Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 02 Sep 2014, 23:18

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Tuck 2012 - Calling All Applicants

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
Current Student
User avatar
Status: Chuffed
Affiliations: Tuck - Class of 2013
Joined: 08 Mar 2011
Posts: 96
Location: United States
Schools: Tuck '13 (M)
GMAT 1: Q V
GMAT 2: Q V
GMAT 3: Q V
GPA: 3.93
WE: General Management (Consumer Products)
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 2

Re: Calling All Fall 2012 Dartmouth (Tuck) Applicants [#permalink] New post 18 Jul 2011, 05:16
madzy wrote:
Hi,

I am basically interacts in investment management and am looking at schools to apply in the 1st deadline. I wanted to understand from someone the following :

1. How is Tuck's finance program rated?
2. I am 32 hence slightly older than the average MBA entrant. I would like to know whether that would be an issue with Tuck?
3. What are placements at Tuck like? D several finance firms recruit from Tuck? Specially investment management? I understand that networking is extremely essential for IM jobs. That I am willing to do. Which are the regular finance names at Tuck? Any hedge funds in there?

Appreciate your help.

Regards,
Madly


Hi Madzy,

I'm not a finance guy so I can't give you a great insight into that part of curriculum. Having said that, the Tuck program seems to be well respected across the board so I expect that to be true for finance.

You can see the latest employment stats here: http://www.tuck.dartmouth.edu/careers/employment-statistics/, and if you click around a bit you can see a list of top recruiters, the list is alphabetical so I can't tell you how many people go to each one.

According to my clear admit guide, a significant proportion of the class goes into financial services each year (somewhere between 28% and 35%), so you can be sure that there are opportunities in the areas you are interested in. My understanding is that there are many chances to interact and network with companies, and nearly all top companies have some Tuckies near the top of the hierarchy (there is a nice article about the Tuck alumni network here: http://poetsandquants.com/2011/05/30/best-b-school-alumni-networks/). As you can see you should be able to network your way to at least getting your foot in the door pretty much anywhere.

As far as your age goes I wouldn't worry too much, the person I am sharing an apartment with will be 31 at matriculation and there are people several years older than him. The only thing I would suggest is that you really nail down why you have waited this long and make sure that you present compelling reasons for doing so. The nice thing about Tuck is that because the interview is applicant initiated you'll definitely get a chance to discuss the issue with a real person and you don't have to worry about cramming it into your essays if you don't have room.

Hope that helps.

Sincerely,

RHB
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 13 Sep 2010
Posts: 88
Concentration: Finance, International Business
WE: Investment Banking (Venture Capital)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 22

Re: Calling All Fall 2012 Dartmouth (Tuck) Applicants [#permalink] New post 18 Jul 2011, 06:27
.

Last edited by washingtondc627 on 05 Jan 2012, 11:17, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 30 Jun 2011
Posts: 63
Concentration: Real Estate
Schools: Northwestern (Kellogg) - Class of 2014
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 7

Re: Calling All Fall 2012 Dartmouth (Tuck) Applicants [#permalink] New post 18 Jul 2011, 08:19
Does anyone have information on the real estate or green-technology/substainability curriculum at Tuck? I searched for relevant courses on the website but came up with one course titled "Real Estate". They have a real estate club that boasts its members as having real estate experience, aspriations, etc, so I was hoping for more of an offering.

Last edited by mbarealestate on 18 Jul 2011, 09:10, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Status: Applying
Joined: 13 Jul 2010
Posts: 125
Location: India
GPA: 3.48
WE: Asset Management (Investment Banking)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling All Fall 2012 Dartmouth (Tuck) Applicants [#permalink] New post 18 Jul 2011, 08:59
Hi RHB,

Thanks for your post, I will go through all of it and post any further question that I may have here.

Thanks again.

regards,
madzy
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 30 Jun 2011
Posts: 63
Concentration: Real Estate
Schools: Northwestern (Kellogg) - Class of 2014
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 7

Re: Calling All Fall 2012 Dartmouth (Tuck) Applicants [#permalink] New post 18 Jul 2011, 10:48
Wow, thanks for the help refurb. That was what I was looking for and then some.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 25 Jul 2010
Posts: 116
Location: United States
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 10

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling All Fall 2012 Dartmouth (Tuck) Applicants [#permalink] New post 19 Jul 2011, 08:59
Hi all, I plan to apply EA. I had an opportunity to visit on June 3rd and it was a lot of fun. I went for a walk downtown (so basically 3 blocks) and aside from the lack of a Chipotle, Starbucks, and a cute undergrad coed telling me that my hair was falling out at "really super faster rate" I came away feeling really good about Hanover.

My stats aren't the greatest. A little over a 3.0 from West Point and a little under 700 on the GMAT so I'm studying to retake. We are really going to put that "holistic" evaluation to the test. I'm pretty sure that since visiting I've become a sort of certified Tuck Stalker. I've been researching it quite a bit.

Good luck to all.
Current Student
User avatar
Status: Chuffed
Affiliations: Tuck - Class of 2013
Joined: 08 Mar 2011
Posts: 96
Location: United States
Schools: Tuck '13 (M)
GMAT 1: Q V
GMAT 2: Q V
GMAT 3: Q V
GPA: 3.93
WE: General Management (Consumer Products)
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 2

Re: Calling All Fall 2012 Dartmouth (Tuck) Applicants [#permalink] New post 19 Jul 2011, 09:29
Gryphon wrote:
Hi all, I plan to apply EA. I had an opportunity to visit on June 3rd and it was a lot of fun. I went for a walk downtown (so basically 3 blocks) and aside from the lack of a Chipotle, Starbucks, and a cute undergrad coed telling me that my hair was falling out at "really super faster rate" I came away feeling really good about Hanover.

My stats aren't the greatest. A little over a 3.0 from West Point and a little under 700 on the GMAT so I'm studying to retake. We are really going to put that "holistic" evaluation to the test. I'm pretty sure that since visiting I've become a sort of certified Tuck Stalker. I've been researching it quite a bit.

Good luck to all.


Research, Research, Research!

Tuck is definitely a program that rewards a comprehensive study and understanding of the program and its culture. I've mentioned the Clear Admit guides a few times now and I'm afraid I might be starting to sound like a salesman, however if you are serious about coming to Tuck then you should take whatever advantage you can. The guides were invaluable to me and I'm sure that they played a big role in my getting a place at the school. The Tuck interview guide was especially useful because it really helped me go into the applicant initiated interview with a solid idea of what would happen and my own agenda of what I wanted to achieve.

Remember Tuck is probably THE fit school. If you can really understand what the culture is like and show how you would slot into it perfectly then you will maximize your chance of success.

Best of luck,

RHB

Note: I am in no way affiliated with Clear Admit, the above is simply my experience with the company.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 25 Jul 2010
Posts: 116
Location: United States
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 10

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling All Fall 2012 Dartmouth (Tuck) Applicants [#permalink] New post 19 Jul 2011, 09:50
RHB wrote:
Gryphon wrote:
Hi all, I plan to apply EA. I had an opportunity to visit on June 3rd and it was a lot of fun. I went for a walk downtown (so basically 3 blocks) and aside from the lack of a Chipotle, Starbucks, and a cute undergrad coed telling me that my hair was falling out at "really super faster rate" I came away feeling really good about Hanover.

My stats aren't the greatest. A little over a 3.0 from West Point and a little under 700 on the GMAT so I'm studying to retake. We are really going to put that "holistic" evaluation to the test. I'm pretty sure that since visiting I've become a sort of certified Tuck Stalker. I've been researching it quite a bit.

Good luck to all.


Research, Research, Research!

Tuck is definitely a program that rewards a comprehensive study and understanding of the program and its culture. I've mentioned the Clear Admit guides a few times now and I'm afraid I might be starting to sound like a salesman, however if you are serious about coming to Tuck then you should take whatever advantage you can. The guides were invaluable to me and I'm sure that they played a big role in my getting a place at the school. The Tuck interview guide was especially useful because it really helped me go into the applicant initiated interview with a solid idea of what would happen and my own agenda of what I wanted to achieve.

Remember Tuck is probably THE fit school. If you can really understand what the culture is like and show how you would slot into it perfectly then you will maximize your chance of success.

Best of luck,

RHB

Note: I am in no way affiliated with Clear Admit, the above is simply my experience with the company.


I would have to agree, although I am just a hard-core Tuck aspirant. In relationship terms, Tuck's the girl that truly wants to be loved for who she is and not what you want her to be. She's not changing herself for you. She doesn't want to be your fallback option if things don't work out with the platinum blonde that is HBS.
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 02 Feb 2010
Posts: 246
Schools: Stern '13
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 42 [0], given: 16

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling All Fall 2012 Dartmouth (Tuck) Applicants [#permalink] New post 19 Jul 2011, 21:37
Gryphon wrote:
Hi all, I plan to apply EA. I had an opportunity to visit on June 3rd and it was a lot of fun. I went for a walk downtown (so basically 3 blocks) and aside from the lack of a Chipotle, Starbucks, and a cute undergrad coed telling me that my hair was falling out at "really super faster rate" I came away feeling really good about Hanover.

My stats aren't the greatest. A little over a 3.0 from West Point and a little under 700 on the GMAT so I'm studying to retake. We are really going to put that "holistic" evaluation to the test. I'm pretty sure that since visiting I've become a sort of certified Tuck Stalker. I've been researching it quite a bit.

Good luck to all.


You may not want to bother with retaking the GMAT if it's slightly under 700 (680?), especially if your quant is the higher score. Tuck's average GMAT is high but it isn't a GMAT obsessed school. I would just work on the essays and try to hit the interview out of the ballpark.
_________________

Like the response? Kudos it!

Current Student
User avatar
Status: Chuffed
Affiliations: Tuck - Class of 2013
Joined: 08 Mar 2011
Posts: 96
Location: United States
Schools: Tuck '13 (M)
GMAT 1: Q V
GMAT 2: Q V
GMAT 3: Q V
GPA: 3.93
WE: General Management (Consumer Products)
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 2

Re: Calling All Fall 2012 Dartmouth (Tuck) Applicants [#permalink] New post 20 Jul 2011, 03:26
Hi All,

Just found this article http://www.businessweek.com/bschools/content/oct2006/bs20061019_093706.htm, it's a bit old but still relevant with some good descriptions of classes and the atmosphere at Tuck.

I've also written a bit about the On-line MBA Math course on my blog, link in my sig.
Current Student
User avatar
Affiliations: CBS Class of 2014
Joined: 07 May 2011
Posts: 390
Concentration: Finance
Schools: CBS '14 (M)
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 8

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Calling All Fall 2012 Dartmouth (Tuck) Applicants [#permalink] New post 20 Jul 2011, 05:18
While a 680 may be sufficient to get into Tuck (clearly in the range) I would argue that retaking is still worth it. Reason being, depending on your post-mba career goals, firms like GS and McK prompt for your GMAT score as a general filter. While you can still probably bid for those interview slots on campus, it'll make things a lot easier if you just had a 7XX score. Aside for recruiting, it can't hurt your application either if you have the time to take the exam over. That's just my 2 cents and not worth a whole lot considering I'm also applying to Tuck this year but in doing post-mba research, that GMAT score will stick with you a bit beyond just your academics. Consider the articles and postings by UTexas and such where they encourage students, even if admitted, to retake the exam for a 7XX score due to many schools having no grade disclosure, therefore it's the only way for prospective employers to gauge vs the class. If you're not planning on MBB or GS/MS type of firms, then just ignore and hopefully I'll see you next fall!
_________________

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 27 Jan 2011
Posts: 8
Schools: Tuck (Jan round - Accepted), Darden (R2), Georgetown(R2-interview)
WE 1: Insurance Sales and Marketing, top US firm
WE 2: operations for hospitality/realestate firm
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling All Fall 2012 Dartmouth (Tuck) Applicants [#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2011, 06:27
madzy wrote:
Hi,

I am basically interacts in investment management and am looking at schools to apply in the 1st deadline. I wanted to understand from someone the following :

1. How is Tuck's finance program rated?
2. I am 32 hence slightly older than the average MBA entrant. I would like to know whether that would be an issue with Tuck?
3. What are placements at Tuck like? D several finance firms recruit from Tuck? Specially investment management? I understand that networking is extremely essential for IM jobs. That I am willing to do. Which are the regular finance names at Tuck? Any hedge funds in there?

Appreciate your help.

Regards,
Madly


Madzy,

I will be a first year at Tuck this fall and had similar questions/concerns when I was applying.

Check out Professor Ken French, he focuses on Investment Management. Also, French collaborates with Eugene Fama from U Chicago (very famous finance guy). French is also on the Board of Directors for Dimensional Fund Advisors.
Follow this link to his website:
http://mba.tuck.dartmouth.edu/pages/faculty/ken.french/
There are many other professors Like French at Tuck, he is just one example.

From a networking/recruiting standpoint you will have no problem as Tuck alum are exceptionally loyal and somewhat paternalistic toward current students.
One big name would be Chris Williams, founder of Williams Capital Group. And check out the website/LinkedIN for top hiring companies.

Hope this helps,

Jay
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 14 Jun 2011
Posts: 41
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 2

Re: Calling All Fall 2012 Dartmouth (Tuck) Applicants [#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2011, 13:15
Looking forward to applying to Tuck. Was there on June 3rd and really enjoyed the experience. Have a lot of Tuckies at work who loved their time there. Doing my GMATs this weekend.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 24 Oct 2009
Posts: 54
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 3

Re: Calling All Fall 2012 Dartmouth (Tuck) Applicants [#permalink] New post 22 Jul 2011, 00:33
Tuck2013, eestineiu, and RHB:

No greater demonstration of Tuck's community feeling than you guys helping us out here!!! Love the place for this feeling alone. And this is exactly the reason I am not in favour of Chicago, Columbia or LBS. Staying out in cities by yourself, it is easy to get lost in the usual stuff. The kind of relationships Tuck fosters is the one I am looking after..

Cheers guys for your offer of help....

One question, for you and other internationals here:

We love Tuck, true... but flying all the way across the globe, just to visit Tuck is a bit overboard for everyone... How does this "applicant initiated interview" process work for Internationals....
Current Student
User avatar
Status: Chuffed
Affiliations: Tuck - Class of 2013
Joined: 08 Mar 2011
Posts: 96
Location: United States
Schools: Tuck '13 (M)
GMAT 1: Q V
GMAT 2: Q V
GMAT 3: Q V
GPA: 3.93
WE: General Management (Consumer Products)
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 2

Re: Calling All Fall 2012 Dartmouth (Tuck) Applicants [#permalink] New post 22 Jul 2011, 02:15
FrozenTongue wrote:
Tuck2013, eestineiu, and RHB:

No greater demonstration of Tuck's community feeling than you guys helping us out here!!! Love the place for this feeling alone. And this is exactly the reason I am not in favour of Chicago, Columbia or LBS. Staying out in cities by yourself, it is easy to get lost in the usual stuff. The kind of relationships Tuck fosters is the one I am looking after..

Cheers guys for your offer of help....

One question, for you and other internationals here:

We love Tuck, true... but flying all the way across the globe, just to visit Tuck is a bit overboard for everyone... How does this "applicant initiated interview" process work for Internationals....


For me it was no problem, my girlfriend lives in Boston so I'm in the general vicinity of Tuck fairly often.

The only thing that is different about my app is that I actually hadn't been able to get over to Tuck prior to submitting my application and I was advised by one of the current students to call the adcom and explain that and see if I could have the interview sometime after. The adcom were very accommodating and worked with me to sort out an interview. You try getting an adcom at another school to do something different just for you... not going to happen.

Really as an international you have two options:

1 - Telephone / skype interview. Tuck doesn't penalize you for doing this and there are plenty of people who get in in this manner. If you feel you can perform well and represent yourself well in this kind of environment then go for it. If yo do go this route be sure to interact with some current students prior to your interview, Tuck wants to see that you have really taken the time to get to know the school. I did this by targeting some of the clubs I would be interested in joining and sending the presidents emails introducing myself and asking if they would be prepared to have a quick chat about the club and the school, every single one replied positively.

2 - Fly to the States. If you are applying to the several universities in the states then it is well worth the time to take a vacation and visit all the schools you are interested in. For me the trip to Tuck was worth every penny spent. I personally feel that I can represent myself face to face far better than on the phone, and I was able to get a really good feel for the campus. Compared to the overall cost of your MBA the cost of such a trip will be somewhat insignificant, and it will help your entire application, you will write better essays, better understand the school culture, and ultimately have a better chance of getting in.

Hope this helps.

RHB
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 25 May 2011
Posts: 388
Location: United States (CA)
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling All Fall 2012 Dartmouth (Tuck) Applicants [#permalink] New post 22 Jul 2011, 12:28
Reapplicant in for EA, hopefully i get some better luck this time around :)
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 07 Jul 2011
Posts: 84
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 6

Re: Calling All Fall 2012 Dartmouth (Tuck) Applicants [#permalink] New post 22 Jul 2011, 16:19
Tuck has posted the application/scholarship/interview deadlines. They can also be found on page 1.

http://www.tuck.dartmouth.edu/admission ... ant-dates/
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 24 Oct 2009
Posts: 54
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 3

Re: Calling All Fall 2012 Dartmouth (Tuck) Applicants [#permalink] New post 22 Jul 2011, 20:21
@RHB,

Thanks for your reply. I hope my inability to fly to US will not show me in bad light... I know that Tuck "fits" my style, and I will be happy joining it. I hope Tuck doesnt weigh my application in negative light just because of logistical difficulties (Visa, time, flight/ time zones) etc.


@Other internationals (Especially Indians like me)

What are you doing?? Can you share inputs from your friends who have tried for Tuck previously?
Manager
Manager
avatar
Status: Essays writing
Joined: 16 Apr 2011
Posts: 75
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy
GMAT 1: 690 Q47 V38
WE: Research (Health Care)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 1

Re: Calling All Fall 2012 Dartmouth (Tuck) Applicants [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2011, 07:17
For recommendation letters, Is recommender required filled online forms or paper based? Also for each questions in form space is limited. How you guys are approaching this.
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 07 Jul 2011
Posts: 84
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 6

Re: Calling All Fall 2012 Dartmouth (Tuck) Applicants [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2011, 07:56
app2012 wrote:
For recommendation letters, Is recommender required filled online forms or paper based? Also for each questions in form space is limited. How you guys are approaching this.


I believe it's all online. The recommender should stick to the required limits if they exist.
Re: Calling All Fall 2012 Dartmouth (Tuck) Applicants   [#permalink] 23 Jul 2011, 07:56
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
97 Experts publish their posts in the topic Tuck 2012 - Calling All Applicants Tuck2013 1382 07 Jul 2011, 11:49
4 Tuck 2012 - Calling all Waitlisted Applicants MBAWanderlust 104 12 Feb 2012, 03:22
17 Experts publish their posts in the topic IMD 2012 - Calling All Applicants birdy76 254 03 Feb 2011, 18:46
50 INSEAD 2012 - Calling All Applicants boeinz 1555 18 Dec 2010, 08:51
6 Calling all TUCK 2008 applicants yogeshsheth 563 17 Jul 2007, 19:40
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Tuck 2012 - Calling All Applicants

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  70    Next  [ 1383 posts ] 



GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.