: Ross '14 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
GPA: 3.75
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 11 [1] , given: 4

Re: Calling All Fall 2012 Consortium Applicants! [#permalink] New post 08 Jan 2012, 10:41
This post received
KUDOS
http://twitter.com/cgsm_recruiting

iamvolitant wrote:
TheSenator wrote:

Check out @cgsm_recruting

... I can only find @cgsm_mba ...
1 KUDOS received
Current Student

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling All Fall 2012 Consortium Applicants! [#permalink] New post 08 Jan 2012, 11:02
This post received
KUDOS
iamvolitant wrote:
Is it more difficult for a non-URM to get membership than a URM? I also assume that for some reason.
but as far as I can tell from what I read, the fellowship is only based on your support for the consortium mission.

Does anyone know, outside of your membership essay, what else goes into the decision to offer a membership?

What changes went in to the evaluation process this year? How was it in the past?

Consortium says it's based on your membership essay and mission recommendation. They also likely take into account your resume & ec's (but it certainly won't hold as much weight as the membership essay & rec). There are a few webinars out there that give students tips on which buzz phrases to use and how specific to be in the membership essay, presumably to telegraph how to gain membership.

EDIT: Don't assume it will be harder to be granted a fellowship because you are not a URM. There are plenty of non-URMs that have been granted memberships/fellowships - however they explicitly support the mission. On the flip-side if you are a URM don't assume you are a shoe in to me a member/fellow - you actually have to support their mission through actions not just as a result of circumstance (read between the lines).

There are a few changes this year:

1) No consortium interview
2) The Consortium evaluates ALL membership essays & recs and grants membership. Schools will not see either. Before it was the schools themselves, and presumably Consortium felt some institutions were taking advantage of this privilege (make what you want of this).
3) Consortium will inform schools before 'draft day' in March who qualifies for membership and who does not.

1 KUDOS received
VP
VP

Premium Member
Re: Calling All Fall 2012 Consortium Applicants! [#permalink] New post 08 Jan 2012, 12:04
This post received
KUDOS
TheSenator wrote:
jassiinpublic wrote:
AFAIK, my views and my track record has been inline with the mission of the CGSM. I am from a minority but I get bundled up with a larger group on the background surveys. I knew the chance was slim but it was worth a shot. I didn't do it for the fellowship but I won't turn it down. My essay wasn't the greatest but I do have a reference who has known and worked with me for 4 years and has seen me uphold the same principles. My grandparents were refugees, my father was the first person to attend college in his entire extended family and I've seen the difference an education made in his life (and mine). If I don't get the fellowship, I'm still glad I applied and glad to know there is someone out there giving the opportunity similar to the one that enabled my dad to escape his situation.

The other part I failed to mention was the Mission Recommendation. None of your schools will see your membership essay or the mission recommendation either.

My view is that I think applying through Consortium for just about anyone is not a bad thing. From a financial standpoint you save money and of course you are giving yourself a shot at having your education paid for and locking up an internship early in the game. There are some out there who will take advantage of the mission, but I happen to believe the system is designed to screen those folks out of the membership/fellowship process.

Something I am noticing Re: Consortium applicants is a surge in candidates of Southeast Asian decent. I'm not sure what the reason is but it's certainly very interesting.

I think the surge in SE Asian Consortium applicants is due to awareness of the Consortium. I think we often view ALL Asians as high represented but that's not the case. Vietnamese, Laotian, Filipino, Indonesians, etc actually face many of the same challenges as Black, Latino, and Native American applicants. Also there tends to be a lot of social interaction within these groups so it's more likely that SE Asian applicants can demonstrate a commitment to the Consortium's mission. One of my chapter sorors is Filipina.

1 KUDOS received
UCLA Thread Master
WE: Engineering (Telecommunications)
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 47 [1] , given: 76

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: Calling All Fall 2012 Consortium Applicants! [#permalink] New post 08 Jan 2012, 19:10
This post received
KUDOS
lilpopers wrote:
Hi! That's all I'm suppose to say, right?

Posted from my mobile device Image

:lol: Best first post ever!

Welcome aboard!
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Volunteer Experience: 24 Months Full-Time
Concentration: Operations, General Management
GRE 1: 322 Q162 V160
GPA: 3.8
WE: Education (Health Care)

Kudos [?]: 29 [1] , given: 69

Re: Calling All Fall 2012 Consortium Applicants! [#permalink] New post 09 Jan 2012, 17:05
This post received
KUDOS
mixedin86 wrote:
I'm just stoked to have some GREEN on my profile!

now your avatar just needs a little red 'X' in the accepted box :D
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 770 Q49 V48

Kudos [?]: 3 [1] , given: 0

Re: Calling All Fall 2012 Consortium Applicants! [#permalink] New post 09 Jan 2012, 21:11
This post received
KUDOS
I also just got a Yale SOM invite tonight at midnight!
1 KUDOS received
VP
VP

Premium Member
Re: Calling All Fall 2012 Consortium Applicants! [#permalink] New post 10 Jan 2012, 06:10
This post received
KUDOS
mbalady wrote:
MoveTheChains wrote:
Hi everyone,

I just wanted to introduce myself and say hi. I was up burning the midnight oil, submitting my HBS application. Now that all the applications are out the way, I can have a little fun on these forums.

I'm applying to Haas, Anderson and Marshall through the Consortium in Round 2, ranked in that order.

And although my handle is a football reference, don't be fooled- I'm a woman. Go Patriots!

Welcome! and Go Patriots!

Seriously ladies? The Pats? I'm deeply disappointed. But hey, 18-1 is definitely something to hang your hat on. Be proud of that accomplishment.....

G-MEN!

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Re: Calling All Fall 2012 Consortium Applicants! [#permalink] New post 10 Jan 2012, 06:54
This post received
KUDOS
cheetarah1980 wrote:
btsl84 wrote:
Booooo!, TB12 is the truth.

All I have to say to that is November 6, 2011. Why don't you look up what happened to TB12 on that day. Let me help you out just in case:

2 interceptions
Fumble for a loss
Sacked twice

LOSS to NY Giants....AGAIN

Okayyyy, I know we aren't about to get into this. Perfect time for y'all to get lucky in the 07' season. Y'all had a decent win this year. Good thing we have the worst defense in the NFL.

Pats 13-3 #1 seed in AFC
GMEN 9-7 #4 seed in NFC
Tom Brady = 4 SB appearances , 3 rings, multiple MVP's (only all time unanimous MVP winner)
Eli Manning = 1 ring, ZERO MVP's and Peyton's lesser than brother.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: Northwestern (Kellogg) - Class of 2014
WE: Marketing (Computer Hardware)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 25 [1] , given: 34

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling All Fall 2012 Consortium Applicants! [#permalink] New post 10 Jan 2012, 08:46
This post received
KUDOS
Go PATS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!....................thats all i have to add
1 KUDOS received
VP
VP

Premium Member
Re: Calling All Fall 2012 Consortium Applicants! [#permalink] New post 10 Jan 2012, 09:11
This post received
KUDOS
Jacksparrow1906 wrote:
Go PATS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!....................thats all i have to add

While we welcome all contributions to this thread, we do NOT welcome the sentiments above. Keep that mess to yourself.

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Re: Calling All Fall 2012 Consortium Applicants! [#permalink] New post 10 Jan 2012, 14:09
This post received
KUDOS
GUFFAW! Sorry I am sensitive to my Patriots. Boston is THE sports town. I'd like to echo the positive experiences at both Tuck and Johnson. Seemed to mesh more with the students at Johnson but that may be because I spent more time with them than at Tuck. I know two current students at Tuck that I went to undergrad with so they were really able to sell me on the school. Not to mention the facilities are top notch when you include housing and classrooms that connect underground. Hanover or Ithaca doesn't really change things b/c we are going to be extremely busy with MBA related activities so, at the end of the day, location doesn't matter (at least to me). All about fit, fit, fit. And proximity to Boston so I can see my Patriots on tv.
1 KUDOS received
BSchool Thread Master
GMAT 1: 680 Q44 V38
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 45 [1] , given: 123

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling All Fall 2012 Consortium Applicants! [#permalink] New post 11 Jan 2012, 13:54
This post received
KUDOS
Just when I was stressing out, I got my first interview invite from Kelley!!! :)
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Consortium

Kudos [?]: 62 [1] , given: 37

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling All Fall 2012 Consortium Applicants! [#permalink] New post 11 Jan 2012, 15:24
This post received
KUDOS
Any Consortium Rd1 lurkers out there that applied to Kelley, it seems as if Kelley e-mailed admission's decisions about an hour ago rather than calling, so check your e-mails!

It's better to be lucky than to be good.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Operations, Leadership
GMAT 1: 640 Q46 V30

Kudos [?]: 36 [1] , given: 36

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling All Fall 2012 Consortium Applicants! [#permalink] New post 12 Jan 2012, 08:46
This post received
KUDOS
iamvolitant wrote:

I was rd 2 also. I applied after the deadline in EST but before the deadline in PST so I was nervous I didn't make it.
Luckily 3 days later I got an email from consortium saying they were reviewing my app and once they determined it was complete, they would send it on to my schools.
Tuesday I got an email and login from Yale saying they were viewing my app.
And today I got the same thing from NYU
I still haven't heard back from the other 4 though.

Posted from my mobile device Image

so i guess it just depends on who has what batch of applications... i submitted mine a day early, but only received an email from the consortium saying my application has been successfully submitted.

for my own sanity, i probably need to limit the amount of times per day i check these boards. i think once i receive an email confirming my application is out and about, i'll be able to relax (a little)

kudos to the round 1 folks - i don't know how you all survived/are surviving... this whole waiting game is not good for my morale

I'm just an Army Officer with an AWESOME opportunity to attend Johnson at Cornell University while staying in the Army... :-D

thank goodness it's over: 2012-profiles-w-admit-dings-results-no-discussion-116595-40.html#p1058537

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
Schools: UCLA (Anderson) - Class of 2014
WE: Sales (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)

Kudos [?]: 45 [1] , given: 10

Re: Calling All Fall 2012 Consortium Applicants! [#permalink] New post 12 Jan 2012, 08:57
This post received
KUDOS
armymba2012 wrote:
suchdaddy wrote:
armymba2012 wrote:
have any rd 2 folks received confirmation from consortium that their apps were forwarded to schools or received log in information from individual schools (hence confirming that consortium forwarded their apps)?

i applied rd 2, but haven't heard a peep from anyone - consortium or otherwise..... :|

I received an email from the consortium telling me my apps were sent out and I immediately heard from Yale and Emory. They both sent me login info, and acknowledged they had all of my stuff. But that's about it and I did apply RD2

how long ago did you receive an email from consortium?

I sent my app in on 1/4 and got notification from consortium on 1/6.
Re: Calling All Fall 2012 Consortium Applicants!   [#permalink] 12 Jan 2012, 08:57