Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 29 Aug 2014, 10:36

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling All Fall 2012 Consortium Applicants!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
3 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Marketing, International Business
Schools: Indiana (Kelley) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 540 Q33 V31
GMAT 2: 650 Q39 V40
GPA: 3.22
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 30 [3] , given: 5

Re: Calling All Fall 2012 Consortium Applicants! [#permalink] New post 02 Mar 2012, 14:00
This post received
KUDOS
Got my admit to Kelley today, too!!! Per their instructions, merit award info will be included in the admissions package. So waiting to see if there's funding attached. :-D :lol:
3 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V47

Kudos [?]: 26 [3] , given: 14

Re: Calling All Fall 2012 Consortium Applicants! [#permalink] New post 02 Mar 2012, 16:57
This post received
KUDOS
make it rain!

3 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Marketing, International Business
Schools: Indiana (Kelley) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 540 Q33 V31
GMAT 2: 650 Q39 V40

Kudos [?]: 30 [3] , given: 5

Re: Calling All Fall 2012 Consortium Applicants! [#permalink] New post 02 Mar 2012, 17:05
This post received
KUDOS
woggy987 wrote:
make it rain!

Absolutely hilarious!!!! Love this GIF!!!
3 KUDOS received
VP
VP
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
WE: Sales (Consumer Products)
Followers: 97

Kudos [?]: 399 [3] , given: 73

Premium Member
Re: Calling All Fall 2012 Consortium Applicants! [#permalink] New post 05 Mar 2012, 13:49
This post received
KUDOS
danjohn4real wrote:
This month is a big month for most of us who applied for round 2. For some reason I am very nervous. I wish I could fast forward the month and find out my fate quickly. Although my application has some very visible weaknesses, I put my best foot forward and sold my authentic self to the best of my ability. I am tired of waiting and I am tired of saying to myself what if this school...... what if that school.....

My question for the round 1 applicants is, how did you manage the wait?

Vodka, tequila, whiskey, beer, etc.

The Brain Dump - From Low GPA to Top MBA (Updated September 1, 2013) - A Few of My Favorite Things--> http://cheetarah1980.blogspot.com

3 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Real Estate, Finance
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 8 [3] , given: 0

Re: Calling All Fall 2012 Consortium Applicants! [#permalink] New post 08 Mar 2012, 18:10
This post received
KUDOS
Dinged from McCombs with an interview but in at Wisconsin with full tuition and monthly stipend!!! I am feeling truly blessed. Congrats to everyone with admits and for those still waiting, stay positive.
3 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2014

Kudos [?]: 3 [3] , given: 1

Re: Calling All Fall 2012 Consortium Applicants! [#permalink] New post 14 Mar 2012, 10:07
This post received
KUDOS
I just got the call as well!
3 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: Northwestern (Kellogg) - Class of 2014
WE: Marketing (Computer Hardware)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 25 [3] , given: 34

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling All Fall 2012 Consortium Applicants! [#permalink] New post 14 Mar 2012, 10:52
This post received
KUDOS
Just got the consortium fellowship from Emory, some tough decisions ahead
3 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Schools: Tuck '16 (M)
GMAT 1: Q V

Kudos [?]: 14 [3] , given: 5

Re: Calling All Fall 2012 Consortium Applicants! [#permalink] New post 14 Mar 2012, 11:48
This post received
KUDOS
I"M IN AT ROSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No $$. But I'm in!!!! All the work finally paid off!!!!!!!!!!!

GO BLUE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
3 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 730 Q44 V45
GPA: 3.1
WE: Other (Venture Capital)

Kudos [?]: 10 [3] , given: 0

Re: Calling All Fall 2012 Consortium Applicants! [#permalink] New post 15 Mar 2012, 10:28
This post received
KUDOS
I got the Fellowship call from Stern!!!! Pretty excited right now. Can't get any work done.
3 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Finance, Real Estate
GPA: 3.65
WE: Project Management (Real Estate)
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 45 [3] , given: 56

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling All Fall 2012 Consortium Applicants! [#permalink] New post 16 Mar 2012, 05:46
This post received
KUDOS
I'm happy to report that I just received the call from UNC, I'm in with the fellowship!!! :)

Now my decision is going to be really though to make. I already have an offer from Wisconsin with full Schorlarship + living Stipend. I have a lot to consider now. I'm very lucky to have this dilemma. Good luck to those still waiting.
3 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q V

Kudos [?]: 9 [3] , given: 4

Re: Calling All Fall 2012 Consortium Applicants! [#permalink] New post 03 Apr 2012, 14:52
This post received
KUDOS
There is still time for other companies to sign up so don't give up just yet. The early bird deadline is this week but companies can continue to sign up until the conference.

I'm surprised to see people are already passing judgement and showing disappointment with the Consortium. OP is also an opportunity to network, improve your resume and interviewing skills, and generally start getting into the school groove before anyone else in your class does. All of this is being provided to you for FREE, if you are attending a Consortium school.

They can't possibly have all of our ideal employers there or guarantee that any of us can secure an internship. Where's the optimism and hope that it'll be a valuable experience nonetheless? Senator, aren't your expectations for the OP another form of entitlement you argue against on your blog? Please don't take this as an attack. I'm not trying to be argumentative - I'm mainly trying to remind folks that we should all be grateful for having this opportunity.

I'm personally still ecstatic to be part of the Consortium and look forward to OP even if Ed Pioneers or Broad don't make an appearance.
3 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Nonprofit, General Management
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2015
GMAT 1: 740 Q47 V45
GRE 1: 336 Q169 V167
WE: Information Technology (Manufacturing)
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 145 [3] , given: 249

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling All Fall 2012 Consortium Applicants! [#permalink] New post 03 Apr 2012, 20:12
This post received
KUDOS
TheSenator wrote:
Am I wrong for suggesting that?

There's nothing wrong with asking questions, but I wonder if they're being asked just a little early. This is like the thread where someone was asking Haas vs. Ross w/$$$, but he was still waiting on decisions from Wharton and Kellogg. What was the potential value of asking that question, let alone the potential value of putting time into answering it? I thought to myself, watch this guy get into Wharton or Kellogg, and this entire thread is going to be rendered entirely useless. And then it happened! :o

In the same vein, several people on the Ross thread wanted to throw in the towel while calls were still going out. Oh, it's X:00 pm, so I guess it's over: waitlist for me. Then people are still reporting calls right after that. :o

Same situation here, we could sit here and toss the ball back and forth about the OP companies, except that the exhibit hall map is only half full and we're still more than two months out. Just today, I noticed a new entry on the OP exhibit hall map.

CGSM has powered this thing up over decades. I say lets give them the benefit of the doubt, along with the rest of our CGSM predecessors and their performances/connections, and make our assessments after OP. If any questions are warranted then, I'll contribute anything valuable I can think of to the discussion. :-D

There's also nothing wrong with being disappointed about the lot. If EP and Broad aren't there, I'll be disappointed because it's an opportunity lost. Could I sit around and BS with the CPGs? Sure. Might it be valuable practice networking and interviewing? Sure. Would an internship offer take some stress off of me, even if its in the "wrong" field? Sure. But I'll still be disappointed that those opportunities weren't aligned with the very reason I'm at grad school.

I mean hey, I'm disappointed OP is in Minneapolis and not Honolulu, but I'll still make the most out of it. And so will everyone else despite their potential disappointments. :-D

ME: PROFILE | CPA: BEC AUD FAR REG | CMA: ONE TWO

bitly bundles: mba rankings | mba programs

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: Cornell (Matriculated - Consortium Fellowship), Yale (Admitted), Georgetown (Admitted + $$), UCLA (Admitted + $$), NYU (WL)

Kudos [?]: 3 [2] , given: 0

Re: Calling All Fall 2012 Consortium Applicants! [#permalink] New post 09 Aug 2011, 12:27
This post received
KUDOS
Hi Everyone,

For those of you who are asking about the rankings, you should also consider the amount of fellowships that schools give out before ranking them on top, if a fellowship is what you are after.

I applied through the Consortium last year and was admitted to Cornell, Yale, and UCLA, and waitlisted at NYU. I received a fellowship from Cornell, where I matriculated.

What I mean by my above statement is this - UCLA did not give out ONE full tuition fellowship last year, and with the recent budget cuts to the UC system, it may be the same this year. When I attended their diversity event, Adcoms said they were committed to giving out at least 8, which turned out to be not true. I ranked UCLA first on my application, followed by Cornell, NYU, and Yale. I ranked Yale last simply because I didn't think my chances of getting admitted were high. When I was notified that Cornell awarded me with the fellowship, I thought that UCLA passed on me (not knowing at the time that they didn't give any out at all). Cornell luckily didn't mind that I ranked them second, however, other schools may care.

My point is if you know that you want a fellowship and you think that your chances of getting into schools X and Y are relatively high, and you know that school Y gives out a small amount of fellowships (or none), while school X has a large Consortium class, you may want to consider ranking school X first.

For those of you wondering whether you should apply in R1 or R2, I would say that it really doesn't matter. Applying in R2 will probably produce a more successful application simply because you put more time into it. Schools have their own Consortium deadlines, so don't pay any attention to their regular deadlines.

I would also say that applying through the Consortium can only backfire for those who are not under-represented minorities but are trying to convey that they are dedicated to the Consortium's mission. Unless you have a very strong case, you may be better off applying through a regular application. UR minorities should definitely apply through the Consortium.

I know what everyone is going through, so feel free to PM me if you have any questions. Good luck everyone!
2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
Schools: UCLA (Anderson) - Class of 2014
WE: Sales (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)

Kudos [?]: 45 [2] , given: 10

Re: Calling All Fall 2012 Consortium Applicants! [#permalink] New post 04 Jan 2012, 14:08
This post received
KUDOS
[deep exhale] I just hit the submit button!!! Lord be with me! Haas, ucla, Texas, Yale, Emory..... Don't rob a young brother of his dreams.

Posted from my mobile device Image
2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [2] , given: 0

Re: Calling All Fall 2012 Consortium Applicants! [#permalink] New post 05 Jan 2012, 09:41
This post received
KUDOS
I received that email as well and freaked out! Thank you for calming me down (for now, haha).

Anyway, I posted a while ago and have been lurking in the shadows ever since. Thank you everyone for the helpful information, and I will add my credentials for the roll call.

2 KUDOS received
VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 399 [2] , given: 73

Premium Member
Re: Calling All Fall 2012 Consortium Applicants! [#permalink] New post 06 Jan 2012, 08:44
This post received
KUDOS
Mbahopesful wrote:
mixedin86 wrote:
suchdaddy wrote:

In regards to the whole higher GMAT scores for Consortium applicants this year topic, I agree with you and Cheetarah1980. I believe I'm tied for having the lowest visable GMAT score on this thread but I would be highly surprised if the average Consortium GMAT for this year jumps up to 700 or even 665 after being a 644 or whatever it was. With that having been said, I still think to be ultra-competitive at the upper-echelon of Consortium schools like Tuck, Haas, Yale, and Stern you'd still want to secure a 700+ score, even as a Consortium applicant, ESPECIALLY if you want a crack at that fellowship from one of those schools.

After days of lurking around on this thread and book marking this thread it was this post and the dozens of others like it that I have read (not necessarily on this forum) that finally prompted me to become a member so that I could respond.
I hope my words do not offend anyone on this board. They are not meant to. Yet this post illustrates to me and at the most fundamental level what is so very wrong with business school admissions and why the average GMAT at the “top” schools continue to creep upwards year after year, when not one credible and scholarly source has been published showing a direct correlation with a high GMAT score and a successful businessman/woman or financier. Business schools have become slaves to rankings and quite predictably, we, the applicants have bought into them hook, line, and sinker. I was beating myself up over my "low" score until I realized it is just a freaking test! On algebra, geometry and idioms for god sakes!

There is more to an applicant than the freaking GMAT! If you want to be competitive you need to have a story. You need to stand out. You need to be different. And yes you need to let adcom know that you can handle the academic rigor of business school. I will be the first to admit that. But lets get away from this 700+ GMAT nonsense. Please. It’s absurd. I’m not trying to take away from those that score extremely well on the GMAT. But if we’re all trying to really get back to the Consortium’s mission then lets put our money where our mouth’s are and stop buying into this obsession of extraordinarily high GMAT scores, that after a certain threshold no longer serve any evaluative purpose. Rather, the inflated scores’ sole purpose is to move the business school up in the rankings, while inadvertently keeping black and latino admissions down, because of their typically lower GMAT numbers.

Don’t get me started on the business side of the GMAT, which includes Manhattan, Princeton Review, Knewton, etc. And yes I took Knewton and raised my score 100 points! But then again that’s my point right there. It’s painfully obvious the GMAT and the biz school admissions process in and of itself becomes a socioeconomically discriminatory process that inadvertently affects UDR’s more.

In any event, sorry for my rant but I’m just so tired of all this high GMAT talk like it’s really that serious. I applied to business school through the consortium and I did not score below 600 on the GMAT, nor did I score above 650. Nonetheless, if I am admitted into business school through the consortium you can bet one of my biggest goals/concerns that I will be bring up to my #1 choice is this seemingly pervasive attitude with obtaining a freakishly high GMAT score that continues to get higher each year. So pervasive in fact, white and other non-minority applicants seem to think blacks, latinos, and females are getting into business schools by the droves with drastically lower GMAT scores because of affirmative action. This clearly isn’t the case, judging by the pitifully low numbers of UDR’s in business schools across the country. Anyway, good luck to everyone. Again didn't mean to offend. Might see some of you next year.

Nothing offensive in what you've said. It's VERY true. I find myself constantly saying that "everyone is MORE than a GMAT score."

However, I sometimes have an issue with how URMs often downplay the GMAT. The GMAT was never intended to be an indicator of how good of a business person an applicant will be. However, there is a correlation between GMAT performance and 1st year MBA coursework performance. While the GMAT is NOT the only indicator of how well someone can handle the academic rigor of an MBA program it is one indication. If we are choosing to apply to business schools where the GMAT is part of the evaluative criteria then we are CHOOSING to be judged by our score, in part. We can't make that choice and then try to dictate how much weight the test should have when evaluating our candidacy.

I find that we do ourselves a disservice when we try to downplay the GMAT. It fuels the perception that we are being given an unfair break that other demographic groups don't receive. Now I will bet my bank account that URMs probably stand heads and shoulders above the general applicant pool in terms of leadership and ECs and are equals in terms of work experience. I don't think that someone who stands out from a GMAT perspective is any more qualified than someone who stands out from a leadership/EC perspective. Schools need a mix of both. However, I do get the impression that many URMs don't shoot to get those nosebleed GMAT scores that we see from other groups because we expect other aspects of the app to make up for it. I don't know how many times I've heard someone say, "Well I'm Black, so let me just get my 650 and call it a day." I will admit that I seriously considered retaking the GMAT even though I got a 710 (if I had more time I probably would have). Partially because I felt like I didn't perform to my potential in Verbal and that I needed a higher score to truly offset my GPA. But I also wanted to be in that 99th percentile and go where few URMs have gone. I wanted to show that we are just as capable of pushing up the school averages. I hated it when people would say, "You're black. You're a woman. A 710 is great for you!" I feel like we sometimes settle for just being good enough on the standardized test front when we have the ability to be OUTSTANDING.

So yes, the GMAT is only one data point and a 620 is no more the complete measure of a person than a 780 is. But I don't think it does URMs any favors to continue being content with having significantly lower scores than the general applicant pool.

The Brain Dump - From Low GPA to Top MBA (Updated September 1, 2013) - A Few of My Favorite Things--> http://cheetarah1980.blogspot.com

2 KUDOS received
VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 399 [2] , given: 73

Premium Member
Re: Calling All Fall 2012 Consortium Applicants! [#permalink] New post 06 Jan 2012, 15:40
This post received
KUDOS
Mbahopesful wrote:
cheetarah1980 wrote:
I think that's my point. The GMAT is part of the game.

Just so you know you quoted and unedited version of my post above.

And on this we can agree to disagree. Maybe I'm too naive. I think my point is this. I think the game is garbage. What I'm saying is that if we're really serious about the Consortium's mission--for those of us that applied through the Consortium--then we should be trying to change the game, not play it. Good luck to you. Over and out.

I agree, the game is garbage. However, by applying to top MBA programs I'm CHOOSING to play it. Complaining about the rules is like jumping into a football game and then complaining about how stupid the rules are when you have to turn the ball over on downs. Who cares if you could've moved the chains if you'd have just had one more chance. That's not how football is played. If you want more than 4 downs create your own game.

Personally, I don't feel as though the GMAT is an unfair measuring stick. It's a crappy test that forces you to think about high school math and English in a way that you didn't have to do it in high school. Yes there are some people who will struggle with the GMAT no matter how hard they study and these people exist across all demographics. And that is why the GMAT is only one of many measures that schools use. It is not the end all and be all, but it has its place. Like mixedin86 said, there are resources out there to crack the code and do well on it. Although these resources can be expensive the majority of b-school applicants aren't coming from low wage sectors. We're working in engineering, marketing, finance, sales, etc. with companies like JPMorgan, P&G, Google, General Mills, Deloitte, etc. Hell, a lot of our companies will PAY for our GMAT prep and one test fee (I know mine did). The URM applicant pool is not facing the same barriers to entry that the low-income high school student faces when trying to get to undergrad. Even those of us who used to be that high school kid can often afford some GMAT prep (a class, set of MGMAT books, etc.). I don't 100% buy the idea that we don't have the OPPORTUNITY to excel on test day(s).

I 1000% believe in the Consortium's mission. I spent most of my life as the only black person. Only black person in AP classes. Only black person in my study group. Only black person on my account team. I want to see more people that look like me. It shouldn't be a major event when a black woman makes it to a senior manager level at my company. It should be the norm. However, I think the Consortium is around to help us MEET and exceed the benchmarks top bschools and companies put in place, not remove them. I mean do you eliminate standardized tests for everyone? Or is it just URMs since we struggle with it in disproportionate numbers? I don't know if that's really the Consortium's goal.

If we want to change the game then I think that's great! But I think we have more credibility when trying to change it when we can say, "Look, I conquered things your way and your way is stupid so let's change things," vs, "I couldn't keep up with your way of doing things so your way is stupid. Let's change it." I can't speak for anyone else, but I'd rather do the former.

2 KUDOS received
UCLA Thread Master
Concentration: Finance
Schools: Cornell (Johnson) - Class of 2014
WE: Engineering (Telecommunications)
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 47 [2] , given: 76

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: Calling All Fall 2012 Consortium Applicants! [#permalink] New post 06 Jan 2012, 15:51
This post received
KUDOS
IIIIINNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN!!!!!! @ Johnson

Just got the call at 6:27 EST

In w/ invite to Scholarship Wknd! :lol:
2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Healthcare
GMAT 1: 610 Q39 V35
WE: Research (Venture Capital)

Kudos [?]: 8 [2] , given: 8

Re: Calling All Fall 2012 Consortium Applicants! [#permalink] New post 08 Jan 2012, 18:20
This post received
KUDOS
Hi! That's all I'm suppose to say, right?

2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 700 Q43 V44
GPA: 3.59

Kudos [?]: 9 [2] , given: 3

Re: Calling All Fall 2012 Consortium Applicants! [#permalink] New post 10 Jan 2012, 02:07
This post received
KUDOS
Hi everyone,

I just wanted to introduce myself and say hi. I was up burning the midnight oil, submitting my HBS application. Now that all the applications are out the way, I can have a little fun on these forums.

I'm applying to Haas, Anderson and Marshall through the Consortium in Round 2, ranked in that order.

And although my handle is a football reference, don't be fooled- I'm a woman. Go Patriots!
Re: Calling All Fall 2012 Consortium Applicants!   [#permalink] 10 Jan 2012, 02:07