Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Oct 2014, 23:44

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling All Fall 2012 Consortium Applicants!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Concentration: Nonprofit, General Management
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2015
GMAT 1: 740 Q47 V45
GRE 1: 336 Q169 V167
GPA: 3.22
WE: Information Technology (Manufacturing)
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 146 [1] , given: 249

Re: Calling All Fall 2012 Consortium Applicants! [#permalink] New post 20 Jan 2012, 07:06
This post received
KUDOS
iamvolitant wrote:
As far as applications go, once I filled out the first few, the rest were much easier, even the essays.
And overall, my 10 applications only cost 470$
Consortium: $300 (6 schools)
CBS: free
HBS: $100
Stanford: free
MIT: $70

Graduating from any of those schools would be an incredible opportunity and definitely benefit my career, so at the average cost of 2-3 essays and 47$ per app, each of my applications were great investments. I felt as many applications as I could comfortably handle was a good idea.

For those who are maybe a year out and haven't experienced the true cost of applying, I feel we should mention that MBA applications are far more expensive than the application fee. For schools you're dead serious about, you will want to visit on your own or for some Diversity/Preview Weekend type event. Depending on where you are in the country, I think you can expect, conservatively, to average $400 a visit. Then on top of pre-application trips, you may feel compelled to interview on-campus. If so, $400 an interview depending on geography, airfare and lodging accomodations.

I'm sure several applicants on this forum have already dropped thousands.

ME: PROFILE | CPA: BEC AUD FAR REG | CMA: ONE TWO

bitly bundles: mba rankings | mba programs

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Concentration: Nonprofit, General Management
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2015
GMAT 1: 740 Q47 V45
GRE 1: 336 Q169 V167
GPA: 3.22
WE: Information Technology (Manufacturing)
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 146 [1] , given: 249

Re: Calling All Fall 2012 Consortium Applicants! [#permalink] New post 20 Jan 2012, 13:01
This post received
KUDOS
jassiinpublic wrote:
Have other CGSM applicants from R1 heard back from Ross?

Still no love. This whole process over the last 6 months has been an epic fail for me. What did I do wrong?

I expect there will be another interview wave coming for CGSM Ross applicants. If you don't get scooped there, feel free to PM me and I'd be happy to review your application strategy.

Until then, keep the faith! :)

ME: PROFILE | CPA: BEC AUD FAR REG | CMA: ONE TWO

bitly bundles: mba rankings | mba programs

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 22 [1] , given: 2

Re: Calling All Fall 2012 Consortium Applicants! [#permalink] New post 23 Jan 2012, 05:49
This post received
KUDOS
Attention: Anyone who submitted your consortium application on 12/22/2011.

So get this, my application was just released to the schools on 1/19/2012. I submitted it on 12/22/2011. Denise (the consortium application processor) called me and explained that for some reason on 12/22/2011, anybody that submitted their application was "lost in the system"!! Can you believe that?!?! I hope this doesn't hurt the chances of me or anybody else who submitted it on that day getting admitted.
1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
WE: Sales (Consumer Products)
Followers: 98

Kudos [?]: 401 [1] , given: 73

Premium Member
Re: Calling All Fall 2012 Consortium Applicants! [#permalink] New post 23 Jan 2012, 07:34
This post received
KUDOS
treydingo wrote:
method wrote:
treydingo wrote:
Attention: Anyone who submitted your consortium application on 12/22/2011.

So get this, my application was just released to the schools on 1/19/2012. I submitted it on 12/22/2011. Denise (the consortium application processor) called me and explained that for some reason on 12/22/2011, anybody that submitted their application was "lost in the system"!! Can you believe that?!?! I hope this doesn't hurt the chances of me or anybody else who submitted it on that day getting admitted.

Wow. This is unacceptable. I hope the Consortium is bending over backwards to get you back on par timing with the rest of the round.

I totally agree. Thanks everyone for all of the feedback and support! I recieved an email the day after Denise called, confirming that my app was sent to the schools but other than that I don't know if they have taken any additional steps to make it right.
I was debating on asking them to explain to the schools why my application took so long to get submitted but I don't want to have any bad blood with them when it comes time to grant fellowships. I was also considering sending emails to the individual schools but it would be hard to explain the situation without throwing the CGSM under the bus. I think my best bet will be to just keep my fingers crossed that everything will work out and that it won't have any affect on my admission decisions.

I know you don't want to ruffle any feathers, but I do think that you are 100% justified in politely asking the Consortium to send a note to the schools that your application was delayed due to an error in their system. It's just the professional thing to do on their part. I mean interviews have already started going out and your app wasn't even in their hands to be evaluated. That's a HUGE error on their part and ethics would dictate that they acknowledge their mistake.

The Brain Dump - From Low GPA to Top MBA (Updated September 1, 2013) - A Few of My Favorite Things--> http://cheetarah1980.blogspot.com

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: LEAD Program in Business, NSHMBA, NBMBAA
Concentration: General Management
Schools: Dartmouth (Tuck) - Class of 2014
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 44 [1] , given: 77

Re: Calling All Fall 2012 Consortium Applicants! [#permalink] New post 23 Jan 2012, 15:27
This post received
KUDOS
Anyone out there who is trolling the roll call list please remove yourself. Thank you!

If you haven't yet added yourself or updated your stats & status, please do so.

Happy Monday evening :-D

My Blog - Road to the MBA Class of 2014

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Marketing, International Business
GMAT 1: 670 Q44 V38
GPA: 3.55

Kudos [?]: 11 [1] , given: 1

Re: Calling All Fall 2012 Consortium Applicants! [#permalink] New post 24 Jan 2012, 03:13
This post received
KUDOS
Been lurking for a bit but got my first interview invite yesterday (1/23/12) at 11:41 HST from Johnson.

Consortium R2
Submitted: 1/5/12
Released to Schools: 1/12/12

First correspondence from Johnson, though I did get my log-in information from Stern on 1/13/12. Nothing from Anderson.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 8 [1] , given: 1

Re: Calling All Fall 2012 Consortium Applicants! [#permalink] New post 24 Jan 2012, 11:47
This post received
KUDOS
I couldn't tell you mooze... I don't know which schools weigh the rankings more.. I know Tuck and SOM are extremely sensitive about rankings. I keep hearing Stern is too but I don't know. Johnson definitely takes it into consideration as well. I can't comment on the rest of the schools. I ranked Johnson #4 and got in so I don't think there's a science to any of it.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Re: Calling All Fall 2012 Consortium Applicants! [#permalink] New post 24 Jan 2012, 12:46
This post received
KUDOS
That's not true iamvolitant.. A few of us have been told explicitly by adcom's that they take a lower rank into "serious" consideration when it comes to admissions. I only come on the boards once a month, and that is only to virtually slap cheetarah around a little bit, so my information does not come from the boards. I was told explicitly by two different admissions committee members from two different schools. I had a 2 hour long conversation with one and the topic of why I ranked them so low was one of the main topics. I do believe they take a holistic approach, but all we are saying is that the rankings are a part of that approach, and depending on the school, the rankings are a very large piece of the puzzle. I think being aware of how schools handle the consortium applications, and perhaps adjusting your approach based on it should be taken into considersation when structuring your application.

Last edited by cauxion on 24 Jan 2012, 13:05, edited 2 times in total.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Re: Calling All Fall 2012 Consortium Applicants! [#permalink] New post 24 Jan 2012, 13:28
This post received
KUDOS
Yeah ivol, we totally agree on that. You know what's funny? I had a friend who applied YEARS ago and he told me that this has been an issue for years. There was a concerted effort from Consortium alumni to get it changed, but I guess we are proof that the change has not occurred yet. He had to fight to convince Stern that he really wanted to go there. Then had to fight again to get the fellowship. He eventually got both, but he is still bitter about the process and tells me about it everytime we talk about b school.. Which is why we've been talking a lot about politics as of late! lol

Maaaan.. I have some JUICY details on the whole Consortium process. It's a lot more subjective than you think.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Volunteer Experience: 24 Months Full-Time
Concentration: Operations, General Management
Schools: Cornell (Johnson) - Class of 2014
GRE 1: 322 Q162 V160
GPA: 3.8
WE: Education (Health Care)

Kudos [?]: 29 [1] , given: 69

Re: Calling All Fall 2012 Consortium Applicants! [#permalink] New post 24 Jan 2012, 14:45
This post received
KUDOS
Whoa Whoa Whoa....
I got an invite from Johnson 4 hours ago. How did i not find out until now?? crazy Gmail..

anyway, Sweet!
going to Consortium Interview Days Feb 9th and 10th!

My work is going to get suspicious of my sudden surge of vacations to the north east in the middle of the winter...
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [1] , given: 1

Re: Calling All Fall 2012 Consortium Applicants! [#permalink] New post 24 Jan 2012, 18:16
This post received
KUDOS
Hey all,

Just got back from my USC student visit today. I applied to USC and have it ranked #2 for those wondering. Also did things a little backwards. I've visited the business school before just never did the "official" student visit. Quite interesting.

I'm actually an LA native and grew up about 15 minutes from the USC campus (and not in the "black section" of town but in the "hippy" and now very gentrified and trendy but not "westide" area of Silverlake...for those familiar with LA).

Highlights:

Career services as rated by the student ambassador's: "The reality is career services is great depending on what you want to do. For those interested in real estate like me, you really have to make your own opportunities. The trojan network is real, however".

What I got from that, was it really depends on what you want to do. Marshall is good at placing students at some things and horrible at others. Finance or real estate doesn't seem to be it's strong suit. Luckily I'm not interested in either. But for those that are, like the student ambassador's told me, "it's seriously something that you should think about". They said this more than once. So it really is something you should think about. Their strengths seem to lay in Entertainment, Management, and Marketing.

The Students: My impression was that Marshall students are the epitome of Socal--extremely laid-back. The vast majority of students were in jeans. I was in a polo short sleeve and slacks and still felt overdressed! I felt at home instantly, since as an LA native I've always felt at home in sandals and sweats.

Another girl who had just come from an Anderson student visit the day before confirmed my sentiments of Anderson. She said, "The Anderson kids seemed so much stuffier and way more competitive than the Marshall kids". I definitely had to agree with her. The level of "douchebagness" that I picked up on at Anderson was virtually non-existent at Marshall...but that's just my opinion!

The student ambassador who had friends at Anderson said, "they tend to be more square"...and I would have to agree with that assessment. But again just my opinion. I'm sure there are some cool Anderson cats.

Comparing USC/UCLA I would have to say UCLA probably has a stronger career services office but that when it comes down to the alumni network they're both equally just as strong. Still, I was pleasantly surprised. The elitism that is rampant at the undergraduate level at USC just didn't seem to exist at Marshall. Perhaps the rankings has humbled them? I don't know but I liked it and I'm happy I ranked them second even though the facilities certainly aren't as flashy or as nice as Anderson.

As far as Admissions another few interesting points straight from the horses mouth:

We met with the Assistant Director of Admissions who seemed to contradict herself! On the one hand she said that Marshall, "prided itself in taking a holistic approach during the admissions process....we just don't look at the GMAT or GPA...we look at the whole applicant". But then she later contradicted herself by stating, "To be honest we rarely take anyone with a GMAT below 600. It has to be extraordinary circumstances. We have to do that in order to stay competitive". In other words to protect their rankings there is a somewhat arbitrary GMAT cutoff of 600 albeit extenuating circumstances. So they're "holistic" to a point. I don't think she meant to be that frank I think it kind of slipped out and she didn't even realize it, she was talking so fast.

That's all I got folks. Hope that helps.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Schools: UCLA (Anderson) - Class of 2014

Kudos [?]: 13 [1] , given: 0

Re: Calling All Fall 2012 Consortium Applicants! [#permalink] New post 25 Jan 2012, 05:53
This post received
KUDOS
TheSenator wrote:
Congrats Capital! First Anderson Admit! Yeaaaaaa buddy.
Posted from my mobile device Image

Thanks Senator! This forum is a great diversion and you do an awesome job of getting people (myself included) to participate. Good luck to everyone!
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
Schools: Consortium (S)
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.7
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)

Kudos [?]: 6 [1] , given: 0

Re: Calling All Fall 2012 Consortium Applicants! [#permalink] New post 27 Jan 2012, 21:56
This post received
KUDOS
Hi all,
Silent watcher for several months. Got a Tepper & Ross invite. Will be doing Ross interview with alum off campus.
Going to Tepper on 13th for interview. Can anyone share their Ross/Tepper interview experience.
Thanks,
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Social Entrepreneurship
Schools: Northwestern (Kellogg) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 680 Q44 V40
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 22 [1] , given: 3

Re: Calling All Fall 2012 Consortium Applicants! [#permalink] New post 31 Jan 2012, 05:18
This post received
KUDOS
Hey all,

Had my Ross interview this past weekend. Outside of Why MBA and Why Ross, it was very conversational and not the 'structured question --> structured answer' format. I think this may have been a factor of my interviewer's style as opposed to a Ross standard though.

My advice for anyone yet to interview is show your passion/affinity for Ross, dont be afraid to name specific initiatives at the school that attracted you to it, be casual but also professional. My experience with Ross students have shown them to be folks who are very accomplished but also down to earth, so as much as possible, convey that in your interview. All the best!

Now to wait....
1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
WE: Sales (Consumer Products)
Followers: 98

Kudos [?]: 401 [1] , given: 73

Premium Member
Re: Calling All Fall 2012 Consortium Applicants! [#permalink] New post 31 Jan 2012, 08:40
This post received
KUDOS
danjohn4real wrote:
I have an interview coming up with Cornell. Can anyone kindly share some insight on what to expect?

Dude!! Did you apply to every school in the top 16? Whoa! How in the world did you finish all of those apps?

The Brain Dump - From Low GPA to Top MBA (Updated September 1, 2013) - A Few of My Favorite Things--> http://cheetarah1980.blogspot.com

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
WE: Corporate Finance (Transportation)

Kudos [?]: 22 [1] , given: 7

Re: Calling All Fall 2012 Consortium Applicants! [#permalink] New post 31 Jan 2012, 08:46
This post received
KUDOS
cheetarah1980 wrote:
danjohn4real wrote:
I have an interview coming up with Cornell. Can anyone kindly share some insight on what to expect?

Dude!! Did you apply to every school in the top 16? Whoa! How in the world did you finish all of those apps?

I took a three week vacation from work and I spent my entire Christmas and New Year writing essays. I didnt go out and I saw very few visitors. I was just writing essays. My dad is a very good writer so he edited all my essays. It was pretty much a working vacation.
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: Calling All Fall 2012 Consortium Applicants! [#permalink] New post 31 Jan 2012, 14:47
This post received
KUDOS
rackbar wrote:
By when does Tuck expect Consortium applicants to initiate interviews? On their website they have no deadline written for Consortium applicants. Does this mean that Consortium applicants are to be invited or that there is a different deadline?

Rackbar,

Depending on what Round you applied in it may be too later to initiate an interview. For Round 1 it's definitely too late, and for Round 2 if it's not too late, it's getting very close. At this point you may have to wait for an invite. It is rare, but don't lose hope.

On a sidenote, welcome to our forum. I encourage you to continue posting and please add yourself to our official Consortium Roll Call by updating your profile in the upper right corner.

Please post if you have more questions.

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: Calling All Fall 2012 Consortium Applicants! [#permalink] New post 31 Jan 2012, 14:51
This post received
KUDOS
Is it possible that some of the veterans on this forum, Round One folks who have interviewed and others who have interviewed volunteer to be 'interview captains' for the Round Two applicants. I suspect in the next two weeks we will be getting a barrage of posts and I hope we can have a few of you out there who are frequent posters and contributors raise your hand when someone needs help.

At least this way we can instruct someone to Private Message you for advice and details related to the interview process. I've interviewed with the following schools:

Johnson
Berkeley
Yale SOM
Tuck
Darden

If anyone has questions related to those schools please PM me. And thanks to the rest of you who step-up as 'Interview Captains'.

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Sustainability, Social Entrepreneurship
Schools: Consortium (S)
GMAT Date: 09-19-2011
WE: Sales (Other)

Kudos [?]: 14 [1] , given: 9

Re: Calling All Fall 2012 Consortium Applicants! [#permalink] New post 31 Jan 2012, 15:18
This post received
KUDOS
I'm a round 2 applicant. So far I've interviewed with Rochester, Simon and have been admitted with money. I've also interviewed with Duke. Both in person at the schools. I'd be more than happy to talk about my experiences with these schools.

I have upcoming interviews this month with Cornell Johnson and UNC Kenan-Flagler and will post on those interviews after they are through.

Last edited by BEnergy on 31 Jan 2012, 15:52, edited 1 time in total.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Volunteer Experience: 24 Months Full-Time
Schools: Cornell (Johnson) - Class of 2014
GRE 1: 322 Q162 V160
GPA: 3.8
WE: Education (Health Care)

Kudos [?]: 29 [1] , given: 69

Re: Calling All Fall 2012 Consortium Applicants! [#permalink] New post 31 Jan 2012, 15:21
This post received
KUDOS
TheSenator wrote:
Is it possible that some of the veterans on this forum, Round One folks who have interviewed and others who have interviewed volunteer to be 'interview captains' for the Round Two applicants. I suspect in the next two weeks we will be getting a barrage of posts and I hope we can have a few of you out there who are frequent posters and contributors raise your hand when someone needs help.

At least this way we can instruct someone to Private Message you for advice and details related to the interview process. I've interviewed with the following schools:

Johnson
Berkeley
Yale SOM
Tuck
Darden

If anyone has questions related to those schools please PM me. And thanks to the rest of you who step-up as 'Interview Captains'.

I skype interviewed with Tepper and would be happy to answer questions (i am Rd 2).
If you are considering interviewing with them I was told by the lady who scheduled my interview that skype, phone and in person all hold equal weight in the admissions process. That really put me at ease when i realized i couldnt make it to campus.
that might help in deciding how to interview
Re: Calling All Fall 2012 Consortium Applicants!   [#permalink] 31 Jan 2012, 15:21