Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 16:09

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Tuck 2012 - Calling All Applicants

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Technology
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 5

Re: Calling All Fall 2012 Dartmouth (Tuck) Applicants [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2011, 15:18
I recently started attending some Dartmouth alumni events in the bay area (DAASV) and the alumnis have all been great (wife has her undergrad from Dartmouth). Everyone is really down to earth, friendly, very generous, and proud of the the school and student body.

Some of the events the alumni group coordinates are absolutely amazing too! Last weekend my wife and I went to the DAASV event where they booked the USS Hornet for an overnight trip and pong (they claim to have invented it :-D ).

Tuck will definitely be on my list of top schools to apply to.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling All Fall 2012 Dartmouth (Tuck) Applicants [#permalink] New post 04 Aug 2011, 13:46
I was trying to schedule a campus visit and interview in the coming 2 months. But the online system kept saying that no results were found. I tried different search categories but it didn't work. Did anyone have the same problem?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V39
GPA: 3.13
WE: Corporate Finance (Aerospace and Defense)
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 43 [0], given: 46

Re: Calling All Fall 2012 Dartmouth (Tuck) Applicants [#permalink] New post 04 Aug 2011, 14:21
I don't think the scheduling system is live yet. I know the application still isn't online at least.

Posted from my mobile device Image

Go Blue!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Current Student
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 2

Re: Calling All Fall 2012 Dartmouth (Tuck) Applicants [#permalink] New post 04 Aug 2011, 18:12
khuo wrote:
I was trying to schedule a campus visit and interview in the coming 2 months. But the online system kept saying that no results were found. I tried different search categories but it didn't work. Did anyone have the same problem?

Based on my experience last year, the interview/visit schedule should be up anytime soon. When I was applying last year, I registered on Aug 12 though the system, for interview/visit on Sep 16. I would suggest that you continue monitoring the website for available time slots, while continue to read up and talk to alums for a good understanding of Tuck.

All the Best!
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V42
GPA: 3.3
WE: Engineering (Computer Hardware)

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling All Fall 2012 Dartmouth (Tuck) Applicants [#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2011, 19:25
I am in for R1.
Current Student
Affiliations: Tuck - Class of 2013
Schools: Tuck '13 (M)
GMAT 1: Q V
GMAT 2: Q V
GMAT 3: Q V
GPA: 3.93
WE: General Management (Consumer Products)
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 2

Re: Calling All Fall 2012 Dartmouth (Tuck) Applicants [#permalink] New post 08 Aug 2011, 03:03
For all of those researching the school the Tuck admissions blog is a good read: http://tuckschool.blogspot.com/
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.2
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling All Fall 2012 Dartmouth (Tuck) Applicants [#permalink] New post 08 Aug 2011, 06:21
In for early action. After visiting the school for the summer event on 29th July, I'm very much looking forward to apply.

My GMAT Story: tale-of-a-first-timer

Intern
Intern
Schools: Kellogg '14 (A)
GMAT 1: 710 Q V
GPA: 4

Re: Calling All Fall 2012 Dartmouth (Tuck) Applicants [#permalink] New post 10 Aug 2011, 08:41
In for early action
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V39
GPA: 3.13
WE: Corporate Finance (Aerospace and Defense)
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 43 [0], given: 46

Re: Calling All Fall 2012 Dartmouth (Tuck) Applicants [#permalink] New post 18 Aug 2011, 04:12
The online application is now live.

Good luck everyone!

Go Blue!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
Schools: Kellogg '14 (A)
GMAT 1: 710 Q V
GPA: 4

Re: Calling All Fall 2012 Dartmouth (Tuck) Applicants [#permalink] New post 18 Aug 2011, 13:55
RHB wrote:
I'll also be attending Tuck this September.

I'll also be happy to answer any questions that you have so please feel free to ask them here of pm me for a quicker response.

Right now I'm only qualified to answer questions regarding the application process but once I'm actually attending the school I'll be happy to answer whatever I can.

Just so you know, I applied in the April round, was waitlisted, and then finally accepted in June.

Good luck to everyone who is applying!

RHB

Thank you for all the great advice and information! I am just curious if you have any insight into the self-initiated interviews. Do you have a sense from your fellow classmates as to how many of them went with this option as opposed to the invitations? Is this a good option once you are waitlisted?

Just wanted to get your thoughts!
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy
GMAT 1: 690 Q47 V38
WE: Research (Health Care)

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 1

Re: Calling All Fall 2012 Dartmouth (Tuck) Applicants [#permalink] New post 18 Aug 2011, 16:16
Hey Guys,
How are you doing on Tuck essays? I am interested in knowing thoughts of current Tuck students on word count. I just finished my Tuck goal essay and the word count is 790 words.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy
GMAT 1: 690 Q47 V38
WE: Research (Health Care)

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 1

Re: Calling All Fall 2012 Dartmouth (Tuck) Applicants [#permalink] New post 18 Aug 2011, 20:46
rgupta83 wrote:
app2012 wrote:
Hey Guys,
How are you doing on Tuck essays? I am interested in knowing thoughts of current Tuck students on word count. I just finished my Tuck goal essay and the word count is 790 words.

Hey app2012, I am currently at 750 myself and I feel that it is too high. While Tuck provides no max, I think there are some extremes to that number. Given the recommended length is 500 I am shooting to get myself down to 600 words or less. Obviously I would not cut sentences and words that add value, but reading these forums there have been some good ideas out there.

The few that I remember are:

1. Read the essay backwards and see how it flows. There are probably organizational issues that can be found and sentences that become superfluous to the overall message.
2. Read the essay and look for weak sentences in paragraphs. These sentences either add no value and need to be removed, or are weak and need to be revised.
3. Have 2-3 other people read the essays. Ideally people who have applied to B-School. get their inputs and take their advice. Usually a fresh set of eyes will help cut out unnecessary words.

Regardless of what I have said, I would not take out anything you think adds value to the essay. You essay should portray you message and I would not do anything to sacrifice that.

Hope this helps.

Thanks Man! This is helpful.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 2

Re: Calling All Fall 2012 Dartmouth (Tuck) Applicants [#permalink] New post 19 Aug 2011, 07:49
kevintay wrote:
app2012 wrote:
Hey Guys,

I think Tuck does not have any hard and fast rule on the word count, though there is a guideline of 500 words per essay. IMHO it very much depends on the amount of meaning/relevant stuff you can share. I believe it is more important to write concisely and communicate your perspectives effectively, rather than sticking to the 500 word guideline as a strict limit. Getting friends to review your essays definitely helps. Personally, I had 697 words for my Tuck goal essay when I applied last year. My average word count is definitely more than 500 words per essay, though one of my essay has as few as 367 words.

Thanks for the post kevintay. I also wanted to add that wen I was visiting TUCK on June 3rd the admission panel said that they don't count the number of words, however, they did say that they can easily make out if someone has grossly written more than they should. They believe that an applicant should be able to write his/her essay in 500-600 words. They did say on occasion people might need more space but in most cases people should try to be as close to the word limit. Best of luck with the essay.
Current Student
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 6

Re: Calling All Fall 2012 Dartmouth (Tuck) Applicants [#permalink] New post 21 Aug 2011, 15:07
For those of you interested in the Diversity Conference the application is up:

http://mba.tuck.dartmouth.edu/pages/clu ... /info.html
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 8

Reviews Badge
Re: Calling All Fall 2012 Dartmouth (Tuck) Applicants [#permalink] New post 21 Aug 2011, 15:51
Does anyone know when the campus visit program that includes a class-visit start? Also, do the student initiated interviews start on the same date?
Current Student

Re: Calling All Fall 2012 Dartmouth (Tuck) Applicants [#permalink] New post 21 Aug 2011, 16:04
pkatmi wrote:
Does anyone know when the campus visit program that includes a class-visit start? Also, do the student initiated interviews start on the same date?

Classes don't start until September so definitely not earlier. I'm sure the schedule will be released very soon.
Manager
Manager

Reviews Badge
Re: Calling All Fall 2012 Dartmouth (Tuck) Applicants [#permalink] New post 21 Aug 2011, 18:57
Thanks 'Tuck2013' for your response to my previous question.

I have one more question - is the CSQ (Letter of Recommendation) form available on Tuck Website. If not, does anyone have access to the questions asked in the form.
Current Student

Re: Calling All Fall 2012 Dartmouth (Tuck) Applicants [#permalink] New post 21 Aug 2011, 19:14
Manager
Manager

Reviews Badge
Re: Calling All Fall 2012 Dartmouth (Tuck) Applicants [#permalink] New post 21 Aug 2011, 19:19
Tuck2013 wrote:
http://www.tuck.dartmouth.edu/uploads/content/csq_form.pdf

Brilliant. Thanks!
Manager
Manager

Reviews Badge
Re: Calling All Fall 2012 Dartmouth (Tuck) Applicants [#permalink] New post 21 Aug 2011, 19:32
Tuck2013 wrote:
http://www.tuck.dartmouth.edu/uploads/content/csq_form.pdf

"Please give examples in the space below to support any Top 5% or Bottom 20% ratings."

Wow .. that sounds like an awful lot of work for the recommender. So does that mean that recommenders usually give the top 5% on only a few qualities? I thought the recommender you're choosing is right behind you and thinks the world of you and so would give a top 5% on a lot of these.

Guys who've gotten in - can you please shed some light on this (obviously assuming that your recommender discussed this with you)
Re: Calling All Fall 2012 Dartmouth (Tuck) Applicants   [#permalink] 21 Aug 2011, 19:32