Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Sep 2014, 17:47

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Tuck 2012 - Calling All Applicants

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
VP
VP
Schools: Tuck
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 117 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: Tuck 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 16 Sep 2011, 22:31
Tuck2013 wrote:
tfincham86 wrote:
Just signed up for my interview/visit for October 17!

This will be my 2nd time coming up to Tuck as I came in July for a summer visit. I'm excited to see the school in action. Also, last time I was there I got in the night before, and then left right after, so I didn't have much time to explore the Hanover area. I'll have more time this time, so I have a question for any Tuck students/alum: Is there anywhere I should definitely check out during my time there? I'm trying to get the full idea of what it would be like living in Hanover.

Thanks!

Murphys is a popular bar/restaurant for Tuck students.

Nigel, the guy who owns Murphy's is a great guy. He loves Tuck students.

I don't know if it's reopened or not, but the best place in Hanover is 5 Olde. It's in the basement under Murphy's. Just before the summer of 2010, the ceiling collapsed and they had to shut down and it was still closed by the time I graduated.

It might be opened now and if it is, don't tell me, I might get sad that I can't come up and enjoy a beer. :(

RF

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Current Student
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 6

Re: Tuck 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 18 Sep 2011, 05:50
Tuck is a great place. Sorry, but just thought I would get that out there.
Manager
Manager
WE 1: Manufacturing
WE 2: Analytics
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 14

Re: Calling All Fall 2012 Dartmouth (Tuck) Applicants [#permalink] New post 19 Sep 2011, 09:37
MBAUncle wrote:
Tuck2013 wrote:
nittinj wrote:
was dinged w/o interview last year...completed feedback session few weeks back. I am an international applicant ( M/Indian/30/710/undergrad- IITB-top 5 in India/7 yrs in industrial sales, 2 yrs international work exp till date)..was given 2 specific feedbacks - work on essays, show your love for Tuck !

Any recommendations on how to address the 2nd point !

Visit the school. Also, Tuck has something called "Tuck Connections" that is good for prospective students. You sign up and a few days later they put you in contact with a current student/alumni with a similar background as yours. Another way to "show love" is to research all you can about the program.

Visit the school. Regarding Tuck, this phrase shall be written in large letters... 8-)

Hi - i will be applying to Tuck in EA 2011. Being an intl its tough for me to attend the school but i have been speaking to few alums to get the feel of the place. Will not visiting the school count against me?

2. Tuck doesn't specify the word limit..it says approx 500 words..i am reaching 440-450 words in most of my essays..falling short of word limit is perceived negatively or is it fine?

Thanks..
1 KUDOS received
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 16 [1] , given: 6

Re: Calling All Fall 2012 Dartmouth (Tuck) Applicants [#permalink] New post 20 Sep 2011, 10:41
This post received
KUDOS
[quote][/quote]

Are you an international student? 450 is fine. I had a couple of essays at about that length.
Director
Director
Status: My Thread Master Bschool Threads-->Krannert(Purdue),WP Carey(Arizona),Foster(Uwashngton)
Followers: 59

Kudos [?]: 151 [0], given: 57

GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: Tuck 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 20 Sep 2011, 11:08
Hi

I have 5.7 years of Work experience in IT recruitment(India)...though its not a Post graduate exp...I did my Graduation from University of delhi-B.COMP Correspondence.

After my High school i started working..I have a Diploma in aviation as well....

So i have few Ques's Hope some one can answer them..

1) With a graduation in correspondence can i apply to Tuck? If Yes,

2) What is the gmat score requirement? i know there is not fix score but on average?

Thank you

General GMAT useful links-->

Indian Bschools Accepting Gmat | My Gmat Daily Diary | All Gmat Practice CAT's | MBA Ranking 2013 | How to Convert Indian GPA/ Percentage to US 4 pt. GPA scale | GMAT MATH BOOK in downloadable PDF format| POWERSCORE CRITICAL REASONING BIBLE - FULL CHAPTER NOTES | Result correlation between GMAT and GMAT Club's Tests | Best GMAT Stories - Period!

More useful links-->

GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenarios| GMAT and MBA 101|Everything You Need to Prepare for the GMAT|New to the GMAT Club? <START HERE>|GMAT ToolKit: iPhone/iPod/iPad/Android application|

Verbal Treasure Hunt-->

"Ultimate" Study Plan for Verbal on the GMAT|Books to Read (Improve Verbal Score and Enjoy a Good Read)|Best Verbal GMAT Books 2012|Carcass Best EXTERNAL resources to tackle the GMAT Verbal Section|Ultimate GMAT Grammar Book from GC club [Free Download]|Ultimate Sentence Correction Encyclopedia|Souvik's The Most Comprehensive Collection Of Everything Official-SC|ALL SC Rules+Official Qs by Experts & Legendary Club Members|Meaning/Clarity SC Question Bank by Carcass_Souvik|Critical Reasoning Shortcuts and Tips|Critical Reasoning Megathread!|The Most Comprehensive Collection Of Everything Official- CR|GMAT Club's Reading Comprehension Strategy Guide|The Most Comprehensive Collection Of Everything Official- RC|Ultimate Reading Comprehension Encyclopedia|ALL RC Strategy+Official Q by Experts&Legendary Club Members

----
---
--
-

1 KUDOS = 1 THANK

Kick Ass Gmat

Intern
Intern
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 2

Re: Tuck 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 20 Sep 2011, 12:59
losttraveler wrote:
Goodluck to all those Tuck apps! Great school and I really loved my visit... unfortunately CBS edged out just a bit for me so I withdrew my app after getting my admit. Good news is... now 1 more seat will be open at Tuck! :P

Congrats! Hope you have a great time at CBS.
Manager
Manager
WE 1: Manufacturing
WE 2: Analytics
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 14

Re: Calling All Fall 2012 Dartmouth (Tuck) Applicants [#permalink] New post 21 Sep 2011, 07:43
Tuck2013 wrote:
Quote:

Are you an international student? 450 is fine. I had a couple of essays at about that length.

Yes i am an international..based out of India :) .. thanks for the reply
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.4
WE: Securities Sales and Trading (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 2

Re: Tuck 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 21 Sep 2011, 11:43
anyone going to the tuck event tonight @ yale club in nyc?

Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 118

Re: Tuck 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 21 Sep 2011, 18:16
anyone going to the tuck event at Hyderabad or Mumbai this November?

Moreover is it beneficial to attend the event after submitting the app? My understanding is that attending the event helps you get to know the school better and thus submit a better app. I am planning to submit before Oct deadline but the planned events in India are in Nov.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Phi Beta Kappa
Concentration: International Business, Other
Schools: Columbia - Class of 2014

Kudos [?]: 32 [1] , given: 9

Re: Tuck 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 22 Sep 2011, 05:21
This post received
KUDOS
shorttheworld wrote:

Shorttheworld (I'd be short too), I went yesterday. I also had my class visit, interview and that stuff in Hanover yesterday.. The people up there are so bloody friendly and nice, and while I haven't been accepted anywhere (yet - hopefully, touch wood), I kind of hope to only be accepted one place. That way I wouldn't have to deal with choosing. Because, although it is in NH (personally this wouldn't be an issue), it is a fantastic place. Academics are stellar - but this you would expect from any such school. What sets it apart in my opinion is the people and culture. What they say at their events is actually true. What are your thoughts on recruiting? Goldman had been there one day before, and given the class size of 270 people roughly, it must be "easier" to get an in with that? Then again, my friend who just graduated with 800 peers from Columbia also landed a sweet job...

My trip, and return leg, to Hanover:D :

Distance Time Mpg Speed
252.00 3.92 32.30 64.00
252.00 3.67 34.20 68.00
504.00 7.58 33.25 66.00

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3
WE: Consulting (Consulting)

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: Tuck 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 22 Sep 2011, 08:22
Hey guys I was filing out the application and there was a piece to describe how your international experience has impacted your life. How are you guys addressing this item?
Current Student

Re: Calling All Fall 2012 Dartmouth (Tuck) Applicants [#permalink] New post 22 Sep 2011, 09:16
kt780 wrote:
Tuck2013 wrote:
Quote:

Yes i am an international..based out of India :) .. thanks for the reply

There is a little more leeway with international students. Do keep in mind, however, that you will be competing against students that fly in from all over the world. I have met students that got in without flying to Hanover, interviewed over skype. So, it's possible but unless you have a decent excuse, you might be at a slight disadvantage.
Current Student

Re: Tuck 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 22 Sep 2011, 09:24
NoggieViking wrote:
shorttheworld wrote:

Shorttheworld (I'd be short too), I went yesterday. I also had my class visit, interview and that stuff in Hanover yesterday.. The people up there are so bloody friendly and nice, and while I haven't been accepted anywhere (yet - hopefully, touch wood), I kind of hope to only be accepted one place. That way I wouldn't have to deal with choosing. Because, although it is in NH (personally this wouldn't be an issue), it is a fantastic place. Academics are stellar - but this you would expect from any such school. What sets it apart in my opinion is the people and culture. What they say at their events is actually true. What are your thoughts on recruiting? Goldman had been there one day before, and given the class size of 270 people roughly, it must be "easier" to get an in with that? Then again, my friend who just graduated with 800 peers from Columbia also landed a sweet job...

My trip, and return leg, to Hanover:D :

Distance Time Mpg Speed
252.00 3.92 32.30 64.00
252.00 3.67 34.20 68.00
504.00 7.58 33.25 66.00

Tuck is indeed a great place. With that being said, Tuck isn't your typical finance school. Tuck does have a good finance curriculum but maybe won't rival that of CBS. In my opinion it does, but hey, I'm very biased. What Tuck does attract are all the big banks, and plenty of small ones. There are plenty of alums in all the banks and the alums like to take care of Tuckies so getting to IB from Tuck takes work, but the percentages are pretty high (from what I've heard). For not being a pure finance school, there are plenty of opportunities. There are opportunities in PE/VC as well.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 10

GMAT Tests User
Re: Tuck 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 23 Sep 2011, 05:25
With respect to IB recruiting/placement, Tuck appears to do just fine. I am not in the industry so take it with a grain of salt, but in talking to members of the Tuck Armed Forces group that did IB interships, banking is more about "fit" than excel skills. Banks just need people to churn through the work. They want someone reliable that they won't want to kill after being awake for 40 hours. Tuck students, by virtue of the emphasis on group projects and collegial nature of the LLC, naturally thrive in this environment. If you want to get into the hardcore analytical rigor of capital markets, there are probably better programs (Booth, CBS, Wharton). That said, the Theory to Practice seminars at Tuck could conceivably fill this need if you want to pursue it.

On another note, I attended a Tuck Reception in DC last night. Christie St. John hosted the event. If there's one thing I respect about Tuck it's that its people have the courage to come out and say "We're not for everyone." It's definitely my favorite school. All things being equal (though they never are), I would have a hard time choosing a school like HBS or Stanford over Tuck...if I were to get into each of them. Regardless, I put together my personal ranking of schools based on which ones placed the most emphasis on hockey. Tuck was the clear front-runner after conducting this critical self-analysis :P
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Phi Beta Kappa
Concentration: International Business, Other
Schools: Columbia - Class of 2014

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 9

Re: Tuck 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 23 Sep 2011, 06:43
Gryphon wrote:
With respect to IB recruiting/placement, Tuck appears to do just fine. I am not in the industry so take it with a grain of salt, but in talking to members of the Tuck Armed Forces group that did IB interships, banking is more about "fit" than excel skills. Banks just need people to churn through the work. They want someone reliable that they won't want to kill after being awake for 40 hours. Tuck students, by virtue of the emphasis on group projects and collegial nature of the LLC, naturally thrive in this environment. If you want to get into the hardcore analytical rigor of capital markets, there are probably better programs (Booth, CBS, Wharton). That said, the Theory to Practice seminars at Tuck could conceivably fill this need if you want to pursue it.

On another note, I attended a Tuck Reception in DC last night. Christie St. John hosted the event. If there's one thing I respect about Tuck it's that its people have the courage to come out and say "We're not for everyone." It's definitely my favorite school. All things being equal (though they never are), I would have a hard time choosing a school like HBS or Stanford over Tuck...if I were to get into each of them. Regardless, I put together my personal ranking of schools based on which ones placed the most emphasis on hockey. Tuck was the clear front-runner after conducting this critical self-analysis :P

Very fair points - but in being honest with oneself, I think turning down HBS would be difficult.. I LOVE the place, the culture and the people, but I could concievably see me having a tough time turning down HBS. Probably won't have to deal with that situation though. A good indication for me personally with Tuck is the fact that it is so easy to demonstrate my fit, and why I truly would enjoy Tuck in a truthfully honest manner. Because it's how I really feel.

As mentioned earlier, I still hope I only get in to one school :P

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.4
WE: Securities Sales and Trading (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 2

Re: Tuck 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 23 Sep 2011, 07:06
anyone have any tips as for things they ask during the on campus interview and also i have an 11 o clock visit/interview set up, how will that play out? tour and class first then interview or does it vary based on the time? applying EA :)

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V41
GPA: 3.5
WE: Accounting (Accounting)

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Re: Tuck 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 23 Sep 2011, 07:57
Why Tuck has so many essays/short answers to write:( Not to mention the another 500 words essay for international students to apply financial aid.
Current Student
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V45
GPA: 3.37
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)

Kudos [?]: 151 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: Tuck 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 23 Sep 2011, 08:22
I visited/interviewed at Tuck on Monday (the 19th).

It's a pretty amazing place. If you haven't visited, I highly recommend it.
Current Student

Re: Tuck 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 24 Sep 2011, 05:03
shorttheworld wrote:
anyone have any tips as for things they ask during the on campus interview and also i have an 11 o clock visit/interview set up, how will that play out? tour and class first then interview or does it vary based on the time? applying EA :)

From what I recall it's nothing out of the ordinary. Know your resume and know Why Tuck. I'm not sure what the schedule is but what time were you asked to arrive on campus?
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V40
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 3

Reviews Badge
Re: Tuck 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 24 Sep 2011, 12:00
Hi All,

Any idea when Tuck Connections would open? Have been visiting the site quite often, but no luck..

GMAT: 750 Q51 V40
GMAT Prep1: 740 Q50 V40 ; GMAT Prep2: 760 Q49 V44; MGMAT1: 700 Q48 V37; Kaptest: 710 Q47 V41; GMAT Prep3: 760 Q50 V44
10-days-before-the-gmat-103450.html

Re: Tuck 2012 - Calling All Applicants   [#permalink] 24 Sep 2011, 12:00