Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Jul 2014, 07:40

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling All Fall 2012 Consortium Applicants!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
4 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Nonprofit, Organizational Behavior
GPA: 3.45
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 18 [4] , given: 0

Re: Calling All Fall 2012 Consortium Applicants! [#permalink] New post 06 Mar 2012, 09:41
This post received
KUDOS
:-D
kheti wrote:
Anyone know anything about Marshall's notification dates? I interviewed nearly two weeks ago, and haven't heard anything....

Just got the call- I'm in!! :-D
4 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
Schools: UCLA (Anderson) - Class of 2014
WE: Sales (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)

Kudos [?]: 45 [4] , given: 10

Re: Calling All Fall 2012 Consortium Applicants! [#permalink] New post 08 Mar 2012, 21:05
This post received
KUDOS
WHAAAAAAAT!!!.. JUST GOT MY UCLA ADMIT!!!!
where dem dolla at, where dem dolla at....
4 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
GPA: 3.67

Kudos [?]: 17 [4] , given: 12

Re: Calling All Fall 2012 Consortium Applicants! [#permalink] New post 08 Mar 2012, 21:15
This post received
KUDOS
In at UCLA also!!!! Forget the waitlist at McCombs!!! 3 schools down...3 more to go.
4 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Schools: Johnson '14 (M)

Kudos [?]: 11 [4] , given: 2

Re: Calling All Fall 2012 Consortium Applicants! [#permalink] New post 12 Mar 2012, 07:54
This post received
KUDOS
This past weekend up in Ithaca for Leadership weekend was honestly one of the best times of my life. It was a pleasure meeting everyone and I cant wait for DJ, and having some of you as my future classmates.

Since we're going full disclosure - I just wanted to say I also got the Park fellowship!! Prob the best call I've ever received.

Should we all get matching friendship bracelets for ourselves and Clint?

#ballsohard
4 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 23 [4] , given: 2

Re: Calling All Fall 2012 Consortium Applicants! [#permalink] New post 14 Mar 2012, 12:57
This post received
KUDOS
I got CGSM fellowship at EMORY!!!! (not sure of amount, i had to send them to VoiceMail

I ranked them 3/5, 2y program, any other questions don't hesitate to PM me,

very excited "KING KONG AINT GOT SH** ON ME!!"
4 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 4 [4] , given: 1

Re: Calling All Fall 2012 Consortium Applicants! [#permalink] New post 14 Mar 2012, 20:14
This post received
KUDOS
I'm proud to announce that I received the Consortium Fellowship from UCLA!!!! I can finally exhale. Thanks to everyone in this forum for sharing your stories and for encouraging us to keep the faith. FYI: I ranked UCLA #1, and they called me late this afternoon. I'm sooooo incredibly happy right now!!! Stay encouraged everyone...calls are still going out.
4 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 4 [4] , given: 0

Re: Calling All Fall 2012 Consortium Applicants! [#permalink] New post 15 Mar 2012, 11:38
This post received
KUDOS
Just got the call from Tuck! I'm in with the Consortium Fellowship and couldn't be any happier. I was sold at Divco. I ranked Tuck #1.
4 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 13 [4] , given: 13

Re: Calling All Fall 2012 Consortium Applicants! [#permalink] New post 16 Mar 2012, 06:51
This post received
KUDOS
I was accepted to tuck today! no fellowship but my second ranked school (yale) did offer me a fellowship...now I need to make difficult decisions...

good luck everyone waiting and to everyone in the consortium!
4 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
GPA: 3.67

Kudos [?]: 17 [4] , given: 12

Re: Calling All Fall 2012 Consortium Applicants! [#permalink] New post 16 Mar 2012, 08:38
This post received
KUDOS
I got the call from Tuck this morning, I'm still teary eyed from happiness!! It was a tough road even having to deal with the negativity of individuals that were trying to tell me that I was not good enough. Prayer and my family helped me through! I did not get any money from them, but I was accepted. I also got the call from UNC yesterday with the Consortium fellow and 25% from Ross. Right now all I can think of is Tuck only prob. is how am I going to pay for it?!?!? ahhhh
4 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Sustainability, Social Entrepreneurship
Schools: Consortium (S)
GMAT Date: 09-19-2011
WE: Sales (Other)

Kudos [?]: 14 [4] , given: 9

Re: Calling All Fall 2012 Consortium Applicants! [#permalink] New post 17 Mar 2012, 12:52
This post received
KUDOS
Hey Y'all. Just wanted to share the great news on my end. This past Wednesday I had two of the best phone calls of my life. At about 4pm in the afternoon, when I was starting to wonder if I'd hear anything at all, I got the ADMIT call from ROSS!!

20 Minutes later I got The Consortium call from CORNELL. Full Fellowship!!!

I see many great posts for other fellows and am very happy for everyone's continued success.

-B
4 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Dartmouth (Tuck) - Class of 2014
WE: Corporate Finance (Real Estate)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 45 [4] , given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling All Fall 2012 Consortium Applicants! [#permalink] New post 03 Apr 2012, 15:08
This post received
KUDOS
Puffnstuff wrote:
There is still time for other companies to sign up so don't give up just yet. The early bird deadline is this week but companies can continue to sign up until the conference.

I'm surprised to see people are already passing judgement and showing disappointment with the Consortium. OP is also an opportunity to network, improve your resume and interviewing skills, and generally start getting into the school groove before anyone else in your class does. All of this is being provided to you for FREE, if you are attending a Consortium school.

They can't possibly have all of our ideal employers there or guarantee that any of us can secure an internship. Where's the optimism and hope that it'll be a valuable experience nonetheless? Senator, aren't your expectations for the OP another form of entitlement you argue against on your blog? Please don't take this as an attack. I'm not trying to be argumentative - I'm mainly trying to remind folks that we should all be grateful for having this opportunity.

I'm personally still ecstatic to be part of the Consortium and look forward to OP even if Ed Pioneers or Broad don't make an appearance.

Yeah, I view OP as the icing on the cake,...I'll take full advantage of whats available but I'm of the mindset that I will hopefully secure internships via OCI's (because its more in line w/ my career interests). That being said,..I'm fully open to one of these companies changing my mind.

But honestly, I'm more interested in meeting all of you guys/girls and just building a strong network. To a certain degree now that we're in the Consortium,.. we have to take ownership of it and make it as strong as possible. If we all excel at what we do,..in the next 10-15 years we'll be in positions where we can influence some of the best firms in the world to recruit through the Consortium. Its not just about what we can gain,..but what we can contribute.
4 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
WE: Corporate Finance (Real Estate)

Kudos [?]: 45 [4] , given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling All Fall 2012 Consortium Applicants! [#permalink] New post 04 Apr 2012, 06:26
This post received
KUDOS
AnarchyBunny wrote:
One of the things I often wonder about folks in the Consortium is a point well-articulated above. One of the most disappointing things about the B-School interview process was that I was never asked to explain what motivated me.

TheSenator has a very interesting thread on his blog pointing out that by his perception many in the Consortium seem to want the bread & butter of going to a school w/o getting the scores. I guess I wonder - for those shooting for MBB in consulting whatever school you choose... why?

What are you hoping to achieve? What's your motivation for your chosen field? You look at method's analysis above and he points out that Booth has twice the placement rate of Ross. I guess if you're only goal is to make a lot of money consulting, that's an awesome stat. But if not, why not?

I guess I wonder, often, about 'the why' of my peers. Would just like some insight as to why that's important. Insights welcome.

I think we're getting a little deep here. :-D

But going down this road a little further,...the implication of your post (maybe not the implication but atleast the tone) seems to be that choosing a school based on how it can meet your well thought out career objectives is better than selecting prestige in the hopes of landing a less well defined but "lucrative" career. I think thats a wrong assumption to make. Personally, because of my background I feel a strong urge to make as much money as possible because I do have extended family members that will partially rely on me, and the culture I was brought up in values the subordination of personal goals for the good of the group. So for me, thats the "right" thing to do. We know that in the aggregate "prestige" does have an impact on compensation. I think that when somebody chooses money as a key driver the assumptions almost reflexively go to material motives, which isn't always the case. On the flip side, other value systems stress personal fulfillment over monetary success. Neither side is wrong, they're just operating on different systems.

So, in conclusion, I think its pointless to read into anybody's motives regarding these very personal decisions. Usually our motives have many layers and they're rooted in our own values. Its not something that can be judged (not that you were judging it).

Where I think you're going with this is that we should all reflect on our motives before we choose which school to attend,...and I definitely agree with that.
3 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: Cornell (accepted)
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 25 [3] , given: 4

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling All Fall 2012 Consortium Applicants! [#permalink] New post 01 Jan 2012, 20:46
This post received
KUDOS
I don't do this often - if ever, but I wanted to post this link to my last blog post regarding the looming Consortium application deadline this week.

http://money9111.blogspot.com/2012/01/h ... cants.html

It hopefully offers some advice and solace to those who are still pounding away with essays that are due very shortly!

Find out more about my MBA ADMISSIONS BOOK on how to navigate the b-school application process: http://bit.ly/1a9U7Cl

Blogged my way through the application process, 1st & 2nd year of school at Johnson at Cornell University - Graduated 5/26/2013 - Follow my MBA journey here @ http://www.money9111.blogspot.com | 1 New Post on 10/10
!

3 KUDOS received
BSchool Thread Master
GMAT 1: 680 Q44 V38

Kudos [?]: 44 [3] , given: 123

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling All Fall 2012 Consortium Applicants! [#permalink] New post 04 Jan 2012, 21:24
This post received
KUDOS
armymba2012 wrote:
just submitted my application online....

was i the only one that got slight sick/ill/nauseous right before?

good luck everyone!!

You're not alone! :-D

Good luck guys!
3 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [3] , given: 1

Re: Calling All Fall 2012 Consortium Applicants! [#permalink] New post 05 Jan 2012, 23:14
This post received
KUDOS
mixedin86 wrote:
suchdaddy wrote:

In regards to the whole higher GMAT scores for Consortium applicants this year topic, I agree with you and Cheetarah1980. I believe I'm tied for having the lowest visable GMAT score on this thread but I would be highly surprised if the average Consortium GMAT for this year jumps up to 700 or even 665 after being a 644 or whatever it was. With that having been said, I still think to be ultra-competitive at the upper-echelon of Consortium schools like Tuck, Haas, Yale, and Stern you'd still want to secure a 700+ score, even as a Consortium applicant, ESPECIALLY if you want a crack at that fellowship from one of those schools.

After days of lurking around on this thread and book marking this thread it was this post and the dozens of others like it that I have read (not necessarily on this forum) that finally prompted me to become a member so that I could respond.
I hope my words do not offend anyone on this board. They are not meant to. Yet this post illustrates to me and at the most fundamental level what is so very wrong with business school admissions and why the average GMAT at the “top” schools continue to creep upwards year after year, when not one credible and scholarly source has been published showing a direct correlation with a high GMAT score and a successful businessman/woman or financier. Business schools have become slaves to rankings and quite predictably, we, the applicants have bought into them hook, line, and sinker. I was beating myself up over my "low" score until I realized it is just a freaking test! On algebra, geometry and idioms for god sakes!

There is more to an applicant than the freaking GMAT! If you want to be competitive you need to have a story. You need to stand out. You need to be different. And yes you need to let adcom know that you can handle the academic rigor of business school. I will be the first to admit that. But lets get away from this 700+ GMAT nonsense. Please. It’s absurd. I’m not trying to take away from those that score extremely well on the GMAT. But if we’re all trying to really get back to the Consortium’s mission then lets put our money where our mouth’s are and stop buying into this obsession of extraordinarily high GMAT scores, that after a certain threshold no longer serve any evaluative purpose. Rather, the inflated scores’ sole purpose is to move the business school up in the rankings, while inadvertently keeping black and latino admissions down, because of their typically lower GMAT numbers.

Don’t get me started on the business side of the GMAT, which includes Manhattan, Princeton Review, Knewton, etc. And yes I took Knewton and raised my score 100 points! But then again that’s my point right there. It’s painfully obvious the GMAT and the biz school admissions process in and of itself becomes a socioeconomically discriminatory process that inadvertently affects UDR’s more.

In any event, sorry for my rant but I’m just so tired of all this high GMAT talk like it’s really that serious. I applied to business school through the consortium and I did not score below 600 on the GMAT, nor did I score above 650. Nonetheless, if I am admitted into business school through the consortium you can bet one of my biggest goals/concerns that I will be bring up to my #1 choice is this seemingly pervasive attitude with obtaining a freakishly high GMAT score that continues to get higher each year. So pervasive in fact, white and other non-minority applicants seem to think blacks, latinos, and females are getting into business schools by the droves with drastically lower GMAT scores because of affirmative action. This clearly isn’t the case, judging by the pitifully low numbers of UDR’s in business schools across the country. Anyway, good luck to everyone. Again didn't mean to offend. Might see some of you next year.
3 KUDOS received
Current Student
Affiliations: LEAD Program in Business, NSHMBA, NBMBAA
Concentration: General Management
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 44 [3] , given: 77

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling All Fall 2012 Consortium Applicants! [#permalink] New post 09 Jan 2012, 21:05
This post received
KUDOS
Just got an interview invite from Yale! Going broke flying to the east coast, but hey it's worth it!

My Blog - Road to the MBA Class of 2014

3 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Social Entrepreneurship
Schools: Northwestern (Kellogg) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 680 Q44 V40
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 22 [3] , given: 3

Re: Calling All Fall 2012 Consortium Applicants! [#permalink] New post 10 Jan 2012, 05:04
This post received
KUDOS
MoveTheChains wrote:
Hi everyone,

I just wanted to introduce myself and say hi. I was up burning the midnight oil, submitting my HBS application. Now that all the applications are out the way, I can have a little fun on these forums.

I'm applying to Haas, Anderson and Marshall through the Consortium in Round 2, ranked in that order.

And although my handle is a football reference, don't be fooled- I'm a woman. Go Patriots!

Welcome! and Go Patriots!
3 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Operations, Leadership
Schools: Cornell (Johnson) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 640 Q46 V30

Kudos [?]: 36 [3] , given: 36

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling All Fall 2012 Consortium Applicants! [#permalink] New post 18 Jan 2012, 09:27
This post received
KUDOS
just received an interview invite for Cornell..... :shock:

i applied round 2, in case anyone is wondering.

I'm just an Army Officer with an AWESOME opportunity to attend Johnson at Cornell University while staying in the Army... :-D

thank goodness it's over: 2012-profiles-w-admit-dings-results-no-discussion-116595-40.html#p1058537

3 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Schools: UCLA (Anderson) - Class of 2014

Kudos [?]: 13 [3] , given: 0

Re: Calling All Fall 2012 Consortium Applicants! [#permalink] New post 25 Jan 2012, 04:53
This post received
KUDOS
I got the check status email at 3AM PT from Anderson (having not slept knowing the decision was coming today). I'm usually a pretty calm guy, but my hands were trembling so hard that it took me 3 attempts to log-in. Everything I went through to get to that point - missing work to visit schools, staying up late to study for the GMAT and write essays, (foolishly) telling everyone who I'm close to that Anderson was my first choice, etc. - flashed through my mind. The next two clicks to get to the decision were the longest and most ominous clicks of my life. And all that tension for naught - Anderson 2014!
3 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Leadership
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 35 [3] , given: 24

Re: Calling All Fall 2012 Consortium Applicants! [#permalink] New post 21 Feb 2012, 14:07
This post received
KUDOS
YAY!!!!! I am in at Johnson.

Took me a while to join the fun!!!!

Thanks to Y'all for all the support.

Wishing admits, interviews, etc for other folks yet to receive them.

Cheers!
Re: Calling All Fall 2012 Consortium Applicants!   [#permalink] 21 Feb 2012, 14:07